HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 6:56 PM

Duluth

Earlier this month I was in Minnesota for work and took a couple days to explore the northeastern portion of the state. Duluth was a surprisingly lively city of almost 100,000 people, with an active downtown and waterfront. And lots of very steep hills heading up from Lake Superior that I wouldn't want to tackle during winter.

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 7:12 PM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
That was earlier this month? Just curious, but when do the trees fully leaf out there in the zenith city of the unsalted sea? Down here, things are fully green and leafy in the valleys by the beginning of the month, and on the mountaintops by the middle of the month.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 10:40 PM

Duluth looks really interesting.

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 11:52 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post
That was earlier this month? Just curious, but when do the trees fully leaf out there in the zenith city of the unsalted sea? Down here, things are fully green and leafy in the valleys by the beginning of the month, and on the mountaintops by the middle of the month.
Early June. The trees are in flower from about the second week of May to late June. Leaves begin to bud between Victoria Day and Memorial Day. Everything is a bit late this year, about 2 to 5 days behind schedule. Thunder Bay is just looking like Duluth in those photos as of today. It will still be about two weeks before the leaves have fully grown back. Duluth is probably just getting there now, but won't be fully grown probably until next weekend.

And to scare you more: they start changing colour in late August or early September and are usually completely gone by Halloween. It's a very short season.

Also, a lot of the trees in urban areas in both of our cities are ash, and they tend to be late bloomers to begin with, but they're also under stress from emerald ash borer.

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 1:53 AM

Duluth has always interested me. Great photos! Post more if you have some!

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 2:12 AM

Duluth looks like an industrial city.

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 2:14 AM

Nice job! A very photogenic city on the lake.

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 2:32 AM

Thanks everyone. And yes, these were taken May 15 and 16, before I pushed on further north to Thunder Bay. Unfortunately Thunder Bay wasn't terribly photogenic, no offense to vid's hometown. The waterfalls along Route 61 on the Lake Superior shore were stunning though, I can post some of those here if people are interested.

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 3:36 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance View Post
Unfortunately Thunder Bay wasn't terribly photogenic
That is the nicest thing anyone has said about us in the past year!

If you've seen my photothreads of Thunder Bay (This is the most recent), it's obvious there isn't much beauty but there are interesting things. Thunder Bay is a much younger city than Duluth, and poorer. When the first skyscrapers were being built on Superior Avenue, Thunder Bay was a town of 1,500 with no railway.

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 8:28 PM

Nice pictures!

Quote:
I was in Milwaukee over the weekend, and the tulips were in full bloom, and some trees were just starting to bud.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2019, 3:52 PM

^ Yeah, being right against the great lakes, things tend to warm up more slowly...go inland a bit, and trees tend to leaf out in Madison a few weeks earlier.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
That is the nicest thing anyone has said about us in the past year!

If you've seen my photothreads of Thunder Bay (This is the most recent), it's obvious there isn't much beauty but there are interesting things. Thunder Bay is a much younger city than Duluth, and poorer. When the first skyscrapers were being built on Superior Avenue, Thunder Bay was a town of 1,500 with no railway.
Thunder Bay may not be photogenic, but it did give us Paul Schaefer! And of course, Duluth gave us Bob Dylan (until age 6, when his family moved to Hibbing).

Duluth is an interesting mix of rust belt grit and vacationland with a beautiful hilly setting overlooking Lake Superior. I always thought it to be the San Francisco of the Midwest--given its concentration of Victorian architecture, the steep hills, the famous bridge and the poorer sister city across the bay.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 8:43 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Great shots!

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 11:05 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsTodd View Post
Thunder Bay may not be photogenic, but it did give us Paul Schaefer!
Paul Shaffer is from Thunder Bay. Paul Schaefer was a pedophile Nazi who organized an apocalyptic cult in Chile in the 1970s. Huge difference. And a very unfortunate person with whom to share a similar sounding name!

Old Posted Jun 4, 2019, 12:49 AM
Gatinois et fier

a city i know nothing about.

GATINEAU-OTTAWA=1 300 000
gatinopolis.miniville.fr
gatinopolis.miniville.fr/ind

Old Posted Jun 4, 2019, 9:18 PM
Me?!?

Cool pics!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Early June. The trees are in flower from about the second week of May to late June. Leaves begin to bud between Victoria Day and Memorial Day. Everything is a bit late this year, about 2 to 5 days behind schedule. Thunder Bay is just looking like Duluth in those photos as of today. It will still be about two weeks before the leaves have fully grown back. Duluth is probably just getting there now, but won't be fully grown probably until next weekend.

And to scare you more: they start changing colour in late August or early September and are usually completely gone by Halloween. It's a very short season.

Also, a lot of the trees in urban areas in both of our cities are ash, and they tend to be late bloomers to begin with, but they're also under stress from emerald ash borer.
Yeah I had a conversation with someone from MN recently and while I love the seasons this would be too far the other way for me and I wouldn't want to do it.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 1:09 PM

Thunder Bay Beauty

I recall Thunder Bay as quite a beautiful city! The views of the "sleeping giant" profile is mesmerizing from various scenic spots within the city and times of day. Also Kakabeka Falls in an incredibly beautiful. Does anyone have photos of these sites?

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 5:31 PM

The topography and the lake look interesting, but it doesn't look like there's much to the actual city/built environment.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 1:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitirion View Post
I recall Thunder Bay as quite a beautiful city! The views of the "sleeping giant" profile is mesmerizing from various scenic spots within the city and times of day. Also Kakabeka Falls in an incredibly beautiful. Does anyone have photos of these sites?
Ask and ye shall receive, I made it to both of those places as well:

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 3:16 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

very nice -- below is our duluth thread from a few years ago.

we stayed for a few days and really enjoyed ourselves there.

we stayed in those apts next to the aerial bridge, highly recommended.

it was in august and it hit over 100 degrees if you can believe it.

we flipped a quarter on a trip to thunder bay or just superior, wisc. -- still kinda bummed it landed on superior lol, although a shout out to the great anchor bar over there.

anyway, great work and good to see it again here.

https://www.skyscraperpage.com/forum...d.php?t=218684

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos