HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 1:58 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
Actually, I'd go as far as to say that most northern paved highways are in as good of or better shape at this point than their southern counterparts. They've gotten hundreds of millions worth of work over the last decade.
Sad. The population of the north is so sparse compared to the south. The Government has it's priorities mixed up.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 2:01 AM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
Sad. The population of the north is so sparse compared to the south. The Government has it's priorities mixed up.
The South, in comparison, has gotten billions over the same period. Since 2006, when the budget was raised, a combined total of over $5B has been spent on Manitoba's highways.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 3:14 AM
BANNED

Quote:
The South, in comparison, has gotten billions over the same period. Since 2006, when the budget was raised, a combined total of over $5B has been spent on Manitoba's highways.
The South has over 95% of the population, so that is where the infrastructure spending should be concentrated on.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 3:28 AM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
The South has over 95% of the population, so that is where the infrastructure spending should be concentrated on.
I agree (for the most part). Highway 6 and 10 are as busy as any southern highway, and needed all of the work that they got.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 4:21 AM

Quote:
I agree (for the most part). Highway 6 and 10 are as busy as any southern highway, and needed all of the work that they got.
Hwy 6 especially - that is THE road to the north. When they improved #6 over the past few years did they add extra passing lanes. There is quite a bit of truck traffic along the route so I would think that would be an important addition.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 4:27 AM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Hwy 6 especially - that is THE road to the north. When they improved #6 over the past few years did they add extra passing lanes. There is quite a bit of truck traffic along the route so I would think that would be an important addition.
There are passing lanes between Grosse Isle and Woodlands, with plans to add passing lanes between Winnipeg and Grosse Isle. There are also fully paved shoulders from Winnipeg to Warren. They removed corners at St Francois and Woodlands, and straightened the corner at Grosse Isle. The rest of the road up to St Laurent has partially paved shoulders, and is all brand new. They added many more traffic islands and bypass lanes with the reconstruction, and even a deceleration lane at the Petro Canada south of St Laruent. Most of the rest of the work (aside new road with partially paved shoulders from 68 north junction to Ashern) has taken place north of Grand Rapids. I haven't been up there in a few years, but it was all in really good shape. From what I hear, it still is. Highway 10 is now in similar condition, having passing lanes and paved shoulders from Brandon to Minnedosa, and being to modern standard pretty much all the way up to Flin Flon.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 1:52 PM

^ On that note, I was looking at the Manitoba AADT map the other day and I have to say, there really aren't that many obvious candidates for twinning. It basically comes down to a smattering of PTHs in and around Winnipeg and Steinbach (the most glaring need is McGillivray Blvd to the Perimeter), PTH 59 up to Grand Beach, PTH 15 to Dugald and then the 10 from Brandon to Minnedosa. I have to admit I was a bit surprised, but for the most part the highways in Manitoba that need to be twinned already are.

The sweet spot for highway improvements are things like surfacing, shoulder improvement, intersection improvement, passing lanes, etc. Which is pretty well where most of the attention has been focused in recent years. A few more interchanges would be helpful too, but it sounds like that's coming.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 3:05 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
then the 10 from Brandon to Minnedosa.
On most days, the new passing lanes are fine, with one caveat - they don't allow people to pass on the side without the passing lane in Manitoba when there's no traffic on the other side. In Saskatchewan and a few other places, they allow that. It's far more efficient.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 3:28 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
^ On that note, I was looking at the Manitoba AADT map the other day and I have to say, there really aren't that many obvious candidates for twinning. It basically comes down to a smattering of PTHs in and around Winnipeg and Steinbach (the most glaring need is McGillivray Blvd to the Perimeter), PTH 59 up to Grand Beach, PTH 15 to Dugald and then the 10 from Brandon to Minnedosa. I have to admit I was a bit surprised, but for the most part the highways in Manitoba that need to be twinned already are.

The sweet spot for highway improvements are things like surfacing, shoulder improvement, intersection improvement, passing lanes, etc. Which is pretty well where most of the attention has been focused in recent years. A few more interchanges would be helpful too, but it sounds like that's coming.
I would add 59 south to St Pierre, or at least to the junction of PTH 52, which is an absolute shit show during most parts of the day. I agree on the interchanges too, although that can't happen fast enough. There are many other areas that warrant improvement too.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 3:42 PM

^ Yes, I would agree... 59 down to St. Pierre and 52 from Steinbach to 59 probably need to be done sooner rather than later as well... I considered those as falling in the "Winnipeg and Steinbach area" catch-all.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 3:52 PM
Closed account

Quote:

Yeah, twinning is pretty cheap in southern Manitoba, so it gets done quickly. On a per-dollar basis, it is likely the best value to improving safety, as it eliminates reckless passing and head-on collisions. There is a point where twinning no longer cuts it and at-grade intersections should be eliminated, which is where they are at with the Perimeter.

Generally IMO, government functions pretty well in this country. Aside from a few stupid boondoggles, we generally don't overbuild and temper our enthusiasm with a healthy dose of pragmatism.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 3:55 PM
BANNED

Quote:
No kidding, aside from Thompson where is there economic tax generated in northern Manitoba? Paving roads in the north for sparse populations makes no sense!

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 3:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:

Twinning:

1. #14 (Winkler-#75)
2. #15 (Winnipeg-Dugald)
3. #155 (Mcgillivary-Oak Bluff)
4. #59 (extent to #52 then divide to Mitchell, and extend twinning to Grand Beach exit)
5. #6 (Winnipeg-St.Laurent)

I would also build a highway from Oakbank to Transcona.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 3:59 PM

^ Your numbers 2 and 3 are no-brainers, definitely in need of twinning. 1 and 4 are really not that busy by traffic count to justify twinning... although the 6 is a somewhat treacherous highway for other reasons (many long haul drivers, etc.) where those factors could bump it up the priority list somewhat.

An Oakbank expressway (which has been planned for years if not decades now) could obviate the need to twin the 15 to Dugald.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 4:11 PM
BANNED

From 2014:

"A new plan to the Winnipeg region calls for multiple highways to be twinned and as many 15 cloverleafs — highway interchanges — to be built.

Following two years of community consultation, engineering studies and a technical review, the Partnership of the Manitoba Capital Region (PMCP) unveiled its transportation master plan on Tuesday.

The PMCP includes the Manitoba Infrastructure and Transportation department as well as representatives from the City of Winnipeg and 16 municipalities surrounding it"

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...plan-1.2670649

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
I would add 59 south to St Pierre, or at least to the junction of PTH 52, which is an absolute shit show during most parts of the day. I agree on the interchanges too, although that can't happen fast enough. There are many other areas that warrant improvement too.
TCH from Falcon Lake to the Ontario border. Ontario is twinning from the border to Kenora hopefully by 2020:

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/hig...-2016-2020.pdf

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
TCH from Falcon Lake to the Ontario border. Ontario is twinning from the border to Kenora hopefully by 2020:

There is a concerted effort between both Manitoba and Ontario on the twinning of Hwy 1 in the Whiteshell. Kind of like both projects are linked and would happen at similar timelines. Although I haven't heard squat recently on either.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 5:07 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
There is a concerted effort between both Manitoba and Ontario on the twinning of Hwy 1 in the Whiteshell. Kind of like both projects are linked and would happen at similar timelines. Although I haven't heard squat recently on either.
I believe the Ontario portion is bogged down in negotiations with the Native bands along the route.

That, and I suspect the government isn't pushing for it now with the limitations on the budget.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 5:12 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post

That's really unexpected actually, I always figured it would take decades before we saw any movement.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 5:27 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
That's really unexpected actually, I always figured it would take decades before we saw any movement.
Considering the number of deaths and volume of traffic on that stretch it really should have been twinned thirty years ago!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan