HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 16, 2020, 2:14 PM

rumour mill saying Winnipeg on lock down by 10pm tonight.
essential services only will be operating

Alberta, effective immediately all schools to be cancelled until Sept, MB looking to follow suit.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2020, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkspec View Post

Alberta, effective immediately all schools to be cancelled until Sept, MB looking to follow suit.
Trudeau is making an announcement of some sort at 12pm today (1pm ET), with some speculating that mass shutdowns for non-essential functions are imminent. I'd imagine if this announcement hits, Tuesday is going to look a lot different here and across Canada.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2020, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkspec View Post

Not surprising in the least. I was surprised when the initial announcement was to keep schools open this week, I suspected that was going to be revised pretty quickly.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2020, 3:28 PM
What could go wrong?

We are lucky that my kids are old enough to be home by themselves, but holy shit...it is hurting my mind to think of how to try to keep them busy for 5 months. They will need some kind of structure.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Mar 16, 2020, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
We are lucky that my kids are old enough to be home by themselves, but holy shit...it is hurting my mind to think of how to try to keep them busy for 5 months. They will need some kind of structure.
You're telling me. I have a very energetic 6 year old and 4 year old. My very type A wife is determined to keep up with school, get them reading and learning new things, but honestly... human nature being what it is, you have to wonder how long before potentially being trapped inside for months will degenerate into an epic Disney+ and video game marathon.

My guess is not all that long.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2020, 3:45 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
You're telling me. I have a very energetic 6 year old and 4 year old. My very type A wife is determined to keep up with school, get them reading and learning new things, but honestly... human nature being what it is, you have to wonder how long before potentially being trapped inside for months will degenerate into an epic Disney+ and video game marathon.

My guess is not all that long.
There have been facebook group chats going around the Wolseley area with respect to rotating home child care. I assume if school is cancelled, that will expand to some degree of home schooling - as cancelled schools should mean that teachers will be home.

It's crazy though. In our relatively small office, we are trying to figure out what to do when approximately half of the office will need to be at home at least part time to take care of kids.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2020, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
There have been facebook group chats going around the Wolseley area with respect to rotating home child care. I assume if school is cancelled, that will expand to some degree of home schooling - as cancelled schools should mean that teachers will be home.
But this is what I mean by the type A we-can-do-this mindset. Everyone is determined to keep going with normal life but covid-19 doesn't care. I mean, if you're mingling a half dozen or more kids who aren't related for group homeschooling, then why not just open up the schools?

As we saw in Wuhan, lockdown means lockdown. It's about survival. You stay inside, you don't meet anymore. Given the design of homes in Manitoba, I guess we at least have backyards and for some, driveways. Which reminds me to pull out the basketball net from the garage... I see a lot of 1 on 1 games in store for us over the next little while.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2020, 3:59 PM
the first stamp is free

^ group sizes are still small though.

All of this is about slowing the transmission of COVID, not stopping it. That ship has sailed. Expecting life to skid to a stop and people barricaded in their houses is not realistic outside of one or two weeks max.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2020, 4:23 PM

uneventful presser
Maybe Trudeau's at noon will have more info.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2020, 4:25 PM

Quote:
^ group sizes are still small though.

All of this is about slowing the transmission of COVID, not stopping it. That ship has sailed. Expecting life to skid to a stop and people barricaded in their houses is not realistic outside of one or two weeks max.
It's more than realistic, it's happening as we speak. Nearly two solid months and still going in Wuhan. Other Chinese and Italian cities will be getting there soon.

https://www.npr.org/2020/03/13/81530...-of-quarantine

Old Posted Mar 16, 2020, 4:28 PM
the first stamp is free

^ well ok, but obviously Wuhan does not equate to Winnipeg.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2020, 4:37 PM
Transit Nerd

I don't know whats more fascist - the entire response to this thing, or the fact that Trudeau is about to hand himself free reign, with no limits...

Old Posted Mar 16, 2020, 4:41 PM

Quote:
^ well ok, but obviously Wuhan does not equate to Winnipeg.
We've been fortunate so far. Our lack of international air service helps in that regard. But all it would take is a family gathering where a dozen people are unknowingly infected and spreading, and we're off to the races.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2020, 4:44 PM
What could go wrong?

.....My apologies
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Last edited by Biff; Mar 20, 2020 at 2:47 PM.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2020, 5:01 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I completely understand the sensitivity to people with compromised immune systems and the elderly and know that this would never happen...but what if the avoidance method is not the correct path. I have no idea how you would determine who is healthy enough to withstand the virus, but what if you slowly exposed groups of "healthy people" to the virus - quarantined them for 2-3 weeks and then had groups of immune people reintroduced back into the world.

Again, i get that this is just me talking out loud but...
Kinda like Russian roulette!

Old Posted Mar 16, 2020, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
Can’t shut down the cash cows!!! Lol, yeah this is a serious problem and it seems like most people aren’t really aware of how dangerous it can be... I work in an assisted living home... I’ve never seen so many visitors. Why people are coming to a seniors home while a deadly virus is making rounds is beyond me.
That’s only because they keep cutting back the PST and need to make money somehow.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2020, 5:32 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Kinda like Russian roulette!
Yes, I know it is a silly thought.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2020, 6:11 PM

So no new cases today in MB. Trudeau closing borders to foreigners*.

*Citizens of USA not considered foreigner.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2020, 7:39 PM
jammon member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
So no new cases today in MB. Trudeau closing borders to foreigners*.

*Citizens of USA not considered foreigner.
Makes no sense to me since the US is exploding with new cases and to me, is the greatest risk at this point. I'm not sure why we would keep the border open to US citizens when Dr. Tam came on yesterday and basically stated the window is so narrow.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2020, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammon View Post
Makes no sense to me since the US is exploding with new cases and to me, is the greatest risk at this point. I'm not sure why we would keep the border open to US citizens when Dr. Tam came on yesterday and basically stated the window is so narrow.
International trade, a lot of Canadian businesses supply to the US driver by Canadians or use product made in the US delivered by trucks driven by US nationals.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan