HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Mar 11, 2020, 6:57 PM

Portland Passenger Ferry | Status Uncertain

Quote:
Portland passenger ferry leader says idea is ‘getting closer to a reality,’ eyes 2023 launch

By Andrew Theen | The Oregonian/OregonLive

The organizers, financial supporters and volunteers hoping to bring passenger ferries to the Portland area said Tuesday they are making progress and still hope to launch the commuter transit service in spring 2023.

Susan Bladholm, founder of the nonprofit Friends of Frog Ferry group, said she also believes there’s still time to include public dollars for the ferry proposal in the Metro regional government’s $7 billion transportation package expected to appear on the ballot in November.

Continue reading...

Old Posted Jun 9, 2021, 9:28 PM

Portland’s Frog Ferry could be reality in 2022

Ferry-Rendering by Ryan Miller, on Flickr

PORTLAND
by: KOIN 6 News Staff
Posted: Jun 8, 2021 / 02:02 PM PDT / Updated: Jun 8, 2021 / 02:02 PM PDT

Quote:
The ferry plan was launched by Susan Bladholm in late 2018 and builds on earlier proposals to convert the Willamette River into a transit corridor. On Tuesday, they announced they have enough funding to launch a 24-month pilot program in summer 2022.

The Frog Ferry has the capacity for 70 passengers and will take commuters from Cathedral Park to RiverPlace in downtown Portland. The trip is about 25 minutes. They hope to add stops along the way and on weekends.
continues: https://www.koin.com/news/portland/p...ality-in-2022/

Old Posted Jun 10, 2021, 5:52 AM
A before E

Stuff like this make me want to see Sam Adams as mayor again or at least enjoying him working for the mayor again cause this is such a great idea that I am happy to see being able to pencil out better this time around. It would be amazing to see this work and extend up and down the river.

I live down near downtown Milwaukie and it would be fun to hop on the ferry and take it over to the waterfront in Lake O or head down the river to downtown Portland for an afternoon or take a real boat ride all the way to the Vancouver Waterfront and back.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2021, 7:30 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
Stuff like this make me want to see Sam Adams as mayor again or at least enjoying him working for the mayor again cause this is such a great idea that I am happy to see being able to pencil out better this time around. It would be amazing to see this work and extend up and down the river.

I live down near downtown Milwaukie and it would be fun to hop on the ferry and take it over to the waterfront in Lake O or head down the river to downtown Portland for an afternoon or take a real boat ride all the way to the Vancouver Waterfront and back.
Yea I totally agree. This is great for tourists too. Cheap and efficient. A boat ride sounds much more appealing and relaxing way to get a sight of the city for them. But for local residents it should serve its purpose well. For a River front city this should have had happened years ago

Old Posted Jun 10, 2021, 1:54 PM

Here are the reasons I think this is ridiculous:

* The dock at Cathedral Park is basically the middle of nowhere. There's nothing there except the park and some residential. The center of St Johns, which also happens to have the nearest transit stop, is a 10-minute walk. So instead of 25 minutes, we're up to 35, and that's if we ignore time waiting for the ferry. If you missed the ferry, you've got another 10 minute walk back to a bus stop or you can wait for the next one. That 10-minute walk is half a mile (all per Google), and even TriMet doesn't expect anyone to walk more than 1/4 mile to their transit stops. Yes, roll your eyes -- I too regularly walk more than 10 minutes to the grocery store. But most people don't walk that much, and if we're talking commuting, we're asking people to make that walk every day in often shitty weather. Not happening, not when a large number of people living in central St Johns can walk out the front door of their house and be at a bus stop much more quickly than they could get to this dock.
* We have existing transit that covers this route and also stops at other places along the way. What is the use case for the ferry? It won't be faster, it won't be more convenient, and, correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't boat motors more polluting than buses?
* RiverPlace is I guess a reasonable landing spot (where else in DT?), but let's say your destination is Pioneer Square - that's 0.8 miles, or 15 minutes on foot. Now we're up to 50 minutes.
* Compare that with driving and transit: driving is 16 minutes and existing transit is 44 minutes.
* Portland unfortunately is a city with an underutilized waterfront (how many waterfront restaurants can you name?). Yes, people walk and bike along the waterfront but if you're commuting that's not where you're headed. If it were already activated this might work, but, seriously, an occasional ferry isn't going to do that, and until it IS activated, the ferry will underperform.
* Ferries in Seattle make sense because of their geography - the alternatives are untenable.

I know, I know, I sound like an old man who hates new ideas. But transit that goes from where people are to where they want to go works well. In some crazy world where we built a canal directly to central St Johns and launched the ferry from there this could make some sense, but that's an unredeemably silly idea. Buses work. MAX/Streetcar works. I'd rather see the money spent on those transit modes.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2021, 7:46 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvpcvm View Post
Here are the reasons I think this is ridiculous:

* The dock at Cathedral Park is basically the middle of nowhere. There's nothing there except the park and some residential. The center of St Johns, which also happens to have the nearest transit stop, is a 10-minute walk. So instead of 25 minutes, we're up to 35, and that's if we ignore time waiting for the ferry. If you missed the ferry, you've got another 10 minute walk back to a bus stop or you can wait for the next one. That 10-minute walk is half a mile (all per Google), and even TriMet doesn't expect anyone to walk more than 1/4 mile to their transit stops. Yes, roll your eyes -- I too regularly walk more than 10 minutes to the grocery store. But most people don't walk that much, and if we're talking commuting, we're asking people to make that walk every day in often shitty weather. Not happening, not when a large number of people living in central St Johns can walk out the front door of their house and be at a bus stop much more quickly than they could get to this dock.
* We have existing transit that covers this route and also stops at other places along the way. What is the use case for the ferry? It won't be faster, it won't be more convenient, and, correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't boat motors more polluting than buses?
* RiverPlace is I guess a reasonable landing spot (where else in DT?), but let's say your destination is Pioneer Square - that's 0.8 miles, or 15 minutes on foot. Now we're up to 50 minutes.
* Compare that with driving and transit: driving is 16 minutes and existing transit is 44 minutes.
* Portland unfortunately is a city with an underutilized waterfront (how many waterfront restaurants can you name?). Yes, people walk and bike along the waterfront but if you're commuting that's not where you're headed. If it were already activated this might work, but, seriously, an occasional ferry isn't going to do that, and until it IS activated, the ferry will underperform.
* Ferries in Seattle make sense because of their geography - the alternatives are untenable.

I know, I know, I sound like an old man who hates new ideas. But transit that goes from where people are to where they want to go works well. In some crazy world where we built a canal directly to central St Johns and launched the ferry from there this could make some sense, but that's an unredeemably silly idea. Buses work. MAX/Streetcar works. I'd rather see the money spent on those transit modes.
A few issues I have with this, a 10 minute walk is not a big deal, it takes me about that much time at least if the lights are in my favor to walk to the light rail stop near me. Plus how many people walk to Cathedral Park in St Johns? I can't imagine people in that neighborhood not going there because a short walk is too far.

Another issue I have is with the timing. Anyone who takes transit of any kind pays attention to the schedules and timing. If someone is just walking down to the ferry to ride it downtown and isn't paying attention to the timing, then they probably aren't worried about how long it will take them because the idea of commuting on the river over taking a bus through the city sounds more enjoyable. I remember my commutes from Jersey to Manhattan, when taking the ferry was the option, we always took it because it was more enjoyable than taking the PATH, even though the PATH was faster.

As for there being other similar routes, none of these routes run along the river with less stops. Plus, by bus it would take about an hour to get from St Johns to Riverplace, so a 35 minute ferry ride sounds like an obvious choice. If your destination is near Pioneer Courthouse Square and you are wanting to get their faster without having to walk from Riverplace, then the bus is the obvious choice, if the few extra minutes isn't an issue, then maybe the ferry is the better option. With those that say they can drive that in 15 minutes, that is why traffic exists and those people are going to choose sitting in traffic over taking any form of transit any day of the week.

Adding in ferry services would make these river stops more enticing to redevelop for more riverfront focused developments. Though other stops along the river does have closer river access if this pilot program got expanded. Vancouver Waterfront, Rose Quarter, Downtown Portland, OMSI, Downtown Milwaukie, Lake Oswego, Downtown Oregon City. If a MLB stadium is actually built along the river, that would be another riverfront stop. There is a lot of potential to this to simply write it off.

Plus the biggest factor is taking a ride down the river, that isn't something your average person can just do in Portland without having to either own a boat, know someone who owns a boat, do a boat event, or buy a kayak. Paying a few bucks to hop on a ferry to get downtown is going to be enticing to some people that prefer that over taking the bus or driving.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 12:06 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
* We have existing transit that covers this route and also stops at other places along the way.
CLEARLY, you don't use it.

The only way to get from downtown Portland to St. John's that I can think of is to use bus transfers for a route almost a frigging hour long, or choose a "direct" route that's up to 80 minutes long. I've done it and it's annoying.

An 8 mile trip takes up to 80 minutes or multiple busses. Brutal.

I'm not saying I expect this ferry to pencil out, but I'd be glad if it does. It's surprisingly hard to get from downtown Portland to St. John's by mass transit.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 12:27 AM

Line 16 goes St Johns > Downtown and takes about 30 minutes. It's not a very frequent line (once an hour), but then neither is the proposed Frog Ferry.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 6:26 PM

Keep in mind, this announcement is for a pilot program which will tell them if its going to pencil out and be feasible for expanded service. The original proposal included multiple stops and extended as far as the Vancouver Waterfront. I think this is a great alternative for not just expanding mass transit (ferry's are used worldwide successfully in many cities), but it will also be a tourist draw, offering accessibility to views of the city that wouldn't normally be so readily accessible.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

The only way to get from downtown Portland to St. John's that I can think of is to use bus transfers for a route almost a frigging hour long, or choose a "direct" route that's up to 80 minutes long. I've done it and it's annoying.

I'm not saying I expect this ferry to pencil out, but I'd be glad if it does. It's surprisingly hard to get from downtown Portland to St. John's by mass transit.
The #16 bus in 30 minutes from N Lombard and Burlington to SW 1st and Oak: https://trimet.org/schedules/w/t1016_1.htm

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncommon.name View Post
Keep in mind, this announcement is for a pilot program which will tell them if its going to pencil out and be feasible for expanded service. The original proposal included multiple stops and extended as far as the Vancouver Waterfront. I think this is a great alternative for not just expanding mass transit (ferry's are used worldwide successfully in many cities), but it will also be a tourist draw, offering accessibility to views of the city that wouldn't normally be so readily accessible.
Yeah, I just think a ferry along the Willamette, while perhaps nice, isn't a very effective mode of transport. Especially if it's extended to Vancouver, which requires going all the way around Rivergate. Existing roads and transit are overloaded, but much more direct (to Vancouver - there's nothing direct about going to STJ!). Ferries work well in Seattle because there's no bridge alternative. In NYC (I suppose, I don't know NYC very well), I believe there are ferries from built-up, activated waterfronts to other built-up, activated waterfronts. Same with the Star Ferry in HKG, although I'll say I only took the ferry there because it was a sort of classic touristy thing to do - most of the time, when I was more concerned about just getting somewhere, I took the MTR. Anyway, if this is private money, then, whatevs, if it's public money, errrrr.....less thrilled about that.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2021, 7:29 AM
A before E

Quote:
Yeah, I just think a ferry along the Willamette, while perhaps nice, isn't a very effective mode of transport. Especially if it's extended to Vancouver, which requires going all the way around Rivergate. Existing roads and transit are overloaded, but much more direct (to Vancouver - there's nothing direct about going to STJ!). Ferries work well in Seattle because there's no bridge alternative. In NYC (I suppose, I don't know NYC very well), I believe there are ferries from built-up, activated waterfronts to other built-up, activated waterfronts. Same with the Star Ferry in HKG, although I'll say I only took the ferry there because it was a sort of classic touristy thing to do - most of the time, when I was more concerned about just getting somewhere, I took the MTR. Anyway, if this is private money, then, whatevs, if it's public money, errrrr.....less thrilled about that.
In NYC, the ferries aren't exactly the faster option, but they are many times the nicer option that lets you take in the views of the city rather than commuting underground. The ferries do connect to places that are a bit isolated from the subway stops which makes them more convenient to those areas.

Ferries are a great draw for tourism and people who would like to commute without sitting in traffic or having to make a lot of stops. I could see it also getting a lot of weekend use by local tourists.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2021, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

You are so correct on the transit times. St John's to downtown is brutal. I used to take the 40 line via downtown to Central Catholic HS (SE PDX) in the 90's. I had to be at the bus stop before 6AM to get to school before 8AM. It absolutely sucked. There needs to be a more direct route.

On a seperate note: This ferry will be nothing more than a tourist trap until it makes it to Vancouver. I think a non-stop ferry from the new Vancouver waterfront to downtown PDX would be a game changer.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 7:02 PM

Scenes from a Frog Ferry ride along the Willamette (Photos)
Quote:
The Frog Ferry, which would provide service along the Willamette between Cathedral Park and RiverPlace, offered up a test run recently that displayed several possible benefits to the option.

Among them: great Portland scenery and a way to navigate around the city's traffic.

Backers are looking to test a pilot project featuring one 70-passenger vessel operating 14 hours each weekday. They're also looking at other landing spots, including Vancouver and the Duckworth Dock, near the Burnside Bridge.

The 24-month pilot project is set to launch by next fall and last about two years...
View photos and read more at PBJ...

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 6:08 AM
A before E

Quote:
Scenes from a Frog Ferry ride along the Willamette (Photos)

View photos and read more at PBJ...
I can't wait to have this running up and down the Willamette.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
I can't wait to have this running up and down the Willamette.
Agreed. I feel getting it all the way to Vancouver is vital to it's success though. Hopefully they can make it happen.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Financial dispute between TriMet, Frog Ferry goes public as ferry project runs out of money

Simmering tensions between TriMet and a nonprofit trying to launch passenger ferry service in Portland became public Wednesday as the Portland City Council rejected a last-ditch bid to keep the project going.

Portland commissioners voted not to allocate nearly a quarter of a million dollars to Friends of Frog Ferry, effectively ending the commuter ferry push.
Continue reading here (warning: paywall)

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 6:30 PM
BANNED

Wow this city really gets in its own way. This was a great idea even if it’s used just for tourists. What a small minded thinking city

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbinWarrick View Post
Wow this city really gets in its own way. This was a great idea even if it’s used just for tourists. What a small minded thinking city
Trimet holds a monopoly on Portland's transit and obviously saw Frog Ferry as a competitor. It was an uphill battle from the beginning and I agree, it could have been something iconic for our city.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 7:41 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Trimet holds a monopoly on Portland's transit and obviously saw Frog Ferry as a competitor. It was an uphill battle from the beginning and I agree, it could have been something iconic for our city.
Yea it was the city council tho particularly Joann hardesty who voted to agree with tri met. She didn’t have to do that. Mapps credit to him voted to continue to fund them.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure