HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Apr 29, 2008, 12:45 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Flar,

I want you to make it to Southwest Detroit and Downriver. You've be able to capture this monster heavy industrial area perfectly.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2008, 4:32 AM

Fantastic thread!

As a westerner you'll have to excuse me for not knowing this, but I was not aware that the Toronto skyline was THAT visible from Hamilton (as shown in the second last picture). I would love to see more shots of T.O. from The Hammer!

Old Posted Apr 29, 2008, 4:39 AM
Hammer'd

Incredible thread, flar. This is definitely the spirit of Hamilton. The Steel City.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Apr 29, 2008, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bratina View Post
These are wonderful photos. Some of my happiest days were working at Dofasco. Although I worked in the comfort of the Tin Mill Lab, I would often walk through the Hot Mill on Ottawa Street ( now gone) or other parts of the plant just to soak in the atmosphere. My days in the yard gang also took me around to different areas, and I'm pretty sure if I had been assigned to the Blast Furnace or the trains....transportation....I'd have retired out of there. Our identity is based in part on the magnificence and toughness captured in these photos. I remember ex football player Eddie Remigis, who's son is a Hamilton police officer, working in the hot mill amid the smoke, steam, sparks, fire and roar with bare arms flexing out of his ripped down T-shirt and safety glasses, oblivious to the commotion, fixed on the job of making steel coils, with blazing ingots moving over head to the accompaniment of warning sirens and factory din. It was awesome!!
Bob Bratina.
Now that would be a great photo! Actually any pictures from inside the mills would be just incredible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
Flar,

I want you to make it to Southwest Detroit and Downriver. You've be able to capture this monster heavy industrial area perfectly.
I would like to someday, actually I'd like to do many parts of Detroit. Industrial areas are difficult to photograph, these pictures were taken on several outings over the last year and a half. You have to drive around and half the time you see something you want to photograph but there's nowhere to stop or park. A lot of areas are inaccessible too. Definitely more difficult than regular neighbourhood tours.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2008, 1:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
Flar,

He'll do it better than I can. But I'm going to have a go at it sometime.

jodelli

Old Posted Apr 29, 2008, 3:17 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country View Post
Fantastic thread!

As a westerner you'll have to excuse me for not knowing this, but I was not aware that the Toronto skyline was THAT visible from Hamilton (as shown in the second last picture). I would love to see more shots of T.O. from The Hammer!
It's not, that was photo trickery. With the naked eye you can just vaguely make out the tallest buildings in the TO skyline on a clear day when you're standing on the mountain in Hamilton.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2008, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
It's not, that was photo trickery. With the naked eye you can just vaguely make out the tallest buildings in the TO skyline on a clear day when you're standing on the mountain in Hamilton.
I've never seen TO from Hamilton, although I know it's possible from the right place to be able to do that. But I have seen it from the QEW just west of St Cats, and that's clear across the lake. It was at night, and it was unmistakable.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2008, 4:32 PM

I used a 200mm telephoto lens, so there is some compression. But on a clear day you can see Toronto pretty easily from anywhere along the south shore of Lake Ontario, you can even see it from New York. Toronto looks pretty cool from the Garden City Skyway in St. Catharines.

edit: xzmattzx has some TO skyline shots from NY with a normal focal length, but I don't remember where he posted them.

Last edited by flar; Apr 29, 2008 at 4:43 PM.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 3:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
I used a 200mm telephoto lens, so there is some compression. But on a clear day you can see Toronto pretty easily from anywhere along the south shore of Lake Ontario, you can even see it from New York. Toronto looks pretty cool from the Garden City Skyway in St. Catharines.

edit: xzmattzx has some TO skyline shots from NY with a normal focal length, but I don't remember where he posted them.
Flar is right, you can see Toronto from the other side of Lake Ontario pretty easily, as long as the air is clear (meaning no cloudy day, no humidity, etc), and your view is unobstructed.

I took this picture from Pekin, New York (a little west of Lockport) a couple weeks ago on a Sunday morning. I used a regular old point-and-click camera. It is zoomed as far as my camera can go, which is 7.7x.

Zoomed out just a little bit, to about 4.0x.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
Flar is right, you can see Toronto from the other side of Lake Ontario pretty easily, as long as the air is clear (meaning no cloudy day, no humidity, etc), and your view is unobstructed.

I took this picture from Pekin, New York (a little west of Lockport) a couple weeks ago on a Sunday morning. I used a regular old point-and-click camera. It is zoomed as far as my camera can go, which is 7.7x.
Interesting photo.

I wondered why I couldn't see the CN Tower at first. Using an LCD monitor my nose was only inches from the screen before being able to pick out the lower pod to the left of the CBD.
Looked a little like a UFO because the rest of the tower was nearly invisible.

Thanks.

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 3:27 AM

Somebody's got talent.

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 6:26 AM
Go Rebels!

Being from the South, the only thing I have seen that is even close to that industrial is Sulfur, LA. Great shots!

Old Posted May 3, 2008, 2:45 AM

^^Birmingham?

Thanks everyone

Old Posted Nov 8, 2008, 5:30 PM

This thread totally rules. Let's all have another look.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2008, 7:26 PM

DAYUM... that is awesome!!! I loooove Hamilton, such a great "Americana" town. Three cheers for the inddustrial towns that BUILT the US and Canada!!

For politics, check out my blog Texas Leftist

Old Posted Nov 8, 2008, 9:06 PM
Senior Bezerkeleyite

Fantastic! Amazing! Great Job! I love the one with Toronto in the distance and the one of the steam/smoke billowing up into the sky from the two stacks, fing amazing!

Old Posted Nov 8, 2008, 9:20 PM
Closed account

Interesting photos ,but it seems like a former heavy industry!

Old Posted Nov 9, 2008, 9:38 PM

Thanks guys...this is one of my all time favourites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ady26 View Post
Interesting photos ,but it seems like a former heavy industry!
Most of those places are still operating...for the time being.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2008, 11:08 AM
manmadelake.typepad.com

Really beautiful photos.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2008, 2:14 PM
Corporate logo

I LOVE industrial crap like this. Very well done.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos