HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 27, 2019, 1:42 PM

The Bomber offense looked remarkably inept last night. I guess if nothing else it's good that they got a bit of a wakeup call early on in the season, when there's still time to correct things.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2019, 2:29 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
The Bomber offense looked remarkably inept last night. I guess if nothing else it's good that they got a bit of a wakeup call early on in the season, when there's still time to correct things.
Nothing clicked. Just one of those games. Wonder what the story is with Chris Matthews, though,

Old Posted Jul 27, 2019, 9:29 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Getting in Nichols' face all night was a big reason. Only sacked once, but he was under pressure often. Receivers covered well too, leaving Harris as his only option in too many situations.

The Ticats will need to continue to do that, and get great STs along the way (another factor last night) to stay in contention with Masoli now confirmed to be done for the season.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2019, 11:51 PM

I was at the game. Even taking the pressure and coverage into account, Nichols was not that sharp. Whitehead did not have a great game.

Hamilton has a fairly easy schedule over the next stretch. Time will tell if Evans can step into the starting role.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2019, 5:19 PM
arf

And Zach is back with the Argonauts.
Argos Acquire Zach Collaros

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Aug 1, 2019, 10:54 PM

Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 8:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Every potential owner follows the same story: they show interest but back out once they perform their due diligence. There has to be something seriously wrong with the Als' books.

At this point, give the team to Lapointe. He's been the only one to repeatedly say he wants to own the team despite the clear unspoken issues with them. I don't know what the CFL has against him, but they aren't really in the position to hold out on another potential owner unless he ends up being as big of a financial crook as that guy who tried to buy the Islanders in the 90s.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2019, 8:55 PM

Éric Lapointe clinging to his desire to purchase the Alouettes
Although the Lenkov brothers appear to have the inside track, former tailback wants to meet the commissioner and the CFL's board of governors.
Herb Zurkowsky Montreal Gazette July 22, 2019

Former Alouettes running-back Éric Lapointe hasn’t given up on his desire to purchase the Canadian Football League team — although he appears to be waging a losing battle against brothers Jeffrey and Peter Lenkov.

“We care. We have a plan,” Lapointe told the Montreal Gazette Monday about his group of investors. “I’ll continue my fight until the team’s sold. We have everything.”

Lapointe, a Brossard native and financial adviser with Assante Wealth Management, has been attempting to orchestrate a deal with the CFL and commissioner Randy Ambrosie since February, when Robert and Andrew Wetenhall first apprised the league of their intention to divest.

Much has occurred since then. At one point, a frustrated Lapointe withdrew his interest, only temporarily. He then agreed on June 20 to join Clifford Starke, another potential owner, as a strategic adviser, with an expanding role.

Otherwise, Lapointe and his group have never dropped out. He believes he’s been the victim of miscommunication and a lack of information, suggesting things between he and Ambrosie have been misconstrued. Lapointe’s still hoping to meet the commissioner and the league’s board of governors, the power brokers who ultimately make the decisions.

Lapointe has been told by at least one governor such a meeting should take place and that no decision has been made to sell the Als to the Lenkov brothers, although Ambrosie on Friday told TSN: “I think we’ll see it get done.”

No governors meeting has been scheduled and, on Monday, Ambrosie told the Montreal Gazette he was willing to meet Lapointe. “I’ll always make time to speak to Éric,” Ambrosie said in a text message. “He’s a world-class person and will always be part of the CFL family.”

No board of governors meeting has been scheduled, Ambrosie said, and none will be until all the details are finalized. Indeed, the commissioner placed a call to Lapointe late Monday afternoon.

Lapointe, 44, completed his CFL career with the Als between 2001-06, after being drafted by Edmonton. He also played for Hamilton and Toronto. He has served as president of the Als’ alumni, and is known for his intensity and passion. Nobody arguably has a better understanding of the local football landscape than him.

He said his group of investors was unlimited, along with their financial resources. At one point he offered a $35-million commitment in an effort to display their proof of funds. He promised a three-year commitment and even was willing to expand that to five years. He guaranteed the league they could turn a profit by the third season, simply by averaging 18,000 spectators at Molson Stadium while selling the 21 private loges, each with a three-year contract.

Lapointe had a coaching staff, general manager — believed to be Danny Maciocia — and president ready to commit. Lapointe created a buzz around the team in April, a time when nobody thinks about football.

Under Lapointe, the Als would have had a permanent South Shore practice facility, probably located near the Bell Sports Complex where the Canadiens train. He also had plans to go across the province, offering 5,000 shares in the team to anyone interested. And Lapointe was prepared to assume control of the team this season. Through the first two months of the regular schedule, the league has been operating the club, playing the players’ and management salaries along with its bills.

“We had everything, with no financial limits to access money,” Lapointe said.

But, as he continued to meet obstacles and encounter delays throughout the lengthy process, the opinionated and candid former player grew frustrated and allowed his emotions to surface at times. Lapointe believes he has upset Ambrosie and some league officials by speaking his mind.

Lapointe said he initially heard from Jeffrey Lenkov on April 20. While Lenkov wanted to set up a meeting, Lapointe said the request was for him to travel to Edmonton, where the brothers would be attending the Als’ opening game in mid-June. Lapointe refused.

While a published report on Saturday indicated Lapointe was bitter and frustrated, he quickly quashed that suggestion.

“I never said (the Lenkovs) don’t have a plan. I said they never mentioned their plan to anyone,” Lapointe said. “There’s no hate or frustration on my part. But this also is my last shot.

“I hope I didn’t burn bridges again with the league. It’s not about me. It’s about the team, the league. If there’s no league, there’s no Montreal Alouettes. They’re winning right now. That’s the most important thing.”

While the brothers were born in Chomedey, both now reside and work in California. Jeffrey Lenkov is a Los Angeles attorney and registered NHL agent, while Peter Lenkov is a Hollywood-based producer and writer.

They attended Saturday’s home victory against the Eskimos where they were joined by, among others, Robert Hetu, the managing director of U.S. Private Debt at the Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec’s New York City office.

The Als have a bye in the schedule before entertaining Ottawa on Aug. 2. Jeffrey Lenkov said he might return to Montreal next week, probably in conjunction with that game.

“I might be out,” Lapointe said. “But if we’re out, we’re going to be out in style.”

Old Posted Aug 3, 2019, 8:57 PM

This is a good listen (sale could be months away)

Naylor: Lenkovs are not out of the Als' picture
Montreal 690 Aug 2, 2019

TSN CFL insider Dave Naylor joined Mitch Gallo to talk about the latest rumours surrounding the potential sale of the Alouettes.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2019, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
This is a good listen (sale could be months away)

Naylor: Lenkovs are not out of the Als' picture
Montreal 690 Aug 2, 2019

TSN CFL insider Dave Naylor joined Mitch Gallo to talk about the latest rumours surrounding the potential sale of the Alouettes.
The Lenkov brothers seem like Bruce McNall or the Gliebermans they want a toy like a sports team to ease their mid life crisis but don't have the money and legit plan to run a sports team properly. Why couldn't Ambrosie sell the team to Starke and Lapointe who had an actual plan, local business connections and $35 million war chest to rebuild the team.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 1:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
The Lenkov brothers seem like Bruce McNall or the Gliebermans they want a toy like a sports team to ease their mid life crisis but don't have the money and legit plan to run a sports team properly. Why couldn't Ambrosie sell the team to Starke and Lapointe who had an actual plan, local business connections and $35 million war chest to rebuild the team.
The Lenkovs have the money and Lapointe himself stated that he didn't say they didn't have a plan, they just didn't talk about it.

Lapointe had his own group before Starke and likely still does. All this says, at the moment, is that the Lenkov's exclusive window for negotiating is over, doesn't mean they nor Lapointe are finished.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 7:32 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Stamps in another nail biter. My hair will be totally white by the end of the year.
Anyway - on to the Peg for a first place showdown.
Crurious to see if Arbuckle can keep winning.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
Stamps in another nail biter. My hair will be totally white by the end of the year. Anyway - on to the Peg for a first place showdown. Curious to see if Arbuckle can keep winning.
At the beginning of the season Arbuckle tweeted? something about the CBA negotiations, IIRC. I derisively posted "who's Nick Arbuckle", I guess we're finding out. The Stamps QB factory keeps moving along.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 4:36 AM

The CFL is really heating up. SUPERB game in Winnipeg last night. Very entertaining games last weekend too!

I'm wondering what's happened with the "ref cam"? It was a great feature of the TSN broadcasts but I haven't seen it for awhile.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 1:06 PM

Winnipeg has two great returners in Whitehead and Grant. Kind of like a plug and play thing and you'll get a return from one of them.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 11:30 PM

Riders at Montreal

Wow Moncrief just crushed Pipkin! That’s the biggest clean hit on a QB I’ve seen this year.

‘I believe in science’ is a statement generally made by people who don’t understand much about it. - Judith Curry, Professor Emeritus GIT

Old Posted Aug 18, 2019, 11:24 AM

What a fantastic game in Calgary last night! Love seeing the big smiles wiped off the Stamps faces.

Never leave a CFL game with 2 minutes left!

Old Posted Aug 18, 2019, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
What a fantastic game in Calgary last night! Love seeing the big smiles wiped off the Stamps faces. Never leave a CFL game with 2 minutes left!
It's great to see the Als overcome adversity. One thing that doesn't seem to get mentioned is that while most teams have a pretty good QB and then a backup, the Als had guys with potential but not much experience. Because of inopportune injuries to each of these Als QBs, they seemed to have developed two pretty good QBs, a real luxury in the CFL.

For those who missed the game (like me) you can watch it here

Jones on Als’ Comeback: ‘I saw people leaving the stands’
Insight and Analysis cfl.ca August 18, 2019

One for the Ages: Als stun Stamps in overtime thriller
cfl.ca staff August 17 2019

Last edited by elly63; Aug 18, 2019 at 12:26 PM.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2019, 4:35 PM

Just watched the final quarter and OT of the game. All sorts of interesting plays and calls. Ball hitting crossbar, Calgary going for it on 3rd and two (thankfully Suits explained why). One thing though, Adams better start finding some other receivers going forward. Nothing egregious but the Als benefited from the calls especially the final play, that was close. Seemed like their were a couple of things that I had never seen before: the third and two and the final play (one foot in, one foot out, at near the same time)

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 7:38 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

As hard as that game was for a Stamps fan - I am happy for the Als.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada