HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 2:36 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

I remember that bridge. You could see it from the train as you passed by. It was a very long and impressive structure. According to the post card image in the link, it was the second longest covered bridge in the world. It was around until at least the early 1970s. I believe it caught fire.

But, this bridge only crossed the Memramcook River, just above Dorchester. It didn't connect to Albert County, which would have required a further connection across the lower Petitcodiac River. The Petitcodiac broadens considerably below Hillsborough, and any bridge crossing this far south would be very expensive...........

EDIT - apparently it didn't burn, the bridge was last seen floating down river during a severe blizzard in 1977.

Here's a couple of photos:

Last edited by MonctonRad; Oct 1, 2020 at 3:04 AM.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 10:01 AM

Is this the area where the bridge was?

There's no sign of the piers any more. But I notice that "Rockland No1 Road" has a stub on the west bank, and a longer stub on the east bank. It also looks like there is a roadbed remnant going out onto that peninsula as well.

As for crossing the Petitcodiac, eyeballing Google Maps, the best spot to cross would probably be around Stoney Creek. That seems to be the narrowest point below Moncton itself. There might be a few narrower parts closer to the city, but those may be too close to make much of a difference traffic flow wise.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 10:06 AM

It must have crossed around here:

I think it was called the Rocklyn or Rockland bridge.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
Is this the area where the bridge was?

There's no sign of the piers any more. But I notice that "Rockland No1 Road" has a stub on the west bank, and a longer stub on the east bank. It also looks like there is a roadbed remnant going out onto that peninsula as well.

As for crossing the Petitcodiac, eyeballing Google Maps, the best spot to cross would probably be around Stoney Creek. That seems to be the narrowest point below Moncton itself. There might be a few narrower parts closer to the city, but those may be too close to make much of a difference traffic flow wise.
If you were going to go with two future crossings, Bridgedale - Melanson road and Stoney Creek - Dover would be the best options in my opinion.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 11:37 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
If you were going to go with two future crossings, Bridgedale - Melanson road and Stoney Creek - Dover would be the best options in my opinion.
I would agree, and the Bridgedale/Melanson crossing makes the most sense in terms of potential traffic diversion and in terms of completing a ring road system around the city.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 5:51 PM

City has posted a picture on FB of the new bridge in Irishtown park

Irishtown Nature Park Update

Old Posted Oct 3, 2020, 2:42 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quite an improvement over the old wooden span. I read previously that the new bridge is wide enough to allow pickup trucks and maintenance equipment to pass. It probably couldn't manage the weight of a fire truck, but the new bridge likely still would have come in handy earlier this summer when they had that small forest fire in the park.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2020, 8:38 PM

Thanks everyone for adding some clarity to the ol' Upper Dorchester Bridge post.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2020, 3:53 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

The Harrisville Complex on Shediac Road has landed a major tenant for their vacant ground floor commercial space:

Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 1:17 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

They are apparently building a truck wash (big enough for an 18 wheeler) at the Shell truck stop off of Harrisville Blvd in the Caledonia Industrial Park.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 1:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
They are apparently building a truck wash (big enough for an 18 wheeler) at the Shell truck stop off of Harrisville Blvd in the Caledonia Industrial Park.
There is one of these in Cornwall PEI, they’re pretty different looking. I have to say though, that is a a HUGE truck stop!

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 4:10 PM

Quote:
I would agree, and the Bridgedale/Melanson crossing makes the most sense in terms of potential traffic diversion and in terms of completing a ring road system around the city.
A decade ago I would have said the traffic circle was the next logical spot for a bridge but with the growth we've seen I'd also agree that Bridgedale/Melanson would be the next location.

They need to either get Gunningsville or Findlay to continue on over to Turtle Creek eventually as well...

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 8:15 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Current status of the Hospice Greater Moncton construction site off of Pleasant Street.

Photo found on Greg Turner's FB page

Old Posted Oct 31, 2020, 1:36 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
CCD Canada has a listing online for "ALPA Equipment Moncton".

ALPA is a forestry and construction heavy equipment dealer, currently with locations in Balmoral, Edmundston, Fredericton and Truro.

https://www.alpaequipment.com

With this notice on CCD Canada, it would appear they are planning on building a dealership in Moncton too, presumably within one of the industrial parks. We'll keep an eye on this one. The new Moncton East Business Park would be an ideal location for something like this, especially regarding visibility and access from the TCH
The full construction card is now available on CCD Canada.

ALPA EQUIPMENT, MONCTON
CCD Ref. Number : NB161209-20-10
Stage : 4-Drawing
Published : October 15, 2020
Starting Date (estimated) : Year 2020
Size : Mid-sized ($7,017,000)
Work type : New construction
Sector : Private
Category : 2-Commercial
Subcategories : 2C-Retail Trade

Disciplines : ARCH, ELEC, EQUI, HVAC, MEC-B, STRUC, OTHER*

Description :
NEW RETAIL STORE -
Located in Moncton, East Business Park, this project (Alpa Equipment*) estimated at $7 017 000 is in the drawings stage. It is slated to begin in 2020 and be completed in July 2021. Works concern the construction of a 9 364 sqft facility for a heavy equipment dealer. The project continues with working drawings and specifications

- Initiator: INFORMATION AVAILABLE TO SUBSCRIBERS

I drove down Price Street the other day, and pretty much the entire length of the street backing on the TCH is one long continuous construction zone with about five different projects ongoing, in various stages of development

Old Posted Nov 1, 2020, 4:06 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Interesting link to a webpage discussing the Humphreys Brook Development Charge Area:
https://letschatmoncton.ca/developmentchargeshumphreys

I have no idea what the current status of this plan is. The second image shows a proposed timeline for buildout, but not everything scheduled for 2020 has been enacted upon. Also Robert Irving has purchased a large chunk of the land necessary for this development, and I have no idea if he is willing to sell at least some of the land to the city so that this neighbourhood development plan can proceed. I don't think he needs all of this land for the new house or for the paddocks for his stables, so maybe he bought the land to have some control in how it is developed. We'll see. In any event, this plan remains on the "Lets Chat Moncton" website.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 11:32 AM

I thought they scrapped that altogether as Irving bought the land specifically to stop this from being developed.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 12:13 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2dam View Post
I thought they scrapped that altogether as Irving bought the land specifically to stop this from being developed.
As I said, I don’t know what the current status of this plan is, but Irving didn’t buy all of the land, just roughly the area labelled R3-R6 on the diagram. The development proposal may progress in some form, especially if Irving sold land he didn’t really want to the city. Time will tell.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 4:54 PM

Quote:
As I said, I don’t know what the current status of this plan is, but Irving didn’t buy all of the land, just roughly the area labelled R3-R6 on the diagram. The development proposal may progress in some form, especially if Irving sold land he didn’t really want to the city. Time will tell.
Also the R7-R8 area.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 9:42 PM

from CBC article

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...hood-1.5689076

basically all of Moncton's plan is toast.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2020, 2:12 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riberview View Post
from CBC article

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...hood-1.5689076

basically all of Moncton's plan is toast.
Welcome to the forums!

I can't see why Irving actually needs the area of the purchased property labelled as R7 & R8 on this map:

Thiis portion of the former Bedford Buck & Sons property is obviously superfluous to Irvings need. The city might be able to convince Irving to sell this portion of the property, and maybe a thin sliver at the back of the property near Humphreys Brook (to act as a connector) so that a modified version of the Humpheys Brook Neighbourhood project could proceed. Bill Budd in the CBC interview intimated as much in the CBC interview. Here is his quoted statement below:

Quote:
Bill Budd, the city's director of planning, was coy about whether the city expects any development in the area purchased.

"Not all landowners want to develop, and that's fine, but at some point if they do, there's a framework there that helps tie in to the rest of the neighbourhood," Budd said in an interview earlier this year.
One thing I found to be interesting is that the initial plan for the Moncton East Business Park included access to the park both from Price Street and from Filles de Jesus Ave, as well as a connector to the proposed Humphreys Brook neighbourhood. The Filles de Jesus connection would have provided easy access from the new neighbourhood to Elmwood Drive and amenities such as the Sobeys store. Since the Filles de Jesus connector did not happen, is this an indication that the city is holding off until the Irving situation sorts itself out???

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces