HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Oct 3, 2007, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsbear View Post
You are so right about the direct flights. I've been tracking flights out of PDX for 30 years and remember when "international" meant one daily flight to Vancouver. And Chicago was as far east as any non-stop went. Now we have Boston, NYC, Newark, Philadelphia, Detroit, Orlando, Atlanta, etc, etc, etc. Still need a Miami flight. American service to PDX is minor so it seems unlikely that we'll see a flight to their Miami hub any time soon. Hopefully Alaska will jump in there. We need London service to add to our growing list of international destinations; Tokyo, Frankfurt, four cities in Mexico, and our old friend Vancouver.
I wouldn't expect American to run a non-stop between PDX and Miami any time soon. AA has never been very profitable with PDX and will actually be canceling its service to Chicago after Christmas. That will leave only 4 American flight per day out of PDX on American - all of them to Dallas.

AA is also a codeshare partner with Alaska, so if PDX ever gets a direct flight to Miami, I would imagine it would be operated by Alaska.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2007, 3:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WESTSEATTLEGUY View Post
LMAO, well if you want to play that game, who has Mexico's Main Airline (Aero Mexico) flying daily from two different destinations in Mexico???? Name that really nice city..................................
I'm going to take a wild guess and say... Tacoma/Seattle.

But according to Aero Mexico's web site there is one daily non-stop to Mexico City. Couldn't find a second daily flight. The timetable URL for AM is http://www.aeromexico.com/usa/englis.../timetable.pdf.

And according to Wikipedia (not the definitive source, but easy to get to) Mexicana carried 12.645 million passengers in 2005. Aero Mexico carried 11.242 million passengers that same year.

Wikipedia URL: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...arried_in_2005

Old Posted Oct 3, 2007, 4:00 AM

Well the second flight of the day stops in Mexico City and then on to Guadalajara. So I guess its not a non-stop. Well, Aero Mexico added tons of new destinations this year including Seattle and a many others, including some in Europe. So I wouldn't be surprised if Aero Mexico was on top.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2007, 5:05 AM

Another pissing match? Maybe separating the forum isn't such a bad idea after all...

Old Posted Oct 4, 2007, 4:17 AM

LOL. Maybe.....................

Old Posted Oct 4, 2007, 4:31 AM
Pacific Wonderland

Good, I am glad that the PDX-FRA is staying in Portland. I was afraid with Freightliner moving to NC, that would kill the route.

LH has had a lot of success in serving US mid-sized markets, last year they expanded in Denver and added Munich along with the Frankfurt they already served. I took the screaming deal from DEN to MUC on a A340 last April. (crappy airframe, IMO) I am glad Portland will keep the route, despite losing Freightliner.

Now that I am in SoCal, the best connection is through BURBANK, the airport everyone seems to hate. PDX-BUR is a fantastic connection, considering the alternatives, LAX=shithole, Ontario=way the hell out there, otherwise great, Long Beach=really no better than BUR and farther than LAX.

travel, architecture & photos of the textured world at http://www.pixelmap.com

Old Posted Oct 4, 2007, 4:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderlandPark View Post
... the best connection is through BURBANK, the airport everyone seems to hate...
I think I'm guilty of posting the first (only?) negative Burbank comment in this thread. And now I feel real bad. I LOVE Burbank - easy in, easy out, hourly to most Bay Area cities, non-stop to Portland, and Jet Blue to JFK. It's the best airport in So Cal, and I live four miles away! That's next door by So Cal standards. The interior could still use some TLC and more/better services (Portland is soooo far ahead of most airports).

Ok, now hopefully the Burbank airport gods have forgiven me and my flights won't be canceled/delayed and the valet won't bang up my car.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2007, 5:32 AM

i was looking up some flights last year and to fly with delta from portland to san francisco was over $700 close to $800

but to fly with delta from seattle to san francisco was just $300

why such a big price difference? plus some of the flights seemed to be non-direct and bounced around

I played around with dates and everything and it didn't change much

Old Posted Oct 4, 2007, 1:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
i was looking up some flights last year and to fly with delta from portland to san francisco was over $700 close to $800

but to fly with delta from seattle to san francisco was just $300

why such a big price difference? plus some of the flights seemed to be non-direct and bounced around

I played around with dates and everything and it didn't change much
Delta does not fly non-stop from Portland to SFO. I don't think they do from Seattle, either. Alaska, United and Horizon fly non-stop from Portland to SFO. If cost is a driver, check out Southwest from Portland to Oakland. With 14 day advance purchase you can get tickets for as low as $59 one-way (plus tax, etc). From Oakland it's a $3.00 bus ride to the BART station (about 10 minutes) and then a $3.35 ride on BART to downtown San Francisco (about 20 minutes). That's not much longer than the BART ride from SFO to downtown. If you do wish to fly into SFO from PDX, Alaska has non-stop flights for as low as $158 plus tax ($178 total) round trip. 14 day advance purchase required for that price.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2007, 1:45 AM

Red Light District anyone?

So i was too lazy to post the actual press release from oregonlive but it looks like Northwest will start a non-stop from amsterdam to portland. It came quicker than I thought it would--but i won't complain. Its great news

Old Posted Oct 9, 2007, 1:51 AM
not qualified to comment

here you go. looks like there will be more information tommorrow... like a real announcement. YAY.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/breakingn...ans_nonst.html

Old Posted Oct 9, 2007, 2:22 AM

Hot diggity damn!!!!

Old Posted Oct 9, 2007, 2:28 AM

Very cool...I haven't been to Amsterdam in years...maybe they will have some introductory flight offers!

Old Posted Oct 10, 2007, 12:56 AM
Green Giant

I am wondering if the Port of Portland is currently studying the feasibility of building an exclusive "International Concourse". The growth of International flights seems to growing at a brisk pace and the need for expansion may not be far off.....

Old Posted Oct 10, 2007, 4:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsbear View Post
Delta does not fly non-stop from Portland to SFO. I don't think they do from Seattle, either. Alaska, United and Horizon fly non-stop from Portland to SFO. If cost is a driver, check out Southwest from Portland to Oakland. With 14 day advance purchase you can get tickets for as low as $59 one-way (plus tax, etc). From Oakland it's a $3.00 bus ride to the BART station (about 10 minutes) and then a $3.35 ride on BART to downtown San Francisco (about 20 minutes). That's not much longer than the BART ride from SFO to downtown. If you do wish to fly into SFO from PDX, Alaska has non-stop flights for as low as $158 plus tax ($178 total) round trip. 14 day advance purchase required for that price.
ah thanks for the info

we only checked Delta cause my friends friend could get us 90% off passes since he works with Delta

might have to think of that for some time off coming up

Old Posted Oct 10, 2007, 9:08 PM

Northwest to fly to Amsterdam

Wednesday, October 10, 2007
BY JONATHAN NELSON, Columbian staff writer

Northwest Airlines announced Tuesday it is starting a direct flight from Portland to Amsterdam, the airline's second nonstop international flight and one that creates a gateway to Europe for business and leisure travelers.

The inaugural flight departs March 29 and lands at Schiphol Airport, a hub for Northwest alliance partner KLM Royal Dutch Airlines. KLM serves 80 European destinations from Amsterdam, said Doug Steenland, Northwest president and CEO.

Steenland said the Portland-to-Amsterdam route was chosen because of the KLM tie, quality of Schiphol Airport and proximity to corporate offices for Vancouver and Portland-area companies such as Nike Inc.

Global connection

Bart Phillips, president of the Columbia River Economic Development Council, said this brings Southwest Washington that much closer to global companies and follows Lufthansa Airlines' successful direct flight from Portland to Frankfurt, Germany.

"I imagine this will be as equal because of the KLM gateway," he said. "It's a huge benefit and gives our businesses more options."

Lufthansa's arrival to the local market helped land two German-based companies in Clark County, Phillips said.

Vancouver Mayor Royce Pollard said during a press conference that Northwest's expansion raises the profile of Portland International Airport's transcontinental routes. Those flights were scarce a few years ago, but the airport has since reversed direction and now offers international flights to Mexico City, Guadalajara, Los Cabos, Puerto Vallarta, Vancouver, B.C., and Tokyo, which Northwest also operates.

The Tokyo route created a $100 million economic boost to the Portland market, and Northwest officials expect a similar financial bump from the Amsterdam flight.

Steenland said Northwest is in the middle of a $6 billion fleet expansion and is expected to add 18 Boeing 787s, the airline manufacturer's newest generation of passenger planes.

Update

Previously: Northwest Airlines in 2004 opened a direct flight from Portland to Tokyo.

What's new: The airline is adding a direct international flight from PDX to Amsterdam.

What's next: The European service begins March 29.

http://www.columbian.com/business/bu...-Amsterdam.cfm

Old Posted Oct 12, 2007, 9:07 PM
not qualified to comment

huzzah for PDX!

(formerly "Portland Domestic Airport")

Old Posted Oct 12, 2007, 9:13 PM
not qualified to comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew-Ski View Post
I am wondering if the Port of Portland is currently studying the feasibility of building an exclusive "International Concourse". The growth of International flights seems to growing at a brisk pace and the need for expansion may not be far off.....
i've been hoping for something similar myself. with all the new construction and renovations that have transformed the airport, d concourse is now kindof the ugly duckling, rather than an impressive entrance to a great airport and city. not that any international arrivals would ever see it, as they go directly downstairs for customs, then get bussed down the tarmac to the dimly lit, low ceilinged catacombs of the baggage claim basement. we can do better!

edit: i just found this on the POP's contract availability page. doesn't specify a timeline, and it would be interesting to see what they had in mind, but it's a start...
INTERNATIONAL MEETER/GREETER AREA IMPROVEMENTS $360,000
Rehabilitate the existing entrance and waiting area for arriving international
passengers in the baggage claim area. Work will include demolition, electrical,
communications/data, ceiling tile, lighting, carpets, wall tile, painting and signage.

Last edited by baloneyjoe; Oct 12, 2007 at 9:23 PM. Reason: found new information

Old Posted Oct 13, 2007, 2:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baloneyjoe View Post
huzzah for PDX!

(formerly "Portland Domestic Airport")
This is so cool - thank you!

May I ask that you also add Alaska's fights to Cabo and Puerto Vallarta?

(Please, if I spelled those city names wrong don't scream at me).

Old Posted Oct 13, 2007, 5:09 AM

I thought there were more flights to Canada than just Vancouver...thanks for doing that illustration, it's pretty sweet!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure