HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 3, 2020, 4:04 PM

edit

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jun 7, 2021 at 7:20 PM.

Old Posted May 12, 2020, 5:54 PM

Only thing I could find was estimated completion Oct. 2022

Old Posted May 12, 2020, 7:38 PM

It's encouraging that Urban Capital is giving a specific date - i.e. this project is going to happen. But until shovels are in the ground, I won't hold my breath.

Old Posted May 12, 2020, 9:52 PM

I had complete and total confidence in this project because of the developer....but have to admit...I am starting to get a little anxious about its prospects now. Would have liked to have seen some action at the site this Spring. My fingers are still crossed.

Old Posted May 12, 2020, 10:01 PM

My information hasn't changed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
Last I heard from someone in the know was that sales are in a place that has them confident for a fall construction start.

Old Posted May 17, 2020, 3:55 PM

edit

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jun 7, 2021 at 7:20 PM.

Old Posted May 17, 2020, 4:04 PM

edit

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jun 7, 2021 at 7:21 PM.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2020, 4:22 PM

edit

Old Posted Jul 10, 2020, 3:21 PM

I am just too lazy to look back through this thread, but I can't remember if there is a local developer or financer in partnership with Urban Capitol, or is this project one they are doing on their own?

Old Posted Jul 10, 2020, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
I am just too lazy to look back through this thread, but I can't remember if there is a local developer or financer in partnership with Urban Capitol, or is this project one they are doing on their own?
It's in partnership with Victory Majors - same as River Landing. Different architect though.

This project seems to have stalled when Covid19 hit. The show suite has been closed for a few months. It's currently open for viewing by appointment only.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2020, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck10 View Post
It's in partnership with Victory Majors - same as River Landing. Different architect though.

This project seems to have stalled when Covid19 hit. The show suite has been closed for a few months. It's currently open for viewing by appointment only.
This question prompted me to review this thread. Some stories in the media (not sure I've reviewed them all) did say late 2020 construction start, so... there is some hope it is not delayed.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 10:20 PM

Unfortunately Highpoint has been put on hold. In fact all sales contracts will be cancelled and deposits will be refunded.

The developer sites the pandemic as being at the root of the problem. The concern seems to center primarily around the office space. I would think that the transition to working from home during the pandemic has meant a significant reduction of demand for office space for the foreseeable future.

They plan to redo the proposal, removing the office floor and reducing the retail space. And apparently there has been no demand for residential units since the pandemic began.

A revised proposal will need to go back to the city (and presumably to Meewasin) before a relaunch. I have no idea how quickly a relaunch will take.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2020, 1:10 AM

Covid is an easy out for them. I heard that demand wasn't as strong as expected even before.

I don't expect this to be revived any time soon. They wouldn't be refunding deposits if that was the case.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2020, 1:41 AM

well that's crap!... this is a stunning tower. why couldn't the Baydo towers be on hold instead?

Old Posted Jul 18, 2020, 1:57 AM

I hate to say it but I think his majesty has it right. The highpoint website says "close to" 40/113 units sold. People did not step up even in before covid times.

If there is a glimmer of hope, maybe the claimed redesign will turn the podium into parking, since there is no view from the podium anyway. With less underground parking, amenities on the first floor, and maybe no pool, perhaps they could come up with a building that looks basically the same but is cheaper to build.

But I will not be holding my breath.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2020, 12:44 PM

edit

Old Posted Jul 20, 2020, 1:07 PM

Here is link to the Highpoint site....developers describe the project on hold and give the reasons as already stated by canuck10.

https://www.highpointsaskatoon.com/

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 1:51 AM

All these developers like to play tricks with their numbers of units sold. I could see them rejigging it solely to add more condos since office space of that quality and size was a non starter even before the pandemic - retail though, broadway is maxed for retail and needs more! I bet they had deposits on well over 40 but not quite sold out so they see a few extra million in rejigging the project without the office space. They’re probably hoping North Prairie believes only “almost 40” were sold to keep their most likely already defunct River Terrace project from happening. They are both basically the same style project.

I’d love to see both call their bluffs. These units are still perfect once the pandemic is over, well past when construction would be completed.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 3:14 PM

Your suggestion of timeline for completion and rebound in economy is a good point. It seems about right that if they were to start this Fall it would still be about 3 years to occupancy. If/when there is a vaccine developed for Covid, I am sure confidence will bounce back and they could have a successful project by building now.

However....I doubt very few developers proceed with only 40% unit presales. I would love to see them proceed, but the announcement did not really surprise me. I just hope they REALLY DO come back and proceed with a landmark project.

I think we are all pretty confident that North Prairie weed lot will stay as a weed lot!

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 5:35 PM

I have a friend who's a Highpoint purchaser... they sent me the email that they received, which goes into a bit more detail than their website:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan