HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 1:26 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

When project renderings become available, I will create a project specific thread for the Atlantic Science Enterprise Centre. It will deserve it since this will be by far the most expensive construction project in the history of the city of Moncton ($700M).

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 1:51 AM

The number of windows in the rendering indicates only the central portion of the Gulf Fisheries Building will be kept. The wings at either end seem gone.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 1:59 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco401 View Post
The number of windows in the rendering indicates only the central portion of the Gulf Fisheries Building will be kept. The wings at either end seem gone.
Good observation! I was wondering if the building appeared a little truncated, but I wasn't sure.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 2:22 AM

The render in the picture looks to have been based on the google maps view of the area. The two-tone exit ramp and the parking lot vehicle pattern seems to match up.

And yeah, that building looks huge. Seems to be as big as the central part of the Dumont hospital, and possibly a floor bigger.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco401 View Post
Yeah, after I looked at it a bit yesterday, I came to the same conclusion... looks like they trim the "ears" back and keep the front, central section with the bulk of the floorspace being the new structure in the back.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 7:17 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I am surprised (and somewhat appalled) by how this major announcement about the ASEC has been ignored by several major media sources. Nothing on CTV Atlantic. Nothing on CBC (TV, radio or CBC.ca). The only coverage has been on a few local radio stations and the Times & Transcript.

What gives? This will be the most expensive construction project in the history of Moncton! This project will bring hundreds of high value scientific research jobs to the city!

I mean, what the frig!!!!

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 8:30 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I am surprised (and somewhat appalled) by how this major announcement about the ASEC has been ignored by several major media sources. Nothing on CTV Atlantic. Nothing on CBC (TV, radio or CBC.ca). The only coverage has been on a few local radio stations and the Times & Transcript.

What gives? This will be the most expensive construction project in the history of Moncton! This project will bring hundreds of high value scientific research jobs to the city!

If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all?

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 8:38 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Are you more concerned about the effects of the project on the CMA and New Brunswick as a whole or are you more interested in the media spotlight it'll get for Moncton? The project moves ahead with or without media attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesmalley View Post
If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all?
Me most of the time if i'm being honest.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 8:46 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Are you more concerned about the effects of the project on the CMA and New Brunswick as a whole or are you more interested in the media spotlight it'll get for Moncton? The project moves ahead with or without media attention.
I'm mostly upset with the media passing up on an opportunity to actually promote a good news story for a change. I dislike the focus of modern media upon conflict, identity politics and fault-finding. People want good news stories too! ASEC will be the icing on the cake of the developing research cluster on Universite Avenue. People should be aware of what is going on.

Even Dawn Arnold hasn't said boo about this major development, and this is during her re-election campaign!

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 8:55 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
I'm mostly upset with the media passing up on an opportunity to actually promote a good news story for a change. I dislike the focus of modern media upon conflict, identity politics and fault-finding. People want good news stories too! ASEC will be the icing on the cake of the developing research cluster on Universite Avenue. People should be aware of what is going on.
More people stop and look at a fire than at a wedding, if you get the gist. If people didn't click on bad news stories more frequently the media probably couldn't cover them more frequently.

At the end of the day we should all just be thankful that the investment is even happening in the first place and look forward to its after affects. Doesn't really matter to me if CTV gets a couple of clicks over it or not.

Quote:
Even Dawn Arnold hasn't said boo about this major development, and this is during her re-election campaign!
Probably because she seems to have had very little to do with it. Seems like a LeBlanc project through and through.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2021, 3:00 AM

I remember when I lived in PEI CBC did a story one time something to the effect of “Crows attacking students at UPEI campus.” They literally ONLY care about click bait. They should care about what the actual news is!

Old Posted Apr 10, 2021, 1:02 PM

Quote:
I noticed in the press release that the project plans to start next year and not be finished until 2030, anybody know why it is expected to take so long to complete?

Old Posted Apr 10, 2021, 1:37 PM

Acadie Nouvelle has an article with a closer look at the render:

https://www.acadienouvelle.com/actua...-de-recherche/

Old Posted Apr 10, 2021, 2:36 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Thanks pierre, unfortunately the link is behind a paywall. Did you read the article? Was there anything new on this development?

I would guess the large glassed in area in the centre of the building will be for an impressive lobby (and exhibit space). I know that they have secured a massive blue whale skeleton that they intend to hang from the rafters of the lobby. The building will also have a large parking garage, which I would say must be underground, given how it appears the entire site behind the old DFO Building seems elevated.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2021, 3:19 PM

Quote:

ATV'snewsroom is in Halifax and I find caters to that market. NB/PEI is mentioned but often the story is a fire, St. John river flooding and crimes. Most good news stories are within 100 K of the city. on PEI They let the ATV reporter go at least 2 years ago so PEI is mentioned but a reporter on PEI doing a story is a news event in itself.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2021, 3:47 PM

Quote:

Thanks pierre, unfortunately the link is behind a paywall. Did you read the article? Was there anything new on this development?

I would guess the large glassed in area in the centre of the building will be for an impressive lobby (and exhibit space). I know that they have secured a massive blue whale skeleton that they intend to hang from the rafters of the lobby. The building will also have a large parking garage, which I would say must be underground, given how it appears the entire site behind the old DFO Building seems elevated.
Site prep to begin within the next 18 months, employee numbers will pass from 375 to 700. Several different department will be incorporated, NRC, fisheries, agriculture....

Old Posted Apr 10, 2021, 5:20 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

That may not be anything like what the final building looks like. That's probably just a conceptual drawing.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2021, 5:22 PM

Awesome get for the province, and Moncton.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2021, 5:48 PM

Not an exact quote, but from what I remember: “Dept of Fisheries, Environment and Climate Change, Canada Food Inspection Agency, National Research of Canada and the Canada Space Agency will also be a virtual partner.”

Old Posted Apr 10, 2021, 7:07 PM

Quote:

There's an easy way around the Acadie Nouvelle paywall with a certain browser extension, which I'll refrain from naming because doing so may breach SSP rules.

And theshark already summarized correctly.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces