HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 7:36 PM

They def look a bit small and awkward, and not the best finishings, but that's actually good IMO. Very reasonable rents, which is needed in the area. Compare it to Pumphouse (phase 1) which are $1500-2700. 433 Main appears to be going a bit upmarket as well.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2020, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
They def look a bit small and awkward, and not the best finishings, but that's actually good IMO. Very reasonable rents, which is needed in the area. Compare it to Pumphouse (phase 1) which are $1500-2700. 433 Main appears to be going a bit upmarket as well.
Great project and reasonable rents for brand new character apartments. All of the 1 beds at Pumphouse will be $1400/month and include all utilities, internet and have in suite laundry where Warehouse 1885 has common laundry and only includes water.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2020, 11:28 PM

Speaking of Pumphouse, I was chatting with someone who is a monthly parker where Pumphouse 2 & 3 are going and she said she’s hasn’t heard anything about having to give up her spot. Wonder how much longer 2 & 3 will be delayed as I thought they were supposed to be underway by now.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2020, 6:53 PM

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Jul 20, 2020, 6:55 PM

It looks so cool, I love it. Think the brighter rust looks even better than the renders, pulls in nicely from the buildings on either side.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2020, 7:46 PM

Very cool... can't wait to see it when it's done.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2020, 8:33 PM

Obviously cosmetics are subjective, but I have no idea what makes corten steel appealing to anyone. I sense this currently trendy design "feature" will become unfashionable as quick as it came... or at least i hope.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2020, 9:06 PM

Corten weathering steel has been in use since at least the 60s, if not earlier... I doubt it's going away anytime soon. But I can understand why it isn't everyone's cup of tea.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2020, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman View Post
Obviously cosmetics are subjective, but I have no idea what makes corten steel appealing to anyone. I sense this currently trendy design "feature" will become unfashionable as quick as it came... or at least i hope.
I love It i think it looks great, not sure what’s not to like about it?

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 1:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman View Post
I quite like corten when it is used for structural elements in a way that feels big and bold and monumental. Visited Pittsburgh a few years ago and loved the old US Steel headquarters:

However, I find it ugly when it's used for fussy little decorative flourishes. On the Osborne strip, a couple of recent refreshes added these little die-cut corten panels, and I find it looks a little like a bad Pinterest DIY project.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Corten weathering steel has been in use since at least the 60s, if not earlier... I doubt it's going away anytime soon. But I can understand why it isn't everyone's cup of tea.
Not disagreeing that its been around for a while, but recently (at least in Winnipeg) it has exploded in popularity. Can't wait for it to be relegated back to fringe status. I know we have installed it on quite a few projects recently and the overwhelming sentiment from the general public when they see it for the first time is "Is that supposed to look like that? It's ugly"... and I shrug my shoulders and say "not my choice, architectural decision".

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 1:42 PM
What could go wrong?

Everyone has their own tastes, but I love it. That building looks amazing...great job.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 1:45 PM
What could go wrong?

.....how do you make the pictures smaller again.....uggg, sorry

From Mr Brent Bellamy on Twitter:
Brent Bellamy@brent_bellamy

"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 1:56 PM

The Osborne Village building shown above is maybe not the greatest use of corten, but it looks fantastic in the pictures that Biff posted. That is really great.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 2:10 PM
surely you agree with me

Corten was a Modernist building material. Several buildings at U of M from the 60's use it. The old Place Louis Riel is Corten.

I like to take credit for bringing it back (it bugs the 546 people when I say that).

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 8:46 PM

I love this! Nice contrast to the building behind, nice grid shape that relates to the buildings around. And it provides a function for the balconies.

I am generally fine with all design "trends" in a city like Wpg because we are a slower-building city so generally all trends happen in moderation. A little bit in OV, a little bit in the exchange, some downtown (that residential parkade on smith).

Old Posted Jul 22, 2020, 2:32 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

o man i cant wait to photograph that

Old Posted Jul 22, 2020, 2:33 AM

Like the result of Warehouse 1885. Looks great. Renting for August 1st. http://https://www.sunrex.ca/warehouse1885

Old Posted Jul 22, 2020, 3:15 AM

Most of the west side of Albert (Notre Dame to ~Albert Hotel) was converted to back in angle parking this week.

I don't want to hear another peep about parking around there. Once the rate is lowered again there is absolutely nothing to complain about there regarding parking, so many options and will be very reasonable rates on the street. If you're business still can't survive (current COVID situation notwithstanding*), your business is the problem.

*note: Still 1 hour free parking on street due to COVID, and many temporary loading zones for curbside pickup.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2020, 6:02 AM

1885's balcony thing looked way better in black. The Exchange has a plenty of grunge already.

Hopefully there isn't too much bleed off from upper balconies to lower ones, and the entranceway. That'd be unpleasant.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan