HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jul 6, 2013, 12:11 AM

That vaulted skylight is amazing Chuckaluck. Any interior views?

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jul 6, 2013 at 12:34 AM.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2013, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
That vaulted skylight is amazing Chuckaluck. Any interior views?

__
Some sources state much of the building, including lights and the skylight are still there. Some pictures suggest another story.

Skylight appears to be Skydark (Works best at night!)
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2280/2...159312db_b.jpg

http://farm1.staticflickr.com/23/335...84081bfd_o.jpg

Last edited by Chuckaluck; Jul 6, 2013 at 12:47 AM.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2013, 12:37 AM

Well that's disappointing. It's never a good sign when a skylight is painted over.

And what is that utility box over the round window? That seems rather asinine.

detail
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jul 6, 2013 at 12:55 AM.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2013, 4:19 AM

LA County General Hospital

Wandering around on my lunch break, took a couple pictures in the lobby of one of the buildings I now help maintain:

old LAC+USC Hospital Lobby

The old building is no longer used for medical services. Believe it or not, most of it above the 4th floor is empty. I'll see if I can get some pictures later with a better camera than the one on my phone.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2013, 5:33 AM
BANNED

The old hospital building

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Aug 12, 2013 at 4:59 AM.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2013, 6:23 AM

Double Bow Knot Blvd. then and now

As I mentioned a few days ago, I found the remnants of Double Bow Knot Boulevard in Lookout Mountain Park, just a short walk from where I live. 3940dxer had posted the following postcard view at page 325 of this thread without being able to identify where this street was:

Here is a current view I took a couple of days ago from about the same place:

As you can see, 100 years of vegetation serves to block the clear sight lines seen in the postcard. But particularly telling, I think, is the shape of the hill in the middle distance separating Lookout Mountain Avenue (on the near side) from Stanley Hills Drive (on the far side). Laurel Canyon can be distantly seen in the left-center of both views.

On foot, you can follow the switchbacks of Double Bow Knot Boulevard down to lower Crescent Drive (would not advise street shoes for this, though).

Double Bow Knot Boulevard was an important street for the developers, as it led from Laurel Canyon to Wulff's Peak - the high point in this part of the Hollywood Hills which was a tourist destination in early twentieth century . This land was sold in 1913 by the Lookout Mountain Park, Land, and Water Company to E.L. Doheny and is in the northern-most extremity of the City of Beverly Hills. Today, it is occupied by water tanks at the end of Walker Drive.

The LA Times of 21 August 1913 stated:

"Wulff's Peak, which presents a rugged and precipitous face to the mesa that spreads south from the mountain range, is accessible by a paved roadway that wends through the picturesque Laurel Canyon and Wonderland Valley and climbs the mountain sides in a double bowknot in a 5% grade. The route is familiar to thousands of automobilists who have traversed it to gain the splendid view which it affords of the surrounding country."

"The 'Belvedere of America' is a term which has been aptly applied to the peak, from which Doheny cannot only survey every part of his ranch, but obtain vistas which are comparable to those of the famed counterpart in Europe. From Wulff's Peak one can see on a clear day far to the east, Monrovia and Santa Ana. To the west, beyond the mountain range, is spread out the vast expanse of the sea and the Channel Islands, far off shore, may be sighted. On the north lies the beautiful San Fernando Valley, which spreads out in a grand panorama to the horizon and the higher mountains."

In the next few weeks I hope to add to and clarify what has already been posted by 3940dxer about this area.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2013, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Tom Bergin's Old Horseshoe Tavern

840 So. Fairfax just south of Wilshire

I found this postcard on Tuesday, and today I found out it is closing after 77 years!

http://blogs.laweekly.com/squidink/2...losing_fai.php
__

Sad news. I spent many a pleasant evening here over the years. One of my favorite LA time machines.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2013, 3:04 PM

The passing of Tom Bergin's made me think of LA's few remaining "noir" restaurants.

Musso and Frank
Phillipe
Cole's
Pacific Dining Car
Tam O'Shanter
Miceli's
HMS Bounty
The Prince
Smokehouse
Taix
The Galley
Chez Jay
Buggy Whip
Billingsley's
Taylor's (where my wife and I went on our first date and where I later officially proposed to her)

Old Posted Jul 6, 2013, 3:32 PM

Thanks for the list Blaster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorendoc View Post
On foot, you can follow the switchbacks of Double Bow Knot Boulevard down to lower Crescent Drive (would not advise street shoes for this, though).

Double Bow Knot Boulevard was an important street for the developers, as it led from Laurel Canyon to Wulff's Peak - the high point in this part of the Hollywood Hills which was a tourist destination in early twentieth century . This land was sold in 1913 by the Lookout Mountain Park, Land, and Water Company to E.L. Doheny and is in the northern-most extremity of the City of Beverly Hills. Today, it is occupied by water tanks at the end of Walker Drive.

The LA Times of 21 August 1913 stated:

"Wulff's Peak, which presents a rugged and precipitous face to the mesa that spreads south from the mountain range, is accessible by a paved roadway that wends through the picturesque Laurel Canyon and Wonderland Valley and climbs the mountain sides in a double bowknot in a 5% grade. The route is familiar to thousands of automobilists who have traversed it to gain the splendid view which it affords of the surrounding country."
You lined up the mountains perfectly in your comparison pic. Lorendoc.

Since you mentioned Wulff's Peak I thought you would like to see this detail from an 1895 AD I found at http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=14206

I was quite surprised by the proposed scenic railroad.
__

Old Posted Jul 6, 2013, 3:36 PM

Lorendoc, I also had this in a file but hadn't posted it yet.

Is that a bow knot in the center?
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jul 6, 2013 at 4:23 PM.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2013, 3:45 PM
BANNED

Nostalgic restaurants

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Aug 12, 2013 at 5:00 AM.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2013, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
Good list Blaster and might the:

Original Pantry Cafe,

877 S Figueroa St
Los Angeles, CA 90017
Neighborhood: Downtown

be added to this list?
The Pantry, definitely.
I purposely left out places like Pink's, Pann's, Apple Pan etc. in favor of the darker, smokier noir-like restaurants.
Speaking of Pink's...
In the early 80's, I shared a house on Martel around the corner from El Coyote and the Spanish Kitchen. You could still peer through the clouded windows of the Spanish Kitchen and see the place just as it had been abandoned years before. The tablecloths were still on the tables along with plates and silverware. It was eerie.
The Pan Pacific Auditorium was nearby, still standing but derelict. However, the movie theater in front still operated and featured second-run movies.
But back to Pink's...
My landlords on Martel were a nice elderly couple named Paul and Betty Pink, the original purveyors of Pink's Hot Dogs who had grown the business from a cart on the street.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2013, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbange View Post
Wandering around on my lunch break, took a couple pictures in the lobby of one of the buildings I now help maintain:

old LAC+USC Hospital Lobby

The old building is no longer used for medical services. Believe it or not, most of it above the 4th floor is empty. I'll see if I can get some pictures later with a better camera than the one on my phone.
jbange, I was totally surprised the building is mostly empty now. Are there any plans to renovate it? I'm looking forward to seeing more photos.

Detail of the lobby ceiling in 1932. Are those circular lights or ornamentation? (either way, they're beautiful)

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/se.../nosort/page/1

Does the vestibule still have these mural/mosaics?

I believe this is the same entrance as in your photograph jbange. -circa 1932

I am glad someone is maintaining this grand old building. Keep up the good work.
__

Old Posted Jul 6, 2013, 6:48 PM

This wonderful thread never ceases to delight and AMAZE!

Thanks so much to all that contribute.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2013, 7:30 AM

Lookout Mountain Inn fire

Hi e_r, thank you for the posts of the imaginary railroad up Wulff's peak and the new view of Double Bow Knot Boulevard. I will study them carefully.

For now, I'd like to share a non-LA Times newspaper article covering the fire that consumed the Lookout Mountain Inn on Saturday, October 26, 1918.

In 1918, LA had many newspapers, morning and evening. There was a basic duopoly between the Chandler interests (the Times) and the Hearst interests (the Examiner (morning) and the Express (evening). These were all very conservative and could be relied on to be dependably anti-communist and solidly republican.

From the Los Angeles Examiner of October 27, 1918:

BIG BRUSH FIRE DESTROYS INN
Great Blaze, Started by Boys, does $15,000 damage; 10,000 acres [16 square miles] laid waste

[$15,000 in 1918 is worth about $250,000 today]

Fanned by a west wind and with a roar and crackling that at times could be heard for miles, a vicious brush fire, pouring columns of smoke into the sky, yesterday [Saturday] afternoon ate its fiery way over 10,000 [sic] acres of mountain and glen north of Sherman [West Hollywood], causing at least $15,000 damage.

The famous Lookout Inn, celebrated for its chicken dinners, is a smoldering mass of ruins.

Ponet Canyon, directly north of Sherman, is swept clean of verdure.

West Laurel Canyon also was burned out on both sides almost to Laurel Canyon [I think that this might be the Kirkwood Bowl - L].

South Laurel Canyon also was burned about half way to its entrance on the north side of the ridge.

The ridges of the mountains were swept clean by the rush of the flames.

Power and telephone lines were destroyed.

No one was hurt so far as could be ascertained. Lieut. W.A. Burns of Los Angeles Engine Company 35 had a narrow escape when he fell through the ceiling of the Lookout Inn, losing his scaling ladder and escaping from a window with his hair singed, but otherwise uninjured.

A boy employed in the hotel was overcome by smoke, but soon was revived. No buildings of consequence except the hotel were lost.

Boys cooking, start fire

The fire is said to have been started by some boys out on a hike cooking a meal about 10 o'clock in the morning at the foot of Ponet Canyon, near Sherman hill. The blaze started to get away from them. They fought it with the aid of some men from a nearby ranch and after it had burned over several hundred yards of territory and was supposed to be out, the boys left badly scared.

At about 12:30 the flames broke out again and urged by stiff breeze blowing from the ocean swept their way up Ponet canyon, destroying about 80 cords of firewood, and slowly but surely creeping toward Lookout Inn on the crest.

J.H. Hartwick, lesee of the hotel, sent out frantic calls for help, while his employees sought to remove as much of the furniture as possible from the structure. But before Engine Company No. 35 from Los Angeles arrived the structure had caught fire. No water was available.

Soon the two-story building of about 24 rooms was a seething mass of flames and the fiery line had spread down into the West Canyon below. The bandstand and pavilion also were destroyed.

Hartwick estimated his loss at $1700 on the contents, with $700 insurance. The building, said to be worth about $10,000, was owned by the Lookout Park and Water Company of Los Angeles.

LA Firemen Fight Blaze

By this time fire fighters were arriving. Hose company No. 4 from Los Angeles were soon on the job, fighting in the brush. Firemen from Hollywood, volunteers from Sherman and any men from Hollywood and Los Angeles came adn took up the fight.

United States Forest Supervisor R. H. Charlton made a record run from Long Beach to the scene to find Roy Vercler, chief forest warden for the Laurel Canyon Protective Association, Charles S. Mann, J. Herman Aagard and Walter Benedict in charge of the situation. Every man arriving on the scene was immediately requisitioned and soon back fires were started.

Finally, a back fire started on the ridge between the South and West Laurel Canyons held, and here the blaze was halted.

Last night a gang of men patrolled the smoking hills to make sure the fire did not get another start.

Supervisor Charlton will make a rigid inquiry into the cause of the fire, and he proposes to make an example of those who are at fault.

The sheriff's office when notified sent a number of fighters to the scene.

I will post an article from the Los Angeles Sunday Express about the fire in a bit. 3940dxer had posted the Los Angeles Times coverage at about page 325 of this thread. I will try to see if I can positively identify Ponet Canyon, and South Canyon and West Canyon.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2013, 3:05 PM

I have spent many many hours of my life looking at this exact view... This is a great shot. I can see plates with bread and coleslaw towards the end of the counter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
Good list Blaster

Original Pantry Cafe,

Old Posted Jul 7, 2013, 8:57 PM

Quote:
jbange, I was totally surprised the building is mostly empty now. Are there any plans to renovate it?
The orange cones and plastic sheeting in my picture marks where they've blocked off access for asbestos abatement. They're renovating it for administrative offices. The hospital itself sustained too much damage in the 94 Northridge quake to retain its hospital certification. Really, it's just as well. The facility is horribly outdated. The new hospital is so much better as a hospital... but it has absolutely no style whatsoever. All the maintenance guys say that if there's an earthquake, they want to be in the old County General building. It may have substantial earthquake damage preventing it from being a hospital, but it will never fall down!

Quote:
Does the vestibule still have these mural/mosaics?
Yes, but they're in pretty bad condition. They're quite faded and in some spots are peeling off.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2013, 9:08 PM

Thanks jbange. The vestibule is still stunning. The iron-work design framing the doors (on the right) are really interesting.
Is that a tiny figurine in the center of the metal ornament above the doors?

Old Posted Jul 7, 2013, 9:22 PM

1958 and 1973 respectively

ebay

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos