HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Today, 12:01 AM
high-floor train enjoyer

My comment on "real city" was more referring to the fact that SLC looks like a

bigger city every time I look at the skyline. Personally, I think SLC's skyline is

really good for a city of our size, the Astra may not stand out as much as many

hoped, but I still think it provides a good centerpiece to SLC, at least until a

taller building comes in (Regent Street?). A comparison I like to make is between

SLC and San Jose:

For a city of over a million, SJ has a quite unimpressive skyline, which SLC beats

out in my opinion.

Old Posted Today, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebula3lem123 View Post
My comment on "real city" was more referring to the fact that SLC looks like a

bigger city every time I look at the skyline. Personally, I think SLC's skyline is

really good for a city of our size, the Astra may not stand out as much as many

hoped, but I still think it provides a good centerpiece to SLC, at least until a

taller building comes in (Regent Street?). A comparison I like to make is between

SLC and San Jose:

For a city of over a million, SJ has a quite unimpressive skyline, which SLC beats

out in my opinion.
The better comparisons should be places like Sacramento, San Antonio, Austin Kansas City, St Louis, Columbus, Indy, Pittsburgh and Nashville. Those cities are a more comparable CSA population. SLC is behind most of those. It's maybe better than Sacramento right now?

Old Posted Today, 12:15 AM
high-floor train enjoyer

Here's Sacramento:

IMO they beat us in terms of architecture, but SLC succeeds in filling in the

space between buildings. SLC also has a better gradient from "skyscrapers" (I

know SLC technically doesn't have any) to surrounding neighborhoods. I'm

obviously biased, but I give SLC the win here.

Old Posted Today, 2:50 AM

So, it sounds like the plan is for both the Jazz and NHL to play in the DC and they will take 2 summers (3 including this summer, I guess) to complete the full renovation so we will have 17k hockey seats and 19k seats for hoops. Still not sure how this will be possible over 3 summers with both teams playing full seasons during renovation.

I really hope we get to see the plans soon. Such a quick refurbishment doesn't seem like it will be a super impressive renovation, but it's supposed to cost upwards of 1 billion, so we will see!

https://twitter.com/BensHoops/status...Fid%3D32926749

Old Posted Today, 5:05 PM

So I have some info to share on the renovation/rebuild of the Delta Center. As of now the goal is a complete renovation, think Key Arena/Climate Pledge Arena in Seattle. Same general footprint and location but essentially a new arena. The new entertainment district will be the blocks where the west end of the convention center is now, and the rendering you all saw in February is actually their vision for the renovated Delta Center. The plan while ambitious, is to reconstruct the convention center and reconnect 100s all the way from City Creek down. How that will be done still remains to be seen but expect a major reconstruction of this area and both the convention center and the Delta Center. Also expect Japantown to have a seat at the table during these discussions and to be revitalized a bit. I do think this project could also blend well with the new West Quarter Phase 2. We may soon get a completely connected downtown all the way to 300w. The time frame for the arena renovation is 3 years so expect this to start in some form relatively soon.

Old Posted Today, 5:13 PM

I still don't know how they can complete a full blown renovation in 3 offseasons and still have both teams play there. Will be interesting to find out

Old Posted Today, 5:22 PM

Additional tidbit I forgot to mention. Expect a second floor of the convention center with a sky bridge connecting the two sections over 100s. Expect demolition of the current West side of the building. Not sure of the current plans for the Raddison hotel. Schmoe I know you had connections with the Ritchie Group. I wonder if they have been contacted about coordinating this with their Phase 2 plans?

Old Posted Today, 6:25 PM
Lahaina Strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by taboubak View Post
Additional tidbit I forgot to mention. Expect a second floor of the convention center with a sky bridge connecting the two sections over 100s. Expect demolition of the current West side of the building. Not sure of the current plans for the Raddison hotel. Schmoe I know you had connections with the Ritchie Group. I wonder if they have been contacted about coordinating this with their Phase 2 plans?
Last I heard the Raddison will be a casualty of this plan.

Old Posted Today, 7:48 PM
NIMBY Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paniolo Man View Post
Last I heard the Raddison will be a casualty of this plan.
Buying the Radisson will be an expensive part of this project if the plan is to demolish it for the land.

I don't have a Ritchie update other than knowing they are close to all of this, so certainly will be involved in some way.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West