HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Aug 28, 2013, 3:53 PM

My first instinct was like bigguy: McHattie is too left-wing to draw wide support from the mountain and rural areas. Remember that Eisenberger had some great policy idea's but lacked the klout to make things happen on council.
The Spec article gives me some hope that McHattie might be an effective mayor, something we have lacked for some time. Serving two terms as a councillor gives him experience and pedigree.
Perhaps his time has come.
Really like Chamberlain too, but he may have the same issue as Eisenberger.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2013, 6:07 PM

With rare exceptions (such as his complimentary take on McHattie's participatory budgeting initiative), Andrew Dreschel has made the Ward 1 councillor a perennial punching bag (special attention perhaps attributable to the fact that the pundit is one of McHattie's constituents). Just as late-night hosts root for a candidate that provides them with rich monologue fodder, on some level Dreschel's column is the lead-up to some lacerating assessments. That has to figure into McHattie's math too.

Last edited by thistleclub; Aug 29, 2013 at 2:02 AM.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2013, 7:21 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistleclub View Post
With rare exceptions (such as his complimentary take on McHattie's participatory budgeting initiative), Andrew Dreschel has made the Ward 1 councillor a perennial punching bag (special attention perhaps attributable to the fact that the pundit is one of McHattie's constituents). Just as late-night hosts root for a candidate that provides them with rich monologue fodder, on some level Dreschel's column is the lead-up to some lacerating assessments. That has to figure into McHattie's math too.
If Whitehead runs too, he would combine with McHattie and Bratina to give Dreschel a trifecta of column material.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2013, 11:50 PM
It's Hammer Time

It appears McHattie announced he's running for Mayor.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2013, 2:36 AM
It's Hammer Time

Old Posted Oct 1, 2013, 5:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
It appears McHattie announced he's running for Mayor.
Wonderful news! He's got my vote.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2013, 4:56 PM
It's Hammer Time

Bratina eyes second term, Ferguson not revealing plans

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilt...lans-1.1874715

No one around the council table is reacting to Councillor Brian McHattie's early entry into the Hamilton mayor's race with announcements of their own.

Neither Mayor Bob Bratina nor Ancaster councillor Lloyd Ferguson, whose name is often mentioned as a likely challenger, were ready to state their intentions the day after McHattie's anouncement. But both were keeping the door wide open.

Bratina says he has “no reason not to” run in next year’s municipal election, but he’s not making any formal announcements until the new year.

Bratina, who has been the city’s mayor since 2010, says he’ll formally declare his intentions when nominations open on Jan. 1.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2013, 7:52 PM
It's Hammer Time

Fred Eisenberger plans comeback attempt

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/41...eback-attempt/

Former mayor Fred Eisenberger will run for mayor of Hamilton next year.

"Barring the unforeseen … I'm going to be candidate in 2014," Eisenberger said in a telephone interview today.

Eisenberger was previously mayor from 2006 to 2010. He was defeated by Bob Bratina in his 2010 re-election bid and came in third behind second place finisher Larry Di Ianni.

Eisenberger, 61, has been mulling over a comeback attempt for months.

His commitment to run comes on the heels of Ward 1 Councillor Brian McHattie's decision to seek the mayor's chair.

They'll both face off against Bratina

Eisenberger recently met with McHattie to discuss their mutual plans.

He says McHattie indicated that if they're both in the race, they may end up splitting the vote.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2013, 11:06 PM

There may be a lot of votes split between Eisenberger and McHattie. Yeah, why wouldn't Bratina try again...

Old Posted Oct 2, 2013, 3:24 PM
Concerned Citizen

McHattie doesn't have a chance and if you don't believe me just refer to the recent article on installing bike lanes along Main W. This will be used against him. He will be portrayed as car hating bike lane supporter and that will be the end of his chance to get elected. Suburban voters decide who the mayor will be and they will not support anything that they think will imprede their travel into and through this city. That one issue alone will be McHattie's downfall.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2013, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguy1231 View Post
McHattie doesn't have a chance and if you don't believe me...
Don’t worry, we believe you. But I really hope that we don’t have an election during which any significant amount of time is given to arguing about bike lanes. The City is a billion dollars in debt, that’s the main issue that should be galvanizing both urban and suburban voters alike.

Is there a place to find voting results by poll? I’d be really curious about how monolithic “suburban voters” are. I think there’s room for an anti-sprawl candidate (not McHattie, but someone) who has other policies that speak to young families (as suburbanites more likely are) or other consistuencies, to take a lot of the vote.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2013, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguy1231 View Post
McHattie doesn't have a chance and if you don't believe me just refer to the recent article on installing bike lanes along Main W. This will be used against him. He will be portrayed as car hating bike lane supporter and that will be the end of his chance to get elected. Suburban voters decide who the mayor will be and they will not support anything that they think will imprede their travel into and through this city. That one issue alone will be McHattie's downfall.
In other words: suburban voters are selfish NIMBY's.

God forbid we elect a progressive mayor.

Can't wait for 4 years of Mayor Ferguson.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2013, 6:19 PM

I'm sure DiIanni will come back and they will all split the votes. That guy can't seem to quit and I'm sure he couldn't stand the thought of Eisenberger coasting to victory.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2013, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillStreetBlues View Post
Is there a place to find voting results by poll? I’d be really curious about how monolithic “suburban voters” are.
The City has Poll-By-Poll Results for the 2010 Municipal Election as well as the 2006 and 2003 contests.

Cards Cast, 2010

Lower City (01-05) 42,687
Mountain (06-08) 43,498
Suburbs (09-15) 56,747

And as CATCH has noted, some animals are more equal than others.

Registered Voters, 2010 vs. 2003

Ward 01 -4,580 (-18.07%)
Ward 02 -7,154 (-26.92%)
Ward 03 -5,553 (-19.00%)
Ward 04 -3,293 (-12.19%)
Ward 05 -2,790 (-9.77%)

Lower City -23,370 (-17.09%)
Ward 06 -1,512 (-5.08%)
Ward 07 -178 (-0.44%)
Ward 08 -348 (-0.11%)

Mountain -2,038 (-1.94%)
Ward 09 +621 (+3.33%)
Ward 10 -448 (-2.26%)
Ward 11 +6,573 (+36.35%)
Ward 12 +3,525 (+16.85%)
Ward 13 -196 (-1.05%)
Ward 14 -372 (-2.97%)
Ward 15 +542 (+3.00%)

Suburbs +10,425 (+8.23%)

Last edited by thistleclub; Oct 3, 2013 at 9:06 PM.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2013, 7:07 PM

Thanks, thistleclub! I didn’t want to ask you specifically, but suspected that you would be the one to find it. These data are cool.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2013, 10:12 PM
Ham-burgher

Bratina has options for his campaign strategy. He could choose Join Me in the Twenty-Minute City, or Hamilton: a City on the GO, or go back to the tried and true with Platform Shmatform 2014

If voters keep strong memories of things like Peggygate and the council censure, his alleged bullying of the city manager during the LRT debate (which will come up again when the integrity commissioner gets around to reporting his investigation), the police board issues, and his most recent embarrassment over how he handled the Mesic shooting, then vote splitting may not be a problem.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2013, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Bratina has options for his campaign strategy. He could choose Join Me in the Twenty-Minute City, or Hamilton: a City on the GO, or go back to the tried and true with Platform Shmatform 2014

If voters keep strong memories of things like Peggygate and the council censure, his alleged bullying of the city manager during the LRT debate (which will come up again when the integrity commissioner gets around to reporting his investigation), the police board issues, and his most recent embarrassment over how he handled the Mesic shooting, then vote splitting may not be a problem.
The only voters with strong feelings against Bratina are those who didn't vote for him in 2010. His base of support hasn't changed significantly. Those who would vote against him will split their vote between McHattie and Eisenberger in a similar fashion as was the case between DiIanni and Eisenberger in 2010. Which is exactly why Eisenberger had a private discussion with McHattie about his mayoral intentions last week. I would be surprised to see both of them remaining on the ballot next year if there truly is a strong anti-Bratina movement building in the city.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2013, 11:13 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbarbera View Post
The only voters with strong feelings against Bratina are those who didn't vote for him in 2010. His base of support hasn't changed significantly. Those who would vote against him will split their vote between McHattie and Eisenberger in a similar fashion as was the case between DiIanni and Eisenberger in 2010. Which is exactly why Eisenberger had a private discussion with McHattie about his mayoral intentions last week. I would be surprised to see both of them remaining on the ballot next year if there truly is a strong anti-Bratina movement building in the city.
I considered qualifying my point with "maybe that's too big an IF" but I'm not feeling that disenchanted today.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2013, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbarbera View Post
I would say the Flamborough voters who voted for Bratina in the belief that he would actually do something about deamalgamation probably won't be voting for him again.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2013, 8:15 AM
Concerned Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcoote View Post
In other words: suburban voters are selfish NIMBY's.

God forbid we elect a progressive mayor.

Can't wait for 4 years of Mayor Ferguson.
All voters to one extent or another look out for their own interests. Most are happy with their local councilor as long as they take care of the basics and most councilors are very good at doing that. Thats why they get re elected over and over again. Municipal politics is pretty basic. See to it that roads are plowed and garbage is picked up and all will be good.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy