HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Mar 22, 2021, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
According to MLA Greg Turner, the Avenir Centre holds the record in Canada this year (so far) with the largest audience attending a live sporting event. The most recent Wildcats game had 2278 fans in attendance (25% capacity). I wasn't there personally, and haven't gone to any games since we re-entered yellow phase, but maybe I'll go to the next game at the centre.
Its certainly not the same game experience anymore, but I'd recommend checking out the team at least once. The fans can still be decently loud for big moments but the empty seat visual is hard to ignore. Obviously Moncton was never known much for its fan noise to begin with, so the visual aspect is worse than the audio one. Mentally it took me quite awhile to get over the horrible timing of everything last season and how it ruined a potential championship run with sell out crowds. I watch these games with a much more casual mentality.

They are thin on offensive talent and the D is very inexperienced, but they work tremendously hard and well coached. The new European (Ivan Barbashevs brother Max) looks like a very solid audition only a few games in. He plays the exact same style as Ivan, and looks like he should be a top line player the next 3 years.

The new goalie who they recently acquired in a trade for Jordan Spence looked like he had some great tools for a 16 year old.

I truly hope that next season can begin with a much higher, or full capacity. The restaurant scene downtown has expanded nicely around Avenir in the last year. It would be nice to see it used to its full potential.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 1:37 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

According to CBC Radio this morning, there is a new rooftop garden at the Avenir Centre, which will be used to provide fresh produce for the concessions in the centre.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 6:19 PM

Quote:
According to CBC Radio this morning, there is a new rooftop garden at the Avenir Centre, which will be used to provide fresh produce for the concessions in the centre.
Some photos available on the Avenir Facebook page.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 11:18 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

First Wildcat's home game is this weekend.

According to an e-mail I received from the team, there will be a couple of new concession options available this year.

Almost all concessions at the Avenir Centre are corporate (except for Tim Horton's and Goji's). This season, there will be two new non corporate additions to the stable of available concessions:

Apparently Mexi's Fresh Express and Candy Depot will be joining the mix.

I wish them well, but this will be a very challenging year for them, given the fourth wave and mask mandates. I hope they have the fortitude to stick it out, and come back next year too.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 4:56 PM
Non-Farmers, Farm Celery

Quote:

According to an e-mail I received from the team, there will be a couple of new concession options available this year.

Almost all concessions at the Avenir Centre are corporate (except for Tim Horton's and Goji's). This season, there will be two new non corporate additions to the stable of available concessions:

I wish them well, but this will be a very challenging year for them, given the fourth wave and mask mandates. I hope they have the fortitude to stick it out, and come back next year too.
Not to mention vaccination passports. Also I notice they have a buffet option but it has to be purchased for the whole season at almost $600! Not sure why it's not possible to do this on a per game basis and just limit the number of tickets available but to me that's mighty overpriced.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 5:34 PM

For wildcats games is there capacity limits with the new restrictions?

Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 5:58 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbilly View Post
For wildcats games is there capacity limits with the new restrictions?
Not that I'm aware, but depending on how things go over the next month or so, I could see limits being reinstituted.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Not that I'm aware, but depending on how things go over the next month or so, I could see limits being reinstituted.
Okay thank you !!

Old Posted Sep 30, 2021, 7:46 PM

Quote:

It will be nice to get Mexi Express at the avenir I loved them when they were at the Coliseum. And Candy Depot will add another great element. What I like they are inviting local businesses to be part of the vendor program and to give more food options.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2021, 2:08 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Here's a photo of the new Mexi's Fresh Express at the Avenir Centre (from Facebook)

Old Posted Dec 29, 2021, 1:53 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

How cranes in downtown Moncton help stave off tax increase for Avenir Centre
City set target to hit by 2023 to avoid rate increase tied to 8,800-seat arena
Shane Magee · CBC News · Posted: Dec 29, 2021 7:00 AM AT | Last Updated: 3 hours ago
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...axes-1.6297759

CBC photo

Quote:
Moncton expects to surpass a target set by the municipality that it says makes a tax increase unnecessary to pay for the $113-million Avenir Centre and plaza.

The target is related to new downtown development following the opening of the 8,800-seat arena. Specifically, the target was $108 million in new assessed value by 2023.
Quote:
based on building permits issued already, or construction already underway, the city projects to fall between $128 million and $146 million by 2023, well above the target.
It should be noted that this figure only refers to downtown development, not overall development in the entire city, and, even there, I doubt it includes all planned development. For example, it would not include all of Record Street, which will carry on until 2027, and will not include any of the Ashford/Downing Street redevelopment.

This is a testament to the foresight and persistence of former mayor George LeBlanc in spearheading the Avenir Centre proposal, and to Mayor Dawn Arnold for shepherding this project to completion.

Kudos to both of them.

Last edited by MonctonRad; Dec 29, 2021 at 2:08 PM.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2022, 7:59 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Some colour for the page:

Maintaining the outdoor skating surface on the Ian Fowler Oval at the Avenir Centre in downtown Moncton.

T&T photo

Old Posted Feb 24, 2022, 3:06 PM

Sad to see that the Avenir Centre is requiring a bailout due to loss of revenue from Covid.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...lout-1.6360982

Old Posted Mar 17, 2022, 6:00 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

According to the T&T, Beavertails is planning on opening a concession at the Avenir Centre later this month.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2022, 7:49 PM
Non-Farmers, Farm Celery

Quote:
According to the T&T, Beavertails is planning on opening a concession at the Avenir Centre later this month.

https://retail-insider.com/retail-in...deo-interview/

Perhaps part of their greater expansion with 20+ new locations expected across the country this year. They also had a food truck running last summer.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2022, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewber View Post
https://retail-insider.com/retail-in...deo-interview/

Perhaps part of their greater expansion with 20+ new locations expected across the country this year. They also had a food truck running last summer.
There was a Beavertails food truck at Rotary Park in Dieppe two weekends ago.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2022, 2:43 AM

I'm happy to see some expanded offerings at Avenir. I've found food to be quite subpar so far, but I guess that just goes with the territory with the arena. I think having a local or canadian franchise based pizza would be a nice addition. Something familiar like a Vitos rather than "generic rink pizza".

They've added abit more character and colour to the mezzanine with distinct paint colours / scheme in areas like the craft beer, beavertails & Mexis.

One comment I would add, the club seats are borderline empty every hockey game. Quite a shame. I'd imagine some folks signed on for the five year price protected deals and are waiting to cancel. The pandemic cost them 2 years of concert priority tickets, although they'd have some good options this year.

In hindsight having club seats in the bottom
3-4 rows doesn't really make much sense given the poor views for hockey.

The boxes generally do a pretty good job of being occupied, even the rental ones do well on the weeknight hockey games. Funny enough the one that's empty most nights is the Avenir Box right above centre ice

Looking forward to seeing how the big venue handles a nearly sold out Imagine Dragons show, which may be sold out by the time the doors open.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2022, 3:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lirette View Post
I'm happy to see some expanded offerings at Avenir. I've found food to be quite subpar so far, but I guess that just goes with the territory with the arena. I think having a local or canadian franchise based pizza would be a nice addition. Something familiar like a Vitos rather than "generic rink pizza".

They've added abit more character and colour to the mezzanine with distinct paint colours / scheme in areas like the craft beer, beavertails & Mexis.

One comment I would add, the club seats are borderline empty every hockey game. Quite a shame. I'd imagine some folks signed on for the five year price protected deals and are waiting to cancel. The pandemic cost them 2 years of concert priority tickets, although they'd have some good options this year.

In hindsight having club seats in the bottom
3-4 rows doesn't really make much sense given the poor views for hockey.

The boxes generally do a pretty good job of being occupied, even the rental ones do well on the weeknight hockey games. Funny enough the one that's empty most nights is the Avenir Box right above centre ice

Looking forward to seeing how the big venue handles a nearly sold out Imagine Dragons show, which may be sold out by the time the doors open.
For the Club Seats they have been costed out of the market plus I assume it’s businesses that bought those seats and haven’t bothered sending people in those seats and it’s almost like in the lower tier of 116 and that makes the rink look empty when the game is live.

But I hope next Wildcats steady there will be more fans out there to support the Wildcats and have bigger crowds as we exit the pandemic. My suggestion is for Irving to have a few games with 50/50 pots of 25K for a few games.

Although like I said earlier I don’t think paying an extra 300.00 for a padded seat, cup holders and longe access is really worth it in my opinion.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2022, 9:25 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Russia has lost the World Juniors this December because of the war in Ukraine. Canada has been asked by the IIHF to step into the breach.

Apparently Halifax and Moncton are going to mount a joint bid. There is not much time to lose. Hockey Canada has to decide on host cities by the end of April.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2022, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Russia has lost the World Juniors this December because of the war in Ukraine. Canada has been asked by the IIHF to step into the breach.

Apparently Halifax and Moncton are going to mount a joint bid. There is not much time to lose. Hockey Canada has to decide on host cities by the end of April.
That would be nice to have here, though I think they'd have a hard time competing against that rumoured joint bid between Ottawa and Quebec City.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces