HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Central Park Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 10:48 AM

I don't understand all the hate on this building lol definitely the best super tall in billionaires row in my opinion haha steinway is too skinny and 432 park is just boring, CPT actually has more than 5 sides like 432 park. Plus its shiny glass. But whatever, its good that not everyone thinks exactly the same lol

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 4:45 PM

^ it's just that when you see the designs of supertalls going up all over the world (including in NYC) over the past 10 years or so, and then you see the design of this one, well...

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 6:40 PM
DENNAB

The only thing that's really special is the cantilever, which is kind of odd looking and not even visible on the skyline. It is quite a feat of engineering though.

The building overall isn't terrible, but some of the designs overseas and in the US blow it out of the water. Even 70's supertalls like Sears or the original WTC are more interesting to me, let alone the ultra futuristic ones of today.

Breaking the height barrier needed to happen though, as the US is major a superpower. I guess you can't have it all, at least not yet. Hopefully we get a taller and more interesting looking building in the near future.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 2:01 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Dude View Post
I don't understand all the hate on this building lol definitely the best super tall in billionaires row in my opinion haha steinway is too skinny and 432 park is just boring, CPT actually has more than 5 sides like 432 park. Plus its shiny glass. But whatever, its good that not everyone thinks exactly the same lol

Shiny glass doesn't really make a building special. There's plenty of that to go around. I do think the facade is nice. But after a certain height, and prominence on the skyline, you just have to do better.
This would have been a fine 700 footer. At 1,550 ft, the banality is too much. What makes it worse is that it's on the New York skyline, with it's long history of iconic buildings. This building almost doesn't want to be seen.

https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/n...?adppopup=true

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 3:20 AM

^ "almost doesn't want to be seen" is a good way to put it.

In those photos above, my eye goes to it because it's the tallest, but quickly finds 10 other buildings in the frame which make much more of a statement.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 7:52 AM
Crane Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Shiny glass doesn't really make a building special. There's plenty of that to go around. I do think the facade is nice. But after a certain height, and prominence on the skyline, you just have to do better.
This would have been a fine 700 footer. At 1,550 ft, the banality is too much. What makes it worse is that it's on the New York skyline, with it's long history of iconic buildings. This building almost doesn't want to be seen.

https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/n...?adppopup=true

This skyscraper really should have had its spire. I noticed something else though- looks like there's some scaffolding on the crown of 787 7th Avenue, on the north side. I wonder what's up with that?
"Prayers are fleeting and wars are forgotten, but what is built endures"
-Ambassador DeLenn, Babylon 5

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 1:39 AM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 3:43 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 2:43 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 3:16 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 11:32 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 6:35 PM
Ex Houstonian

I know its said all the time on here but man, it sure needed an antenna.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 7:11 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
I know its said all the time on here but man, it sure needed an antenna.
I was looking at this building yesterday, it’s very visible from Times Square. It should have been a distinctive landmark, but it’s so unbelievably plain for such a tall building. But I’m sure Barnett will make his money.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 2:32 AM

I have to add my agreement to the feeling that as impressive in height Central Park Tower is, it sure lacks distinctiveness. It needed I think even more importantly rather than a spire a classic, distinctive crown. I hate relative flat tops especially for buildings this prominent. Barnett won't lose any money over this, but would have been nice to have an iconic presence. Well, it's most certainly tall, and not bad looking. I wished it could be just a bit more.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 3:08 AM

I feel where this building will excel best at is at night when it'll be lit up by all manner of LEDs. While I'd love for it to have an awe-inspiring presence on the skyline, few note the ornate details on many art deco buildings at night unless their crown is lit up similar to ESB.

This one will be more recognizable at night than 432 Park for sure. Could it have been better? Of course! When it lost the spire, it lost its place in my mind as a great addition and more of a placeholder for completing the 2030+ skyline! With 111 W 57th also lit at night, this part of NY is going to shine fairly bright!

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 10:11 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I was looking at this building yesterday, it’s very visible from Times Square. It should have been a distinctive landmark, but it’s so unbelievably plain for such a tall building. But I’m sure Barnett will make his money.
Extell will make a ton.

Gary assembled this land long ago.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 2:37 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Jan 30, 2021, 3:02 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Jan 31, 2021, 9:26 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Super tall orgy!

Credit: Tectonic

Old Posted Feb 1, 2021, 6:20 PM
New Yorker for life

Last edited by NYguy; Feb 1, 2021 at 6:53 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive