HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 3:06 PM
Future World Dictator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsule F View Post
I want to get this straight. The I-95 cap is only from Sansom to Walnut?
AFAIK it's Chestnut to Walnut, but not just over I-95. It's going to go all the way from Front down to the waterfront, though, which is why it's so much it's so much more than just an I-95 cap. That said, as I posted before, I'd love to see another block of I-95 capped, down to Dock Street.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 3:23 PM

Quote:
I want to get this straight. The I-95 cap is only from Sansom to Walnut?
Chestnut to Walnut. It will leave Walnut to Dock Street uncapped... however, I would have to think that would be capped in the future.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 4:04 PM

Yea, good thing it also caps Delaware Ave. because 95 is already capped from Chestnut to Sansom. I suppose this should make a pretty big difference.

Does this imply they are demolishing the current Penn's Landing configuration?

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 4:31 PM

World's Most Technologically Advanced Scoreboard Coming to Wells Fargo Center

https://www.nhl.com/flyers/news/the-...er/c-304716612

Save the SS United States!

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Yea, good thing it also caps Delaware Ave. because 95 is already capped from Chestnut to Sansom. I suppose this should make a pretty big difference.

Does this imply they are demolishing the current Penn's Landing configuration?
Yes, they are completely redoing it. The whole thing will be a unitary 11 acre park straight down to the water. It’s a big deal.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 5:48 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
Yes, they are completely redoing it. The whole thing will be a unitary 11 acre park straight down to the water. It’s a big deal.
It will be interesting to see how they integrate the grading of the cap to the swath of parking in front of the delaware river. My estimation is that the cap will be sitting 30 ft above street level, that is columbus blvd, the maritime museum, etc.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
It will be interesting to see how they integrate the grading of the cap to the swath of parking in front of the delaware river. My estimation is that the cap will be sitting 30 ft above street level, that is columbus blvd, the maritime museum, etc.
From the renderings I've seen, the master plan is to leave Chestnut to market uncapped. But...there have been drawings of a couple of sizable hotels on that space as well and there is an RFP out for ideas on how to better utilize that parking lot.

The entire area from Spring Garden to Dock Street will look A LOT different in a few years.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 8:12 PM

This was the more recent I-95 park plan. Not that it necessarily will, but this would be an absolute transformation for Penn's Landing if the cap, and all of these new construction buildings happen.

http://www.hargreaves.com/work/penns-landing/

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 8:19 PM

I really hope they don't get rid of Spruce St Harbor Park! I love that place!

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
I really hope they don't get rid of Spruce St Harbor Park! I love that place!
That drawing looks like they would just make more of Spruce Street Park, which is awesome.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 9:11 PM

Is the area along the river just north of the cap, shown in the drawings to have buildings constructed on it, part of the proposed I-95/Delaware Ave. cap or is that just a dream for the future? What's in that location presently?

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaamazarite View Post
That property is owned by a mish-mash of partners and one of those partners had it tied up in litigation for several years. They sold their partial ownership to someone else at the end of 2016 who appears to be a hotel operator (or maybe hopes to be one). Nothing has happened since then and the building is deteriorating rapidly, though it had some shoring-up done last year.
Thanks for the info.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 3:16 AM

Is the Independence Seaport Museum being closed/replaced? The Becuna and Olympia are there in the rendering, but the museum building is gone.

Also, R.I.P RiverRink, as the rendering indicates.

Save the SS United States!

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 3:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Saturn64 View Post
Is the Independence Seaport Museum being closed/replaced? The Becuna and Olympia are there in the rendering, but the museum building is gone.

RiverLink?

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 4:19 AM

Quote:

No, it’s not. They are opening it up and adding more glass to the facade.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
Is the area along the river just north of the cap, shown in the drawings to have buildings constructed on it, part of the proposed I-95/Delaware Ave. cap or is that just a dream for the future? What's in that location presently?
They want to sell the land and have it developed. So I guess a dream of what happens? Put the plan to develop it is there. Same with all of the land south of the Hilton hote and Harbor Park.

What’s there now - this is the portion of the riverfront between chestnut and market where the scissor ramps used to be, and where the ice rink and such is now.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:

The seaport museum is staying exactly where it is now, just the facade modernized.

The ice rink will move from its currently location to the new portion of the cap park. Click on the link I provided under the renderings. There is a rendering that shows a winter scene with the ice rink.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swinefeld View Post
Sports Complex gets new neighbor — an $80 million office tower

https://kywnewsradio.radio.com/artic...alled-pattison
I really think the whole area could benefit from commercial, retail, and residential.

While not exact in comparisons there are other plans for stadiums

http://www.arrowstreet.com/portfolio...e-master-plan/

https://www.ajc.com/news/local/the-b...5HW76ahnfqGpJ/

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 6:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidphilly View Post
I really think the whole area could benefit from commercial, retail, and residential.

While not exact in comparisons there are other plans for stadiums

http://www.arrowstreet.com/portfolio...e-master-plan/

https://www.ajc.com/news/local/the-b...5HW76ahnfqGpJ/

It's a boring generic, glass box architecture moment, but I can't say that activating the parking lots in the sports complex–a massive underutilized TOD opportunity–isn't smart.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 2:21 PM

Better than another wireless provider store, I guess.

Another Wawa for Center City?

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...nter-city.html

Quote:
Wawa Inc., in its quest to blanket Center City with its convenience stores, has signed a lease on space at 16th and Ranstead streets, according to people familiar with the deal.

The space totals about 3,000 square feet and is where an AT&T store was once located. The store will be Wawa’s ninth location in Center City and be the smallest. It is believed it will serve as a pilot for whether that smaller size will successfully work in Center City and, if it does, will be rolled out on a grander scale, according to someone familiar with Wawa’s strategy.

Lori Bruce, a spokesperson for Wawa, said she was unable to confirm the location or provide any information.

The retail property at 33-37 S. 16th St. is located in a prominent spot in Philadelphia’s Central Business District and sits directly across from Liberty Place. The unassuming building totals 10,000 square feet. The ground floor had been occupied by AT&T Mobile for 15 years but late in 2016, the telephone service provider did not renew its lease and moved to 15th and Walnut streets.

Another prominent feature of the property is it has 50 feet of frontage along 16th Street and good visibility. It is considered a “gateway” property to the retail district of 16th and Chestnut streets and is zoned CMX-5.

Wawa has been expanding in the city, throughout the suburbs and across the region. It entered Center City in 2015 with a 5,000-square-foot lease for a new store at Broad and Walnut streets and has been opening up new stores at a steady clip ever since.

Last year, it opened its largest store to date, which totaled 11,500 square feet at 6th and Chestnut streets across from Independence Hall. With the addition of a store at 16th and Ranstead, that will mean Wawa has a store on every block from 12th through 16th streets between Market and Walnut streets. While it appears from its recent openings that Wawa prefers large retail spaces on corners in Center City, the availability of such spaces is limited and has apparently forced the retailer to consider exploring a smaller format such as the one at 16th and Ranstead.

David Waxman of MM Partners, which is involved with a venture that owns the building, declined to comment.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development