HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Apr 10, 2022, 3:47 AM
REAL Kiwi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
Do you live in the villages now?
No, but I imagine it’s very much like others throughout sunbelt states.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2022, 5:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO View Post
Do you have a source for that? Is it in their by laws? Sounds definitive!?
Do we have Filipinos on the forum? I’m totally fine with anyone but just curious…or do you have a problem?
Maybe I have you confused with someone else, but didn't you tell us a few times in the past that you immigrated from the Philippines? Maybe it was someone else?

But regarding source, as I mentioned in my posts, I've been to The Villages 8 times, and know all about the bigotry there.

Also, didn't you work here in Texas in the past? Again, I may be thinking of someone else, but I recall clashing on some environmental regulatory issues here in the forum years ago with whoever I'm thinking of. I'm pretty sure I was once in a meeting with the person (the person I thought was you).

Last edited by AviationGuy; Apr 10, 2022 at 5:50 AM.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2022, 5:50 AM

It's interesting that person(s) who haven't been to The Villages keep challenging those of us who have, and those of us who know what that place is about.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2022, 6:36 AM
REAL Kiwi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviationGuy View Post
Maybe I have you confused with someone else, but didn't you tell us a few times in the past that you immigrated from the Philippines? Maybe it was someone else?

But regarding source, as I mentioned in my posts, I've been to The Villages 8 times, and know all about the bigotry there.

Also, didn't you work here in Texas in the past? Again, I may be thinking of someone else, but I recall clashing on some environmental regulatory issues here in the forum years ago with whoever I'm thinking of. I'm pretty sure I was once in a meeting with the person (the person I thought was you).
Nope not from Philippines. I’ve lived in Ft Worth in two stints between stays in CA.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2022, 3:39 PM

Quote:
No, but I imagine it’s very much like others throughout sunbelt states.
So you don't know how the people are. You're just guessing because....

Aviation guys experience lines up with what I've heard on social media. Saying everyone there Is a happy golfer is just absurd. It has a bad reputation for a reason.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2022, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Nope not from Philippines. I’ve lived in Ft Worth in two stints between stays in CA.
Yes, I got the Texas part correct. We had discussions on Fort Worth years ago. I really thought you had told us that you're a minority.

In any case, discrimination against minorities is not written into any bylaws in The Villages, but that hasn't stopped residents from their bigotry. No different than many places in this country, although bigotry there is more concentrated than most places, for obvious reasons.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2022, 4:14 PM

It's also a center of qanon, or what's left of it.
Lmao

Old Posted Apr 10, 2022, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Yes, I got the Texas part correct. We had discussions on Fort Worth years ago. I really thought you had told us that you're a minority.

In any case, discrimination against minorities is not written into any bylaws in The Villages, but that hasn't stopped residents from their bigotry. No different than many places in this country, although bigotry there is more concentrated than most places, for obvious reasons.
I remember he said that as well.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2022, 7:48 PM
REAL Kiwi!

Quote:
So you don't know how the people are. You're just guessing because....

Aviation guys experience lines up with what I've heard on social media. Saying everyone there Is a happy golfer is just absurd. It has a bad reputation for a reason.
That’s what’s wrong with people. You do the same thing you’re accusing others of. Aviationguys always got a story to tell, a friend or someone he ran into who said something….

Old Posted Apr 10, 2022, 10:18 PM

Quote:
That’s what’s wrong with people. You do the same thing you’re accusing others of. Aviationguys always got a story to tell, a friend or someone he ran into who said something….
You're doing the same thing. You're telling people not to be afraid, yet your side is always afraid.

You haven't seen it for yourself. How would you know? I haven't either been to the villages, and I've said that from the jump. But you keep pretending you have.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2022, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Aviation guy has actually been. It's not hersay.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2022, 11:12 PM

The Fake News plaques should totally be illegal, but the architecture is mostly nice--whoever did this would be qualified to design infill in historic neighborhoods.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2022, 1:24 AM

Quote:
Maybe you should try telling us real life experiences like I have. You're good at towing the party line and Fox talking points, but that's about it.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2022, 1:41 AM

Quote:
I remember he said that as well.
Really thought he said Filipino several years ago. Not that it matters. My point is that people move to The Villages to get away from minorities. There are exceptions.

I do think the Villagers I've met are happy. There's very little stress, except for things like losing sleep because their neighbor's grass is an inch too high (really). But they're with people of their own kind through their own choice (white, right wing Republican, and Christian). And they have the financial resources to do this. It is what it is.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2022, 2:02 AM

Quote:
Really thought he said Filipino several years ago. Not that it matters. My point is that people move to The Villages to get away from minorities. There are exceptions.

I do think the Villagers I've met are happy. There's very little stress, except for things like losing sleep because their neighbor's grass is an inch too high (really). But they're with people of their own kind through their own choice (white, right wing Republican, and Christian). And they have the financial resources to do this. It is what it is.

Sure, but in my mind, I wouldn't call people who dislike other races "happy".
Happy people in general like most people.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2022, 2:20 AM
REAL Kiwi!

Quote:

Sure, but in my mind, I wouldn't call people who dislike other races "happy".
Happy people in general like most people.
We don’t see that much in today’s divisive environment. My point in the beginning was that’s what I’ve seen from this OP time and again, this was just another example.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2022, 2:28 AM
REAL Kiwi!

Quote:

And that’s ok. I would still imagine the majority are good people.
Everyone has to find their own happiness. If Muslims families or Jewish families or black families, Latinos want to live closer to their own people or cultures is that something to be suspicious of? It would be better if we treat people as individuals not as their group identity.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2022, 4:39 AM

Quote:
And that’s ok. I would still imagine the majority are good people.
Everyone has to find their own happiness. If Muslims families or Jewish families or black families, Latinos want to live closer to their own people or cultures is that something to be suspicious of? It would be better if we treat people as individuals not as their group identity.
I think if people want to live together in groups, that's just the way it is in many cases. But in such places as where I live, and more so in extremely diverse places like some parts of Houston and of course Sugar Land, people enjoy being with other cultures and seek it out. The difference with places like The Villages is that these people seek to live in "their own" group because they hate other cultures. That's a really big difference. They may be happy in their own way, but it's a sad statement on their integrity, and in my opinion, their value to humanity.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2022, 7:07 PM

The faux-historic is excessive, like an alternate reality or universe, but still nice to see a lively place that people walk around in instead of driving around in. Certainly better than what is surrounding it, based on Street View. Good to see developers at least try something different and take risks and not stay so much in the comfort zone. As others have noted, faux-historic is a major ingredient of New Urbanism too, but I guess there is a difference between being inspired by history and making up a fake history.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2022, 1:11 AM

"I could go on, because I have exactly nothing nice to say about The Villages. However, I was raised with the adage that if you can't say anything nice, say nothing at all and so to sum up my thoughts on The Villages I'll just go with... . Just... ."

You are not respecting 'how you were raised.'

But 'go on' and do otherwise.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos