HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 4:50 PM

Final East Market towers to be designed by Jewish History Museum architect Ennead

Quote:
A team involving Ennead Architects, the New York-based firm whose past projects include Philadelphia’s National Museum of American Jewish History, is designing a pale glass medical office tower and a terra-cotta residential building for the yet-to-be redeveloped southern portion of the East Market project site in Center City.

The plans for the 23-story medical building and the 24-story (but shorter) tower with 396 dwelling units are scheduled to be reviewed Dec. 3 by Philadelphia’s Civic Design Review board, which offers nonbinding suggestions about the city’s biggest development proposals as part of the building-approval process.

The medical and residential towers to be designed by Ennead would rise on the Chestnut Street-facing portion of the site, where an art deco parking structure slated for demolition now stands.
Read more here:
https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...-20191121.html

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 2:13 AM
PHL

Fantastic project!

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 1:23 PM

Sidewalk barriers were being completed on Friday along entire block. Seems like the existing building is finally about to come down.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 5:32 AM

Not an update, but an actual quote from CDR:

Quote:
The CDR committee expressed sadness at seeing the removal of the Art Deco parking garage, but acknowledges that the site is gaining a wonderful project

Old Posted Dec 20, 2019, 1:42 AM

I wish CDR had trashed the project. Although I would havd liked a taller bldg(s), my real problem is the med tower is at best,plain. In looking at their portfolio, there is nothing to suggest that Ennead was the right choice. If you're going to build short, at least do something noteworthy.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2019, 2:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alasi View Post
I wish CDR had trashed the project. Although I would havd liked a taller bldg(s), my real problem is the med tower is at best,plain. In looking at their portfolio, there is nothing to suggest that Ennead was the right choice. If you're going to build short, at least do something noteworthy.
I’d call that terra-cotta building noteworthy.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2019, 3:56 AM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
agreed, that building looks like it could be a special. I'd be glad to have a few more built like that.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2019, 5:10 AM

I'm more focused on the Med Tower. I'm hoping that it doesn't turn out like Ennead's Sloan Kettering design.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
The residential tower is pretty noteworthy. If it's built as rendered. I don't really care about the medical tower. It will serve its functional purpose and meet the streetscape well. It's fine for it to be a background building and let the residential tower and other fine buildings in its immediate vicinity like Stephen Girard, Beneficial Savings Bank, the White Building and the Steele Building to take center stage.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2019, 12:08 PM

I'm going to start including my at home sea level height vs how tall I am on dating apps. Many will find it strange, but I think it will attract the right type of woman.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2019, 4:09 PM

they have expanded the barricades on chestnut to cover the parking lane- now only one lane on the 1100 block of chestnut. Also several street lights, traffic lights and trolley poles have been removed along 11th, 12th and chestnut- the demo is about to get into gear

Old Posted Dec 23, 2019, 4:19 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
they have expanded the barricades on chestnut to cover the parking lane- now only one lane on the 1100 block of chestnut. Also several street lights, traffic lights and trolley poles have been removed along 11th, 12th and chestnut- the demo is about to get into gear
big undertaking...but definitely needed.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2019, 1:33 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Emended the title because, according to my sources, this is actually properly Phase 3 of the site (Phase I being the renovation of the Snellenburg's annex, and Phase II being the buildings along Market Street as well as the Stephen Girard Building renovation).

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Dec 24, 2019, 2:04 PM

Quote:
In looking at their portfolio, there is nothing to suggest that Ennead was the right choice. If you're going to build short, at least do something noteworthy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
I’d call that terra-cotta building noteworthy.
Do you mean the East Market building or something else in their portfolio. Ennead is only doing the glass building. The terracotta building is Morris Adjmi.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2019, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
Do you mean the East Market building or something else in their portfolio. Ennead is only doing the glass building. The terracotta building is Morris Adjmi.
Someone who definitely has a strong track record. And who did a nice job with the Roost Hotel: https://www.dezeen.com/2019/04/27/ro...-morris-adjmi/

Old Posted Dec 24, 2019, 2:53 PM
Philly Pholly

I've become a big fan of Morris Adjmi

Old Posted Dec 24, 2019, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
Alas,I wish the opposite were true. The medical tower will have a greater impact due to its c9rner location and size.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2019, 1:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post

Lots of work was going on in the back of the garage (next to the Stephen Girard building--which is looking awesome again).

When these two buildings are completed, the transformation of these blocks when looking back say 10 years ago, stunning.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2020, 5:21 AM

Coming down...

Philadelphia. by Scott Rosenthal, on Flickr

Old Posted Jan 6, 2020, 6:19 AM

Finally. Felt like it was taking forever.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive