HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jan 7, 2022, 3:53 AM
Hong Kong

151. Many public housing estates line along Kowloon East's hillsides. Interestingly, a good number of them command harbour views and these uphill streets are quiet and more serene. The downside is access as residents need to take multiple elevators or escalators from estate to estate or connect via bus or minibus down to the MTR stations.

More photos on my website : Drone Above HK Gallery

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 3:01 AM
Hong Kong

161. Kowloon East has seen more smaller-scale redevelopments as it transforms from an industrial area to an alternate business district with cheap rents. Some multinational firms have moved here already, but the district is still far from shedding its grittier past. This is nowhere Central 2.0 yet.

More photos on my website : https://www.globalphotos.org/hk-droneflight.htm

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 5:05 PM
Hong Kong

169. For a change in pace, let's head to the distant suburbs to see how villagers enjoy a less congested lifestyle. San Tin is home to an elaborate residence from the Qing Dynasty. Tai Fu Tai was built in 1865 for the Man family, who originated in Sichuan and migrated south during the Song Dynasty in the 12th-13th centuries, reaching San Tin in the 15th. The grand home is now surrounded by a lowrise residential community within a short drive from the Shenzhen border crossing.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2022, 12:33 PM
Hong Kong

179. The quest for more land to build public housing has reached the extreme north. The irony is the land above train stations are oftentimes reserved for private housing catering to the rich who can afford taking the taxi or drive. The poor now have to transfer after the train to get home.

Queen's Hill is a newly-built area in the middle of nowhere. Before highrises arrived in this corner, this was a sleepy area of farms, village houses, and an army outpost.

Beyond the hills is Shenzhen's skyline.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2022, 3:49 PM
aka GM on SSC

Fascinating views of Hong Kong !
It makes me want to visit again (soon hopefully).
Thanks !

Old Posted Mar 3, 2022, 4:14 AM
Hong Kong

188. Hebe Haven is famous for its yacht club in protected waters. Boaters exit through Sam Sing Wan to reach Sai Kung's remote islands. Owning a boat in Hong Kong isn't as expensive as you may think. Second-hand yachts are relatively cheap, although finding a space in the marina would cost a lot every month, and you might not be able to get a membership that readily either.

190. Ma Lam Wat is a small village with a few fish farm platforms just offshore.

196. Trio Beach is secluded and quiet, although it has proper facilities and even a shark net. On land, it is only accessible by hiking trail.

198. The rocky Pak Ma Tsui is located at the mouth of Sam Sing Wan, where you will see yachts pass by.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 3:26 AM
Hong Kong

203. Western District is one of the earliest development areas of Hong Kong. Here, the British landed and took possession of Hong Kong Island as their new colony. The extreme tip at Kennedy Town still has vibrant old streets with ground-level retail mixed with new redevelopments.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 4:02 PM
Hong Kong

215. The southern part of Lantau is mostly countryside with a sprinkle of towns. Many hiking trails of various difficulties traverse the area so you can enjoy the views from either high up or down along the coast.

Completed in 1963, Shek Pik Reservoir has a capacity of 25 million cubic metres with Lantau's tallest peak rising behind it.

There is virtually no development along this stretch between Shek Pik and Tong Fuk.

Shui Hau, Tong Fuk, and Cheung Sha are several villages along the coast with beaches and small shops.

More photos on my website : https://www.globalphotos.org/hk-drone48.htm

Old Posted Apr 11, 2022, 2:35 AM
Hong Kong

230. Kowloon Reservoir was the first reservoir in the New Territories. Completed in 1910, 3 more reservoirs were built nearby in subsequent years, providing almost 3 million cubic metres of water storage for the city.

241. To the west is Shek Lei Pui Reservoir, which was completed in 1925 and can hold 0.21 million cubic metres of water.

244. Meanwhile, the city is not too far behind. Several bus routes come near these reservoirs, and it is only a short 10 minute walk from the Shek Lei Pui Reservoir bus stop to the dam for either the Byewash or main reservoirs.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2022, 7:47 AM
Hong Kong

245. The Lower Shing Mun Reservoir's water levels dropped to about 2% in early April 2022, with mud cracks appearing on parts of the lake bed. This special sight drew crowds to scramble down the otherwise inaccessible lake to capture the moment. Since this is not an official hiking path, 1 died and 1 sustained injuries when they fell during their descent, prompting the water department and police to clear the site and all the photographers. So I had to send my drone down to capture the scenes.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 3:38 AM
Hong Kong

260. Located in Plover Cove Country Park outside Tai Po's suburban towers, Bride's Pool is a very easy-to-access waterfall with a few historic villages nearby that can make a good day-long hike.

Legend has it Bride's Pool was named after a bride who drowned here after servants dropped her sedan chair into the water on the way to the groom during a storm. Her heavy wedding decor sealed her fate, and her body was never found. This place is believed to be one of the city's most haunted places.

More photos on my website : https://www.globalphotos.org/hk-drone55.htm

Old Posted May 7, 2022, 11:36 AM
Hong Kong

266. Rising behind Happy Valley is Mount Nicholson, a fairly challenging hike with a famous "face mask rock" part way up. It's a treacherous climb not for the beginner but the drone made the trip in no time.

At the top, over 435m above sea level, is a telecommunications facility with wide views of the skyline.

The south side of the island is home to the rich and famous with plenty of sea views. For the poor, they can still enjoy the same sea through many big beaches along the coast.

Old Posted May 21, 2022, 4:22 AM
Hong Kong

274. Along Kowloon's eastern strethes, Lam Tin's residents are mostly the lower and middle classes but many can get some decent harbour and skyline views.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2022, 11:46 PM

This thread makes my mind explode from the skyscraper abundance! I like seeing the contrast with the village clusters on the outskirts.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2022, 2:15 AM
Hong Kong

284. Lok Ma Chau is a sleepy rural area at the northern stretches of Hong Kong, interrupted by travellers bound for mainland China who pass through by bus and train to cross the border.

However, the government has slated a piece of land at the border for a new technology park. The Lok Ma Chau Loop has a size of about 100 hectares that was formed when the Shenzhen River was diverted. Plans were disrupted as the omicron outbreak made the government change the site into a 1000-bed makeshift hospital and isolation facility for 10,000.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2022, 3:02 AM
Hong Kong

296. After the MTR arrived in the area, the smell of redevelopment has gotten much stronger. Once mostly residential buildings under 10 stories tall from the 1950s and 60s, new highrise residentials will likely take their place along Wing Kwong Street and its surroundings.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2022, 6:05 PM
Hong Kong

303. Located in the far eastern stretches where you can spot China's coastline more readily than the rest of Hong Kong, Tung Ping Chau is a remote island that takes 1.5 hours by ferry from the city. This place is famous for rock formations and is a popular weekend day trip.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2022, 7:00 AM

Old Posted Nov 22, 2022, 2:41 PM
Hong Kong

318. Lei Yue Mun's fishing heritage dates back some 150 years. Alfresco dining came in the 1960s and many restaurants line the waterfront today, where you can pick the seafood from the tanks outside and the kitchen will cook it for you. Urban development has approached and now the village is only a short walk from the MTR.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 2:48 AM
Hong Kong

328. Razor Hill divides Tseung Kwan O and Sai Kung's countryside, rising over 430m. After a tough steep but luckily short climb from Pik Uk, I arrived at the top where the drone didn't need to go that high up to enjoy panoramic views of both city and nature.

329. To the east, the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology has wonderful sea views.

332. To the north is Hebe Haven and plenty of countryside.

333. To the south is the bustling suburb of Tseung Kwan O.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos