HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Dec 18, 2016, 12:51 AM

Clark Gable's interesting posture...

[QUOTE=CityBoyDoug;7632525]Clark Gable and his wife Carole Lombard.

Thanksgiving.....at home with their miniature wartime turkey or is that a chicken.

Mr. Gable looking a little unsteady...perhaps after a few pre-dinner drinks...

Old Posted Dec 18, 2016, 2:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
Today's Julius Shulman post takes us back to Long Beach. It's "Job 3261: Hugh Gibbs, Texaco, inc. Field Office Building (Long Beach, Calif.), 1961".
Thank you Hoss. Another interesting architect. Hugh Gibbs (1905-1990) opened his firm in 1934 and was in partnership with his son, Don, from 1963. They had a huge impact on their hometown of Long Beach, designing dozens of buildings. The firm is still active as Gibbs Architects, run by a grandson, Kurt Gibbs. Don Gibbs is still in practice.

Their most admired project is their own iconic offices (1963)

3575 Long Beach Blvd, Long Beach, CA 90807

la conservancy

gsv

Last edited by tovangar2; Dec 27, 2016 at 5:13 AM.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2016, 5:20 AM

Well, I'm stuck in Illinois thanks to an ice storm (Winter Storm Decima).
And the ice isn't going to melt anytime soon. The temperature is only going to be in the single digits tomorrow!

The good news is...I now have internet service at my Mom's house (hence this post )

"Vintage Box Frederick Margarita Soap-Los Angeles California Soap Company~Rare"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Box-...MAAOSwHoFXtge2

Does anyone know where in Los Angeles the 'Frederick Soap Company' was located?

Old Posted Dec 18, 2016, 6:14 AM

Here's an extremely odd advertisement/postcard from 1909.

ebay

back

for search purposes:
B. & L. Bar and Cafe, 429 S. Spring St., Los Angeles

William Rennick, Proprietor

Old Posted Dec 18, 2016, 6:28 AM

Soap Opera

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality;7654744

Does anyone know where in Los Angeles the 'Frederick Soap Company' was located?

[URL=https://imageshack.com/i/pmOGJ20Sj
[/URL]
Well there is this:

LAT 1/29/50

...and...

LAT 2/5/50

Olive is an unincorporated area surrounded by Orange, CA.

Where the factory was is now a parking lot.

There was a noirish angle to this company:

Free v. Sluss
[Appellate Department, Superior Court, San Diego.
Civ. A. No. 146946. Sept. 3, 1948.]

CHARLES A. FREE et al., Appellants, v. I. B. SLUSS et al., Respondents.

COUNSEL

Glen H. Munkelt for Appellants.

Harden & Condra and Rollinson & Priess for Respondents.

OPINION

BURCH, J.

The plaintiffs operate a retail grocery in Coronado. The defendant corporation is the manufacturer of soap. The individual defendants are a partnership wholesale broker and dealers in soap. The litigation grows out of a transaction which occurred in the fall of 1946 when soap was scarce and hard to obtain for the existing market. The uncontradicted testimony of one of the plaintiffs, Charles A. Free, establishes that Mr. James, one of the defendant dealers, brought to plaintiffs' grocery store, for the purposes of effecting a sale, a package of Frederick's Margarita Soap, which was a new product to plaintiffs. Mr. James represented that he had the answer to plaintiffs' want; that he had a good [87 Cal. App. 2d Supp. 935] product in a good looking package; that the soap was likely to stay upon the market; and he exhibited to plaintiffs at that time a guarantee of quality printed on the back of the package, and told plaintiffs that if they had any trouble to go ahead and refund the customer's purchase price and that the guarantee would take care of the plaintiffs. The plaintiffs purchased 25 cases. The witness testified "this Frederick's soap looked so good we took a chance on 25 cases." He was asked if he had made any public demonstration of that soap. His answer was, "We did. I got my wife's washing machine, and we put it right next to our checking stand, and we put a small amount of this soap in the washing machine, and it wasn't bad." Question: "Did you have any second dealing with Mr. James about the Frederick's Margarita soap?" Answer: "Yes. Mr. James came back to us. It was not too long after this first 25 cases of soap, and asked us how we had done, and we told him we had done fair on it, and asked us if we would like another shipment of the same soap. We told him that we would, and he said 'Well, I think we can get you 100 cases. A lot of smaller markets can't handle as much as we thought they were going to handle, so you sold all of this, so we can give you this 100 cases' and I took it. We received the shipment just a few days after that and paid for it."

On further substantial evidence the court found that the 100 cases of soap purchased were unfit for the purposes for which they were sold and were unmerchantable. It also appears in the record without contradiction that the plaintiffs offered to return the goods to both the dealers and to the manufacturers.

The guarantee of quality referred to above is as follows:

"Frederick

Margarita

All Purpose Granulated Soap

Guarantee of Quality

If Frederick's granulated soap does not meet with your entire approval your dealer will cheerfully refund the full purchase price upon return of the unused portion.

(Directions in various uses follow.)

Frederick Soap Co.

Los Angeles California" [87 Cal. App. 2d Supp. 936]

When, after discovery of unmerchantability, plaintiffs offered to return the soap to the manufacturer, the latter admitted that the necessary materials to put into the manufacture of a merchantable product were not available.

The fact is evidenced and not contradicted that the plaintiffs bought on the representations made by Mr. James during the negotiations as above set forth.

For the dealer it is contended that these representations were no part of the contract and that no warranty of quality for which the dealer is responsible to the grocerymen is involved.

Defendant manufacturer contends it is relieved by want of privity; and that there is no obligation arising against it in the circumstances either in contract or in tort.

The judgment appealed from is reversed as to both sets of defendants, with directions to amend the conclusions of law and to make and enter judgment for the plaintiffs as prayed for.

Turrentine, P. J., and Thompson, J., concurred.

Translation of verdict into English: No soap.

Last edited by Lorendoc; Dec 18, 2016 at 7:23 AM.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2016, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post
That's a heck of a bungalow BRR, not just the eaves, but the chimney too:

huntington (detail)

Roof lines and chimney caught my attention too.

Trying to track the location based upon the few available details. 1436?

The '87-'88 CD lists "Samuel" Darnell," "ranchman" as resident of the Wright House 113 S. Main St. Could lineman-Sam have been Jr., or just a coincidence?

Per the '97CD, West Side Lighting was headquarted in the Byrne Bldg. at 253 S Broadway.

Quote:
In 1896, West Side Lighting Company built their first large scale steam power plant near downtown Los Angeles. It was built near the northwest corner of 2nd and Boylsten street (seen above).^^

In 1897, West Side Lighting merged with the newly established private company, Los Angeles Edison Electric, which owned the rights to the Edison name and patents, especially the underground DC-power rights. The merged company took on the Edison name. An underground system and technology was crucial at that time, since the city voted in a resolution limiting the installation of new overhead utility poles due to excessive overhead wire congestion. Los Angeles Edison Electric installed the first major DC-power underground conduits system in the Southwest.http://waterandpower.org/museum/Earl...tribution.html

Last edited by BifRayRock; Dec 18, 2016 at 7:11 PM.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2016, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorendoc View Post

LAT 2/5/50

Olive is an unincorporated area surrounded by Orange, CA.
Thanks for locating the Frederick Soap Factory Lorendoc.

I found several interesting photographs pertaining to Olive.

There's this...

http://dragoon1st.tripod.com/olive/b...st-office.html

and for comparison, here's the same building in 1951.

http://dragoon1st.tripod.com/olive/b...st-office.html
____

The Olive Santa Fe station was located directly across the tracks from the Olive Heights Citrus Assoc. packinghouse/ warehouse.

http://dragoon1st.tripod.com/olive/tourc.html

Here's an interesting aerial of both the station and the packing house.

I'm having difficulties with the internet/google chrome right now, so I haven't been able to find out if the Olive station is still standing.

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Dec 19, 2016 at 2:47 AM.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2016, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

Here's an interesting aerial of both the station and the warehouse (it might have been a packing house as well)

__
LAT article: Packing It In, Landmark Packinghouse, Like Groves, Will Vanish, February 07, 1997

With road-widening, etc, there doesn't seem to be anything between the road and the tracks anymore near Orange-Olive and Lincoln (if that's the right spot).

I never heard of Olive, California before:

Olive Through the Ages: http://dragoon1st.tripod.com/olive/
wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olive,_California

P.S.

"When the Santa Fe depot was razed in 1964 due to the realignment of Orange-Olive Road, the Olive Station post office moved to 2683 N. Orange-Olive Road in the strip mall at the Orange-Olive Center and became a station of the Orange post office."
olive through the ages

Last edited by tovangar2; Dec 18, 2016 at 11:09 PM. Reason: add P.S.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2016, 7:58 PM

Here are all the buildings on a 1952 aerial view. Following the fire, the store is missing in the 1963 image, and the corner is still empty. The station seems to disappear as early as 1966 - it was obviously no use when the US Post Office had finished with it. The Sunkist building looks altered in the 1995 image. It's definitely gone by 2002. Note the citrus groves on the left.

Historic Aerials

For comparison, here's the 2010 view (it's clearer than the 2012 view).

Historic Aerials

Old Posted Dec 18, 2016, 9:23 PM

Thanks for your follow-up on Hugh Gibbs, tovangar2. I hope to return to the subject tomorrow.

----------------

We've visited today's Julius Shulman subject before, but I don't think we've seen it in this guise (although oldstuff did mention her mother buying organ tubes there). It's "Job 256: Sheridan Graham Latta, Penny-Owsley, Music Store, 1948".

The set contains six images which are basically three pairs of similar photos. This one is a little blurry in the center, but has a slightly wider view which shows the Rent-a-car U-drive on the right.

This close-up shows the patterning in the marble.

All from Getty Research Institute

This is how 3330 Wilshire Boulevard looked until 2015. I've mentioned the extant signage just off the top-left corner in post #17969.

GSV

Now it's having a makeover.

GSV

It wasn't until I found Chuckaluck's post that I realized the building is being restored (I don't know how original the orange coloring is). I hope they've found a good home for the marble!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckaluck View Post

1/29/1931 - Willard H. George Co. Furriers, 3330 Wilshire Boulevard west of Immanuel Presbyterian.
lapl
Before I leave the area, here's the former Rent-a-car building on S Catalina Street. Until fairly recently it was still open as a parking garage.

GSV

Old Posted Dec 18, 2016, 9:28 PM

Thanks for follow-up and links on Olive CA tovangar2. It's much appreciated.

Very interesting aerial Hoss. I was so hoping the little Santa Fe station had survived.

I didn't realize that was an orange grove directly behind the packinghouse. In the aerial I posted (see below), it looks too...well...overgrown.

ebay

Olive Hillside Groves, Olive CA
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Dec 19, 2016 at 2:35 AM.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2016, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post
LAT article: Packing It In, Landmark Packinghouse, Like Groves, Will Vanish, February 07, 1997

With road-widening, etc, there doesn't seem to be anything between the road and the tracks anymore near Orange-Olive and Lincoln (if that's the right spot).

I never heard of Olive, California before:

Olive Through the Ages: http://dragoon1st.tripod.com/olive/
wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olive,_California

Say that depot pic looks familiar- Did I take it??
If it is mine, who are the alledged bastids who posted it someplace without credit?
That IS a PACKING house. There was another on the east side of the road, non-Sunkist. Never heard of Sunkist warehouses.
Yes the intersection in the aerial is Orange-Olive Rd and Lincoln, view is Northwesterly.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2016, 10:52 PM

Quote:

I didn't realize that was an orange grove directly behind the warehouse. In the aerial I posted (see below), it looks too...well...overgrown.
That was massively convenient, off the trees, into the packing house and out to the trains:

"It's hard to see it go," said Gordon McClelland, a Santa Ana author who worked at the packinghouse as a teenager in the 1960s. "I loved the way it smelled in there. They kept it so beautiful with hardwood floors and everything. I was always fascinated by the whole process, from picking the oranges to boxing them to putting them on the trains."
LAT

Hi Ed, the depot photo is from here

Ask 'em where they got it.

Last edited by tovangar2; Dec 18, 2016 at 11:13 PM.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2016, 12:24 AM

Quote:

We've visited today's Julius Shulman subject before, but I don't think we've seen it in this guise (although oldstuff did mention her mother buying organ tubes there). It's "Job 256: Sheridan Graham Latta, Penny-Owsley, Music Store, 1948".
That was fascinating Hoss. I'm amazed that the entire, original facade was hidden under a false front, bas-reliefs, ziggurat and all. If only that were true of many of our other modernized buildings. The first remodel was not unpleasant, but the second was grim.

The photo of the building on GW's site reveals that it once stretched from the church to the corner. The eastern bit escaped the remodel, but then got demolished.
Its replacement is being rehabbed as part of the Morgan Adams project.

GW

The orange color confused me too. I thought it was primer. Closer inspection reveals it's tilework. Could it be original too?

gsv

Richard D King
Willard H. George Co
Sheridan Graham Latta
Penny-Owsley
Morgan Adams Building
3330 Wilshire

Last edited by tovangar2; Dec 27, 2016 at 5:15 AM. Reason: add photo

Old Posted Dec 19, 2016, 2:28 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Workman View Post
Say that depot pic looks familiar- Did I take it??
If it is mine, who are the alledged bastids who posted it someplace without credit?
That IS a PACKING house. There was another on the east side of the road, non-Sunkist. Never heard of Sunkist warehouses.
Yes the intersection in the aerial is Orange-Olive Rd and Lincoln, view is Northwesterly.
That aerial view is said to be courtesy of J. Signor.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2016, 3:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality
'mystery' location

"Vitagraph Company, Vernon Dent, Los Angeles" [no date]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pic-historic...sAAOSw4GVYNyCG

I don't know for sure, but I believe this image shows a production (featuring Vernon Dent) on a location shoot.

(the house in the background might be next to the studio....or further afield)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudry View Post
I believe that's 533 South Fig:

uscdigarch
Holy Moly Beaudry! That was some mighty fine sleuthing.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2016, 3:40 AM

Quote:
Penny-Owsley Music Store, 1948".

Hoss, I just found a photograph of the interior!

http://www.steinway.lagcc.cuny.edu/f....0085.9.51.PDF

The photograph below is slightly different than the ChuckaLuck & GW photos. (a large Steinway blade sign has been installed)-among other signs.

Have we discussed the branch downtown on Figueroa?

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Dec 19, 2016 at 3:55 AM.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2016, 4:19 AM

detail
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor View Post
Isn't . . . isn't that the great Ford Sterling towards with one arm akimbo on his hip and the other on someone's shoulder?
hmmm, could be odinthor

but it's a bit difficult to tell.

http://bigvriotsquad.blogspot.com/20...e-25-2014.html

a dapper (and handsome) Ford Sterling

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_S...rdSterling.jpg

sidenote:
I hadn't noticed the two bell-hops in the 'mystery' Vitagraph pic.
The location shoot was no doubt taking advantage of the exterior of Bellevue Terrace hotel.

& the people in the photograph appear to be looking up at one of the upper floors of the Bellevue Terrace

here's the whole photograph again.
ebay

See what I mean....

oops. I see that Beaudry already mentioned this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudry
Note that they're in the backyard of the Bellevue Terrace, looking up at some action happening from one of the many windows.
So Bellevue Terrace is on celluloid. (think we could figure out what film they were shooting?)

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Dec 19, 2016 at 4:45 AM.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2016, 6:06 AM

Quote:
Hoss, I just found a photograph of the interior!

A couple of shots of the original interiors are on J Lou Architects project page (they're doing the restoration).

j lou architects

There's this evocative night shot too, of the shopfront under the ziggurat tower:

j lou architects

Also, LAPL has some shots of a picket line outside 3330 when it housed the furriers

Last edited by tovangar2; Dec 27, 2016 at 5:16 AM. Reason: add pix

Old Posted Dec 19, 2016, 10:45 AM

Thanks for the follow-ups on the Penny-Owsley building, e_r and tovangar2. It was only when I saw the staircase picture that I realized I'd posted detail pictures of the interior and exterior of 3330 Wilshire Boulevard before. It turns out that it was over two years ago in November 2014. Here are just three of the images as a reminder. The whole post can be found here.

Quote:

The California State Library has many other 1931 shots of the building. Here are a few details.

California State Library

California State Library

California State Library

I wonder if the interior has survived better than the exterior.

California State Library

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos