HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup

Old Posted Aug 26, 2010, 11:35 PM

i love this thought experiment as such. And some of the building ideas.

It would be neat to take the concept away from the dystopian and into a greener and friendlier utopia.

Like. what if twenty years after construction greenpeace conquered the empire?

Old Posted Aug 27, 2010, 4:03 AM

Thanks, guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prometheuspan View Post

It would be neat to take the concept away from the dystopian and into a greener and friendlier utopia.

I think that my broader plan does explore what you are describing to some degree. In the alternate universe which this city exists in, most of the construction which we have seen up to this point is taking place in the early 20th Century. When the project is complete, the date will have caught up to present day, or possibly even progressed into the near future.

As the project matures, we will explore many different political and economic/social dynamics which could theoretically impact the development of a world capitol city hosting a population of 20+ Million. As the name "New Babylon" suggests, my goal is to ultimately represent the architecture and urban dynamics of every political, cultural, and economic system.

We will see much more of the Manhattan-esque American style; more old European Fascist styles; more Communist styles. We will also see some high-density urban development that reflects the styles of Asia and Dubai. We will see on the outskirts elements of small town America as well as the styles seen in small European towns. As we move into the future, we will see the city evolve into a Star Trek style supercity, possibly even hosting a mile-high docking port for spacecraft (something which I have sketched on paper a little bit, but not given any serious thought yet). The city's primary export will ultimately be urban-grown agricultural commodities. As I move forward, flora will be added, and the city will start to look a little more green. Soon the waterways will be mapped also, and some basic topography will be inserted to give the landscape broader context.

I do have some good news to report fiscally, as I just lined up a new secondary job this week after being semi-unemployed for a while. That means that I can probably buy the new computer which I need to keep this project going soon.

I'm planning to finish the cladding on U.S. Centre next, design a few blocks of highrises to line Central Park, and then get to work on the Dept. of Public Works & Corrections complex which I've been talking about forever but keep putting off. Transit hub still needs to be designed, various ports... the airport... The monorail lines... The list just goes on and on. Ah, yes; and... a Nuclear Power Plant will be appearing soon.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2010, 11:43 AM
Closed account

Yeah, it's really big... How big is the file?

I just love allt he detail you put into the whole project!

Old Posted Aug 27, 2010, 12:10 PM

I really like those last shots! I think they are a better way of presenting this untextured model than renderings.

Now that I look at those overviews I'm actually quite surprised how unplanned the city's layout seems. I don't know why I was expecting buildings and streets organized geometrically, 'cause now that I think of it, even ancient Rome, which I'm using as a reference for some reason, didn't look that organized.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2010, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Ah, yes; and... a Nuclear Power Plant will be appearing soon.

eeeeek!

But. But. Why?

Can't we just go geothermal and not nuts?

Out of idle curiosity, are you thinking fusion or fission, and, how many terawats
per hour?

Old Posted Aug 28, 2010, 8:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesrule
Yeah, it's really big... How big is the file?

I just love all the detail you put into the whole project!
^ Thanks again. Right now the file is 76.6 MB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vellu
I really like those last shots! I think they are a better way of presenting this untextured model than renderings.

Now that I look at those overviews I'm actually quite surprised how unplanned the city's layout seems. I don't know why I was expecting buildings and streets organized geometrically, 'cause now that I think of it, even ancient Rome, which I'm using as a reference for some reason, didn't look that organized.
I do kinda like the way those turned out too. As for the street layout, it is still a little bit early to tell how the urban transportation network is going to look after a while; but the elevated rail/monorail system will definitely be geared toward helping to alleviate congestion which results from the rather haphazard layout of those areas in and immediately around the Federal districts. Keeping in mind that this city is expected to have a population of 20+ Million within its incorporated limits, definitely expect a more grid-style approach as we work away from the core of downtown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prometheuspan

Out of idle curiosity, are you thinking fusion or fission, and, how many terawats
per hour?
I'm certainly not beyond considering a geothermal approach. I don't know much at all about power plants, or electricity production for that matter. To answer your questions, I doubt that I would try to depict a fission reactor, as I do not think that there are any existing nuclear fission reactors for me to base my general design off of. If I do design a Nuclear plant, it will probably be presented as a regular Nuclear Fusion Reactor.

I think the number of Terawatts per hour that I'm shooting for is probably around 85 (though that confuses me). In any case, roughly 10 Gigawatts of sustained annual power production is probably roughly what is necessary to supply this metro area as it nears maturity. That means that power will have to be delivered in part from elsewhere, or multiple large power generators will have to be constructed near the city, or a very large hydro project will have to be present; but I don't think that North Sommerset county in England offers any real good prospective Hydro options.

Three large Geothermal stations and some wind farms might suffice. Ideas are always welcome, as I am trying to make this project as believable as possible.

-

Anyway, thanks again for all the feedback, and sorry for all the yapping and not a whole lot of new development. I'll try to have some interesting new content for ya'll before the weekend is over.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2010, 8:19 AM
Total Egghead

Intriguing concepts as I should say so. A new postmodern city in the making (I hope I said that right). I see your ideas growing into something more, and yet it tells a story. Idealism, Industrialism... A lot of thoughts coming through my head.

And yet, I just took my cough medicine and feeling drowsy, just getting real addicted to 3d modelling on my end.

You're doing a great job and I'll lurk back to see more.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2010, 9:03 AM
nuttin

K, this is rather imaginative !

Haven't had a chance to read through the pages and fully undertsand it all just yet but will do asap.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2010, 12:24 PM

Why do you hate America? really, it´s offensive to see the Stars and Banners fly above Albert Speer´s Volkshalle.

Anyway, in spirit of the thread, I thought you might enjoy this one. I´m a discreet contributor to that alt history.

Next SKup Project will be KZ-Ros

Old Posted Aug 28, 2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:

Wouldn´t that be even scarier? At least with Howard´s Germania we get to see that as the past, as if we had lost the war. With your idea, we could dread the future.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2010, 10:35 AM

This is the city's first Hydroponics System, equipped with 8 rail lines running through its center and providing employment for approximately 25,000 laborers. Hundreds of projects similar to the one shown below will eventually be necessary to support the employment needs of the city's blue collar population.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2010, 7:53 AM

World Capitol Project remains officially on hiatus, but I am still working on a number of little side projects which are more or less on a waiting list to get integrated into the main model whenever I get around to buying my new computer system. It is my goal to keep this thread somewhat active with occasional updates throughout the hiatus.

The primary anchor of Jaliva Mall will be a Walmart, which is under construction presently:

When complete, the mall will probably have two or three levels of shopping concourses and multi-tiered parking garages. The commercial service centre will also feature residential highrise(s). This is the first building complex in which I am designing the interior floor plan as well as the exterior:

Last edited by JHoward88; Sep 11, 2010 at 8:29 AM.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2010, 11:28 AM
Closed account

Looks very nice, I like it.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2010, 6:28 AM

Cladding on Columbia Centre is complete, and I have positioned the mall project adjacent to it.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2010, 8:14 AM

Thats truly an epic Walmart

Old Posted Sep 28, 2010, 7:20 PM

the thunderstorm background is a nice touch.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2010, 10:45 PM
Charismatic Stallion

Quote:

eeeeek!

But. But. Why?

per hour?
Please. Nuclear energy is the safest, most reliable, and most cost-effective energy solution man has ever devised. Don't accept the propaganda of uninformed idiots who don't know the first thing about the subject. (Geothermal is great too, but in its present state [like all renewables at this point] is not a valid solution for any large population, now in 10 years or possibly even less...)

Also, J, I love the Walmart.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2010, 8:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffstuff129 View Post
Please. Nuclear energy is the safest, most reliable, and most cost-effective energy solution man has ever devised. Don't accept the propaganda of uninformed idiots who don't know the first thing about the subject. (Geothermal is great too, but in its present state [like all renewables at this point] is not a valid solution for any large population, now in 10 years or possibly even less...)

Also, J, I love the Walmart.

You mean that serious do you ?

Old Posted Sep 29, 2010, 11:10 PM
Charismatic Stallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolbert View Post
You mean that serious do you ?
I not sure what part of my post you're referring to, but to clarify: Nuclear power is safe and efficient and I was being somewhat tongue-in-cheek about the Walmart, although the logo (like the rest of this project) is very impressive.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2010, 11:29 AM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup