HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

South Street Seaport Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 24, 2015, 1:31 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.nyunews.com/2015/02/24/hu...itive-overall/

Hughes Seaport plan positive overall

Zahra Haque, Staff Writer
February 24, 2015

Quote:
The South Street Seaport, a historic district in Lower Manhattan that sits on the East River waterfront, now looks like a mere ghost of its former glory. Once a thriving port and commercial district, it is now quiet, decrepit and largely devoid of cultural life. Although it is a truly historic community, the South Street Seaport needs new developments. Consequently, the Howard Hughes Corporation created a $1.5 billion redevelopment plan to rejuvenate the long-dilapidated site and improve infrastructure.

Part of the plan includes a 494-foot condominium tower in the seaport. The plan has inflamed some preservation societies and local officials, however, as the tower would obstruct views of the Brooklyn Bridge and interrupt the area’s rich architectural landscape. While these complaints are valid, the economic advantages of building the tower far outweigh the aesthetics sacrifice.

The tower would accommodate 150 market-rate apartments with an additional 60 to 70 affordable housing units built on nearby Schermerhorn Row. In addition to increasing housing in a city that is facing a housing crisis, the tower would bring in revenue to finance other projects in the community, as per the redevelopment plan. These projects include revamping the 1903 Tin Building, improving the failing South Street Seaport Museum, extending the East River Esplanade to better utilize waterfront access and building a public middle school that can double as a community center. Such changes would help restore the seaport’s former cultural significance and make it more livable for residents.

Furthermore, the Howard Hughes plan would provide much-needed structural repairs. The damages caused by Hurricane Sandy in 2012 pushed the South Street Seaport into a decline it has yet to fully recover from. Reconstructing the piers is a goal that opponents and proponents of the tower alike seek to accomplish.

Opponents, such as Manhattan borough president Gale A. Brewer, want the city to take on this initiative rather than letting Howard Hughes enter the picture. Unfortunately, the seaport has rarely enjoyed adequate government funding. It is perhaps too idealistic, then, to expect the city to shoulder the exorbitant costs of this project. The revenue generated by the tower, on the other hand, would make redevelopment feasible without the need to rely on constrained public sector funds.

Opponents of Howard Hughes must realize that the tower is the key to actualizing the other community projects.
Although some feel the condos will compromise historical and architectural beauty, this is not the case as the funds generated are meant to both improve the area and improve its historical charm. The tower is not an end in and of itself, but rather a means to deliver the capital for the infrastructural revitalization that the South Street Seaport so desperately needs.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2015, 9:23 PM
New Yorker for life

The circus is at it again...

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...seaport-revamp

Pols want to boot developer behind $1.5 billion project
Manhattan Borough President Gale Brewer and Councilwoman Margaret Chin say they are in talks with developers to come up with an alternative to Howard Hughes Corp.'s plan at the South Street Seaport.

BY JOE ANUTA
FEBRUARY 26, 2015

Quote:
Manhattan Borough President Gale Brewer and City Councilwoman Margaret Chin are in talks with several developers with the aim of proposing alternatives to Howard Hughes Corp.’s planned revamp of the South Street Seaport, the lawmakers told Crain’s Thursday. The existing plan includes a controversial 494-foot spire.

“[The tower] is out of context for a historic district,” Ms. Brewer said in an interview, doubling down on her long-standing opposition to the residential development. "We have been talking to other developers, but it has been very back-of-the-napkin."

Ms. Brewer said several firms have come up with alternative strategies, but the discussions have not coalesced into a concrete proposal.

The tower would rise on a pier just outside the landmarked South Street Seaport Historic District. And though the apartment building would stand within the borders of state and federal historic registry areas, such designations would not prevent its construction.

Ms. Brewer and Ms. Chin declined to reveal the names of the developers they are conferring with or when a proposal might be forthcoming, but both said a new plan might simply drop the tower.

Howard Hughes is proposing a $1.5 billion revamp of the seaport district, which will include a public promenade, a retail center and events space along with the restoration of several historic buildings and affordable housing. The proposal would also provide funding to the Seaport Museum.

To help fund the public amenities, which Howard Hughes pegs at about $300 million, the developer argues that the residential tower is needed. Howard Hughes' proposal is supported by a number of organizations, including the Downtown Alliance and the Manhattan Chamber of Commerce.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2015, 11:56 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

A new avatar for submariner!

Quote:
“[The tower] is out of context for a historic district,” Ms. Brewer said in an interview, doubling down on her long-standing opposition to the residential development. "We have been talking to other developers, but it has been very back-of-the-napkin."
No no no... this is about the views of those selfish residents, not about the historical aspect. Btw, Gale Brewer looks like an orange thumb.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 12:52 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Gale Brewer looks like an orange thumb.
She's just annoying. I don't know who's worse, her or the man she replaced, Scott Stringer. Both panderers.

Quote:
Ms. Brewer said several firms have come up with alternative strategies, but the discussions have not coalesced into a concrete proposal.

In other word, they've come up with nothing. Let them choose someone else, and we'll see what they get.

Quote:
Ms. Brewer and Ms. Chin declined to reveal the names of the developers they are conferring with or when a proposal might be forthcoming, but both said a new plan might simply drop the tower.
Good luck with that.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 1:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
LOL, I don't get why people say this building will hurt the "historic character" of the area. It's a skyscraper on the opposite side of the elevated FDR. If the FDR didn't hurt the "historic character", then nothing will.
amen. amen.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 2:42 AM
DENNAB

ugh that woman just looks like an idiot.

It's not even 500 feet tall and shorter than most of it's neighbors and they're still referring to it as a "megatower".

buncha drama queens. They'll have a heart attack when the 1000+ foot building goes up next door (which I believe it's still planned too correct me if wrong).

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 4:01 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

^^^^

I remember reading on a project which was 13 floors couple months ago, and the residents referred to it as a "monstrosity" because it had 7 extra floors than the usual 5 or 6 in that Queens neighborhood. I forget the address, but such language.

Still, Manhatten NIMBY's aren't as bad as the ones in Queens. And the thing is, these people come in the hundreds. During odd times for these "community" meetings, which makes me wonder, don't they work? Its one thing to go on a weekend or after 6pm, but not at 10am on a Monday.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 4:09 AM

I hate how these fools act so entitled to having the city built just how they like. Who are they to decide what gets built and what doesn't? Its bad enough that they got the height reduced but they have the nerve to keep complaining. Amazing.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 2:49 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ploppalopp View Post
I hate how these fools act so entitled to having the city built just how they like. Who are they to decide what gets built and what doesn't? Its bad enough that they got the height reduced but they have the nerve to keep complaining. Amazing.
That's the problem with caving in to NIMBYs, which the developer didn't have to do. The height was reduced, and still, still they are unhappy. I'm convinced it could be 5 stories, and they'll be grumbling about "historic character", and other nonsense.

About 41 minutes into this video, Gregg pasquarelli talks about the building, which would be laced in purple terracotta.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPw4Oy4IocE

http://www.tribecatrib.com/content/n...ug-war-resumes

http://sieberinternational.com/w/wp-...s/IMG_0434.jpg

Last edited by NYguy; Feb 27, 2015 at 3:30 PM.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 11:04 PM
Walk taker

That tower looks like a hot mess on par with the William Beaver House. It will stick out like a sore thumb - I honestly can't understand why everyone is trumpeting for it.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2015, 5:19 AM
Homo sapiens sapiens

My gosh, and I thought Gale couldn't be more obnoxious. She needs to be isolated from the NIMBYs; they only fuel her engine.

"...it has been very back-of-the-napkin." --A little insulting to SHoP and the developer. Meanwhile, she ignores what Sam Chang is doing in the Garment District?

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Old Posted Feb 28, 2015, 5:26 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobEss View Post
That tower looks like a hot mess on par with the William Beaver House. It will stick out like a sore thumb - I honestly can't understand why everyone is trumpeting for it.

The issue of the design (which I think isn't bad) has nothing to do with the issue of whether or not a tower should or could be built there. Nobody's been talking about the design.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2015, 7:55 AM
Everywhere all at once

At this point, if I was the CEO of Howard Hughes, I would just abandon the entire project, stop work at the new shopping complex midway, and let Pier 17 and the historic structures decay until they fall into the East River. And when the NIMBYs ask why, I'd say "Isn't this the outcome you were hoping for? It's not? Well then you can just take it as a big 'f*ck you'."

That's what I would do. I'm so tired of this utter nonsense, and they should get nothing and take a piece of rotting wood from the old pier and shove it up their ass.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2015, 4:34 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2ATX View Post
At this point, if I was the CEO of Howard Hughes, I would just abandon the entire project, stop work at the new shopping complex midway, and let Pier 17 and the historic structures decay until they fall into the East River. And when the NIMBYs ask why, I'd say "Isn't this the outcome you were hoping for? It's not? Well then you can just take it as a big 'f*ck you'."

That's what I would do. I'm so tired of this utter nonsense, and they should get nothing and take a piece of rotting wood from the old pier and shove it up their ass.
ShoP mentioned they have "Some 1400 footers" in the works for NY, I think one of them they could be referring to is 80SS. This building would be the least of the NIMBY's worries while a 1400' monster rose next door. That honestly would be the biggest f*ck you... Imagine the look on their faces.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2015, 4:48 AM
Homo sapiens sapiens

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
The issue of the design (which I think isn't bad) has nothing to do with the issue of whether or not a tower should or could be built there. Nobody's been talking about the design.
Once the tower is down to four or five stories, the design is what they will target next. They're leeching onto the "location" because they found a sucker that listens to them.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2015, 5:01 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypothalamus View Post
Once the tower is down to four or five stories, the design is what they will target next. They're leeching onto the "location" because they found a sucker that listens to them.
Why would the tower go down to four or five stories? No one's actually going to listen to these idiots. They don't have any actual power to my knowledge.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2015, 5:09 AM
Homo sapiens sapiens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Why would the tower go down to four or five stories? No one's actually going to listen to these idiots. They don't have any actual power to my knowledge.
I'm hypothetically speaking. I don't think the project is going to be 4 or 5 stories. They are very much complicating the development when it doesn't need to be.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2015, 5:18 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypothalamus View Post
I'm hypothetically speaking. I don't think the project is going to be 4 or 5 stories. They are very much complicating the development when it doesn't need to be.
Fair enough... I'm not sure they're complicating the process though, I actually think they are being ignored entirely, it's NY and there are dozens of buildings higher than this in the vicinity alone, hundreds in the whole city. Who wouldn't laugh at their idiotic complaints?

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 12:35 PM
New Yorker for life

http://nreionline.com/development/wh...street-seaport

What it Takes to Get Something Built in New York: Howard Hughes Corp. and the South Street Seaport

Elaine Misonzhnik
Mar 2, 2015

Quote:
Large-scale commercial development is rarely easy, but the Howard Hughes Corp. is finding out just how challenging bringing projects to fruition can be when it comes to New York City. Back in 2012, the New York Economic Development Corp. handed the company the contract to redevelop Pier 17, at the Historic South Street Seaport. The City’s Landmarks Preservation Committee approved the plan. The neighborhood’s Community Board 1 gave it the green light. By March 2013, it received anonymous approval from the New York City Council. Yet last week Crain’s New York Business reported that Manhattan Borough President Gale Brewer and City Councilwoman Margaret Chin were soliciting alterative bids from other developers for the $1.5 billion project.

At issue, it seems, is a 494-foot residential condo tower that Howard Hughes would like to include in the redevelopment, but some city politicians are not sold on.

Gale Brewer, the borough president, told Crain’s the building would be “out of context for a historic district.”

Some community residents have complained to The New York Times that: “The tower would obscure views of the Brooklyn Bridge and clash with the low-scaled, early-19th-century brick buildings that make up the 11-block seaport district, once the center of the city’s maritime industry.”

Initially, executives at Howard Hughes were hoping that support from powerful New York Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver would ensure a smooth development process, the Times reports. In a stroke of bad luck for the company, however, earlier this year Silver was arrested by the FBI and now faces corruption charges. According to The Times:

“Traditionally, the City Council, which must approve the project, follows the lead of the local council member, in this case Margaret Chin, who opposed the tower.”

At the same time as it must contend with New York’s notoriously vociferous community opposition, Howard Hughes Corp. is battling insurers over $8.6 million in damages caused to the Seaport by Superstorm Sandy in the fall of 2012, reports Law360. The company claims that Ace Insurance Cop. and Torus Specialty Insurance Co. have hiked up the deductible for the damages. According to the lawsuit:

“…prior to Superstorm Sandy, South Street Seaport was approximately 96 percent leased and generated substantial revenue, but after the storm caused massive damage to its infrastructure, many tenants canceled their leases. That damage was from when the storm caused the East River to flow over the seawall close to the property, not only causing property damage but health hazards as well, because the East River is ‘black’ water.”

So what is the outlook for the South Street Seaport redevelopment projects? At this point, it remains unclear, notes blog New Construction Manhattan:

“Where, then, does the fate of South Street Seaport lie? Essentially in the hands of Hughes and elected officials. Tensions remain high and neither side show signs of further compromise. Hughes recently paid $30.8 million for 333,329 square feet of air rights above the Seaport, while the Special Landmarks Committee is attempting to landmark the New Market Building by extending the historic district’s parameters, a loophole that would prohibit the tower from being built on the Seaport and render the controversy moot.”

I've been saying this...

http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/e...icle-1.2132273

South Street Seaport revival held up for ransom

Editorial
February 28, 2015

Quote:
Hidden in plain sight, a hostage crisis unfolds at City Hall — and only Mayor de Blasio can end it.

In jeopardy is the future of the faded South Street Seaport, a site owned by the city and bursting with untapped potential.

A plan for the revival of the lower Manhattan historic area, begun during the Bloomberg administration, needs the approval of the City Council — where it is being held for ransom.

The Council, let’s recall, counts 51 members. But a lone local representative can take a project captive.

Councilwoman Margaret Chin says she can’t abide the $305 million plan from the Howard Hughes Corp. to reboot the struggling Seaport, because the proposal would place a luxury residential high-rise at the edge of the historic district.

She’s backed by Manhattan Borough President Gale Brewer, who preposterously compared the project to “building a tower at Colonial Williamsburg,” never mind the forest of skyscrapers that surround the Seaport.

Because of Chin’s prerogative as the local representative, the project languishes without a vote even though the developer shrank the tower from 50 to 42 stories — not enough to mollify critics who want no stories at all.

It falls to de Blasio to push back against a reign of local sentiment gone amok, and make a forceful case to the Council — with arm-twisting if that’s what it takes — for a job-producing project of citywide consequence.

Funds generated by the Seaport project would build a public middle school for lower Manhattan, streamline and expand a public esplanade, generate affordable housing in half-unused historic buildings and salvage the listing South Street Seaport Museum.

Instead, the Landmarks Preservation Commission has stalled on review, ostensibly for want of details from the city-funded museum on its plans.

New York is one city, not 51. It cannot stop dead for elected obstructionists turning local agendas into everyone’s problem. De Blasio needs to show who’s boss.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 12:33 PM

Alternative Seaport Proposal Nixes Tower, Highlights History

Tuesday, March 10, 2015
Zoe Rosenberg

Quote:
Grassroots group Save Our Seaport has serious issues with Howard Hughes Corporation's plan for the redevelopment of the historic neighborhood, and has issued an alternative plan for proceeding with the redevelopment of the area. If Howard Hughes's plans would, in SOS's words, "result in the devastation of New York City's only lasting tribute to its seafaring heritage," the group's alternative vision aims to reclaim the redevelopment as a community-based process with a focus on the preservation of historic structures and sight lines (you can be certain that SOS's plan does not include that incredibly contentious SHoP-designed 42-story waterfront tower).

The proposal for the neighborhood presented by SOS focuses on the preservation of two structures, the New Market and Tin buildings, which Howard Hughes Corp. has proposed to raze and move. Under SOS's plan, both buildings would be repurposed; the New Market Building would become a center for maritime activity with community space, and the Tin Building's upper floors would give way to a middle school, community recreation center, or catering facility with lower floors occupied by a public market.

The group's plan also includes measures to "reinvigorate" the South Street Seaport Museum and create berthings for visiting historic ships. The proposal also includes a call for a moratorium on all Seaport Land Use Actions and a request for the mayor to put into place a "community-based master planning effort" for the neighborhood. Not least, SOS calls on the comptroller to annul Howard Hughes's 2011 Letter of Intent. In an attempt to remain civil, SOS says that Howard Hughes can and should remain a stakeholder (amongst the community) in the planning process moving forward. Whether Save Our Seaport's requests will hold water with the city has yet to be seen, but they'll certainly keep on trying.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development