HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Nov 12, 2020, 3:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
So we know RTD is a complete dumpster fire but what is next for transit in Denver? Colfax BRT? L Line extension from 30th & Downing to 38th & Blake? None of these are transformative for our city and region.
Timely question as the DBJ recently ran an article relative to RTD's more immediate future.

New RTD leader addresses finances and route prioritization issues
Nov 9, 2020 By Ed Sealover – Senior Reporter, Denver Business Journal

Glossing over the needless rehash and getting down to current business:
Quote:
Johnson said several times during her inaugural media briefing that her decisions will be guided by a need to optimize the fleet and personnel that RTD has. That includes studying whether it has the optimal amount of trains ... and assessing the trade-offs between focusing service on subsidized transit-dependent riders and waning suburban riders who tend to pay 100% of their assessed fare-box costs.

That question is a key one for both downtown employers and those who have chosen to location along transit lines in suburban communities like Lone Tree. Such companies depend on RTD both to bring workers from lower-cost suburbs into the core urban area and to transport workers to more far-flung areas without forcing them into interstate traffic congestion — and in a time of budget cuts, such needs sometimes can be pitted against each other.
Tell us something compelling.
Quote:
“We do have different elements of service, and some of it is core service,” Johnson said. “I think what we need to do is assess the optimal service delivery model … to maximize the assets that we do have and to balance tradeoffs.”
Wow, now I'm excited; wait... what does this even mean?

Old Posted Nov 12, 2020, 3:28 AM

Colfax BRT

PLANSIT is welcome to correct, clarify or even update us but AFAIK, the Colfax BRT is going through the final NEPA process to quality for an FTA grant which should be a no-brainer.

Towards this goal there was some money in the Elevate Denver Bond money for this.

I found an update as of Aug 13, 2020.

https://www.denvergov.org/content/de...olfax-brt.html
Quote:
DENVER - The City and County of Denver is taking important steps forward on its Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) project, which will help move more people, more efficiently on East Colfax Avenue. Denver has selected Parsons Transportation Group to complete the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) process and preliminary design for the project following an evaluation of proposals that were submitted by shortlisted consultants this spring. The City will now enter negotiations with the consultant and expects to bring a contract to Denver City Council for approval this fall.

To date, Denver has secured $55M in funds for the East Colfax BRT through the Elevate Denver Bond Program...
The City of Denver is primarily responsible for funding the this project and whatever additional monies needed have not been identified. I suspect an additional $50 million plus in funding will be needed.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2020, 4:34 AM
ColoRADo

As mentioned, Colfax BRT is moving through preliminary engineering and environmental clearance to compete for FTA Small Starts funding.

Next in line is probably Federal Boulevard which is currently in Alternatives Analysis and conceptual design phase. Next step would be Design/NEPA, but no funding is currently identified for that phase.

Both are CCD efforts, but are in RTD’s Regional BRT Feasibility Study.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2020, 3:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLANSIT View Post
As mentioned, Colfax BRT is moving through preliminary engineering and environmental clearance to compete for FTA Small Starts funding.

Next in line is probably Federal Boulevard which is currently in Alternatives Analysis and conceptual design phase. Next step would be Design/NEPA, but no funding is currently identified for that phase.

Both are CCD efforts, but are in RTD’s Regional BRT Feasibility Study.
So no new rail lines even in discussion for the near or distant future? As much as I'd like to see an intercity line I don't see the political will for it with the current state of affairs at RTD.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
So no new rail lines even in discussion for the near or distant future? As much as I'd like to see an intercity line I don't see the political will for it with the current state of affairs at RTD.
There's always things being planned... but yeah, in the near term it's hard to see funding intercity rail.

FWIW:

Pelosi's $3.4 Trillion Dem Heroes Act was substantially designed to rescue Blue State urban centers. Republicans laughed.

Presently, Transit systems are a financial 'train wreck' - especially in NE cities. With Denver RTD, at least they have the ability to right-size the service.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 10:05 PM

Does anyone have any insight into if or when RTD will restore regular intervals on lines like the G and B lines? According to an article posted on April 8th (https://www.denverpost.com/2020/04/0...ovid-b-g-line/), RTD dropped its headways to 30 minutes from 15 minutes prior to the pandemic on the B and G line. The A line to the airport apparently still runs at 15 minutes.

I understand the difficult position that RTD is in with the pandemic: lower ridership and subsequently lower revenue. It's a vicious cycle.

However, I am currently looking to buy a home in a transit-oriented development along the G line. Part of their marketing material for the new development heavily features the proximity to the train, and thus, the proximity to downtown and beyond. However, in my mind I have some long-term concerns about the viability of the commuter lines. Nobody knows how the pandemic will reshape the workforce (more work from home meaning less people commuting in general? Will offices move out of downtown and spread out in the metro area?).

I guess I'm just trying to think 5-10 years down the line and whether living in a transit-oriented development basically across the street from a station will be worth the 'premium'. I enjoy taking the train whenever I can, but I haven't done it much in 2020 for obvious reasons. Is it possible that any of these commuter or light rail lines would be decommissioned? We already know that the R line had service cuts due to low ridership, but at what point could RTD just eliminate a line entirely for low ridership? I suspect ridership will take years to recover from the pandemic, if ever.

Does anyone have any insight from RTD on this, or any comments on my specific situation?

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooksLikeForever View Post
Does anyone have any insight into if or when RTD will restore regular intervals on lines like the G and B lines? According to an article posted on April 8th (https://www.denverpost.com/2020/04/0...ovid-b-g-line/), RTD dropped its headways to 30 minutes from 15 minutes prior to the pandemic on the B and G line. The A line to the airport apparently still runs at 15 minutes.

I understand the difficult position that RTD is in with the pandemic: lower ridership and subsequently lower revenue. It's a vicious cycle.
Over the long term that G Line will be golden. bunt assured me of this a few years ago and I always trust bunt.

As a personal anecdote I'm ready and waiting for my first vaccine shot in January with the booster coming in February. That puts me on a schedule to be out doing rideshare hopefully by the end of February. I can't tell you how ready I am to get out of the damn house and I assume this applies to the rest of the population as well. By 2022, I expect to be meeting and chatting with people from all over the U.S. and the world.

With respect to rail transit, RTD has over a $5 billion investment and a rail specific tax to pay for this so no, rail will never be de-commissioned. I look for rail to ultimately thrive alongside more urban bus routes.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 9:37 PM

Quote:
However, I am currently looking to buy a home in a transit-oriented development along the G line. Part of their marketing material for the new development heavily features the proximity to the train, and thus, the proximity to downtown and beyond. However, in my mind I have some long-term concerns about the viability of the commuter lines. Nobody knows how the pandemic will reshape the workforce (more work from home meaning less people commuting in general? Will offices move out of downtown and spread out in the metro area?).

I guess I'm just trying to think 5-10 years down the line and whether living in a transit-oriented development basically across the street from a station will be worth the 'premium'. I enjoy taking the train whenever I can, but I haven't done it much in 2020 for obvious reasons. Is it possible that any of these commuter or light rail lines would be decommissioned? We already know that the R line had service cuts due to low ridership, but at what point could RTD just eliminate a line entirely for low ridership? I suspect ridership will take years to recover from the pandemic, if ever.

Does anyone have any insight from RTD on this, or any comments on my specific situation?
Couple of market related guesses.

Your point about work-from-home is fair although I wouldn't be overly concerned about this. While there may be a new enthusiasm for development in the suburbs I don't see it hurting downtown - perhaps a little at the margin in the near term. Then there's this:

Census survey shows 184,000 Arizona families fear losing their homes in near future
NOV 25, 2020
Quote:
PHOENIX (3TV/CBS 5) - A survey based on Census data shows many Arizonans fear losing their homes in the very near future... The results show more than 10% of Arizonans are not current on their rent or mortgage payments and have little confidence they can pay up next month. Of that 10%, 40% of them believe they will get kicked out of their homes in the next two months. That translates into 184,000 Arizonans.
I couldn't say what Denver will experience but the percentages could certainly be similar.

It's also hard to say how disruptive this may be to the market. It could have a moderating affect on values. It may be best to wait a few months to see how the pending pandemic repercussions play out. That said, I wouldn't expect any dramatic changes so consider your own personal circumstances as well as specific market conditions where you are interested in buying. It's also possible for foreclosure opportunities to pop up where you are looking.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 2:26 PM
BANNED

Supposedly there’s an airline announcing new service to DIA soon. From what I’m reading on other forums is that it’ll be either Breeze (new startup airline), Avianca, or Hawaiian Air. My money is on Hawaiian.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 7:57 AM
cities|transit|croissants

CDOT published a 440-page report on historic Colorado streetcars.

It includes lots of nice images, including maps and photos.

There is an accompanying online map showing all the lines in the state.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2021, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
CDOT published a 440-page report on historic Colorado streetcars.

It includes lots of nice images, including maps and photos.

There is an accompanying online map showing all the lines in the state.
This is great and I may withdraw my recall petition of you as mod over this greatness.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2021, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New&Old View Post
Supposedly there’s an airline announcing new service to DIA soon. From what I’m reading on other forums is that it’ll be either Breeze (new startup airline), Avianca, or Hawaiian Air. My money is on Hawaiian.
I guess it was Air France to Paris.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2021, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spr8364 View Post
I guess it was Air France to Paris.
Frontier Airlines also announced new services within Colorado, including Denver to Grand Junction and Denver to Durango: https://www.9news.com/article/travel...6-5a01d6458594

Old Posted May 17, 2021, 4:22 PM

Saw this bus on the way to Denver from Fort Collins, didn't know about it so had to look it up. Interesting concept.

From Airline to Landline: United Offers Seamless Travel from Denver International Airport to Breckenridge and Fort Collins
New luxury bus collaboration allows customers to fly into DEN, have their bags and ski equipment automatically transferred and be driven to Breckenridge and Fort Collins

https://hub.united.com/2021-02-26-fr...650812797.html
"The engineer is the key figure in the material progress of the world. It is his engineering that makes a reality of the potential value of science by translating scientific knowledge into tools, resources, energy and labor to bring them into the service of man. To make contributions of this kind the engineer requires the imagination to visualize the need of society and to appreciate what is possible as well as the technological and broad social age understanding to bring his vision to reality."

Old Posted May 20, 2021, 9:13 PM

There's also this announcement of a brand new airline serving Colorado, but the Western Slope only: https://www.9news.com/article/travel...9-fd23735bac8d

Old Posted Jun 23, 2021, 3:32 PM

Looks like Turkish Airlines might be coming to Denver, but I've seen no confirmation from a local source or DIA: https://investor.turkishairlines.com...e-announcement

Old Posted Jun 28, 2021, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Looks like Turkish Airlines might be coming to Denver, but I've seen no confirmation from a local source or DIA: https://investor.turkishairlines.com...e-announcement
Had Turkish kept their Istanbul - Košice flight, this would have been a great way for me to get home to Slovakia. They do offer a lot of great flights from Istanbul, and this may be a great way to get to Southern Europe and Middle East from Denver.

Now, can we get Austrian to Vienna, please?

Old Posted Jun 28, 2021, 7:09 PM

Quote:
There's also this announcement of a brand new airline serving Colorado, but the Western Slope only: https://www.9news.com/article/travel...9-fd23735bac8d
Avelo is just another Ultra-low-cost airline, competing with Frontier, Spirit, and Allegiant. Don't think of it like we're missing out in Denver...

Old Posted Jun 28, 2021, 7:27 PM

I know that Norwegian got hit HARD by the pandemic but I'm certainly no expert on the airlines and their finances. Does anyone here have insight on the possibility of the direct Denver to Rome flight that was planned in Spring 2020 being reinstated? Or perhaps another airline picking up that route?

Old Posted Jun 28, 2021, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr1138 View Post
I know that Norwegian got hit HARD by the pandemic but I'm certainly no expert on the airlines and their finances. Does anyone here have insight on the possibility of the direct Denver to Rome flight that was planned in Spring 2020 being reinstated? Or perhaps another airline picking up that route?
Pffft. Norwegian ain’t doing trans-Atlantic anymore. Maybe United on a seasonal basis, but they parked a ton of planes.

Last edited by seventwentyone; Jun 28, 2021 at 8:39 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West