HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Oct 2, 2021, 2:34 AM
クラブトクヨ

Quote:
Originally Posted by myBrain View Post
It would also be one of the most out-of-the-box, riskiest, and modern supertall designs in the US (say what else you will about the aesthetics). It's not some kind of PoMo pillar or pinstriped obelisk, it's like a weird surfing lighthouse. It's not gonna look like anything else in the country.
This! I think it will be one of most interesting supertalls in recent years, especially for the US and of all places itty bitty Austin. Quite incredible.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2021, 4:10 AM

Let's try to get a 1250 footer next. Everyone, please go ahead and call your billionaire friends, thank you!

Old Posted Oct 2, 2021, 4:30 AM
Avon calling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
Kevin. No disrespect. Did you see my source? Obviously not. It was from the CTBUH!

Also, Google Earth will never be an official source. No matter what you may think of it. It's a great "guide," but will never be the rule.

Again, no disrespect, but you do not have the singular power to determine the official height of any given tower.
Yes, I saw the source, which makes me question both heights, though, again, I can at least measure the building and get 1,040 feet.

I trust Google Earth, again, since many times the heights I get with it are the same as the ones the architects had printed on the elevations.

And there should be a singular official height. I'm not saying I have to be the source, but having a bunch of different numbers floating around cause confusion and doubt about the true height of a building. As for the CTBUH - the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat, I've been contributing heights for them on and off for 20+ years.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2021, 5:27 PM

It's ok Kev, I dub thee the Lord of height. You have my approval.
1,040 would be sweet! And yes angry camel, let's get that 1250 footer. C'mon Austin, you got this!

Old Posted Oct 2, 2021, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enragedcamel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I really like this tower! It is very Avant-Garde and very Austin! This super tall, what ever the eventual height, is out of the main stream, just like we like to think Austin is....a bit weird, unusual, different and accepting of "The Other," whatever that may be.

The different sections do blend in both color and material. Bluish glass and orangish verticals and diagonals along with white verticals and horizontals highlight all three sections. These three sections are connected by similar canted white pillars, which repeat on the crown. The large crown has large pillars and a slanted roof, which will likely be illuminated from within.

Not your ordinary box, you bet, and I really embrace it. Other towers, both built and proposed are in the same vein of "Non-Standard" which have added and will add to our great skyline. Keep them coming. Keep Austin Not Ordinary.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2021, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTex View Post
I really like this tower! It is very Avant-Garde and very Austin! This super tall, what ever the eventual height, is out of the main stream, just like we like to think Austin is....a bit weird, unusual, different and accepting of "The Other," whatever that may be.

The different sections do blend in both color and material. Bluish glass and orangish verticals and diagonals along with white verticals and horizontals highlight all three sections. These three sections are connected by similar canted white pillars, which repeat on the crown. The large crown has large pillars and a slanted roof, which will likely be illuminated from within.

Not your ordinary box, you bet, and I really embrace it. Other towers, both built and proposed are in the same vein of "Non-Standard" which have added and will add to our great skyline. Keep them coming. Keep Austin Not Ordinary.
While I am so excited for this one to break ground, I don't think it necessarily screams avante-garde. I think it could use some very slight tweaks, maybe twist the tower like the revised T. Stacy back in the day....I wish I could find a render of that ol' thing (5th & brazos location?).

To be fair, if we got this in 2008, I would've peepee'd my pants.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2021, 5:18 PM
Avon calling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
While I am so excited for this one to break ground, I don't think it necessarily screams avante-garde. I think it could use some very slight tweaks, maybe twist the tower like the revised T. Stacy back in the day....I wish I could find a render of that ol' thing (5th & brazos location?).

To be fair, if we got this in 2008, I would've peepee'd my pants.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2021, 6:00 PM
Member since 2001

I hope you both didn't just jinx this tower by mentioning Tom Stacy!

Old Posted Oct 4, 2021, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post

This was the rendering that got me to start following this website. Can I haz this on the post office block pretty please?

Old Posted Oct 4, 2021, 8:36 PM

Photo of the site prep:

From Stephen R. on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/TheATX1/status/1445124769922355213

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2021, 8:50 PM
Voice of the Modern World

Dreams do come true

Old Posted Oct 4, 2021, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
Photo of the site prep:

From Stephen R. on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/TheATX1/status/1445124769922355213
It's already in the site prep stage?? If so, should thread title be updated?

Old Posted Oct 4, 2021, 10:23 PM

That's highly debatable. The site plan revision is not yet approved which equals "Proposed". It is "Site Prep" by definition, but that implies an official groundbreaking which has not happened. It could also be "Demo" since the buildings were previously demolished for the site plan being revised. Also, this Site Prep could also be considered Demo since they are apparently focusing on foundation removal. Pick one.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2021, 11:22 PM

Thanks for the pics, Kev! That first grainy render was a jawdropper for me way back. I think we had all been waiting so long for the damn thing to start and having it grow TALLER was just too good to be true.....luckily, we are in a verrrrry different market.

But yeah, wish this got the twist and some more non blue glass.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2021, 7:42 AM

Quote:
That's highly debatable. The site plan revision is not yet approved which equals "Proposed". It is "Site Prep" by definition, but that implies an official groundbreaking which has not happened. It could also be "Demo" since the buildings were previously demolished for the site plan being revised. Also, this Site Prep could also be considered Demo since they are apparently focusing on foundation removal. Pick one.
Knowing there's crew working on site I'll take any definition of what y'all consider "site prep". It's exciting to know that Austin will finally become one of the big boys once this tower complete. I will say this, as a Houstonain I'm honor that Austin will have the tallest tower in Texas.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2021, 10:23 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
I choose “Completed” because I’m impatient. Thanks.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2021, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
I hope you both didn't just jinx this tower by mentioning Tom Stacy!
seriously lol.... F-ing Tom Stacy gets nothing done.

Old Posted Yesterday, 12:40 AM

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin