HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

270 Park Avenue in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 1:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
I think that Dimon will seek an unparalleled landmark. This will not be a mundane 1,250’ Tower.
+1

Dimon is retiring in five years, the construction timeline for this is five years. The chairman and CEO of one of the biggest banks in the world is literally building his parting piece. We'll get normal bank building stuff like huge trading floors, but I have high hopes.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 2:58 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhyllisJerry71 View Post
Okay but like what about the dozen other reasons people have given?! Or are you guys that blindly devoted to your height-equals-design mentality?
Are you so blindly dedicated to a relic of the past that you have forgotten the reason it was placed there in the first place? We don't know what the ultimate height of this building will be. And that doesn't matter because it will be 2.5 msf of new office space in a district where most of it is approaching the century mark.

Sure the bulding could be saved, sure it could be converted to residential. Why does NY have to be a home for so many businesses at all? Why cant it be more like other cities whose downtowns have seen far better days, if they still exist at all? The answer - because it's New York, where the top companies demand the top or the best the city has to offer. They could "settle" for anything, anywhere. But you see, New York is determined to keep its top central business district where it is - viable. If that means replacing a relic built more than half a century ago with nearly twice the amount of moden office space - built to demand - then that's what you do.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 5:18 PM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

Funny(?) warning:

Dear Colleagues Either On The Fence or Still Struggling With Delusions of Nostalgia:

It is not too late to join the rest of us. I was once one of you; but wise posters like NYGuy have brought about within me the clarity of mind sufficient to make me change it in matters such as this.

In all seriousness, though, given all the latest skyline pics we've seen recently in the supertall construct threads, I've arrived at the conclusion that there is now more than enough in terms of both height and density that 270's demo will be hardly noticeable from the outside in.

If they intend to have 245 and 277 follow the same fate, I'm prepared to accept that decision...it's just that the first is the most attractive of the three...comparatively speaking; and the other has the best tendency to "stick out" in a skyline shot.

But in the grand scheme of things: If you wanna make an omelette............

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 11:01 PM
New Yorker for life

Adding inspiration...(quote from Vornado's Steven Roth)

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 5:20 AM
Crane Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prezrezc View Post
Funny(?) warning:

Dear Colleagues Either On The Fence or Still Struggling With Delusions of Nostalgia:

It is not too late to join the rest of us. I was once one of you; but wise posters like NYGuy have brought about within me the clarity of mind sufficient to make me change it in matters such as this.

In all seriousness, though, given all the latest skyline pics we've seen recently in the supertall construct threads, I've arrived at the conclusion that there is now more than enough in terms of both height and density that 270's demo will be hardly noticeable from the outside in.

If they intend to have 245 and 277 follow the same fate, I'm prepared to accept that decision...it's just that the first is the most attractive of the three...comparatively speaking; and the other has the best tendency to "stick out" in a skyline shot.

But in the grand scheme of things: If you wanna make an omelette............
I think 277 is safe for a while longer yet:
http://www.cauldwellwingate.com/proj...a-renovations/

That building is still in the hands of the family who built it, it seems they're proud of it and want to keep it around.
They also recently installed this:
https://cortexintel.com/

299 next door is also getting work done later this year.
245 is the only one I'm not sure about.
"Prayers are fleeting and wars are forgotten, but what is built endures"
-Ambassador DeLenn, Babylon 5

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 2:47 PM

did I miss the renderings?

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Forumer View Post
did I miss the renderings?
Nope, JPM apparently hasn't even picked an architecture firm yet.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 1:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Are you so blindly dedicated to a relic of the past that you have forgotten the reason it was placed there in the first place? We don't know what the ultimate height of this building will be. And that doesn't matter because it will be 2.5 msf of new office space in a district where most of it is approaching the century mark.

Sure the bulding could be saved, sure it could be converted to residential. Why does NY have to be a home for so many businesses at all? Why cant it be more like other cities whose downtowns have seen far better days, if they still exist at all? The answer - because it's New York, where the top companies demand the top or the best the city has to offer. They could "settle" for anything, anywhere. But you see, New York is determined to keep its top central business district where it is - viable. If that means replacing a relic built more than half a century ago with nearly twice the amount of moden office space - built to demand - then that's what you do.
Fair enough. At the end of the day though, my feelings about this project will really depend on the appearance of the new tower vs. the current one, as opposed to any kind of nostalgia. If we end up with something the caliber of One Vanderbilt here, I suppose I can reconcile myself with the loss of the current building. If we’re going to wind up with a Chinese-style supertall in a plaza that completely destroys the Park Avenue canyon effect, or god forbid a blue-glass monolith like 3 Hudson Boulevard, not so much.

Also, Prezrezc, were you quoting Robert Moses there? I read that he used to respond to critics of his slum clearance program by saying “you can’t make an omelette without breaking a few eggs.”

Anyways, I’m just gonna let this one play out (unless of course the replacement building is really, regrettably, unequivocally ugly).

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 3:28 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhyllisJerry71 View Post
Fair enough. At the end of the day though, my feelings about this project will really depend on the appearance of the new tower vs. the current one, as opposed to any kind of nostalgia. If we end up with something the caliber of One Vanderbilt here, I suppose I can reconcile myself with the loss of the current building. If we’re going to wind up with a Chinese-style supertall in a plaza that completely destroys the Park Avenue canyon effect, or god forbid a blue-glass monolith like 3 Hudson Boulevard, not so much.

This could be considered a tower in a plaza, in that it is set back from the street. A lot of the towers built in that era were. I suspect that whatever is built here will have a large base. Since Chase is building a tower specific to its needs (and desires), I expect all the bells and whistles that the modern office towers are getting. Think of it as a custom designed suit.

http://vintagemanhattanskyline.tumblr.com/page/15

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
This could be considered a tower in a plaza, in that it is set back from the street. A lot of the towers built in that era were. I suspect that whatever is built here will have a large base. Since Chase is building a tower specific to its needs (and desires), I expect all the bells and whistles that the modern office towers are getting. Think of it as a custom designed suit.

http://vintagemanhattanskyline.tumblr.com/page/15
Technically yes, it could be considered a tower in a plaza. One of the things I’ve always enjoyed about this stretch of Park though is that most of the towers and plazas are pretty similarly proportioned, so it still has sort of that classic skyscraper-canyon feel. My concern is that if Chase chooses a design with a larger plaza, it could disrupt the whole sequence (idk how likely that is, though). Like I said, my hope would be for something One Vanderbilt-ish here, at least in terms of how the building relates to the street. Ultimately though, I am still pretty partial to the existing building, so I’m going to be kind of wary until the new design is revealed—or rather, when we see what the tailors come up with, to use your analogy.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 8:39 PM
New Yorker for life

I always look at is as varying heights, but that canyon is still there, like other major Avenues. Park Avenue and 6th Avenue have more buildings set back from the street wall though,
due to the plazas that were included in a lot of the buildings.

PAULO PEDRO DE SOUSA

Ryan Budhu

Ron Coleman

Andrew Knepley

Last edited by NYguy; Apr 12, 2018 at 8:52 PM.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 9:05 PM

If JP Morgan is looking for a permanent monument and a statement of corporate supremacy, I foresee a 1200ft masonry facade in granite or limestone like 23 Wall Street, especially after tearing down a building with a metal and glass facade. It will also have to distinguish itself from the other 20th century office buildings surrounding it, and from the newer Bear Stearns building.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 10:37 PM

What if the new 1,200 ft 270 Park Avenue tower looks like this?

Star River Headquarter
Architect: SOM

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 10:39 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

^^^^^

More suitable for Jersey City. But do we want another Salesforce quasi-clone in the works...?

... to many of those around. There is a fixation with that shape too! Now at that height, something unique and to stand out, of course.

Given its a new HQ, hopefully the design is excellent and showcases the elitism that is JP Morgan. That means an exquisite design exclusive for the top bank out there.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 10:42 PM
BANNED

We’ll get something way better than that. This is the richest bank in the world.

I think it will be over 1,500 feet. JPMC will not be outdone by 1 Vandy.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 10:58 PM
New Yorker for life

https://therealdeal.com/2018/04/12/a...venue-sources/

AECOM Tishman tapped to build 270 Park Avenue: sources
Project will span 2.5M sf

By Kathryn Brenzel
April 12, 2018

Quote:
The company was tapped to build a new, 70-story office tower that will span 2.5 million square feet, sources said. JPMorgan plans to raze the existing 52-story building and begin construction on the new tower by 2019. While its new headquarters is being built, JPMorgan will temporarily relocate to L&L Holding Company’s 290 Madison Avenue, where they are leasing nearly 440,000 square feet.

Representatives for JPMorgan didn’t immediately return requests seeking comment. Sources said Tishman inked a contract for pre-development work, but the overall contract has not yet been finalized.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 1:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky88 View Post
What if the new 1,200 ft 270 Park Avenue tower looks like this?

That looks like the Salesforce Tower, only even more phallic. I agree with JMKenyes, they're going to go really tall for this one. It's not often a company of this caliber gets a lot this big in Midtown.

Save the SS United States!

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 4:48 AM
Crane Goddess

^About that design- Aww hell no! One, there's already a lot of skyscrapers around that look like it. Two, can you imagine the dick jokes? Jamie Dimon's gonna be the butt of a LOT of those if something like that goes up.
"Prayers are fleeting and wars are forgotten, but what is built endures"
-Ambassador DeLenn, Babylon 5

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 9:19 AM

I still think we’re all going to look back on the razing of this building as a mistake.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 10:52 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ and as usual you will be proven wrong. i dk about height or care much about it really for that site, but what is certain is that the new building will be better in every respect.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction