Desert Dweller

Next Page!

Old Posted Jul 22, 2008, 5:03 AM

it would really suck if we had to delete this

Old Posted Jul 22, 2008, 5:05 AM
Desert Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrightguy0 View Post
The cyclone is wooden, and for the name how bout twister?
Sounds good! I wanted the coaster to say STAUNTON or HAMILTON but I think TWISTER would make more sence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
I do have a question though: Do you plan on adding any project housing?
Downtown Staunton is by no means a dump, its luxurious, fileld with rich vain people and celeberties and business men and women. Downtown is not where you would find slums, just homeless people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREKI View Post
I miss the large park, but it's still awesome looking!

You buildings are so great and detailed - well done mate, it's my favorite SU city and have been for as long as I remember!
Eh, I don't, It was just too much of a copy of NYC's Battery Park, and thanks!

Quote:
So, where in Jersey is Staunton?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin55 View Post
Speaking of,can we have a photoshop of Staunton W/ NY? thed both be visible right? if you can,preferbly pre 2000,or post 2013 would be cool to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan118 View Post
I believe he had a map a while ago and it was in northern Jersey, sort of below Staten Island.
So originally Staunton was New York's "Twin City" BUT over time I grew away from that. Staunton, has a much more warmer climate than NYC. So I was thinking of putting Staunton on the southern tip of New Jersey, near Delaware. The idea of New York City and Staunton's City Halls being only 40 miles away from each other seems a little silly? But thats just me, what do you guys think?

Now that Downtown Staunton has almost reached its end, of the district, I'd like to show how far I've come from the past version of Staunton! So All I need is THE PIER, Justice Avenue Seaport, Westly Avenue additions, JFK Avenue, then JEFFERSON at last!

Press F11 to widen the screen to see both pictures at once.

Looking North

Looking West

Looking South

Last edited by Patrick; Apr 27, 2018 at 6:42 PM.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2008, 5:05 AM
Desert Dweller

Quote:
it would really suck if we had to delete this
delete what?

Old Posted Jul 22, 2008, 5:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
delete what?
this thread, the old 2000 post thing.

Damn that immpressive, I actually like both equally.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2008, 5:18 AM
Desert Dweller

Quote:
this thread, the old 2000 post thing.
OH NO. I dont want all of Staunton's history to be misplaced! I mean it wont be deleted, it will be in the thread archive, but STILL

Old Posted Jul 22, 2008, 5:25 AM

Quote:
OH NO. I dont want all of Staunton's history to be misplaced! I mean it wont be deleted, it will be in the thread archive, but STILL
I don't think it's that it's a physical reason, threads can pretty much go foreevr. I bet they could make an exception. Aleks might know

Some threads in the archive are unlocked to. The poor threads.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2008, 5:29 AM

Didn't the moderators raise the post limit to 10,000 post's a thread?
Transportation. http://trinity-bay.myminicity.com/tra

Old Posted Jul 22, 2008, 6:24 AM
Posting Quick Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew11 View Post
Didn't the moderators raise the post limit to 10,000 post's a thread?
yeah.

and patrick, have you ever been to south jersey? a city like staunton would NEVER fly down there. the tip of jersey is cape may, where the tallest thing is a 100 ft lighthouse, there's no boardwalk, and there's too many old people. the main tourist attraction is this stupid half sunken boat. it's the most boring place in the world. a city like staunton could just never happen in south jersey, ever. the biggest thing down there is atlantic city. there's other little beach cities like Ocean City and Wildwood. Staunton would be so out of place. plus, it'd be too close to Philadelphia, as well as Wilmington.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2008, 6:35 AM

Atleast they have tourist attractions.

Oh, but rural places don't need that stuff. This is getting so offtopic. now.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2008, 11:48 AM
All aboard the Failboat

I always pictured Staunton in monmouth county, there's a nice little penninsula there that faces east

Old Posted Jul 22, 2008, 11:54 AM
All aboard the Failboat

Delete

Last edited by Wrightguy0; Jul 22, 2008 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Stupid PC accidently double posted

Old Posted Jul 22, 2008, 2:07 PM
World Machine

I know it means nothing, but I actually prefer the other version when you put the two together. I really suggest you put that park back in place. When you compare the 'Looking West' shot the former version looks more inviting and more practical. The current version is much more cold and I'm not that crazy about how the buildings flow. Honestly, I think you really had something with the former version. I know you didn't want to 'copy' off other cities, but honestly you can hardly see anything of that, if at all.

Oh well, what's done is done. Anyway, as far as location goes, I lived in Jersey for 10 years of my life, and after hearing flyersfan, I have to agree with him. Sure you have some industry and urban areas near Hoboken, Newark, Jersey City, Elizabeth, etc., however what he's saying is dead on. Normally, being that this is all fake, I wouldn't consider it a big deal but being the fact that you thrive on making Staunton realistic you might want to consider changing locations. Not saying you have to leave Jersey, butspace is tight for a city like that to flow and be realistic.

Just giving you some straight foward advice. I feel it's better for your city than for me just to say 'good job' and add a thumbs up smiley. Point is, don't take it the wrong way.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2008, 8:08 PM
Posting Quick Reply

Quote:
I know it means nothing, but I actually prefer the other version when you put the two together. I really suggest you put that park back in place. When you compare the 'Looking West' shot the former version looks more inviting and more practical. The current version is much more cold and I'm not that crazy about how the buildings flow. Honestly, I think you really had something with the former version. I know you didn't want to 'copy' off other cities, but honestly you can hardly see anything of that, if at all.

Oh well, what's done is done. Anyway, as far as location goes, I lived in Jersey for 10 years of my life, and after hearing flyersfan, I have to agree with him. Sure you have some industry and urban areas near Hoboken, Newark, Jersey City, Elizabeth, etc., however what he's saying is dead on. Normally, being that this is all fake, I wouldn't consider it a big deal but being the fact that you thrive on making Staunton realistic you might want to consider changing locations. Not saying you have to leave Jersey, butspace is tight for a city like that to flow and be realistic.

Just giving you some straight foward advice. I feel it's better for your city than for me just to say 'good job' and add a thumbs up smiley. Point is, don't take it the wrong way.
I kinda miss the park too. Like, with it being all industrial and having no park there, it just looks kinda dull.

And I think the spot where you had it up in North Jersey was much better; I'm not sure a city like Staunton could thrive that close to New York City, but I know for a fact it would never exist down where Cape May is.

Dac, you lived in Jersey for ten years? If I lived in Jersey for one year I'd probably end my life.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2008, 8:28 PM
All aboard the Failboat

Quote:
Sounds good! I wanted the coaster to say STAUNTON or HAMILTON but I think TWISTER would make more sence.

The idea of New York City and Staunton's City Halls being only 40 miles away from each other seems a little silly? But thats just me, what do you guys think?
I am the name guru

Actually having two large cities that close together isn't so far fetched

Look at how close together Baltimore and D.C. are, or Miami and Ft. Lauderdale

Old Posted Jul 22, 2008, 10:45 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Dac, you lived in Jersey for ten years? If I lived in Jersey for one year I'd probably end my life.
Yeah, I spent the first ten years of my life in good old Jersey. It's really not the 'hell-hole' people make it out to be. Even though I was young, I always enjoyed my time there. It's one big suburban society though. Rows and rows of homes with the supermarket. You have to like it I guess, but overall not a bad place to raise a family and call home.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2008, 9:28 AM
Desert Dweller

Quote:
and patrick, have you ever been to south jersey? a city like staunton would NEVER fly down there. the tip of jersey is cape may, where the tallest thing is a 100 ft lighthouse, there's no boardwalk, and there's too many old people. the main tourist attraction is this stupid half sunken boat. it's the most boring place in the world. a city like staunton could just never happen in south jersey, ever. the biggest thing down there is atlantic city. there's other little beach cities like Ocean City and Wildwood. Staunton would be so out of place. plus, it'd be too close to Philadelphia, as well as Wilmington.
Quote:
I always pictured Staunton in monmouth county, there's a nice little penninsula there that faces east
Quote:
And I think the spot where you had it up in North Jersey was much better; I'm not sure a city like Staunton could thrive that close to New York City, but I know for a fact it would never exist down where Cape May is.
Okay, I'm convinced, Staunton will stay in Monmouth County, if you look at the terrain its very simular to Stauntons, 3 peninsulas, Jefferson, Staunton (I think I should keep it a penisula, not island?), and New Ganton.

Quote:
Well I'm surprised, but I completely understand. I love comments like that, especially your's Dac. Old Staunton did have a much more dramatic skyline, but the scale was WAYY off, Galcorp and Garden State, which where too thin, still dwarfed everything around them. This effect obviously gave Staunton a much more clustered and dramatic skyline, but I'm looking for realism, some buildings where placed just in place for the skyline, totally defying the grid.

Quote:
I kinda miss the park too. Like, with it being all industrial and having no park there, it just looks kinda dull.
I hated that park (never had an official name, um, Cannery Park, Monmouth Park, Callahan Park, blah), I'm just so glad its gone, it never satisfied me, I redesigned the area several times, each better than the last time but still sucked. finally I got rid of that silly park replaced it with the Garden State Federal Center, home to government and immigration offices, the Ferry Terminal, Boardwalk & Pier, and Fort Hamilton. IMO was a better trade.

Getting closer to Jefferson, Downtown Staunton will soon be "Complete" Westly Avenue finally landscaped, it was just a barren stretch of pavement until now!

Last edited by Patrick; Apr 27, 2018 at 6:45 PM.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2008, 11:35 AM
All aboard the Failboat

Westly Ave. is looking really good patrick, love the trees and the pedestrian bridges

Old Posted Jul 23, 2008, 1:35 PM
World Machine

Well regardless the city still looks fantastic. I look foward to seeing what you make of Midtown. If you're not looking to make 'Midtown' into a 'large' business distirct like Downtown, I would say take the Century City approach.

Do you still plan on bringing back Staunton Square? If you do, to keep things realistic, you shouldn't go too crazy with it. Just a few buildings with the standard 'Times Square' theme. You should try to keep it simple.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2008, 6:48 PM

How about something shiney and tall along the water like the Freedom Tower just better.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup