HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Nov 30, 2022, 5:23 AM

Denver don't need no stinkin' supertalls to be Super Cool

What block in downtown Denver would this look good on?

Credit: HKS

https://www.cnn.com/style/article/su...wer/index.html
Quote:
There's a well-known saying that everything is bigger in Texas. But so far, that hasn't been the case for the state capital's skyline.That could change soon, said Brad Wilkins of architecture firm HKS, during an interview with CNN.

Wilkins has worked on some of the world's tallest buildings — including Dubai's Burj Khalifa and the Wuhan Greenland Center in China — and he's the principal and design director behind Wilson Tower, an 80-story, 1,035-foot residential skyscraper planned for Austin, Texas.

The 450 residential units in the building will range from studios to three and four-bedroom penthouses. Developers say plans include four floors of amenities for residents, including a cocktail lounge, movie theater, coworking spaces and a floor dedicated to pets.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2022, 8:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post

That would probably look good on that gigantic parking lot between 19th, 20th, Broadway, and Grant. On the other hand, instead of a single supertall, maybe a complex of 4 separate-but-connected towers like the Four in Frankfurt would be better for that spot.

On a related note, I actually think that the 6X Guadalupe in Austin would be the perfect skyscraper for Denver. Not quite a supertall, but still something in the 850' - 900' range, and I do like the look of it.

-----------------

Not related, but since I haven't posted in a while: love the look of 2091 Lawrence St.! What I like most about it is how it "pulls" the skyline north, together with the X2 (while the Bell Tower "pulls" it west and the proposed tower on Bannock "pulls" it south). This would be a good companion to 1900 Lawrence.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2022, 3:26 PM

1201 Cherokee Street (19 stories, +/- 180 units, 4,400 sf of retail, 248 feet in height). The project is in design review.

The architect is Carvell Architects, who also designed the 1245 Cherokee building directly to the north and shown in the renderings (17 stories, 254 units). That building has been approved, but no building permits submitted yet.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2022, 4:58 PM

Great to see a more vertical tower in GT. The barge shaped buildings going up down there are a bit imposing and monotonous. Hopefully the new zoning there results in more point towers and we see the skyline stretch out further south.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2022, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rds70 View Post
1201 Cherokee Street (19 stories, +/- 180 units, 4,400 sf of retail, 248 feet in height). The project is in design review.

The architect is Carvell Architects, who also designed the 1245 Cherokee building directly to the north and shown in the renderings (17 stories, 254 units). That building has been approved, but no building permits submitted yet.

Do not get your hopes up on this. The site is owned by a land-banker (you all know his name) and is currently on the market. I have spoken with the broker and they are trying to sell the site fully entitled with the development plans.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2022, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver View Post
Do not get your hopes up on this. The site is owned by a land-banker (you all know his name) and is currently on the market. I have spoken with the broker and they are trying to sell the site fully entitled with the development plans.
That did cross my mind.

My guess is that the site is under contract by a prospective developer who now wants to explore re-selling the site (possibly flipping it at land closing) along with current entitlements.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2022, 6:25 PM

How likely is 1235 Cherokee to moving forward? Seems like that has been near the start line for a little bit

Old Posted Nov 30, 2022, 9:07 PM

Quote:
That did cross my mind.

My guess is that the site is under contract by a prospective developer who now wants to explore re-selling the site (possibly flipping it at land closing) along with current entitlements.
No. The site is being sold with the plans. There is no developer involved.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 12:22 AM

I gotta say this is real darn interesting
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver View Post
No. The site is being sold with the plans. There is no developer involved.
and it illuminates yet another good reason why DenverInfilll's Roundups are so dang useful. After reviewing the GT Roundup I see where the developer of "13th and Cherokee" is listed as "TBD". I recalled seeing that previously but didn't give it much thought at the time.

The only other instance where I can recall something similar is at 600 Park Avenue by Greystar. The original investor/purchaser of the land was from K.C. (and I think they did the entitlements) ended up selling the site to Greystar - although they retained an equity interest in the project.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 12:52 AM

That park above I-70 in Elyria-Swansea is finally open
Nov 30, 2022 by Rebecca Tauber/Denverite

Click here to see photo by Kevin J. Beaty/Denverite

Quote:
For local, state and federal officials, it’s a win. Community members still have questions.

Local, state and federal officials formally opened the park above I-70 in Elyria-Swansea Wednesday, concluding a five-year, $1.2 billion highway construction project.

At the park’s ribbon cutting, government officials touted the project as a model for working with communities that have been harmed by urban planning in the past. Meanwhile, community advocates have lingering concerns, and are already looking toward what’s next to protect their neighborhood.
It's fair to say that I'm used to Denverite articles adding editorial comment along with the news.
-----------------------------

I'm gonna throw this out there as a Heads Up

Could proposed rent control measures help or make matters worse for Coloradans?
Nov 28, 2022 By Rob Harris - Denver7 News
Quote:
DENVER — A law passed by the state legislature back in 1981 currently bans local communities in the state from enacting rent control measures; but, there is mounting pressure to revisit the law and repeal it, as Coloradans continue to face increasing costs of living.

But is that the solution or will it make matters worse?
An in-depth look at the issue. Give it a read.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 2:53 AM

11th and Bannock on Sunday.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 2:34 AM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLucasTheGreat View Post
How likely is 1235 Cherokee to moving forward? Seems like that has been near the start line for a little bit

It's pretty inactive in e-permits. The bulk filings haven't moved for eight-ish months, unfortunately.

But... Speaking of the Golden Triangle. Here is a nice roundup I just posted.

https://denverinfill.com/2022/12/gol...-dec-2022.html
Latest Photo Threads: Los Angeles | New Orleans | Denver: 2014 Megathread | Denver Time-Lapse Project For more photos check out: My Website and My Flickr Photostream

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 3:42 AM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
That park above I-70 in Elyria-Swansea is finally open
Nov 30, 2022 by Rebecca Tauber/Denverite

Click here to see photo by Kevin J. Beaty/Denverite

It's fair to say that I'm used to Denverite articles adding editorial comment along with the news.
In fairness to Denverite, if you heard the speeches, the commentary was part of the news.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 5:23 AM

Nice photo; thanks for the contribution
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanRoy View Post
11th and Bannock on Sunday.

--------------------------

Thanks for the context
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
In fairness to Denverite, if you heard the speeches, the commentary was part of the news.
I figure[d] some will be happy while others will find reasons not to be satisfied. I look forward to further reviews as time goes along.
--------------------------

MOAR TOD

Grand Opening: Traverse Apartments, Lakewood
December 1, 2022 - Mile High CRE

Traverse Apartments
5495 WEST 10TH AVENUE

Courtesy of KTGY

Quote:
KTGY, a leading full-service architecture, branding, interior and planning firm, today announced the grand opening of Traverse Apartments, a class A apartment community in Lakewood. Traverse Apartments is designed to provide much-needed apartment homes for multigenerational residents in a transitional area adjacent to the Sheridan Station transit stop.
One, Two, Three, Four local entities got together to make this happen.
Quote:
KTGY partnered with an ownership group, including Trailbreak Partners; T.O.D. Properties and Highland Development.

Images courtesy Traverse Apartments

Quote:
SPECIAL!
Currently offering 6 weeks free on select floor plans!

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 5:44 AM

Which reminds me...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
In fairness to Denverite...
Nathaniel Minor/Denverite did a very nice piece about "Denver’s sidewalk queen"

Old Posted Dec 3, 2022, 10:38 PM

For our Favorite Fans of Denver's Subway Dreams

It's now been two years since Austin voters approved funding for their Project Connect transit system. After two years of planning they finally decided...........
they need to do more planning.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/aust...onsiderations/
Quote:
AUSTIN (KXAN) — New design considerations released by the Austin Transit Partnership Wednesday outline possible scope tweaks on the Project Connect mass transit system, including the possibility of a street level light rail system through downtown.

The presentation provided a technical analysis of the downtown region.... The downtown region is defined as a “major driver” of the Project Connect light rail system, with officials noting in backup documents: “What we do Downtown influences the rest of the system.”
So what's going on?
Quote:
The considerations come four months after ATP board members opted to pause work on Project Connect’s light rail system to reconsider its scope and features amid burgeoning costs associated with the project. Back in April, officials confirmed costs of the light rail system were expected to nearly double, with project heads citing real estate, design changes and inflation levels as contributors.
Along other sections of light rail routes they're also looking at:
Quote:
including possible simplified system versions that could include shorter tunnels or at-grade services, instead of underground.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2022, 6:15 PM
[sub]urbanite

Quote:

Credit: HKS

https://www.cnn.com/style/article/su...wer/index.html
I vote the lot next to Four Seasons!

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 5:01 AM

A couple additional projects working through the review process:

9th and Broadway (AMLI) - 22 stories, 549 units, 9,000 square feet of retail, 250 feet in height:

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 5:10 AM

2000 Broadway - 23 stories, 261 units, no retail, 264 feet in height:

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 9:48 AM

https://www.milenderwhite.com/our-work/2000-s-broadway/
Quote:
2000 Broadway is a 438,674 sq. ft. market-rate multi-family residential community located at 2000 Broadway.... This 23-story multifamily project will consist of 6 parking levels, a 1st-floor main lobby, with the top floor being Penthouse level apartments with upgraded finishes... The building includes a total of 261 apartment units with a mix of studio, one- and two-bedroom units with private balconies.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West