HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Jun 3, 2014, 11:02 PM

MEMPHIS | Grand Hyatt at One Beale | 20 FLOORS

http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/n...the-table.html

http://www.onebeale.2dimes.com/

Figured since the One Beale tower was back on the table we could start up a new thread...

From Wikipedia:
Quote:
In December 2005, Gene Carlisle proposed a building at Beale Street and Riverside Drive in Downtown Memphis. The first phase of One Beale was a $150 million, 27 story condominium and hotel standing at 313 ft (95 m) tall. The tower was to feature 168 hotel rooms and 159 condos. The tower also featured 75,000 square feet (7,000 m2) of class A office space.

In August 2006, Gene Carlisle revised his proposal to include two towers. The Northern tower was to be a 30 stories tall and 436 ft (133 m) making it the tallest building in Memphis over 100 North Main which is 430 ft (130 m) tall. The southern tower was to be 27 stories tall. Together the proposal was for approximately 250 hotel rooms, 150 condos, 70,000 sq ft (6,500 m2) of Class A office space, and 70,000 sq ft (6,500 m2) of retail, commercial and meeting space. The plan was put on hold around 2009 due to the recession.

In June of 2014, the Carlisle Group revived the One Beale project following the recession which had halted the previous plan. Early indications show that the new proposal would only include offices and apartments with a likely redesign.
This is the original rendering:

And the most recent, revised rendering (two towers):

It is not known if these renderings will remain the same or be modified

Renderings courtesy of the Hnedak Bobo Group

Last edited by Urbannizer; Sep 8, 2022 at 9:09 AM.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2014, 12:04 AM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Thanks for making this thread, Trevor.

I was always a fan of the second rendering much more, but as I mentioned over in the Memphis Developments Thread I think that RJ will want their own stand alone tower that they won't necessarily have to share space with. That might drive the design to look a little more like the original rendering rather than the second rendering. I think the main determining factor will be the amount of residential units. If they're considering an amount close to the original tower then I think we'll get a decent height out of the design. In any case, I think we'll at least see 250' or taller.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2014, 3:00 PM

I guess leaving a hotel off is better as it gives Hard Rock or whoever a chance to build a high rise hotel on Beale. With the condos/apartments still there and the hotel gone but office space increasing immensely, I wouldn't expect it to be that far off from the original plan maybe even taller. My thinking now is if they are still going to do the two connected towers facing the river the offices will be in one with the residences in the other. I, would prefer if they just did one tall signature tower 40-50 floors but we know that's never going to happen.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2014, 5:38 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEMFLY View Post
I guess leaving a hotel off is better as it gives Hard Rock or whoever a chance to build a high rise hotel on Beale. With the condos/apartments still there and the hotel gone but office space increasing immensely, I wouldn't expect it to be that far off from the original plan maybe even taller. My thinking now is if they are still going to do the two connected towers facing the river the offices will be in one with the residences in the other. I, would prefer if they just did one tall signature tower 40-50 floors but we know that's never going to happen.
Yeah, I think it would be harder to build One Beale with the hotel in place because it would require a larger amount of financing and now this time around they can roll with just the office space and residential space with maybe some type of commercial space for a restaurant or two in the mix. I don't know if the need is really there for a high rise hotel, but something bringing 200 rooms or so in the 10 floor range could be possible eventually.

Like you said, I think that two separate towers is what they're going to roll with. The more I think about it they could go taller, as I said before it all depends on the amount of residential units, but I don't think there will be more residential units this time around than there was last time, especially if these are planned to be condo units. It will be hard for them to gauge the interest in the condo market downtown, IMO. I'm not for sure how many units they had pre-leased the first time around, but if I get time I'll try to look that up. I guess you could also consider the units that had been marketed in Trinity Tower and the Vue on Main. If those potential buyers are still interested in a condo downtown then One Beale might be looking pretty good on that front.

The key to all of this the budget of course and how risky Carlisle is willing to be on this project. The original proposal wasn't too risky, IMO, it just fell upon bad times due to the recession, but this time around to actually develop the project them might play it a bit safer.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2014, 8:49 PM

http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/n...ould-fund.html Getting funding ready for One Beale.

Quote:
Carlisle Corp. has agreed to sell 56 Wendy's fast-food restaurants for $58.2 million – possibly to fund development of the massive One Beale tower in Downtown Memphis.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2014, 9:05 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

^I imagine that if they're willing to sell that amount of Wendy's to gain that much capital then they're pretty serious about the progression of One Beale in the near future. I've always been under the impression that the operation/owning of those restaurants was one of their main business ventures, so this is pretty good for One Beale if that's in fact what they plan on using this money for.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2014, 9:51 PM

of the photos shown above, i would choose the next to the last set of photos as the nicest. first, i like the darker color, i like the shape and the wrap-around softening of the corners of the structure. if two towers are to be erected, w/ the lower section separating the middle, i favor the solid color, rather than different brick color and whatever kind of canopy structure attached to several of the versions.

the white material, imo, is distracting, doesn't make any architectural sense, nor does it give any beauty to the overall form, rather it distracts from it. the middle band on the black building, seeming held up by the posts, actually gives the illusion that makes the building appear to be shorter, as the eyes begin at the bottom of the structure, rise to---not quite 1/4th of the building and then continues upward. having the space separation of the middle roof up that high interrupts the eye movement either way coming from the ground rising to the extreme roof-line or vise verse.

should this building be 240' ft in ht, it won't look the part of a skyscraper. the horizon is about 201 ft, 16 stories. depending on the floor plates, lobby dimensions, mezzanine, etc., in order to have a building to top out the highest buildings down town, you would need to build the building approximately twice as high as what is shown in the photo, assuming we are beginning at 240'. most builders consider 90-100 ft a highrise. even if the building were to be built to 436 ft, the eye, when comparing the ht. to the 404ft bldg, will only perceive a very small vertical distance as they stand. i believe it takes a full 40 ft. to establish a significant difference in the ht of buildings such as these.

consequently, if mr. carlisle wants to establish a truly different look for the skyline, the building will have to clear the highest buildings in the cluster of the cbd. 475' will give most a view of the building, depending on the marcation of the vanishing point. depending on where you are standing, 100 n. main will allow for a view of the tops of the buildings, is you are near 2nd ave looking sw. at any rate, my choice is the black double tower, and i would think it would need to be over 500 ft+. one thing the building (s) will do is bridge a good deal of downtown to the south. i wish a developer would finish the 2nd horizon tower, and that would cluster 3 high rises at the bluff of the southend of downtown.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2014, 2:04 AM

^ I think remember reading on this forum a while ago that Carsline said they were laying low until the market recovered and when they came back the building would be striking, and skyline altering. ~ or something to that~ . Memphis is overdue for something above 500ft, and really overdue for something architecturally appealing.(Something other than box with windows)

Old Posted Jun 18, 2014, 2:15 AM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEMFLY View Post
^ I think remember reading on this forum a while ago that Carsline said they were laying low until the market recovered and when they came back the building would be striking, and skyline altering. ~ or something to that~ . Memphis is overdue for something above 500ft, and really overdue for something architecturally appealing.(Something other than box with windows)
I'm hoping that's the case, although most projects that were postponed during the recession came back somewhat scaled back compared to the original proposals. Apart from the residential portion of the proposal, quite a bit of space will be needed for RJ if they do indeed decide to relocate. Given that they probably want separate space from the residential component (and the size of the lot), 500'+ might be out of range, but I think that 400' or close to 400' isn't. Something architecturally interesting for sure is reasonable considering that the original design was pretty good, imo.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2014, 3:24 AM

this is only a rumor, and it was told to me that i should say it was a rumor, but i should wink after telling the info. i was told that the vue was coming back. that the originally approved plans would remain the same. too, i don't know if it will be known as trinity tower, but a high rise around adams and jefferson is going to be built. i have read twice before, once from the master plan over a year ago, that the trinity plan will sit at the top of the rise above danny thomas. that is the second time that i have heard this info, but the individual who told me is an executive w/ the medical center, ut, or the research center. if it is true, it goes along w/ the recommendation in the master plan and the statements made by the city mayor that one of the goals for downtown was to build more infill from danny thomas to the start of the medical center. that infill will also include some highrises and a plan which works in the victorian village. i hope this is good info, as it seems that several highrises have just bitten the dust near that area.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2014, 4:47 AM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchef View Post
this is only a rumor, and it was told to me that i should say it was a rumor, but i should wink after telling the info. i was told that the vue was coming back. that the originally approved plans would remain the same. too, i don't know if it will be known as trinity tower, but a high rise around adams and jefferson is going to be built. i have read twice before, once from the master plan over a year ago, that the trinity plan will sit at the top of the rise above danny thomas. that is the second time that i have heard this info, but the individual who told me is an executive w/ the medical center, ut, or the research center. if it is true, it goes along w/ the recommendation in the master plan and the statements made by the city mayor that one of the goals for downtown was to build more infill from danny thomas to the start of the medical center. that infill will also include some highrises and a plan which works in the victorian village. i hope this is good info, as it seems that several highrises have just bitten the dust near that area.
That's pretty much impossible. There's too many factors that would dictate the design not being the same, mainly the site since Barboro Flats is there now, unless they meant "the same" as in 20-30 floors, residential, and parking.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2014, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchef View Post
Ok so your saying in the area of where Jefferson and Adams meet Danny Thomas parkway, and the building would be the same as http://assets.bizjournals.com/story_...3212-0-0-2.jpg ... along with somemore highrises...

Old Posted Jun 19, 2014, 8:05 PM

Interesting quote about Beale One. This makes me think that Beale One will be completely redesigned from original plans and even bigger/taller than previously planned. This could be the long overdue skyscraper that Memphis' skyline has dreamed of for decades. 50 stories maybe?

“They are committed to doing something spectacular with that property,” said Morris. “It is such as valuable piece of property, and the Carlisles know that and they don’t want to put just anything there, they want to put something spectacular there.”

The company is moving forward with plans to develop a towering, mixed-use project featuring offices and apartments."" http://www.memphisdailynews.com/news...back-on-track/

Old Posted Jun 19, 2014, 8:37 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsvillenative View Post
Interesting quote about Beale One. This makes me think that Beale One will be completely redesigned from original plans and even bigger/taller than previously planned. This could be the long overdue skyscraper that Memphis' skyline has dreamed of for decades. 50 stories maybe?
50 might be a little high, but that would be nice. I think around 25-30 or so would probably be close. Just my opinion thought.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2014, 9:14 PM

I'll take anything over 20 floors by this point. The skyline is good the first time you see it...but it quickly gets boring and very outdated. When One Beale really gets off the ground and especially if The Vue comes back (doubtful), it could mean a big change for not only the skyline, but the city as a whole.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2014, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkitekte View Post
50 might be a little high, but that would be nice. I think around 25-30 or so would probably be close. Just my opinion thought.
25-30 wouldn't make it stand out as a 40-50 story tower would.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2014, 9:30 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsvillenative View Post
25-30 wouldn't make it stand out as a 40-50 story tower would.
Any new tower would stand out.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2014, 9:28 PM

the way the vue building is shown places it on a east to west direction in downtown. the street is union or one over from union. the tower was originally shown next to the educational building of first u.m. church. however, it now is proposed to rest in the left corner of the st. mary's parking lot, which would be relatively close to the wyndham. i wonder if st. mary's, which has a large number of communicants from the neighborhood and from st. jude, will sell the parking lot, or part of that corner, build a parking deck, and have some cash left over to finish their recent renovations. i have catholic roots, so we could get a bunch together, and go to the mother church and get that big hat and ring away from the right rev stieb, lol. seriously, st. mary's needs parking, but i brought up this proposal about selling just enough of the corner lot for the trinity, and trinity could build a good deal of its parking under the building and as their parking garage. st. mary's had even entertained moving their parish, but i think that caused a big uproar, because of the historic value to the neighborhood, catholism in memphis, and some of the sacred relics that apparently could not be removed from the present structure. some of it has to do w/ the bell tower, the location of the baptismal font, and other things---oh, something really important to the whole negotiations has to do w/ the historic bricks, made by communicants, slaves or the relatives of forner slaves, and the production of the bricks and their making---formed and blocked in wood forms and sun dried. they would not stand up to a move of the building, should they have chosen that option.

this is one of the things i like so much about this forum. i believe something along the lines of how this forum is set up would be a wonderful way to teach children and older students about their history, their city, state, etc., but their is so much you can learn about other subjects.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2014, 11:36 PM

ONE BEALE IS BACK!

http://www.carlislecorp.com/one-beale/

Quote:
“One Beale will be an iconic building for the city of Memphis, one that reflects where our city has been and where we are going. People and cities define themselves by their buildings, and One Beale will reshape the Memphis urban experience.”

-Gene Carlisle
Chairman & Founder

Old Posted Dec 19, 2014, 11:37 PM

-Edited because VSRJ (barely) beat me to it!-

New renderings look nice! I actually like them better than the old ones. Hopefully more information coming out soon (Monday?).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals