HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

View Poll Results: Do you take your shoes off when you enter your abode?
Yes 97 94.17%
No 6 5.83%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 3:04 PM

Going barefoot outside the home is as weird to me as wearing shoes inside the house.

The worst offenders IMO are people on planes who wear socks into the lavs. So disgusting, yet I routinely see people do it on longhaul flights

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 3:06 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
That’s true — as a child it used to be if you went to a friend’s house and they had “hardwood floors”, it meant they were too poor to afford broadloom.
I am around 50 years old and at least in Quebec/French Canada, I can't recall at any point in my life that not having carpeting was seen as "low-brow" and carpeting being seen as a desirable luxury.

Perhaps it's due to most people having electric heating and the relationship between that and unpleasant static electricity in the winter?

I personally entered the housing market in Quebec 25 years ago and *not* having carpets in a house has always been a feature, not a bug.

I just did a Google search to bring up real estate ads in Quebec and the key words "pas de tapis" or "aucun tapis" bring in almost 1 million hits between them.

Even as a kid in the 80s, while we did not live in Quebec and the suburban areas we lived in tended to be "broadloom city" (even to the point of some homes having carpeting in the kitchen and bathrooms) but in the subculture that was my parents' (generally "expat" francophone) friends, hardwood floors were a much sought-after home design feature.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distill3d View Post
Following tradition of my parents and grandparents, shoes and hats aren't allowed to be worn in the house. Though, I'm not as strict as them. I'll let you keep your shoes on if you're in need of the bathroom prior to entering or exiting my apartment, however your hat comes off your head no matter what.

There was a point made about house parties and following the law of the land. I totally agree with that, but you can't mix it up. Shoes are either on or off and only because it hurts like hell if someone steps on your barefoot with their shoes on.
Why would anyone be wearing a hat in the house?

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Going barefoot outside the home is as weird to me as wearing shoes inside the house.

The worst offenders IMO are people on planes who wear socks into the lavs. So disgusting, yet I routinely see people do it on longhaul flights
I've noticed increasing numbers of people wearing socks in the free weights area of my gym (I'm told it's believed to have some sort of exercise benefit?). You'll see them trundle off to the loo and come back to continue their workout. Too gross!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I am around 50 years old and at least in Quebec/French Canada, I can't recall at any point in my life that not having carpeting was seen as "low-brow" and carpeting being seen as a desirable luxury.

Perhaps it's due to most people having electric heating and the relationship between that and unpleasant static electricity in the winter?

I personally entered the housing market in Quebec 25 years ago and *not* having carpets in a house has always been a feature, not a bug.

I just did a Google search to bring up real estate ads in Quebec and the key words "pas de tapis" or "aucun tapis" bring in almost 1 million hits between them.

Even as a kid in the 80s, while we did not live in Quebec and the suburban areas we lived in tended to be "broadloom city" (even to the point of some homes having carpeting in the kitchen and bathrooms) but in the subculture that was my parents' (generally "expat" francophone) friends, hardwood floors were a much sought-after home design feature.
I'm old enough to remember when wall-to-wall carpetting over hardwood floors became the "thing". I recall my Mother once commenting negatively on the subsequent trend to bare floors by noting that such floors were "dust magnets". The implication being that carpetting might be dusty, but it wasn't as visible!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 3:21 PM
be nice to the crackheads

I had a serious debate with some of my American friends about this a couple of years ago. Their argument was if you take your dog(s) out for a walk, their paws will be just as dirty as a pair of shoes, so why the double standard?

That was their argument.

I responded by saying dogs get a pass because we love them, so it's that necessary evil. Our pets shouldn't be used as a trojan horse so you can put your dirty-ass sneakers on someone's hardwood floors, or even worse, light carpeting.

They still couldn't get behind it. It was really bizarre as these guys are really intelligent people that I've known for well over a decade.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 3:33 PM
video et taceo

This is really just a U.S. peculiarity. Nobody else wears shoes inside their house.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
I had a serious debate with some of my American friends about this a couple of years ago. Their argument was if you take your dog(s) out for a walk, their paws will be just as dirty as a pair of shoes, so why the double standard?

That was their argument.

I responded by saying dogs get a pass because we love them, so it's that necessary evil. Our pets shouldn't be used as a trojan horse so you can put your dirty-ass sneakers on someone's hardwood floors, or even worse, light carpeting.

They still couldn't get behind it. It was really bizarre as these guys are really intelligent people that I've known for well over a decade.
My dogs were also trained to wait in the front hall to have the snow/mud/water wiped off their paws with a towel. If guests want to be subjected to me patronizingly wiping down their shoes while saying "who's a good boy/girl?" they can do that too I guess. May even give them a cookie if they're well behaved.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
My dogs were also trained to wait in the front hall to have the snow/mud/water wiped off their paws with a towel. If guests want to be subjected to me patronizingly wiping down their shoes while saying "who's a good boy/girl?" they can do that too I guess. May even give them a cookie if they're well behaved.

LOL, that's hilarious.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 3:57 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
:
I actually go barefoot a lot between the house and the swimming pool area in the summer. Now, to get from the house from the pool you cross some multi-level decks, a very short stretch of grass (two or three steps) and then patio stones.

And when you enter my house, the most heavily-trafficked areas on the ground floor are actually ceramic tile, and not hardwood.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 4:01 PM

Quote:
I actually go barefoot a lot between the house and the swimming pool area in the summer. Now, to get from the house from the pool you cross some multi-level decks, a very short stretch of grass (two or three steps) and then patio stones.

And when you enter my house, the most heavily-trafficked areas on the ground floor are actually ceramic tile, and not hardwood.
Decks and patios get a pass from me (even though I personally tend to prefer wearing flip flops for that reason), I was thinking more of work or other places that are decidedly not "yours".

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 4:14 PM
of Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
This is really just a U.S. peculiarity. Nobody else wears shoes inside their house.
I think the UK and Australia have the shoes on rule too. Or that's been my experience anyway.
All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us? NOTHING!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 4:27 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Decks and patios get a pass from me (even though I personally tend to prefer wearing flip flops for that reason), I was thinking more of work or other places that are decidedly not "yours".

Like people barefoot on the TTC...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/27679312@N00/4907896344

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 4:29 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I think climate plays into it a lot.

Countries that have most of their regions with fairly dry climates are probably more likely to lean to "shoes on" whereas countries that are often rainy/snowy tend to be "shoes off".

The U.S. is a mix of climates of course but in the latter half of the 20th century the cultural influence of the south and southwest grew considerably, and these are "drier" areas.

You don't really have that at play in Canada.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 4:35 PM

^ Even the most hardcore upper class snob with servants to clean up messes would probably recoil at the idea of stomping around the house with snow-coated shoes.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 4:39 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Countries that have most of their regions with fairly dry climates are probably more likely to lean to "shoes on" whereas countries that are often rainy/snowy tend to be "shoes off".
I've seen lots of people in Seattle wear their shoes at home. They sort of wipe them off if necessary but I still find it strange and a little gross.

Quote:
Carpeted bathrooms...

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 4:43 PM

Quote:
^ Even the most hardcore upper class snob with servants to clean up messes would probably recoil at the idea of stomping around the house with snow-coated shoes.
Once upon a time, gentlemen wore overshoes/boots/galoshes/"toe rubbers" over their shoes to avoid this risk. Ladies carried their shoes with them in a shoe bag (although I also seem to recall ladies overshoes for some types of footwear).

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 4:44 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I've seen lots of people in Seattle wear their shoes at home..
They at least partly do that because they're part of the U.S. It's part of the pervasiveness of the broader American culture, regardless of location.

Similar to Hawaiians celebrating Thanksgiving.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 4:45 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
once upon a time, gentlemen wore overshoes/boots/galoshes/"toe rubbers" over their shoes to avoid this risk. Ladies carried their shoes with them in a shoe bag (although i also seem to recall ladies overshoes for some types of footwear).
Please remove rubbers before entering

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Once upon a time, gentlemen wore overshoes/boots/galoshes/"toe rubbers" over their shoes to avoid this risk. Ladies carried their shoes with them in a shoe bag (although I also seem to recall ladies overshoes for some types of footwear).
Still a common sight for dress shoes. But these days, many people wear casual shoes outside without the benefit of that kind of protection.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada