HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 7:49 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortaPetee View Post
This model makes me love it even more. And the appearance of the water interface seems much more reasonable than some of the drawings made it appear. Part of it already exists (the boardwalk that goes out around the shoreline instead of over land.) The add-ons further out into the water are not so large and messy after all. I want to see this thing built!
Yes, perhaps some of the drama added to the renderings detracted from the appeal of the proposal by making it look less realistic. With this model it is clear how it fits in with the surroundings.

I know a lot of people aren't a fan of the Cunard proposal but I think the trio of current waterfront developments is going to completely transform the area if they're all built. There will still be many areas to improve, but there won't be any big dead zones left.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 5:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortaPetee View Post
Of course the Barrington St. Superstore doesn't help, nor does the inability to cross from Inglis / Barrington to the piers without going around the Westin. I hope "they" can figure out how to knit those pieces back together.
There's a tunnel under the tracks that goes between the Seafarer's Mission and the very end of Barrington, if you don't turn up the hill to Inglis.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
... That Halifax-waterfront-specific theme could have been carried through in a big way in a project like this. A solid-looking masonry wall or form, maybe along Lower Water, would have made me like the proposals a lot more...
In this aspect, DIALOG's proposal has the facade that is most solid on Lower Water - it's one of the concerns I have with the proposal though - not the most welcoming for a building that is supposed to move beyond a container for art and become more about supporting social connections, community gatherings, and be more of an active participant to public life in the city.

Quote:
... The north elevation of Bishop's [Landing] is basically treated like an alley and is basically a 100 m+ long blank wall...
Yes. It seems the instruction to reserve the southern portion of the site for future development seems to have resulted in difficulty in meaningfully connecting to Bishop's Landing.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Reminds me of this:

I think it's just meant to be an abstract massing type diagram. But wow does that ever change the appearance of that area by defining the square properly and making Barrington more consistently built up. It is mostly a nice neighbourhood with a good scale, with one particularly bad planning mistake. Halifax is full of "almost great" areas. In many cities the streets sloping up from the Westin would have been turned into a heritage conservation district long ago.
Absolutely. This addresses what is potentially one of the biggest detractions of the neighbourhood (the suburban model Superstore with massive parking lot right at the street).

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 4:02 PM
hi

The winning design has been selected:

KPMB ARCHITECTS WITH OMAR GANDHI ARCHITECT, JORDAN BENNETT STUDIO, ELDER LORRAINE WHITMAN (NWAC), PUBLIC WORK AND TRANSSOLAR ---

https://www.thechronicleherald.ca/ne...rfront-521729/

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 4:32 PM
Somewhat Pretentious

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenoser View Post
The winning design has been selected:

KPMB ARCHITECTS WITH OMAR GANDHI ARCHITECT, JORDAN BENNETT STUDIO, ELDER LORRAINE WHITMAN (NWAC), PUBLIC WORK AND TRANSSOLAR ---

https://www.thechronicleherald.ca/ne...rfront-521729/

Great news! I was hoping this one would come out on top.

Last edited by Good Baklava; Nov 18, 2020 at 4:49 PM.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 5:51 PM

Now they just need to figure out how to pay for it. This strikes me as another Designer Library (TM Regd.) only several times more expensive.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Now they just need to figure out how to pay for it. This strikes me as another Designer Library (TM Regd.) only several times more expensive.
I’m willing to start a gofundme effort in order to have a room named after you Keith!

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 6:46 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Good stuff! This was my preferred choice.

This should be a good fit for this part of the waterfront and should fit in very well with the surrounding neighbourhood.

So, which room in this building should we name after Keith? Maybe the cloakroom????

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 7:12 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
This should be a good fit for this part of the waterfront and should fit in very well with the surrounding neighbourhood.
The boardwalk is okay around this area but it will be much nicer with the gallery and this empty site is one of a handful that really feel like open wounds and are compromising a whole little district of a few surrounding blocks.

There are some gems nearby like the brewery and the Bishop's Landing area has become vibrant (even if the architecture is a little dated). But that area will never feel like a seamless extension of the city when it's half parking lots.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 7:16 PM
ハルウララ

Great proposal. Excited to see how this one fleshes out.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 8:19 PM

I personally think that the design should include some sort of space for concerts, if it doesn't, it will be very disappointing. The present space is a world class location for concerts, festivals, etc... due to the combination of being on the waterfront and having such great views of the downtown skyline.

However, I have my doubts that this will be built anytime soon due to the present pandemic situation. Even if there are effective vaccines coming out soon (we all hope) it will take years for the cruise industry to get back to where it was, including tourism as a whole. Without it this could be the proverbial definition of a white elephant and a very expensive one at that.

Jethro

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 8:24 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro Bodine View Post
Even if there are effective vaccines coming out soon (we all hope) it will take years for the cruise industry to get back to where it was, including tourism as a whole. Without it this could be the proverbial definition of a white elephant and a very expensive one at that.
Presumably the AGNS mostly exists to benefit residents of NS, not cruise ship passengers.

The budget of this one is not really that grandiose and they've already secured a few different sources of funding including from donors.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 8:54 PM
Somewhat Pretentious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro Bodine View Post
I personally think that the design should include some sort of space for concerts, if it doesn't, it will be very disappointing. The present space is a world class location for concerts, festivals, etc... due to the combination of being on the waterfront and having such great views of the downtown skyline.

However, I have my doubts that this will be built anytime soon due to the present pandemic situation. Even if there are effective vaccines coming out soon (we all hope) it will take years for the cruise industry to get back to where it was, including tourism as a whole. Without it this could be the proverbial definition of a white elephant and a very expensive one at that.

Jethro
I have to agree with someone123 on who this is for: it’s not your average tourist trap and will be a good home for local talent and admirers. Not to mention a better venue for bringing in travelling exhibits from the world for our local maritimers to admire.

About the concerts, I think adding such a space would only cannibalize demand for other venues in the DT area. The public space already included would be nice for small street shows.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2020, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Read this Keith; you will enjoy the stupidity described by the author :
https://quillette.com/2020/11/17/wor...a-luxury-good/

And sounds somewhat Pythonesque

Old Posted Nov 19, 2020, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post
Read this Keith; you will enjoy the stupidity described by the author :
https://quillette.com/2020/11/17/wor...a-luxury-good/

And sounds somewhat Pythonesque
It is simply insanity. The Oberlin College story is tragic.

Getting back to this, it will almost certainly be a $200 million project by the time it is ready to open its doors and at that point the federal money will have dried up and the province will be left to deal with the cost overruns. And despite the pandering this represents, it will do nothing to improve the relationship between the indigenous groups and govts, though it may make a number of woke bureaucrats sleep better at night (not that they usually need much help with that given how much they doze during the workday).

Old Posted Nov 19, 2020, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Dammit Hobbs you broke another set of lights!

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 2:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Baklava View Post

Great news! I was hoping this one would come out on top.
It looks fantastic. Congratulations Halifax!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2021, 3:40 PM

There is action on this site. I saw a foundation underway for the Amos building to be moved over to the parking lot opposite the proposed site. I asked a worker when they are to move and she said sometime early 2022, so construction should begin sometime in early 2022.

With this, Cunard, Cogswell, the Governor, and the Press Block going on, downtown will look very different in a few years and for the better!

Old Posted Mar 20, 2022, 3:39 PM

Update: the Amos building is being lifted off the site and is being moved over to the adjacent parking lot. Construction is due to start this spring so I hope it is starting very soon. 😊

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth