HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Mar 18, 2021, 3:42 PM
hi

[Halifax] 5515 Cogswell (at Gottingen) | ? m | 10 fl | U/C

Here's what's going up at Cogswell & Gottingen. 10-storey (+ penthouse amenity space?) residential with 3,000 ft2 ground floor commercial.

Source & additional renderings: https://www.principaldevelopments.com/

Old Posted Mar 18, 2021, 4:23 PM

Not bad, and a big improvement over what this site has looked like for decades now, but I do have to wonder why it meets the corner with that blank space. Seems like an obvious design miscue.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2021, 4:38 PM
Just 183 km north of...

If I understood what I read on the developer's site correctly, that blank bullnose on the corner will become a engraved bit of public art...currently in design. The building looks better in the website pics. Still, it's a heavy looking building and appears to be a bit of a knock-off of The Pavilion.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2021, 4:54 PM
Somewhat Pretentious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen_Bane View Post
If I understood what I read on the developer's site correctly, that blank bullnose on the corner will become a engraved bit of public art...currently in design. The building looks better in the website pics. Still, it's a heavy looking building and appears to be a bit of a knock-off of The Pavilion.
I agree, it looks pretty thick.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2021, 8:04 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen_Bane View Post
If I understood what I read on the developer's site correctly, that blank bullnose on the corner will become a engraved bit of public art...currently in design.
It could look much better than the renderings with an art installation like that (actual high quality detailing applied to building, not random sculpture next to building) and signs/displays in the commercial spaces.

This is better quality than I expected. One thing that is a bit unfortunate is the apparent garage entrance on Gottingen. I wonder if the city should go a bit farther and ban curb cuts along these storefront corridors. Maybe the Centre Plan does and this is an old development agreement.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2021, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
It could look much better than the renderings with an art installation like that (actual high quality detailing applied to building, not random sculpture next to building) and signs/displays in the commercial spaces.

This is better quality than I expected. One thing that is a bit unfortunate is the apparent garage entrance on Gottingen. I wonder if the city should go a bit farther and ban curb cuts along these storefront corridors. Maybe the Centre Plan does and this is an old development agreement.
Not sure why they decided go Gottingen vs. Cogswell on the parking garage. Seems like an obvious choice for me.

I'm not sure on this one though quite yet. The massing just seems pretty huge for the lot? It almost looks like a cheap knockoff of Pavillion.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2021, 8:39 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleblanc View Post
I'm not sure on this one though quite yet. The massing just seems pretty huge for the lot? It almost looks like a cheap knockoff of Pavillion.
It also closely resembles The Bloom which is by the same developer.

It's probably just a reality of this site that it won't have the same budget as Pavilion. I don't know what the prices will be like, but I think it's good that the Gottingen area offers relatively affordable urban (including car-free) living. The alternative is for people to get pushed out into the suburbs unless they have money, which is not so great for those who can't drive or don't have a car.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2021, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
It also closely resembles The Bloom which is by the same developer.

It's probably just a reality of this site that it won't have the same budget as Pavilion. I don't know what the prices will be like, but I think it's good that the Gottingen area offers relatively affordable urban (including car-free) living. The alternative is for people to get pushed out into the suburbs unless they have money, which is not so great for those who can't drive or don't have a car.
There's an interesting push-pull with this site regarding eventual pricing. It's in a good location especially for people who work in Scotia Square and not too far from the upper parts of downtown and SGR. On the other hand it is next door to the Sally Ann and across the street from the cop shop, and is on a pretty busy corner for traffic and noise.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 12:31 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Not sure why they decided go Gottingen vs. Cogswell on the parking garage. Seems like an obvious choice for me.
Probably because of the grade on the site. Having the garage entrance at the lowest point reduces the need for interior ramps, which eat up a tonnnnn of space in underground parking.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 1:48 PM
hi

The U/C classification may have been a bit hasty; my apologies. I'm not sure if there are any permits beyond demolition just yet.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 4:09 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenoser View Post
The U/C classification may have been a bit hasty; my apologies. I'm not sure if there are any permits beyond demolition just yet.
We sometimes set the status to U/C during demolition or site prep, and definitely during excavation even if there is no permit yet. I think of it as an indication that there is some kind of work being done on the site. If it gets cancelled the status can always be changed.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
Probably because of the grade on the site. Having the garage entrance at the lowest point reduces the need for interior ramps, which eat up a tonnnnn of space in underground parking.
That does make sense, thinking of the site.

I do think the Bloom turned out nice, so I have good hopes for this site; but still... the massing is feeling off for me. That 10 storey corner looks awful on the Cogswell side IMO.

I think I'm pretty far from a NIMBY, but I would absolutely hate to own that house next door seeing these plans. From the renders perspective it almost looks like you can reach out and touch the house from the balconies.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 7:24 PM

Quote:
I think I'm pretty far from a NIMBY, but I would absolutely hate to own that house next door seeing these plans. From the renders perspective it almost looks like you can reach out and touch the house from the balconies.
I raised that issue about a different project on this forum before, and the answer is apparently that the people living in the house should be accepting of the situation as they were never guaranteed privacy in the first place, and the construction will be good for the city overall. So, not a problem.

I agree with those who don't like the solid part of the corner, but will say I do like the way the building conforms to and fills the corner lot. So, overall for me it's a .

Old Posted Mar 26, 2021, 4:28 AM

*This project is not approved yet*

Site prep is underway. The western sidewalk has been closed and replaced with a mid-block crossing. Cogswell has a on-street sidewalk. For those who follow my blog the link below is the quick access for this project. This is on my walking route so I'll provide regular updates.

Halifax Developments Blog (Photo by David Jackson)

Old Posted May 16, 2021, 2:49 PM

Old Posted Aug 13, 2021, 4:37 PM

Committee Approves ‘Uninspired’ Tower On Prominent Gottingen Corner In Halifax

https://huddle.today/committee-appro...EMAIL_CAMPAIGN)

Old Posted Aug 13, 2021, 5:38 PM

"Municipal committee wants a taller building. Plan passed by the city government restricts tall buildings." - Essentially the issue. Kind of funny that this is the case. Shows how big of a mistake it was to arbitrarily restrict height.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2021, 5:24 AM

Old Posted Nov 29, 2021, 7:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalNinja View Post
"Municipal committee wants a taller building. Plan passed by the city government restricts tall buildings." - Essentially the issue. Kind of funny that this is the case. Shows how big of a mistake it was to arbitrarily restrict height.
I feel this will be the heart of most of the problems with the center plan, for all the good it is doing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth