HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One Vanderbilt in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 16, 2014, 12:25 PM

It certainly isn't...take a closer look at the heightened setbacks. The top one, especially.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2014, 1:34 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oura View Post
It's the same design. Just a different point of view.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPro View Post
It certainly isn't...take a closer look at the heightened setbacks. The top one, especially.

Right, I said before, even taking into account the orientation, it's an improvement. I expect further refining of course, especially considering it's a few years off from construction.
Already it's jumped from 1,350 ft at the top to 1,396 ft, adding more verticality, which is what it needed. But consider the progressive changes at 30 Hudson.

Speaking of which, take your pick of the pointed Midtown collection...(not inclding Nordstrom, which I don't think fits that category)

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2014, 9:35 PM
New Yorker for life

Just to keep track, official approvals process begins Monday...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 9:04 AM
~

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPro View Post
In the first render, setbacks are slanted towards the viewer. That's why it gives you this illusion.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 12:50 PM
BANNED

Read more: http://www.yimbynews.com/2014/10/one...rty-taxes.html

One Vanderbilt’s Biggest City Contribution? Property Taxes

BY: STEPHEN SMITH ON OCTOBER 16TH 2014 AT 4:00 PM

Quote:
The ballpark estimate for One Vanderbilt’s annual property tax bill, a spokesperson for SL Green told YIMBY, is $50 million. That would be a massive jump over the current levy for the prewar buildings on the block bounded by 42nd Street, Madison Avenue, 43rd and Vanderbilt, which currently pay around $8 million a year.

While the total built square footage of the block would nearly triple, increasing the strain on municipal services, the extra revenue would far surpass the costs to the city. Office buildings don’t send children to public schools and tend not to make many 911 calls. And on a per gross square foot basis, One Vanderbilt’s bill – nearly $28, according to our back-of-the-envelope calculation, on par with trophy towers like the General Motors and Solow buildings – would be much higher than the $10 to $12 that the current prewar structures pay.

The fact that One Vanderbilt would pay its full property tax bill in the first place is somewhat of an anomaly for glittering new office towers in New York City. On the West Side and downtown, tax abatements are handed out like candy. The government agencies that dole out the tax breaks for office towers are frustratingly opaque about what the spires actually pay, but pretty much all major towers rising outside of Midtown East get some sort of break – from the Bank of America Tower and the New York Times building to the forest of office towers planned for Hudson Yards and the World Trade Center.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 1:00 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oura View Post
In the first render, setbacks are slanted towards the viewer. That's why it gives you this illusion.
It's not illusion. The height has been increased, and the tower will continue to be refined. If there's any illusion, it would be with the other render.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2014, 12:19 AM
New Yorker for life

Fun with graphics...

Old Posted Oct 19, 2014, 4:18 AM

Il est parfait. J'aime cela

Old Posted Oct 19, 2014, 5:37 AM

think it's fair to say that they weren't pulling our legs when they said it would be on par with iconic towers worldwide. It certainly has the height and design. If it were isolated instead of smack dab of the middle of everything it might have achieved that level of fame.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2014, 12:00 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by King DenCity View Post
For future reference, it's an English (or what passes for it) speaking forum.

One Vanderbilt cast its mighty shadow across Midtown...

Old Posted Oct 19, 2014, 2:17 PM

21st Century version of the Chrysler building! I've never seen a building more rendered in the skyline than this one. Like their getting every render studio in the city to draw their version of it.

I think its safe to say this one is going to clear the roof of the Empire State Building...and 432 Park.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2014, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
21st Century version of the Chrysler building! I've never seen a building more rendered in the skyline than this one. Like their getting every render studio in the city to draw their version of it.

I think its safe to say this one is going to clear the roof of the Empire State Building...and 432 Park.
It's beginning to grow on me. The proportions are nice. It may proceed.....

Old Posted Oct 19, 2014, 7:16 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by King DenCity View Post
Speak American!

Quote:
21st Century version of the Chrysler building!

Yes I agree. It is kinda growing on me too. Even the top portion as well. Its height will help give it a slender looking nature, even though it is kinda large.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2014, 7:52 PM

Regardless of the top, we should all be happy that it's replacing the buildings it's replacing.

I think it's going to be quite nice to look down 40th to see the Chrysler building, One Vanderbilt and the BofA tower all in a line.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2014, 8:29 PM

See, its growing on everyone now!! I knew it would!

Someone has to change the diagram, again. Hopefully for the last time. (Although I would love to see this one hit 1,500 feet! It's so incredibly close!)

Old Posted Oct 19, 2014, 10:50 PM
don't *meddle*...

It needs another 100 feet to the roof. Also they should get rid of those setbacks, the top is too busy for my taste. Just increase the height a little more and let the tower taper nicely. And add an awesome spire for dessert.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2014, 10:51 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:

If built today, it would be second tallest in the country after the Freedom Tower. Nordstrom will be completed first though, so at best it will be 3rd. Still impressive, considering the number of supertalls planned around Manhattan. As it is now, Nordstrom will be king of the north, the FT south, 30 Hudson in the west, but One Vanderbilt will rule the east.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2014, 10:53 PM
don't *meddle*...

^ And ironically they are all in the same height range (to the roof): 400 - 450m. We need a true signature tower! I know it's getting old ...

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
It needs another 100 feet to the roof. Also they should get rid of those setbacks, the top is too busy for my taste. Just increase the height a little more and let the tower taper nicely. And add an awesome spire for dessert.
There's a rumor from WI_1982 on SSC that the tower may now be 1,500 foot to roof, with the spire on top of that. Apparently the renders NYguy has found are new to us but still relatively old. Take it with a grain of salt for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy
If built today, it would be second tallest in the country after the Freedom Tower. Nordstrom will be completed first though, so at best it will be 3rd. Still impressive, considering the number of supertalls planned around Manhattan. As it is now, Nordstrom will be king of the north, the FT south, 30 Hudson in the west, but One Vanderbilt will rule the east.
It is impressive considering this isn't the WTC or Hudson Yards or a residential building. It's an entirely new office mecha going up straight in the middle of Midtown Manhattan, and I have still doubt the're going to fill the space.

Last edited by Onn; Oct 20, 2014 at 12:44 AM.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 1:55 AM

Quote:
There's a rumor from WI_1982 on SSC that the tower may now be 1,500 foot to roof, with the spire on top of that. Apparently the renders NYguy has found are new to us but still relatively old. Take it with a grain of salt for now.

It is impressive considering this isn't the WTC or Hudson Yards or a residential building. It's an entirely new office mecha going up straight in the middle of Midtown Manhattan, and I have still doubt the're going to fill the space.
That guy never said it was going to be 1500 ft "to the roof", but just that it is going to be 1500 ft instead of 1450ft. So I guess he meant 1500 ft as the total height, including spire, and that the "actual submitted design" is, in fact, the one NYGuy showed. His exact words are:
Quote:
This building is clearly around 1500 ft., not 1450 ft. The actual submitted design is at 1500.

Anyway, what does it mean in that graphic all those 10ft measures? it is like the building as a whatever 10 ft envelope in all sides.
Even at the top, you see that there is a line at 1494 ft to the top of the spire, but the spire is actually 10ft. bellow that line, and it is even measured.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive