HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 5:45 PM

Brandstatter's Cafe Montmartre (I kept it large so you can see all the details. facial expressions-table tops-etc.)

ebay

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Feb 15, 2014 at 6:04 PM.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 5:56 PM

ebay

detail/a couple interesting signs down the street. I can't quite read the name of the market in the distance.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
This picture seems vaguely familiar, but I've searched the thread for "pigeon hole" and "pigeonhole", and found nothing. Is that a '53 Buick just going in? (Let the argument commence ).

Ebay

Some more pictures from LAPL with captions taken straight from that site:

Pigeon Hole Garage.
Under construction at Wilshire and Flower is a six-story garage in which an elevator will lift automobiles to the desired floor and park them in "pigeon hole" stalls. Blue Diamond Corp. is furnishing materials for the structure scheduled to open late next month. Photo dated: September 8, 1953.

LAPL

Downtown Pigeon Hole Parking Garage dedicated.
City councilman Ed Roybal (arrow) speaks during the dedication for the Pigeon Hole Parking Garage (background) located at 644 South Flower Street, at the intersection with Wilshire Blvd. The new type garage was built by Standard Stations, Inc. A hydraulic lift picks up a car and carries it to a parking space. Photo dated: November 5, 1953.

LAPL

Parking garage, downtown.
View of the fully-automated Pigeon Hole Parking Garage located at 644 S. Flower (at Wilshire). Photo dated: November 7, 1953.

LAPL

Pigeon Hole Garage car elevator.
A man controls the elevator that lift automobiles to the desired floor and parks them in "pigeon hole" stalls at the Pigeon Hole Parking Garage located at 644 South Flower St. Photo dated: November 7, 1953.

LAPL

Is this one solution for the parking problem?
The fully-automated Pigeon Hole Parking Garage at 644 S. Flower (at Wilshire) may be the answer for solving the parking shortage. Photo dated: July 13, 1965.

LAPL

Further reading on la.curbed:

Downtown Did Automated Parking Garages in the 20s and 50s
I can't believe they only have a six inch curb 5 story's up, I wonder how many hopped the Curb?

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
The search function for 'cordova' came up empty.
Have you all noticed the search function only searches 100 posts at most?
Is there, perhaps, a function setting to go beyond that I don't know about?

Quote:
Brandstatter's Cafe Montmartre.
Thanks for that, there doesn't seem to be a great many photos of the Cafe Montmartre, perhaps because it wasn't street level, it was on the second floor, above what is now the Hollywood Wax Museum (not to be confused with Tussaud's) and the Snow White Coffee Shop, both of which have been there for decades.

There's a "Hollywood Historic Marker" on Hollywood Blvd. in front of this location detailing some info (like Bing Crosby started out in Hollywood performing there) and also a photograph of it, but it's too high up to see any details.

Last I knew it's currently a theater space.

Last edited by Martin Pal; Feb 15, 2014 at 7:40 PM.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 8:07 PM

Quote:
ebay

I can't quite read the name of the market in the distance.
To me, the sign looks like "EL MONTE PUBLIC MARKET".

I noticed that the photo is being sold by the same Ebay vendor as the McDaniel's Midnight Market photo that you posted recently.

Quote:
ebay
After comparing the two pictures, I think they're the same building. Both photos are from 1938, and the buildings have the same open design. Additionally, both have multiple hanging scales, large white price tickets, crates/stands to the sidewalk and similar awnings. The design of the protruding part of the McDaniel's sign seems to match the portion to the left of the windmill in the first picture. Finally, the glass enclosure(?) at the far right of the store looks the same in both photos, and both stores have a hanging neon sign that reads "VEGETABLES".

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 8:44 PM

I think HossC is correct.

Another thing...the two guys working in the store don't really look Chinese to me either. If I had to guess, I would say they were Filipinos. Maybe back in the 1930's everyone just got lumped in together.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 9:44 PM

-great detective work HossC! I would have never guessed they were photographs of the same building.
__

A handsome couple enjoying a night out at Ciro's.

April 1953
ebay

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 10:05 PM

Quote:
I thought this 'modern' Egyptian Theater was a different theater than Grauman's original Egyptian until I spotted the 'Pig N' Whistle' building
on the right. (the slide is dated 1966)

slide/ebay

The Egyptian Theater in 1942. The original design has already been altered.

http://www.lapl.org/

The theater has been restored to it's original design by American Cinematheque.

gsv
__
The theater has been restored to it's original design by American Cinematheque.

So has the Pig N' Whistle, too, it appears. Since it is currently there, I did not know that at one time it had closed and opened as something else...at least once, as in the 1966 photo which shows it as the "Masters Mart."

By the way, the American Cinematheque "restored" the exterior design, but not the interior which was decidedly "remodeled."

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
Have you all noticed the search function only searches 100 posts at most?
Is there, perhaps, a function setting to go beyond that I don't know about?
Martin, I don't use the forum search function anymore since it always seemed a bit hit and miss. I find it easier to use a Google site search. The method below has appeared in this thread a couple of times previously, but, ironically, it proves to be a hard term to search for, so I can't credit the original poster(s).

Just copy/paste this line into Google and change the last word. For e_r's search you would try something like:

Code:
site:http://forum.skyscraperpage.com noirish cordova
You can vary the pattern a little by adding extra keywords at the end, or search for compound terms by adding quotes, eg.:

Code:
site:http://forum.skyscraperpage.com noirish "hotel cordova"
You'll probably get multiple results for the same post/page, but it works for me. It's not 100% perfect, but it's better than the forum search.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 11:02 PM

Appreciate the info, HossC.
(Also the BUBLITCHKI post!)

Quote:

Quote:
Brandstatter's Cafe Montmartre.
Thanks for that photo, e_r, there doesn't seem to be a great many of the Cafe Montmartre, perhaps because it wasn't street level, it was on the second floor, above what is now the Hollywood Wax Museum (not to be confused with Tussaud's) and the Snow White Coffee Shop, both of which have been there for decades.

There's a "Hollywood Historic Marker" on Hollywood Blvd. in front of this location detailing some info (like Bing Crosby started out in Hollywood performing there) and also a photograph of it, but it's too high up to see any details.

Last I knew it's currently a theater space.

http://stellaadleralifeinart.wordpre...ivided-legacy/

Here's a photo of the entrance to where the Cafe Montmartre was located and it's now the Stella Adler Academy and Theatres. You can see the other two places I mentioned above and also a Hollywood Historic Marker for the iconic bank building on the corner of Hollywood & Highland that is right next door…the marker I talked about is just a few feet up the sidewalk, but you can see what I’m referring to. There are many of these on the boulevard.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 11:10 PM

I found these two interesting, but somewhat confusing construction postcards a while back.

ebay

detail/Margaret Illington?

reverse

2nd postcard
ebay

reverse

At first I thought the postcards depicted the construction of the Brownstein-Louis Building at 751 S. Figueroa Street
covered by Flyingwedge here http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=12197, and shown below.

USC/originally posted by Flyingwedge

..until I learned it was constructed in 1920.

I googled a bit and found out there is a Brownstein Building at 722 S. Los Angeles Street built 1911 and a Louis Stores Building next door
at 724 S. Los Angeles Street built 1912. (both were designed by Arthur Angel)

Are these the buildings in the postcards, or did Brownstein-Louis Co. have a factory down in Vernon or some other locale?

http://www.you-are-here.com/downtown/brownstein.html
__

The construction postcards also mention 'Home of Strongholds'.
We first met Stronghold Steve about a year ago courtesy of Flyingwedge.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=13409
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Feb 15, 2014 at 11:28 PM.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 11:36 PM

I still have a few months of posts to go before I’m caught up to where I first started last fall.
I came across this post of e_r’s from a year ago:

Quote:
The multistory The Players Supper Club on Sunset Boulevard.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...&postcount=926

The Players building today.

gsv

below: looking a bit forlorn. The Chateau Marmont is visible on the right.

gsv
__
The gsv shots of this location were of the closed MIYAGI restaurant’s exterior.

However, those gsv shots posted in January 2013 were at least a few months old then because on Memorial Day weekend of May, 2012, this place opened as the second Los Angeles location of the PINK TACO restaurant & bar.

Examiner

Three photos of the interiors:

Built Inc.

Built Inc.

Built Inc.

More at this link:
http://www.builtinc.com/?p=919

The first Pink Taco is located in Century City, formerly the site of "Houston's."

It makes me wonder what the interior of The Players Club looked liked.

A short history of that location:

The Players Club (1940 - 1953)
Imperial Gardens (1953 - 1989)
The Roxbury (1989? - 1997)
Miyagi’s (? - 2008)
Pink Taco (2012 - ?)

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 11:59 PM

Using HossC.'s search suggestion, I do see that the new incarnation of The Player's Club was mentioned later on.

A few more relevant posts:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=11816
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=12046
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=18732

Old Posted Feb 16, 2014, 12:57 AM

Quote:
A short history of that location:

The Players Club (1940 - 1953)
Imperial Gardens (1953 - 1989)
The Roxbury (1989? - 1997)
Miyagi’s (? - 2008)
Pink Taco (2012 - ?)
This is a helpful list Martin Pal. It opens up new search possibilities.

That said, Pink Taco is the worst name ever.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2014, 2:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudry View Post
Finally caught up on the last few months' worth -- so much to comment on and add to. While I catch my breath, I'll just throw something onto the "survivor's pile," from a piece of letterhead. Letterhead is overlooked and underutilized (at least in my personal research) but often features depictions of commercial/industrial buildings that were likely never photographed.

For example, here's a typical piece found while noodling about on the eBay:

ebay

The lithography is always handsome and the vintage typefonts don't hurt either.

And what of our friend, 3446 S Hill? According to assessor's records, it was built in 1921, and according to Facebook it's most recently been a club called The Well. Sadly, it no longer has a vintage tractor sitting outside:

Beaudry, I agree that letterheads and billheads can fill in many blanks in a city's history. (your before/after shown above is excellent)

Here's a billhead I came across earlier today. It's dated 1907.

After a brief search, I believe the building in the billhead was either replaced by the south tower of the Rosslyn Hotel
or the parking garage next door.

-while searching, I noticed this old sign on the Rosslyn Hotel South. (I can't quite decipher it)

detail/GSV
__

Old Posted Feb 16, 2014, 5:11 AM

Quote:
Beaudry, I agree that letterheads and billheads can fill in many blanks in a city's history. (your before/after shown above is excellent)

Here's a billhead I came across earlier today. It's dated 1907.

After a brief search, I believe the building in the billhead was either replaced by the south tower of the Rosslyn Hotel
or the parking garage next door.

-while searching, I noticed this old sign on the Rosslyn Hotel South. (I can't quite decipher it)

detail/GSV
__
Sunlan

Old Posted Feb 16, 2014, 5:20 AM

Quote:
Brandstatter's Cafe Montmartre (I kept it large so you can see all the details. facial expressions-table tops-etc.)

ebay
There is a brief scene in Fatty Arbuckle's 1925 film, The Movies, that shows the interior of Cafe Montmartre. It was directed by William Goodrich (Fatty's sobriquet after his trials).

Old Posted Feb 16, 2014, 7:04 AM
BANNED

Rock n Roll ...

Here is America's most perfect family of the 1950s....the Nelsons. In this picture we see the the family in their Hollywood home... Ozzie, Harriet, David and Ricky watching a B/W TV and having some milk in the family den. Its really hard to believe but they're all gone now.

Perfect family? Well maybe not but that was the illusion and we loved it.

NBC TV
1822 Camino Palmero Street, Hollywood, CA
LA., O

Old Posted Feb 16, 2014, 9:23 AM

Quote:

detail/GSV
The Sunlan sign was discussed just over two years ago. 3940dxer posted the picture below, and GW filled in the background.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3940dxer View Post

Old sign on the southeast corner of the south building, along Main Street. It reads Sunlan something Mens Wear something something. Any clues? (BTW, this is now a very raunchy section of Main Street.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
Sunlan was a small chain of men's hat shops--so the top faded word must be "HATS".... I'm struck by the pristine lamppost and the decrepit sign.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2014, 3:59 PM

One thing leads to another, and back.... I'm out in the desert and have been trying to avoid LA altogether, both the city itself and on the computer. But just when I thought I was out, it pulls me back in.... I happened to look out of my window and noticed the name on the roof tiles. There have been mentions of the L.A. Pressed Brick Co. on the thread over the years--here's a great ad, one especially interesting as it shows the Hall of Justice, due to reopen this year, under construction 90 years ago.

LA Times, Aug 17, 1924

As for the roof tiles seen above... they're atop the Mead-Untermyer house, now a hotel called The Willows in Palm Springs. As I was reading a little of the hotel's history (check it out here), the name "William Mead" rang a bell... so I dug back into NLA and came up with this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post

Los Angeles Times, April 6, 1913

Real estate developer William Mead is described in some bios as once having owned all the land north of Los Feliz Blvd from Western Avenue east to the river.
Mead seems to have hired only the top L.A. architects of the day to design houses for his tract. Mead himself may or may not have lived in either the Luckenbach
house or the one in the drawing above, which still stands at 4533 Cockerham Drive:

GoogleSV

Some more shots of the house are here. (Prepare yourself for a major tackfest, at least indoors.)

The Hay house described in the article above seems to be none other than our own Garden of Allah. We may well have written of the origins of the GoA on the thread before, but LACurbed commenter John Ponder has this description: "Originally named Hayvenhurst, it was built for $30,000 in 1913 by William H. Hay, developer of the Crescent Heights neighborhood, which was bounded by Sunset and Santa Monica blvds, to the north and south, Fairfax (then called Crescent Ave.) to the east and Havenhurst (originally spelled "Hayvenhurst") to the west. Hay and his second wife lived in Hayvenhurst briefly before building an even grander home down the street (where the Directors Guild building is now) and then finally retiring to a large house at 4400 Havenhurst Drive in Encino, another neighborhood Hay owned and developed. After the Hays moved out, Hayvenhurst stood empty for a few years before Alla Nazimova acquired it, including during World War I, when the Hays allowed the Red Cross to use it as its Westside headquarters. Nazimova ... leased Hayvenhurst in November 1917.... She purchased it outright for $65,000 in August 1918. "

Hay was listed in the 1915 city directory at 8258 Sunset.

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; Jul 7, 2014 at 6:27 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos