HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 18, 2007, 8:32 PM

sorry guys for being a bit conveluted about this but i can't post on buffalo rising anymore for somereason so I'm posting this here (I would rather hear your opinion on this anyway and maybe one of you guys can post it or just explain why i can't post) But this is in response to the article on the bills

It's always fun to think about all the money that has been put into that team/stadium that could have been put into oh i don't know brown/gray field remediation, pre-permitting development sites, setting up regional business incubators, investing in our crumbling infrastructure, bringing cars back to main street, building a new peace bridge, developing the niagara falls airport into a cargo hub, building an intermodal cargo rail hub, redevelop the destroyed park system, etc, etc,etc. But no John Murphy has the right to yell at us in their radio ads "And if you weren't here to see it you SHOULD HAVE BEEN" Hey John, go on a diet, tell me which team has the longest current playoff draught and lost four super bowls and cost us millions of dollars but yea we "should have been" there thanks but no thanks.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2007, 8:07 AM
BuffaloBornAndRaised

Sullymon... Don't Ever Post something like that on here again! Save your whining for another post please. If it weren't for the Bills, Western New York would be nothing and half of our country wouldn't even know about the great city of Buffalo!

Old Posted Jun 19, 2007, 9:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMcCabe View Post
Sullymon... Don't Ever Post something like that on here again! Save your whining for another post please. If it weren't for the Bills, Western New York would be nothing and half of our country wouldn't even know about the great city of Buffalo!
Ralph Wilson did say yesterday, "They can't even build a bridge"!.....SORRY!

Old Posted Jun 19, 2007, 12:34 PM

last time i checked Sacramento, Austin, Los Angeles, Portland, San Jose, Salt Lake, Knoxville, Memphis, Raleigh, Richmond, Columbus and other cities of there ilk are getting along just dandy without a prestigious NFL football team. And I think you misinterpreted my point, I'm not anti bills, I go to at least three games a year. What I am saying is that I believe that the NFL can use there endorsements, revenues, and multi-billion dollar TV contracts to build there own damn stadiums. $100's of millions of dollars for a venue that is used 10 times a year doesn't make sense to me.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2007, 2:19 PM
try being in the Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastperspective View Post
They're given a pedestal by the newspaper. In raw numbers, it's a small group.

Historic properties are demolished daily with little said in NYC. The difference is NYC has been aggessive in designating landmarks and districts- where as in Buffalo it is reactionary.

Out this way it isn't preservationists, but environmentalists that fight development (usually with good cause).

The Bass Pro fight has nothing to do with preservation. The people fighting it might be preservationists but that fight is about ego only. Buffalo should kneel down and worship preservationists because they are the people who have given the city a chance at a future

Old Posted Jun 19, 2007, 2:24 PM
try being in the Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMcCabe View Post
Is there sarcasm attached to this statement? If not it is a pretty dopey thing to say.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2007, 2:29 PM
Go Pens!

I would say build a multi-functional dome/arena to be used all year round, but we already have a convention center (A shitty one, or at least in a bad location - which we should replace) and a hockey arena. Both of which hold our extra-curricular events/concerts/etc. Here in Pittsburgh, they've already build two EXPENSIVE stadiums and neglected the one place/team (Civic Arena) that would bring in $$$ throughout the year, not just during it's designated sports events. Also, their facility needed it most, I think. Finally they are building something to support these needs and the (newly saved) Penguins, whom are in need of a new facility.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2007, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullymon54 View Post
last time i checked Sacramento, Austin, Los Angeles, Portland, San Jose, Salt Lake, Knoxville, Memphis, Raleigh, Richmond, Columbus and other cities of there ilk are getting along just dandy without a prestigious NFL football team. And I think you misinterpreted my point, I'm not anti bills, I go to at least three games a year. What I am saying is that I believe that the NFL can use there endorsements, revenues, and multi-billion dollar TV contracts to build there own damn stadiums. $100's of millions of dollars for a venue that is used 10 times a year doesn't make sense to me.
So what are you saying Pal? Let The Bills go? Not an option. Don't even think about it. Only way that happens is when Ralph Wilson joins his ansestors, anda bunch of Conservative Republican "bottom~Liners" take over management of his assets. Hopefully, special provisions have been made for handling The Bills, but from the NEW's report last Sunday, it's sure dosen't sound like it. Anyway, if we're going to continue with this subject, another thread needs to be started.

Oh, and if anyone doubts Ralph Wilson is a di-hard Republican, check and see who gave the largest individual contribution to "W's" re-election campaign.
Or, who introduced Bush at the Republican National Convention? Or own JIM KELLY!

Old Posted Jun 19, 2007, 4:46 PM

Any company expanding in WNY, has to be good news.

Cap firm expands, adds clothing line
New Era throws its hat into the fashion ring

New Era Cap Co., the Buffalo-based maker of baseball caps, is in the midst of a five-year plan that calls for expanding the private company into a worldwide fashion brand.

The 87-year-old company that has helped catapult the baseball hat from major league fields to the world of urban music and fashion, plans to double in size and revenues by expanding more into Latin America and the Asia-Pacific region, building more company stores and debuting a line of clothing.

New Era just opened its third store, in London, to complement stores in Buffalo and New York City. Stores are planned for Atlanta and Toronto this summer and, later in the year, Los Angeles. More stores are planned, and the company just opened an office in Hong Kong.

“We think that the time is right to go out and launch a heritage sports offering,” said CEO Chris Koch, speaking on the phone last week as he headed to London to celebrate the store opening there. “Everyone feels they want to see clothes from New Era.”

The company has been raising its profile — locally and nationally — with its move to new headquarters on Delaware Avenue and with a series of television ads directed by Spike Lee featuring Major League Baseball players.

Behind the scenes, it has been carrying out its global expansion plans.

More than 10,000 chain stores and boutiques — such as Hat World/Lids, Foot Locker and SneakerVilla — in the United States, Europe, Japan and South America now carry New Era hats.

The company now sells about 34 million hats a year. Company officials are tightlipped about how much money New Era makes abroad, but the percentage of overall revenue from outside the United States is approaching 20 percent.

Currently, the domestic market is delivering a “mature” 10 percent growth rate, Koch said, while the growth internationally is closer to 20 percent.

As the company moves into other parts of the world, where baseball may not have the same allure, it hopes for help from its own brand of clothes. Salespeople from around the world have been visiting the company to see its new offerings.

New Era is making lettered jackets, track suits and shirts with cityscape silhouettes and argyle patterns, said Koch. The original launch of the clothing line was canceled last year when factory samples were deemed substandard.

Summer is the season when salespeople in the apparel trade sell to retail store clients so there will be new styles on the racks for the spring shopping season of February, March and April.

New Era says it’s ready, with five new factories under contract to make the clothes designed by some of the company’s 50 to 60 hat designers in Buffalo, California and England. Styles also have come from a new apparel unit, charged with coordinating it all, with seven staff members in an office near New York City.

“We’re keeping our finger on the pulse . . . We want to be closer to where it’s all happening,” said Christine Konyak- Parker, director of the apparel unit in Stanhope, N.J. “We are becoming a fashion icon with our head wear. . . . Our goal is to reach a broader market, just like the head wear.”

Clothes, including new gilded- style skateboard shoes, are a critical part of the global expansion, said Gerry Matos, senior vice president of marketing.

“In the United States we are very closely tied to Major League Baseball,” he said of New Era’s reputation. “Internationally, because baseball is less relevant, it is a lifestyles brand. Apparel may come easier to us in other markets. . . . I think the growth potential in those markets is very strong. . . . We certainly think that the apparel line will be broadly appealing around the globe.”

“It has become a very meaningful part of our business,” Matos continued, adding that international sales were only in the single digits four years ago. Now: “It is in double digits and growing significantly,” he said.

Lately, New Era’s business has been particularly good in Mexico and Latin America. “Over the last three years, we’ve pretty much doubled the business,” he said. “Next year again, we should probably experience very significant growth.”

The flexibility needed for global expansion has been seen earlier in the company’s history. Koch’s great-grandfather, Ehrhardt, started the company, making fedoras and “newsboy” hats. The company adapted when the felt hats went out of fashion. Koch’s grandfather, Harold, shifted to making baseball hats, which led to its 70- year association with Major League Baseball.

Earlier this month, 100 salespeople and managers came from North America, Hong Kong and London to preview the new clothing line along with the spring collection of hats.

The New Era sales team will work to get some of the company’s 3,000 retail store clients, which own some 10,000 stores, to order from the first lineup of options — shirts — intended for men 18 to 34 years old.

The shirts come in two general styles with fire-escape patterns, lime-green skyscraper silhouettes and fists showing “New Era” spelled out on knuckles.

For a more casual suburban, or “college,” look, there are plain, blue cotton pique and yellow striped polo shirts. A baseball jacket with “New Era” written in a script similar to the kind the New York Yankees use also is being sold.

Pricier track suits, hooded sweat shirts, with finer detail and better fabric — perhaps cashmere — will be added to the mix by fall.

Shoppers at New Era’s Buffalo store last week were focused on hats, not clothes.

From a small, early sampling of T-shirts that went on the New Era store racks in April, a pirate skull with a silver eye patch has been a top seller.

Shopper Luke Zinn, visiting his brother in Buffalo, said he had come in for a simple cap in moisture-wicking fabric, also new this spring, with the classic St. Louis Cardinals monogram. He couldn’t find them at home in St. Louis.

“Everywhere I went, they were out of them,” he said. “I do see they have shirts, but I’m not interested.”

Liz Giovino of Buffalo paused to look the shirts over while a friend shopped for caps. “I think it’s a good idea,” she said of the clothes. “Normally, you’ll get the hat and then you’ll have to go to the mall to get the shirt.”

mkearns@buffnews.com

Old Posted Jun 19, 2007, 5:41 PM

That sounds like great news, and you are right halovet any news of a wny company growing is good news.

And yes my comments are off topic that's why I prefaced my first comment with that and that's why I havn't resonded to the last few posts. But you seem to agree with me in your comment towards ralph, am I correct? And I don't see what him being a republican has to do with the fact that he's in this for the money and has made 2.4 mil% return on his investment and continues to ask for handouts from us. But I would be willing to talk to everyone about it in a different thread because for some reason my buffalo rising account is still not working.

Sorry guys still off topic, last post on this. And on a side note everyone cross their fingers for gates circle, that meeting is tomorrow right?

Old Posted Jun 19, 2007, 7:21 PM

Quote:
everyone cross their fingers for gates circle, that meeting is tomorrow right?
I’m praying that that project goes through. Its another one that would do wonders for the city itself and its image

Old Posted Jun 20, 2007, 12:24 AM

Rendering of the apartment/dorm project slated for the Alling and Cory warehouse on Elm at N. Division Street, just a couple blocks from ECC. 80 units:

Old Posted Jun 20, 2007, 1:33 AM

Who is proposing this again? It's not any part of Joel's plan is it? I really hope its not him or Carl, someone like Rocco would be nice, well anything privately funded would be nice.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2007, 1:54 AM

Quote:
Who is proposing this again? It's not any part of Joel's plan is it? I really hope its not him or Carl, someone like Rocco would be nice, well anything privately funded would be nice.

Giambra had proposed dorms, but this is a private development by Regent, based in E. Amherst. Units will be 2-4 bedrooms and priced from $950. They aren't affiliated with ECC in any way- but they've talked.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2007, 3:54 AM

^^^ whats the timeline on this guy?

Old Posted Jun 20, 2007, 4:42 AM

Want to start work this fall and open in Fall 2008.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2007, 3:44 AM

See next post!

Last edited by westcoastperspective; Jun 21, 2007 at 5:39 AM.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2007, 5:30 AM

The Larkin District – Unveiled

The article on the "Larkin District" on BRO can be found here. There is a slideshow with pics, and a podcast of the speech that Howard Zemsky gave. All I can say is they outdid themselves. Its a truly urban warehouse converted to mixed-use district. Reminds me of a smaller scale Pearl District in Portland, or the Distillery District in Toronto. Much smaller scale than both but very similar features. Here are the pics of the storyboards from the meeting:

Old Posted Jun 21, 2007, 2:01 PM

I Love It!

Old Posted Jun 21, 2007, 2:17 PM

I can only echo the words of Steve, this project is amazing. It is type of project that is PERFECT for buffalo. And I will admit that a couple of years ago I wouldn't have thought so until he opened my eyes when we were at Buff State. If all goes according to the plan it will create some much needed density built at a human scale, its not out of scale with the remnents of what's left over from the past. I love the historic branding as well, doing that combined with a full build out could create a draw for companies that are in the suburbs or even outside of erie county.

It's also nice to see someone finally get adventurous after they've had success with one project. I think that business model of concentrating development built around a central successful project, which of course made the others possible, is one that could create great change throughout the city.

On a side note, does that mill canal, for lack of a better word, still flow, is it used? Because if not and the flow is significant enough there are other places around the country that use just such a system to generate electricity... just a thought.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations