HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 10, 2007, 4:42 PM

^^Any news on the old bus terminal?

Old Posted Oct 10, 2007, 5:38 PM
Armchair urbanist

It would make sense for the U of W to purchase the land.

BTW, does anyone have a news release concerning the bus terminal at the airport?

Old Posted Oct 10, 2007, 11:01 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexrae View Post
It would make sense for the U of W to purchase the land.
the u of w already owns 1/3 of the bus terminal....they have less than no money...i wouldnt count on any new projects from the u of w unless they find a sugar daddy to pay for them.

there is a good proposal being pushed for the terminal, by the owners but i am not sure it will happen.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2007, 11:04 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
Although Newflyer you'd be pleased to know that the MB Hydro Tower is clearly visible from the airport, it looks even more impressive from a distance.
coming back from the preseident's cup last week, i actually had the opposite thought...i was disappointed that from the airport, the hydro tower looks even more stumpy than it does close up...it certainly doesnt stand out like the portage and main towers....even the radison seemed to have more presence...hydro to me looked like a short very wide box from there...

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 12:51 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
coming back from the preseident's cup last week, i actually had the opposite thought...i was disappointed that from the airport, the hydro tower looks even more stumpy than it does close up...it certainly doesnt stand out like the portage and main towers....even the radison seemed to have more presence...hydro to me looked like a short very wide box from there...
It really is too bad they didn't go with a 40+ story tower design. That would have made a much more impressive statement, but on the plus side is the new Hydro definately adds some density to the skyline. Its large floor plate design reminds me of those in large metro cities, but with its limited hieght it gives the new building a stumpy look.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 1:48 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
I agree with your sentiments, I woulda liked a taller / slimmer tower of say 40+ floors like the TIFF tower KPMB is throwing up in Toronto.

However, for shear size size Hydro is as impressive as anything i've seen in larger U.S. cities. It makes the neighbouring Boyd building look miniscule by comparison.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2007, 6:24 PM

James
Arrival Time/Date 2010
Flight # 204

http://www.james2010.ca/

Not the best looking website, but more of a blog/behind the scenes look to the upcoming terminal in Winnipeg.

Diggin the baggage claim back when...
(Photo courtesy of the website, james2010.ca)
Notice all the people dressed so nicely, now people come to the airport in Crocs.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2007, 7:03 PM

Airport business rising

Fri Oct 26 2007

TRAFFIC and cargo volumes through Richardson International Airport continued to rise in the third quarter of this year, leading to higher profits for the agency that operates the airport.
Winnipeg Airports Authority announced a $7.7-million profit Thursday for the quarter ending Sept. 30, compared with $6.6 million in the same period last year.

So far this year, passenger traffic at the airport is up 5.8 per cent -- to 2.7 million people -- compared with the first nine months of 2006.

The WAA had revenues of $17.6 million in the third quarter, up 11.3 per cent, due mainly to the higher passenger volume. Cargo revenues rose 7.3 per cent.

The WAA said that airport redevelopment is forecast to contribute 6,370 person-years of employment to the local market, with $273 million in wages. Some 150 people are working on the construction site north of the existing terminal.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2007, 11:52 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Retail to take off at city airport's new terminal
Twice as many stores planned

Thu Oct 25 2007

By Murray McNeill

A whack of new retailers will be landing at Winnipeg's international airport when the doors to its new air terminal building open in 2010.
A Winnipeg Airports Authority spokeswoman confirmed Wednesday there'll be room for 30 stores, restaurants and service operators in the new 549,000-square foot terminal building at Winnipeg James Armstrong Richardson International Airport.

That's twice as many as in the existing terminal, which means there'll be a whole bunch of new faces.

"We want to have a distinct Manitoba flavour, as well as a national and international flavour," Christine Alongi, the WAA's manager of media relations, said in an interview. "We're a first door into the community... and we want to be representative of the community we live in."

She said it's too soon to say how many of the 30 retail spots will go to local firms, or what the exact mix of restaurant/store/service outlet will be. That will depend on the kind of proposals the WAA receives when it publishes its request for proposals around the middle of next month.

To prime the local pump, the WAA is hosting an informational meeting on Nov. 2 at the Fort Garry Hotel for retailers, restaurateurs and service providers. Floor plans for the 206,238 square feet of retail space will be on display and WAA officials will explain what the business opportunities are for retailers and what will be expected of them if their proposal is accepted.
"It's an opportunity to... let them know about the operation of an airport and how it's different -- it's 24 hours a day, seven days a week," Alongi said.

Salisbury House of Canada Ltd. is one local restaurant chain that would love to have an outlet in the new air terminal building.

"Absolutely," Earl Barish, the company's president and chief executive officer, said. "We would definitely like to have a presence there."

Barish said Sals officials have already made that desire known to the WAA. Their preference would be to have a full-service restaurant there, but they'd also settle for something smaller if they had to.

He noted the chain has had a cafeteria-styled restaurant in the downtown bus depot for more than six decades, so having one at the airport would be a natural progression for the company.

Alongi said she also expects some of the retailers in the existing terminal to bid for space in the new one. One of them will be Brad Hewlett, owner of the Showcase Manitoba clothing and gift shop on the second floor.

Hewlett said the gift shop, which carries products from more than 40 local artists and suppliers, does a brisk business. And it would likely do even better in the new terminal..

His store is 1,200 square feet in size, and Hewlett said he'd likely want to go bigger in the new terminal. "But not a lot bigger. Maybe 300 for 400 square feet more."

Alongi said about 70 per cent of the new retail outlets will be located in the departure, or post-security area, of the new terminal and accessible to only passengers and airport employees. The remaining 30 per cent will be in the public areas and accessible to everyone.

That's the opposite of how it is now, where only four of the 15 retail outlets are in the departure area.

The new approach reflects the new security rules. Passengers arrive earlier and spend more time in the departure area than they used to, Alongi said. Because they're not allowed to take food or beverages through the security gates, they want to buy those items after they go through security.

"They want to get in, go through security, and then relax," she said. "So we want to ensure all of these conveniences are available to them in the departure area."

Terminal building

loaded with features

IN addition to doubling the number of retail and restaurant outlets at Richardson International Airport, WAA spokeswoman Christine Alongi says the airport will offer a broader selection of vending machines and products in the new terminal building, and may make golf carts available to passengers who have mobility difficulties.

The new terminal will also feature:

* wider passenger corridors, and larger boarding lounges and lobby areas;

* more seating and queuing space;

* a more efficient baggage handling system;

* a common passenger processing area that will be used by all passengers, regardless of which airline they're flying on. There, they can either be served in person or check in electronically via a kiosk or the Internet;

* a central pre-boarding screening area where all travellers, both domestic and international, will go through security checks. At the existing terminal, international travellers go through screening on the main floor, while domestic travellers are processed on the second floor; * two more "loading bridges," or departure gates, than the existing terminal -- 11 in total -- and seven ground-loading points. And they'll all be located on the ground level.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2007, 12:44 AM
Movin' on up

^ So I guess the terminal ISN'T going to open in 2009 anymore?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2007, 4:42 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

God, I hope that's a misprint/mistake.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2007, 2:56 PM
iron ring

It always was scheduled for construction completion in December 2009, for moving in January 2010 (commissioning and systems testing will take a little time, and they didn't want to move everything during the Christmas rush).

Old Posted Oct 27, 2007, 3:28 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

...well then...that clears things up.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2007, 3:55 PM
Closed account

Earlier this year - apologies if they were posted already.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2007, 6:46 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Sorry to beat a dead horse to pulp here, but are they eventually going to tear up the now defunct east/west runway or are they just going to leave it there for shits and giggles? Or, is there a remote chance they might open that runway again once the terminal is re-opened?

Great pics btw.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2007, 7:34 PM
iron ring

Runway 7/25 is basically being converted to a taxiway. Its too close to the terminal for use as a runway, and was rather a short runway that was really only good for general aviation aircraft. Longer term plans are to add a new parallel runway 13/31 that would be further north (probably at least 20 years out).

Old Posted Oct 29, 2007, 2:58 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
God, I hope that's a misprint/mistake.
I'd be very surprised if this project didn't finish on time, or at least within a couple weeks of that. From what I hear its still on schedule, so if it officially opens for business in January 2010, instead of Dec 09, I wouldn't be concerned.

This will be one hell of a Terminal!!!

Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 2:14 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Alrighty then. But if they pull a MB Hydro, someone's going to get castrated!

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 4:00 AM
Movin' on up

Maybe I'm jumping the gun here, but did Delta Airlines pull out it's non-stop service between Winnipeg and Salt Lake City? Just curious since I haven't seen their presence on the departure/arrival section of the airport website.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 12:19 AM
iron ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
Alrighty then. But if they pull a MB Hydro, someone's going to get castrated!
That's mighty impatient. Both budgets and project timelines are estimates. The accuracy of the estimate depends on many factors, including the best available knowledge at the time. Subsurface conditions are something that many construction contracts deal with very carefully for this reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco Roman
did Delta Airlines pull out it's non-stop service between Winnipeg and Salt Lake City?
Yes, at the end of the summer, I would imagine it's to the surprise of very few... It was rather a bizarre route to begin with since it really didn't stake out a competitive advantage in any part of the market. In my view United's additional Denver frequency, and the complete lack of using Delta's partnership with Northwest to their advantage did it in.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan