HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

KAFD World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Riyadh Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Oct 21, 2010, 9:58 AM

RIYADH | KAFD World Trade Centre | 303m | 67fl | U/C

Riyadh / Kingdom of Saudi Arabia

KAFD
King Abdullah Financial District
World Trade Centre
http://www.wtc-saudi.com/

Follow the KAFD Thread in the Saudi Arabia SSC Forum:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=348428

Situated within the heart the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia’s new financial centre, the King Abdullah Financial District, Parcel 1.15 will be known as the KAFD World Trade Centre. Gensler were commissioned by the Riyadh Investment Company (owner) and Saudi Bin Laden Group (builder) after successfully winning an international design competition for the design of the tower.
The World Trade Centre is scheduled for completion in November 2012.

in Plot 1.15

^^ Bigger Image: http://kafdblog.files.wordpress.com/...elogistics.pdf

Gensler's designs for a new financial centre in Riyadh
Located in Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, Plot 1.15 will be the second tallest tower situated within the King Abdullah Financial District cluster. The master plan guidelines stipulated a ‘faceted’ architectural design, and clear regulations regarding the height (303m) and parcel footprint. However, the client brief was simple; to provide 1.5 million sq ft of office space. Through an ‘optioneering’ process Genlser were able to quickly define the client’s key business objectives, whilst allaying client concerns regarding the adjacent CMA Tower, which would be taller with larger centre core floor plates.
Envisioned by Gensler as an iconic architectural landmark and gateway for international trade, the super-tall tower is differentiated by its positioning to attract small to medium sized tenants requiring the prestige and facilities normally associated with global headquarters. In doing so Gensler created the ‘Vertical Wadi’; a formal and organisational spine that linked the tenants and created a living environment at the heart of the tower.
The floor-plate is effectively split by the Vertical Wadi. The default setting is 4 tenants per floor, each with their own front door into the atrium areas and no disorientating race-track landlord corridor, and access to views of the city.
The Vertical Wadi generates the formal and organisational structure to the tower, linking all internal functions and cleaving the building mass in two. It is broken down into office zones of 12 floors and then again into business communities of 3 levels creating a scalable working environment. To support the needs of the smaller tenants, the tower provides a high proportion of managed amenity space, ranging from a full conference auditorium to executive club areas and business lounges. The general public is also encouraged to experience the building with an observation deck at 300m.
The monolithic facade is derived from the early design concept driver of the building - a solid rock, cleft in two to create a Wadi. Whilst appearing to be random it is actually formed from a series of repeating modular GRP moulds. The Vertical Wadi dramatically meets the Financial Plaza, opening the building to the public realm. Pedestrians can move through the base of the tower, connecting the plaza to the main retail and cultural areas in the wider district. The interior volumes created are animated and interconnected, promoting meeting and exchange. The interior of the building is clad primarily in back-painted glass of varying tones and transparency, creating a smooth and gradually intensifying colour experience as it travels deeper into the building, much like a slice through a gorge

SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Middle East > Local Forums > Saudi Arabia > Projects
RIYADH l U/C l King Abdullah Financial District.
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=348428

SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments
RIYADH l King Abdullah Financial District | U/C
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1232321

SkyscraperPage Forum > Projects & Construction > General Development
RIYADH l King Abdullah Financial District (KAFD) Towers & Developments | U/C
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=185826

Old Posted Oct 21, 2010, 10:15 AM
Because I'm Clever!

I thought Riyadh had a 30 floor limit on buildings? (Hence the kingdom centers corkscrew top). Was this repealed or just not observed in this particular part of the city?

Old Posted Oct 21, 2010, 10:26 AM

^^ not anymore. limit was lifted many years ago many Supertalls/Highrises are being proposed and a few others are U/C this is just one of them

kingdom centre (completed 2002) has 99 floors by the way
Al Faisaliyah Center (completed 2000) has 44 floors

Old Posted Oct 21, 2010, 4:49 PM
Seek The Upward Horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GulfArabia View Post
Can't say I agree with that styled shell over the glass - very '60s cheesy.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2010, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GulfArabia View Post
^^ not anymore. limit was lifted many years ago many Supertalls/Highrises are being proposed and a few others are U/C this is just one of them

kingdom centre (completed 2002) has 99 floors by the way
Al Faisaliyah Center (completed 2000) has 44 floors
Kingdom Centre has only 41 floors. . . for the record. . .

. . .

Old Posted Oct 22, 2010, 12:19 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubadour View Post
Can't say I agree with that styled shell over the glass - very '60s cheesy.
really? i really like it. it's different and has good flow. stick in la defense or london and it'd look nice. good for riyadh! and gensler!

Old Posted Oct 22, 2010, 1:45 AM

i actually like it... original facade, decent design aesthetic... would work the best in la defense though.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2010, 1:31 AM

Old Posted Nov 16, 2010, 1:28 AM

Thanks again to Loony
Video Link

Old Posted Dec 5, 2010, 6:48 AM

South end of 1.15 raft

Looking down through 11 layes of 32mm bar in 1.15

Insisde the raft 1.15. Notice the carry bar is under the standee supports!

The other direction

SOURCE: http://www.kafdblog.com

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

New update by Loony: a world record

World Trade Center Raft Foundation Pour

By Loony, on December 3rd, 2010

After months of digging, chipping, waterproofing, casting of blinding slabs and walls and placing rebar, the big day was finally here. December 1st would be the day the big pour would go. The estimated volume was 16,000 meters. The largest continuous raft ever done was 16,000 cubic meters at the Landmark Hotel in Abu Dabi in 2009. We were hoping to surpass that number if even by 1 meter! In any event, it has been very exciting for me to have been involved in the process of executing this monster placement.

What we look for:
While on site, I focus my attention in several areas:

Watch for a continuous flow of concrete to each pump.
Make sure the concrete flows properly and does not segregate. Segregation occurs when the aggregate is separated from the paste of the mix.
Monitor consolidation by vibration to make sure the crews are paying attention to all areas equally and not over vibrating.
Watch the concrete in areas that are not close to the pump hose. Those areas can dry out and begin to set which is a cold joint, or bleed water may start coming to the top. The bleed water is ok in small amounts but when we get excessive amounts, we need to figure out why. We want the concrete to set just way it was delivered.
We are also interested in temperature monitoring. The contractor placed multiple probes in the raft to allow for periodic verification of the concrete temperature during placement and after. The concrete during curing should stay under 70c with upper tolerance of possibly 75c.
We are also interested in the testing and sampling stations. They must do the tests correctly and maintain proper records.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Pour:
The pour was scheduled to begin at 10 pm. A prepour meeting would be held at 8pm for final coordination. The players involved in the placement were as follows:

Dar Al Riyadh…………………………………………… Site Supervision Consultant
Saudi Binladin Group…………………………………. General Contractor
Saudi Readimix………………………………………… Concrete and pump supplier
Al Bustan………………………………………………… Concrete and pump supplier
Premco…………………………………………………… Concrete and pump supplier

There were 10 pumps setup and deployed on three sides of the project. Five pumps from Saudi Readimix on the East side, 3 from Al Bustan on the North side and 2 from Premco on the West side reaching in from the cut and cover tunnel that will loop the Financial District.

The goal was to supply about 80 cubic meters (about 102 cubic yards) per hour to each pump. Some pumps would allow for two trucks to back up and discharge side by side while others would only have room for one truck at a time. The concrete mix design is a flowable mix that is nearly self-consolidating but would require minimal consolidation by using vibrators. Holes were cut through the raft top layers of steel at 7 to 10 meter intervals to allow for the pump hoses to be lowered to near the top of the bottom layers of reinforcing. Rolls of plastic were placed on top of the raft to keep concrete from collecting and drying on top of the raft. All very good planning and preparation.

Testing of the concrete would be done at stations setup above the hole next to the entry ramp on the Northeast side and also on the West side. Trucks that were to be tested would be directed to stop at the testing station and samples would be taken to test slump spread and to cast sample cylinders before sending the truck to the site.

Placement began on schedule at 10:00 pm. Trucks began rolling down the ramp into the hole and were directed by a flagger toward their respective pumps. The trucks here are impressive. In the states, trucks are limited in size and weight by Department of Transportation (DOT) rules. Concrete trucks in the states have typically 10 or 11 cubic yard capacity (7.6 M3 or 8.4M3). The restrictions are due to the weight of the concrete and the number of tires the trucks have to put on the ground to spread out the load. Normal weight concrete weighs about 150 lbs/cuft on average which is approximately 4000 lbs. A cubic meter of normal weight concrete weighs in at about 5200 lbs (about 2400 kg). The trucks here have a capacity of either 10 or 12 cubic meters. That is about 13 cubic yards and about 15.6 cubic yards respectively. As you can see, the numbers add up pretty quickly. Trucks with loads of that size would find themselves over the limit and subject to fines in the states unless they had enough wheels on the ground and were long enough to spread the load.

For our purposes here, the larger capacity trucks are quite nice and greatly enhance the speed of delivery. Saudi Readimix and Al Bustan both have batch plants just across the street in the zone 6 area. Premco has a plant a bit down the road but the distance did not seem to hinder their ability to deliver.

I stayed on site all of the first night and watched the bottom of the raft being covered. The concrete looked good and the supply was never ending. Trucks were lined up all the way from the bottom of the Financial District hole to the top and at times, down the street. I would walk back to our office occasionally but the distance is about 1 km each way and the safety boots I wear on site are not exactly of the high mileage variety and they are quite heavy. I do this on a regular basis during the course of a normal day but it is very tiring and a little nerve racking when you have weave your way through a bunch of concrete trucks backing up or driving out. I usually made my way out the west side so I had to carefully walk past the truck and trailer dump trucks hauling loads of rock out of a nearby hole that is being chipped 24 hours a day. All this is not to mention the dust. I pretty much always wear a dust mask and did so when walking to and from the office.

At midnight dinner was served in the SBG site office complex. I had been walking the site with Joe, the project manager for DAR, so we both walked up to get some food. We were quite surprised to find a rather formal affair with servers and a large platter of food in the middle of both tables. Attending the dinner were VIP’s from SBG. I knew one of the gentlemen at the table but not the others. I was asked to join at the table with the VIP’s and was introduced to the Saudi gentlemen there. One of them is a member of the Binladin family, a sheik in fact. I was quite impressed. After the meal, the group and I went to the site to show the VIP’s’ the raft and observe the pour. We took pictures on the raft and they all headed out. All in all a very interesting evening I thought.

I stayed on site until about 5 am before heading back to our office to rest a bit. I had to figure out how to turn the AC units into heaters as I was getting cold. The temperature had dipped down into the low 50’s at this point. I took about a 1 hour nap on the couch then got up and waited for Mohammed to deliver Mark to the site so I could get a ride back home.

I took a nap for a few hours at home then had Mohammed take me back to the site when he brought the Meinhardt folks home from work. I joined Joe again and we walked the site then went back to the office and waited for lunch to be brought in. Lunch was served in the conference room and consisted of shawarma sandwiches. Very good. I stayed a while before calling it a day and had Mohammed drive me home. Things were looking pretty good at this point and the concrete supply was continuing nonstop.

In the end, a total of 16,200 cubic meters ( 21,188 cubic yards) of concrete was placed. This surpasses the Abu Dabi Landmark hotel for the world’s record. Now is our time to enjoy bragging rights and all the fame and fortune that goes with it (Not!) For me, sleep and a day off would be fine.

What was in it for me? I felt a lot of energy surge inside me when my research showed that this would at least match the biggest ever done. I don’t know if this is something that I would say was on my bucket list but it is now and it has been checked off. If you participate in this line or work, monitoring large scale construction, you have to have a passion for it. You have to find things like concrete and steel entertaining and even awe inspiring. You measure yourself against the project and see just how far into the thing you can go. I feel like I went pretty far this time. I could leave Saudi now satisfied that I did something worthwhile after all the sweat and all the miles of walking and climbing up and down in the dust and heat.

The future here for me is, at least for now, short term. I leave Saudi on the 15th to go home in time to meet my new baby girl early next month. I will keep blogging until then but after that, well If I return in a couple months I will take it up again.

All set

Getting Closer

Plastic being laid down on the top of the raft to protect it from concrete spills

All ready on the western front

Here we go!

Testing to do too!

Close to midnight and going strong.

The next day and still going strong

Almost to the top

Temperature probes

Shift change

Looking Northwest at sundown

Trucks and pumps still going

The Saudi Readimix side

Blogger Mo proves that he was there (Loony)

Source: www.kafdblog.com

Old Posted Dec 5, 2010, 8:02 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

Now that's what I call a very busy construction site.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2010, 2:26 AM

CITYSCAPE RIYADH
12-14 December 2010

For the rest of the displayed projects open links:
SkyscraperCity Thread link: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1275129
SkyscraperPage Thread Link: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=187251
Photos shot by user: On_My_Own in SSC

Old Posted Jul 10, 2011, 7:24 PM

A special thanks to Gulfarabia & "Loony" for the special tour of foundation pour. It's a privilege to see the details almost first-hand. I find the design of the building to be distinctive and exciting. Especially the vertical "Wadi" running between the towers. I have however an issue with the name of the project. Could anything be more insensative? What was somebody thinking?
Trout7000 is principal of a firm of architects in Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA. For more than twenty years, these creative New Mexico architects have specialized in both residential and commercial designs and have enjoyed incorporating appropriate green sustainable technologies.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2011, 6:57 PM
Chairman

That has to be one of the largest floating foundations I have seen.

-sb

Old Posted Jul 23, 2011, 1:34 PM
The World Is Welcome Here

Hmmm... Not especially impressed with the renders on this one. I'll reserve judgement for the finished product.

Plyg, Metrosexual, & AVENian

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 4:44 PM
Find yourself and be that

Last edited by P2000; Sep 10, 2014 at 9:13 AM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction