HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jan 3, 2012, 4:01 PM
Red October standing by

thanks for the nice pics. too bad this isn't how buildings are built now.

-

-fflint

Old Posted Jan 3, 2012, 5:05 PM
Super Moderator / Sr. Committee

cute! Thanks for sharing.

Every single time I see threads like this, I daydream about what it would be like to buy a house there (assuming it's relatively cheap) and just live there, income source unknown. But then I think about if I would die of boredom or if I could live the same lifestyle I do now - especially finding ethnic cooking ingredients.

Flickr®

Old Posted Jan 13, 2012, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
Nice pictures. I believe that St. Bonaventure is located in Allegany, though, although the municipal line is unclear. It could be in both Olean and Allegany.
Yes, St Bonas' is located entirely in the town of Allegany (not the village). However, The mailing addresses in that area (not including Bonas) are City of Olean. Something goofy with how the postal service recognizes boundaries. St Bonas actually has its own zip code and post office. My father-in-law was postmaster there for several years.

For those not familiar with how the governing levels work in Ny I will elaborate a bit.
The order of jusisdictions is as follows:

State level, Divided into counties. Each County is divided into townships. Within each township there are Hamlets, Villages and Cities. Cattaraugus county has 2 cities, Olean and Salamanca. There are several villages and hamlets in the county as well. The city of Olean has its own government (mayor, etc) and the town of Olean which surrounds it on most sides. The town of allegany completly surrounds the village and both have their own governing bodies as well.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2012, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Pence View Post
Olean is/was home of Clark Corporation, builders of large compressor engines for natural gas pipeline operations.
Still is the home for them. Clark brothers which had its start in Belmont NY(right down the road) move to Olean i 1912. In 1937, it merged with Dresser industries of Bradford PA and became Dresser-Clark. some time after that, late 90's it was purchased by Ingersol Rand and became Dresser Rand. Ingersol divested itself from them several years ago and it is now standing as it's own entity. They are now also owners of Allison Compressor out of Oshkosh Wisconsin.

Last edited by danpik; Jan 13, 2012 at 11:18 PM.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2012, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simms3_redux View Post
I ate here once! I think it's an old library turned restaurant/event space (building on the left that is).
Yes, the building on the left is called The Old Library Restauraunt. Owned by Joe Marra. Great place to eat. The building in the middle (Similar arcitecture) is the Post Office for Olean. The tall building is the old Manufacturers Hanover Bank building (now Vacant). The post office and the "ManyHanny" building are on the west corners of the intersection of Rt 417 (State St) and Rt 16 (Union St) at the center of town. The picture was taken from South Union St looking Northwest.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2012, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
cute! Thanks for sharing.

Every single time I see threads like this, I daydream about what it would be like to buy a house there (assuming it's relatively cheap) and just live there, income source unknown. But then I think about if I would die of boredom or if I could live the same lifestyle I do now - especially finding ethnic cooking ingredients.
Cost to live in this little town is not too bad. Old style 3-4 bedroom houses can be had in the 50,000-80,000 range. Newer style homes range from 75,000- 200,000+ range. Several industries call Olean Home. Dresser Rand, AVX (electronics), Cooper Power Systems, Olean American Tile, Cutco Cutlery, Cytec Corp, are a few of the larger ones. Several smaller >100 employee shops are here as well. Ethnic diversity is good as well. North Olean has a strong Polish heritage. There is also strong Indian (india as well as Native), German, Lebaneese and Italian cultures to name a few. No boredom here if you like the great outdoors. Plenty to do in al 4 seasons.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2012, 7:20 PM
Urban Thinker

Wow! The architecture is incredible for such a small city. The North East never ceases to amaze me with its collection of stunning, often-forgotten towns and cities. The library in particular is absolutely gorgeous:

Quote:

Old Posted Jan 13, 2012, 10:47 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

ahh so thats where st. bonaventure is. i never knew and always wondered, but never enough to look it up.

nice stock in those towns.

one thing that stands out in small ny state towns to me are their old mid-block main street pre-skyscrapers. seems like there is always one to be found:

Old Posted Jan 14, 2012, 9:31 AM

cool pics - some of those houses are really awesome

Old Posted Aug 21, 2012, 5:32 PM
Closed account

Smile

Last edited by Alice; Jan 17, 2014 at 9:27 AM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos