HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jul 30, 2015, 5:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cailes View Post
The last time I checked, Mississippi, N Williams, NE Alberta, SE Division, SE Belmont, et all are developing just fine on their own without a streetcar so there is no "chose this neighborhood over another" methodology going on.

Its EXPENSIVE to expand and operate rail service. Pick any neighborhood not served and tell me why it would be better with the streetcar?
Dont let common sense get in the way of statistics --thats not good for Portland

Old Posted Jul 31, 2015, 7:13 AM

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 12:12 AM

From the Streetcar website:

Quote:
Portland Streetcar Loop Service

With the opening of Tilikum Crossing: Bridge of the People on September 12, 2015, Portland Streetcar riders will see a change in service on both sides of the river.

Instead of the old Central Loop (CL) from SW Clay to OMSI, riders will board the A Loop, which will operate clockwise around the Central City connecting the Pearl District, Lloyd District, OMSI and PSU, or the B Loop, which will operate in the opposite direction, or counter-clockwise.

The new A & B Loops will double up service with the North/South (NS) Line from NW Johnson south to SW Moody & Meade, providing 7.5 minute frequency Monday through Saturday, 10:00am to 7:00pm, and 10 minute frequency all day Sunday.

Pre-Revenue Service

Beginning August 30, 2015, Portland Streetcar enters a period called "Pre-Revenue Service" for the two weeks prior to the opening of the Tilikum Crossing. During this period the portion of the A & B Loops on the Tilikum Crossing will be closed to passengers. Riders will be able to board the A Loop at SW Moody & Meade and ride all the way to OMSI or board the B Loop at OMSI and ride all the way to SW Moody & Meade. The Tilikum Crossing will remain closed to passengers until the Grand Opening on September 12, 2015.

The North/South (NS) Line, which operates from NW 23rd to SW Lowell & Bond, will continue to operate as it has from the beginning.

New Plan for Blocked Service

Beginning September 12, 2015, in the event the streetcar tracks are blocked due to accident or emergency on either the A or B Loop, riders will be directed to board the other Loop to arrive at their destination. This is a more time efficient solution than the old system of ordering a replacement bus service which can take as much as one hour to put in place.

Example: If an accident occurs on NE Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd blocking the tracks on the A Loop, riders would be directed to the corresponding stops on NE Grand to board the B Loop. Even if a rider had to travel almost the full way around the Loop, they would arrive at their destination faster than waiting for the bus. Also, riders would be able to track arrivals on the NextBus signs at the stations, by calling 503-238-RIDE, and via third party apps.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2015, 2:51 AM
A before E

I can't wait till Portland starts running new streetcar lines off of this loop.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2015, 5:34 PM

My fantasy is a Sandy Blvd/Broadway loop to Hollywood. That would be so awesome.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2015, 10:16 PM

And I'd really like them to consider going down Hawthorne instead of Belmont. It's more active and the streetscape seems much more capable of handling it.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2015, 2:46 AM
Greetings from New Jersey

Why is there no divider between the Northbound Streetcar tracks and the southbound Route 99 lanes on that small portion.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2015, 4:44 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Why is there no divider between the Northbound Streetcar tracks and the southbound Route 99 lanes on that small portion.
No divider? Are you referring to where it comes off of the Tillicum Bridge and connects to 99E by SE Stevens? The reason why there is no divider there is because one isn't needed. When a Northbound Streetcar gets to that junction, a red light holds the traffic until the train is clear. Once the train is passed, cars can safely drive over the tracks seeing that it partially cuts into the left lane.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2015, 7:21 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

I second the need for Hawthorne streetcar. Hawthorne is one screwed up street, IMO.

I avoid it like the plague - just like I avoid NW Portland. The only reason I ever go there is because I can take 39th to the Fred Meyer, and I can actually bike up to Hawthorne.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2015, 8:40 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilfondel View Post
I second the need for Hawthorne streetcar. Hawthorne is one screwed up street, IMO.

I avoid it like the plague - just like I avoid NW Portland. The only reason I ever go there is because I can take 39th to the Fred Meyer, and I can actually bike up to Hawthorne.
That would be a great line, I really wish they would have designed the streetcar to run as two cars rather than one, then I think it would have been easier to justify putting in streetcar lines along major transit routes in the city.

But I definitely know what you mean, parking around Hawthorne has gotten so much more difficult, much easier to just take transit or bike to that area.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2015, 12:39 AM

Streetcar tracks along 10th / 11th in Downtown are now streetcar / right turn only. Tough to tell with Saturday afternoon traffic, but it did seem to be making a difference.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2015, 8:30 AM
A before E

That makes sense.....also makes sense why the streetcar I was on this evening was blowing its horn at a car driving in its lane. Now if only they would make the streetcar lines on the eastside right turn only.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2015, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilfondel View Post

This hypothetical line could continue out to 50th before heading south to Foster; from there it could go all the way out to Lents. That would be interesting when you consider the upcoming road diet for Foster. There's a number of sites along the corridor that could be redeveloped. It would be a tough political sell, especially with a proposed BRT heading out along Powell/Division.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 3:35 AM

The new right turn only lanes seem to be making a difference in travel time in downtown.

The next real hurdle will become B loop trains at rush hour. They get backed up behind the 84 on ramp something FIERCE!

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 5:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cailes View Post
The new right turn only lanes seem to be making a difference in travel time in downtown.

The next real hurdle will become B loop trains at rush hour. They get backed up behind the 84 on ramp something FIERCE!
Before it started construction I remember that being a concern. I remember there was talk of a new 7th/8th ave bridge for streetcars and pedestrians, but I think it was just too expensive to justify.

I'm not sure what can be done to fix it now though.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 9:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehogan View Post
Before it started construction I remember that being a concern. I remember there was talk of a new 7th/8th ave bridge for streetcars and pedestrians, but I think it was just too expensive to justify.

I'm not sure what can be done to fix it now though.
Eliminating that ramp altogether would solve a couple problems. It would eliminate backups on grand and if coupled with a restriping of I84 to prohibit lane changes until at least 12th, eastbound traffic flow certainly wouldnt be hurt.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2015, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Portland wants to buy 3 used streetcars from Seattle

Seattle is planning to sell three of its streetcars, and Portland wants to be first in line.

The Portland City Council agreed Thursday to ask ODOT for a $3.5 million grant to buy the streetcars. With a $1.5 million match from the city transportation bureau, Portland could offer up to $5 million for the three vehicles.

Seattle bought the streetcars in 2007, and they're identical to the Inekon 12-Trio model in use in Portland. In fact, they were part of the same order; Seattle used an option under Portland's contract with the Czech Republic firm Inekon to buy its cars.
...continues at the Oregonian.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2015, 9:24 PM
Karma Police

Three for the price of one. That's a great deal. Seems like since we helped Seattle get them in the first place, we should have first right of refusal. (We call dibs).

Old Posted Nov 14, 2015, 5:17 PM

Is that going to lead to increased service on existing routes?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2015, 7:30 PM
Karma Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photogeric View Post
Is that going to lead to increased service on existing routes?
That's what the article said, yes. Also increased reliability should they need to take one or two out of service for maintenance.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure