HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 4:01 PM

Not to mention it's not the only major busy intersection downtown. Portage & Memorial/Colony, which is a very busy pedestrian intersection as well.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 4:07 PM

We also don't need barriers or barricades. Even if people aren't allowed to cross the street, that doesn't mean we need ugly barricades. I suspect some bollards are a good idea, to protect property and people from cars. If we really can't have people cross the street, then at least get rid of the barricades for aesthetic reasons.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 4:13 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGarden View Post
We also don't need barriers or barricades. Even if people aren't allowed to cross the street, that doesn't mean we need ugly barricades. I suspect some bollards are a good idea, to protect property and people from cars. If we really can't have people cross the street, then at least get rid of the barricades for aesthetic reasons.
There are bollards, giant “planters” or the like in front of every major office building in Toronto, so at least in larger cities that has become a standard piece of anti-terrorism infrastructure, so to speak. They could certainly make the P&M ones look nicer, although maybe there are liability issues if they don’t actually prevent people from wandering into the intersection.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 4:27 PM

One of the possible recommendations initially was to first just start with the N-S crossing on the east side from BMO to Richardson. Could easily start there and see what happens. It would have the least impact on traffic as Portage E is not very busy, and that is also the crossing that has the longest detour around the intersection to the next proper crossing.

With BMO moving out and MMF moving in it's probably the right time to look at that corner as well.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 4:56 PM

Almost every time I have stayed at the Fairmont there has been a street-level crossing of Portage Avenue East.

No one died.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 5:44 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavefromSt.Vital View Post
Almost every time I have stayed at the Fairmont there has been a street-level crossing of Portage Avenue East.

No one died.
Basically a must if headed to the Fairmont. Usually hard to find parking right on Portage E. I often grab street parking on pioneer or whatever and it's just easier to Jay walk right across from the hotel. If there was a crossing at p&m I think people would put in the extra 50 steps
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 6:10 PM
Formerly rypinion

The underground circus is closed* on evenings and weekends right now anyways, so the BMO <-> Richardson jaywalk is a must and extremely common.

* Seriously, don't manage to get stuck down there as you are _stuck_ down there.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 6:24 PM

There are intersections in all 4 directions from P&M where pedestrians cross. And there seems to be very little issue.

The argument from team closed is people should just spend the extra few minutes and walk to those locations. Or, people in their cars can't wait for an extra minute for people to cross the street. Never mind all the accessibility issues.

It's just one of these things that got bungled by City Hall. They did a bad job on getting all the facts out to people. Also social media is all about outrage culture. Any time the city want to change something. the Facebook NIMBY's go crazy. I need ma roads paved. They tuk r jobsss.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 6:51 PM

I crossed in front of the hotel yesterday afternoon. There was a guy sleeping in the deep hole in front of BOM. Portage Ave. East was busy. I'm not too fast and there is a bend so you can't see the cars for a second. I waited for the lights to change to green for traffic headed N and then crossed hoping for no right turners speeding.

I suppose I could have wheeled to the Nutty Club but the sidewalks and everything downtown is broken.

I was running around in circles trying to get to Hy's. I went to the Fairmont first. Decided it was the wrong way in their parking lot and didn't attempt to go through the construction. Big mistake. The elevator in the basement of the Richardson's building was broken so I went back to WS. I should have gone to Canwest? but i hate those lifts. Then I should have crossed at Fort and taken the long way around by Bannatyne to get to Hy's.

Blow the whole thing up, fill in the hole, and then allow crossing at Portage and Main.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 6:55 PM

P&M is the most egregious example of anti-pedestrian intersections in Winnipeg but I would also like to see pedestrian crossings in many other places in the city. I notice for instance that every single light on Pembina north of Bison (with one exception) is closed on one side which makes a pretty big difference to walkability (you often have to cross 3 times instead of once, and these are large intersections to cross, with long lights and fast traffic, and also slip lanes):

Pembina and Chancellor: https://www.google.com/maps/@49.8166...7i13312!8i6656.

Pembina and Plaza: https://www.google.com/maps/@49.8226...7i13312!8i6656

Pembina and McGillivray: https://www.google.com/maps/@49.8415...7i13312!8i6656

Pembina and Windermere: https://www.google.com/maps/@49.8481...7i13312!8i6656

Pembina and Stafford: https://www.google.com/maps/@49.8566...7i13312!8i6656

Pembina and Taylor: https://www.google.com/maps/@49.8588...7i13312!8i6656

Pembina and Grant: https://www.google.com/maps/@49.8648...7i13312!8i6656

Pembina and Garwood: https://www.google.com/maps/@49.8691...7i13312!8i6656

Pembina and Warsaw: https://www.google.com/maps/@49.8719...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavefromSt.Vital View Post

No one died.
I did that jaywalk almost every day for a year before COVID, it was super chill. Traffic is stopped when the N-S traffic has green lights on Main, and the only vehicles moving are NB Main right turning onto Portage E – and there's very little of that. There's not really much reason to make that turn unless you're going to the Fairmont or Richardson surface lots. That crossing being opened is a no brainer.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 7:19 PM

I think that turn would be restricted with the proposed plan that was floated. The curb at the SE corner would come way out. Access to that area would be from Pioneer/Westbrook. As you mentioned, there's no reason to be turning there.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2020, 4:18 AM

Hello everyone sorry I have be on here for a while.
I mean to update everyone soon. Portage and main is a hot mess right now I will be launching Portage and main website soon with all the past proposals and new designs plans

Old Posted Jul 10, 2020, 4:20 AM

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 3:53 AM

What do you think of this one ������

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 4:13 PM

What one?

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 4:05 PM

Here's some photos of the intersection in front of Richardson. It feels so nice and open, almost like a real street corner. The fencing is temporary as work isn't done, it seems like there will be some low profile planters going in there – my guess is similar to the ones along Portage. Clearly no barricades as there's a regular curb.

There are a LOT of benches, which won't get much use unless the corner is more activated. Who knows, maybe they'll open up CIBC and Hy's to the street or build that addition that floated around a while back haha.

Best part is that at the actual intersection it's wide open so easy to add crossing in future. I've heard the city will likely just put some planters there for now, likely the black ones that are everywhere. Will be interesting to see if Richardson tears down the other half next year – not quite sure what is/isn't the city's responsibility.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 4:48 PM

^ Nice.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 5:03 PM
Ignore these four words.

Thanks buzzg.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 5:53 PM

I drove by and the black fencing looks really nice. Could be a decent permanent solution to the barriers. That would still allow pedestrians to cross at certain times of the day.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan