HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted May 12, 2018, 5:20 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post

https://imgflip.com/memetemplate/813...stick-on-a-pig

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 13, 2018, 1:34 AM
World Machine

The structure itself is fine … just requires some updating, though nothing that over the top. Something along the lines of what's being partially installed on 375 Pearl would do the trick.

Old Posted May 13, 2018, 2:50 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Maybe its just me, but I think any sort of redevelopment of 2 Penn should somewhat have a classy tone to it. A more dialed down, conservative aesthetics to it. I think Ingel's design is to foreign for the area. It just looks bad. I'd be happy with a similar style to Manhattan West. Maybe a different facade, but nothing that just pops out. Again, conservative. Almost like a 7 or 4 WTC. Minimalism could work!

They just have to revamp the toilet bowl or get rid of it and build a more modern, worthy arena for the city.

Old Posted May 19, 2018, 8:29 AM
BANNED

I really hate this tower. I'm usually a fan of BIG due to them having some balls to push forward into unusual designs, but this one is just downright juvenile and the renovation looks awful and I hope it doesn't happen.

Old Posted May 20, 2018, 4:21 AM
Crane Goddess

^I like the base, but the crown sucks.
"Prayers are fleeting and wars are forgotten, but what is built endures"
-Ambassador DeLenn, Babylon 5

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 7:37 PM
New Yorker for life

I really wish they would just take this one down...

A look at what's going on with 1 Penn...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 7:42 PM
Show me the blueprints

Well at least they've trashed that ridiculous pleated skirt idea for 2 Penn, but the best remedy is a wrecking ball.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 12:09 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

What a wasted opportunity with 2 Penn. It would be nice, besides an overhaul, an extension built a top of it. Think 270 Park style.

Hell, even if they demo'd it, and built a whole new tower. A vertical extension and complete facade overwork/conversion of existing property would be ideal.

This district should have way more density and lease-able space. There is the future Penn District down the line to look forward too, which hopefully revamps the whole area into a HY type district, but as of now, the area is underutilized (offices/functionality).

Penn Station is a different story. OVERutlized. An Alpha++ city, and one of its busiest stations continues to see the circle jerk of bureaucracy holding its expansion. A sacrilege if you ask me (anybody who's been to Penn in the last year will confess this).

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 2:49 AM
New Yorker for life

Vornado just doesn't have the imagination for this one.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 6:35 AM
Crane Goddess

So is all of One Penn getting a reclad or just the base getting an overhaul? I should see about getting a piece of the lobby stone for myself.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 4:42 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanita View Post
So is all of One Penn getting a reclad or just the base getting an overhaul? I should see about getting a piece of the lobby stone for myself.
Supposed to be all of it.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 10:21 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I think next cycle is appropriate for all of this along with the Penn Station District. Early 2020's. At least until the current supply coming online in the next two years is snatched up.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 3:32 AM
New Yorker for life

This is all supposedly beginning in this or the coming year.

https://commercialobserver.com/2018/...n-real-estate/

Quote:
Vornado’s plans for 1 Penn, while yet to commence, have come more clearly into focus recently. The company intends to start work on renovating the imposing 1972 skyscraper—which will be rebranded as Penn 1—in the second half of this year, and plans to spend around $200 million on the project, per its investor presentations. The work is expected to yield upgraded lobby entrances and new tenant amenity spaces and elevators, as well as improvements to the surrounding retail storefronts and public plazas and a renovated entrance for the building’s underground connection to Penn Station.

Compared to average in-place office rents of $64 per square foot, Vornado hopes to command average rents of $84 per square foot upon redeveloping 1 Penn Plaza

https://commercialobserver.com/2018/...-rebuild-roth/

Quote:
Vornado Realty Trust will likely go with “Plan B” at its 2 Penn Plaza office tower, opting for a widespread renovation of the aging building instead of razing and redeveloping the property, Chairman and CEO Steven Roth said on the company’s first-quarter earnings call today.

....the company set to move ahead with its original idea of “skinning” the 1968 building and putting up a “floor-to-ceiling glass” facade, as well as upgrading its interiors and mechanical systems.

Roth said that strategy would also add “the better part of 300,000 square feet” of new space to the building, via a “donut”-like addition that would bolster floorplates on the building’s lower floors.

The REIT is finally kicking off an expansive $200 million renovation of the 57-story, 2.5-million-square-foot 1 Penn Plaza later this year, which seeks to boost in-place office rents at the property to the mid-$80s per square foot from the current mid-$60s per square foot.

Roth said that Vornado’s idea of razing and rebuilding 2 Penn Plaza would have enabled a plan similar to the failed Madison Square Garden relocation, making possible a Penn Station overhaul that would “daylight the train station.” But the prospective costs of the redevelopment would require a public sector-assisted “financing scheme” that Roth said does not appear forthcoming.

How nice is it that the squat and disturbing 2 Penn Plaza will be made even more obtrusive to the surrounding area? Knock it down!

https://www.cityrealty.com/nyc/marke...redesign/23442

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 7:06 AM
Crane Goddess

I didn't see anything in all of that about totally recladding One Penn..

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 1:25 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanita View Post
I didn't see anything in all of that about totally recladding One Penn..

https://nypost.com/2018/04/23/youll-...ce-towers/amp/

Quote:
Sources say Vornado Realty Trust’s 2.52 million-square-foot monster One Penn Plaza, bounded by West 33rd and 34th streets between Seventh and Eighth avenues, is converting an entire 85,000-square-foot floor to house a cafeteria and other spaces earmarked for amenities. The building is also getting a new lobby in a major facelift and will be rebranded PENN 1.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 11:27 PM
Crane Goddess

So a new lobby and an amenity floor. That doesn't mean that they're going to replace the entire exterior facade of the building.
Edit- I talked to somebody who works there (I've befriended several building staffers over the years) and they don't think One Penn's whole facade is going. The lobby is going to be greatly expanded, new elevators, basically everything at ground level is getting an overhaul. But they are pretty sure the facade above that point is staying put.

Last edited by Amanita; Oct 6, 2018 at 3:17 AM.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 1:56 AM
New Yorker for life

Looks like this horrible thing is moving forward...

https://therealdeal.com/2018/10/30/v...ore-years-end/

Vornado to start first phase of Penn Plaza redevelopment before year’s end
REIT plans 140K sf addition to Two Penn

By Rich Bockmann
October 30, 2018

Quote:
Vornado Realty Trust plans will soon kick off the first phase of its “megacampus” redevelopment at Pennsylvania Plaza.

The real estate investment trust expects to start work before the end of the year on the $200 million renovation of One Penn Plaza, Vornado CEO Steve Roth said on the company’s third-quarter earnings call Tuesday morning.

The plan includes a new double-height lobby for the 2.5 million-square-foot building, and is projected to take two years to complete. And Vornado is already moving tenants into One Penn Plaza from nearby Two Penn Plaza, where the landlord plans to replace the building’s entire curtain wall when McGraw Hill’s lease expires in 2020.
Quote:
Roth said the company will vacate the building’s lower 10 floors, and Vornado plans to construct an addition that sits 45 feet above the street level and sticks out 70 feet from the building.

“It will serve a dual purpose. It will be striking, creating a huge covered plaza in front of our Penn Two and the main entrance to Penn Station, and bring the neighborhood into the modern age,” he said. “And at the same time, it will create 140,000 square feet of very valuable, new 22-foot high best in class creative space.”

Vornado expects the Two Penn overhaul to take 24 to 30 months. As part of its plan to combine the two buildings into a 4.4 million-square-foot campus, Vornado will create a three-block plaza along Seventh Avenue.

Quote:
Meanwhile, Gov. Andrew Cuomo last month announced plans to build a new entrance to Penn Station on 33rd Street, in between Vornado’s two buildings.

Vornado in 2016 released renderings by architect Bjarke Ingels for Two Penn Plaza. Roth said the REIT will release new renderings on its website on Wednesday, though an investor presentation from last month gave an early look at what the design might include.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 2:20 AM

So I'm guessing they're gonna have to close the Pennsy Food Hall as well

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 2:21 AM

Ugh. What a shame.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 2:32 AM
DENNAB

What's so bad about this?

Last edited by Zapatan; Oct 31, 2018 at 2:58 AM. Reason: Typo

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction