HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 15, 2020, 1:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Any chance of floors being lopped off if they are having to add more steel (more weight) to the structure?
Anything’s possible but no actual talk of it yet in official channels. I imagine if they have a third seismic event there will be some serious questions. For now they have resumed structural loading as of Thursday.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2020, 3:11 PM
What could go wrong?

New Page

"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Nov 16, 2020, 7:56 PM

In some good news. Looks like they're getting closer to having the sidewalk on Main St re-opened sometime soon.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 2:15 AM

Can someone please explain what has been going on with the recent delays and reinforcements and is there a concern about the structural integrity of the building?

Thanks!

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 2:06 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLLB View Post
Can someone please explain what has been going on with the recent delays and reinforcements and is there a concern about the structural integrity of the building?

Thanks!
Unless someone from the inside can tell us and explain what's going on, we're in the same boat as you are.

There are one or two guys in here who are literally working on this project, or at least have sources related to the project.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 3:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
Unless someone from the inside can tell us and explain what's going on, we're in the same boat as you are.

There are one or two guys in here who are literally working on this project, or at least have sources related to the project.
Unfortunately the only info I have is either what I’ve seen and heard firsthand, and what comes in through the official email channels, the latter being extremely limited. Everything surrounding the seismic events has been kept extremely hush hush. When safety is asked about it, they literally say “they don’t know what you’re talking about”. It’s very shady and shrouded in mystery. After the latest event, the loading of the building was halted for 16 days or so, then abruptly began again, absolutely no explanation given. Seismic sensors have been set up all up the structure. Progress is gradually continuing.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 7:27 PM

Saw beams being hoisted up today so seems like it's moving again.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Saw beams being hoisted up today so seems like it's moving again.
hollowcore floor for the 30th floor was completed last night/this morning so its probably time for more steel

Old Posted Nov 19, 2020, 9:14 PM

Last I heard ETC is 2022?

Old Posted Nov 19, 2020, 10:02 PM

Seems about right.

The lower level exterior works seems to be coming along nicely. Although I haven't see what the graham side looks like in any detail for a while.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2020, 5:41 PM

Earls' possession date is still February 2021 last I heard.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 3:22 PM
What could go wrong?

Steel is up to 32 now.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 6:56 PM
What could go wrong?

Gives you a good idea of the height of office floors and residential floors. 360 Main is a 31 floor office building and the top of the steel on 300 Main is 32 floors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Gives you a good idea of the height of office floors and residential floors. 360 Main is a 31 floor office building and the top of the steel on 300 Main is 32 floors.
Why is that, anyway? Air quality concerns?

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalf View Post
Why is that, anyway? Air quality concerns?
There's a lot going on above the ceiling tiles in a commercial building, whereas an apartment block is your concrete ceiling is your upstairs neighbour's floor.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 8:39 PM

I'm assuming that the difference would be even more pronounced if 360 Main were a modern build as compared to a 40 year old tower... don't newer buildings have more ceiling room to provide clearance for IT and other building infrastructure, as well as just a general tenant preference for higher ceilings?

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 4:09 PM

Off the top of my head from 20 year old engineering classes I didn't pass:
By code, commercial buildings require more structural strength, so your floor/ceiling concrete+beams are just going to be thicker.
Then the code also calls for massively stronger HVAC, which I think is going to be the main reason for drops ceilings, which will contain the huge ducts.
Electrical and IT cable trays will take some space.
I can't remember if the higher ceilings between the floor and ceiling tile is require by code, or if that is a preference. But, more room, more HVAC power, bigger ducts, bigger mechanical space.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I'm assuming that the difference would be even more pronounced if 360 Main were a modern build as compared to a 40 year old tower... don't newer buildings have more ceiling room to provide clearance for IT and other building infrastructure, as well as just a general tenant preference for higher ceilings?
I could believe that

For example,
Looking at the TNS tower 1 office building, if it were even 10 floors taller, some scratch math and ratios would put it taller than 360 main at ~27 storeys vs 31 of 360 main, likely for the reasons you described

PS those latest live pics looks great

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 4:29 PM

Re. ceiling height... in an apt/condo where rooms are smaller, a given ceiling height (e.g., 9 ft) might look and feel just fine, but that same 9 ft ceiling in the larger rooms and open spaces of an office might look and feel very oppressive.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 3:49 PM

Core raised again. Looks about the same height as 360 main now

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan