HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 14, 2020, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
There’s no smearing going on. You seem to be the only one offended by something so obviously true.
I can understand why it's important to use precise language, though. Saying something like "rural people are racist" is different than "statistically, racism exists in greater amounts in rural areas."

Old Posted Nov 14, 2020, 7:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festivus View Post
I can understand why it's important to use precise language, though. Saying something like "rural people are racist" is different than "statistically, racism exists in greater amounts in rural areas."
Oh come on. Everyone knows what I was talking about, except one person. This is a public forum but it isn't exactly a formal setting.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2020, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Oh come on. Everyone knows what I was talking about, except one person. This is a public forum but it isn't exactly a formal setting.
Still, it's good practice to do it everywhere. It's a lot easier to disregard a valid point buried within a blanket, overreaching statement than it is to do so with a thoughtful, somewhat qualified but much more accurate statement.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2020, 4:21 PM

Does Sandra Masters and new council immediately go into City Hall or is there a transition period of time?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2020, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
Does Sandra Masters and new council immediately go into City Hall or is there a transition period of time?
Immediately.

They take their positions officially at the meeting next week.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2020, 6:35 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
Still, it's good practice to do it everywhere. It's a lot easier to disregard a valid point buried within a blanket, overreaching statement than it is to do so with a thoughtful, somewhat qualified but much more accurate statement.
That’s a fair point. I have to remember that common sense isn’t always common.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2020, 6:48 PM

Quote:
That’s a fair point. I have to remember that common sense isn’t always common.
If you want to criticize racists and bigots for generalizing about people with certain characteristics, you should not be doing the very same thing yourself.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2020, 7:01 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
If you want to criticize racists and bigots for generalizing about people with certain characteristics, you should not be doing the very same thing yourself.
There is no excuse in 2020 to not understand that the more white, male and uneducated one is, the more likely they are to complain about immigrants being the reason their lives suck and boast about their rights being violated when asked to wear a mask. And I say this as a white male myself. But your point is taken.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2020, 10:50 PM

Quote:
There is no excuse in 2020 to not understand that the more white, male and uneducated one is, the more likely they are to complain about immigrants being the reason their lives suck and boast about their rights being violated when asked to wear a mask. And I say this as a white male myself. But your point is taken.
Wouldn't that be the same as saying if one is indigenous that it's more likely they'll break the law? Do you still not understand?

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 12:01 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappcam View Post
Wouldn't that be the same as saying if one is indigenous that it's more likely they'll break the law? Do you still not understand?
I said his point was taken. Can you read?

Edit: what you said isn’t even inaccurate. It’s all about context. And the context of my statement is regarding the urban/rural divide. I can’t believe this is controversial lol.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 3:54 AM

Quote:
OK I agree especially because you used "more likely"!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan