HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs

Old Posted Mar 16, 2021, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleblanc View Post
What kind of respectable developer would plan a 28 storey hotel before not doing engineering assessments on the rock they are going to be building on? I'm still amazed at how this was allowed to happen..
This kind, apparently. I agree! Sad.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2021, 4:55 PM
Steven Courchene

Wow!!!!

From my place of work I have to see this eye sore everyday and think I would weather look at the old fenwick tower everyday then this. what a let down of a design. They get caught for tax invasion and then they build
This mess.

I think it should be law to have to stick to 80% of your approved original plan/design (rendering) I don’t see why or how they should get away with building such cheap development.

Steven Courchene

Old Posted Mar 20, 2021, 5:20 PM

I still contend that this is more of a case of expectations that were not met vs an actual problem. I mean, it's a hotel in Bayer's Lake... would anybody care or expect it to be something amazing if that placard hadn't been posted?

I think not.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2021, 5:31 PM

Look on the bright side... odds are that the hotel restaurant once completed will bring back the Canadiana's pan-fried haddock, so that's a huge plus.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2021, 6:41 PM

Instead of a signed contract, let me give you a rendering of the money I plan to pay for the completed job!!

Old Posted Apr 1, 2021, 8:17 PM

spot the differences?

Old Posted Apr 1, 2021, 8:32 PM

Nope. Looks the same to me! Oh, wait - no revolving rooftop restaurant, is that it?

Seriously, though, it reminds me of the sterile grotesqueness of Peter Green Hall (Dal residence on Wellington).

Old Posted Apr 1, 2021, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul Goode View Post
Nope. Looks the same to me! Oh, wait - no revolving rooftop restaurant, is that it?

Seriously, though, it reminds me of the sterile grotesqueness of Peter Green Hall (Dal residence on Wellington).
It does actually have a curtain wall style glass penthouse that you can't see in the pic above. Even with, still the saddest excuse for a development I've seen in Halifax in the past decade. Reminds me of that NYC prison.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2021, 11:06 PM

Quote:
...still the saddest excuse for a development I've seen in Halifax in the past decade.
Well, particularly because it was such an egregious con.

Y'know, there's plenty of room on that sign for a creative graffiti artist to alter it to say "Lying Bastards Hotel & Convention Centre". Just sayin'...

Last edited by Saul Goode; Apr 1, 2021 at 11:16 PM.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 8:41 PM

In the beginning I was like, "WTF?! The tallest/nicest tower in Halifax is going to be in Bayers Lake?!" now I'm soooooo thankful. This is a true abomination, and they should be fined by the city for the glaring difference between the rendering/proposal and the final product. This is just sad.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
In the beginning I was like, "WTF?! The tallest/nicest tower in Halifax is going to be in Bayers Lake?!" now I'm soooooo thankful. This is a true abomination, and they should be fined by the city for the glaring difference between the rendering/proposal and the final product. This is just sad.
It's a Choice Hotel - they build them cheap and half the time nothing works, so nobody should expect very much

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 9:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveHalifax View Post
It's a Choice Hotel - they build them cheap and half the time nothing works, so nobody should expect very much
Was "Halifax Tower Hotel" always a Choice Hotel though? I've only started seeing that name thrown around after people noticed that the construction didn't match the renderings and had people questioning it.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 3:39 PM

I was at the Starbucks across the street yesterday and thought this was pretty funny. The developer has covered the tower portion of all the renderings on the hoarding wall, likely because the rendering is much more extravagant than the bland facility they actually built. What a complete and total joke.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2021, 9:22 PM

Old Posted Aug 13, 2021, 1:59 AM

I think the podium actually looks fairly nice. Then it's just terrible, almost reminds me of a hospital mixed with a jail. And why an entire side with no windows?

Old Posted Aug 13, 2021, 4:01 AM

Wait! I know what could salvage this project and redeem the owner's reputation: stick a pole on the side of the tower - at about 45 degrees, say, seven or eight storeys up - and hang a clock from it!

Old Posted Aug 13, 2021, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittle View Post
I think the podium actually looks fairly nice. Then it's just terrible, almost reminds me of a hospital mixed with a jail. And why an entire side with no windows?
This is the kind of thing you get when people with little experience in developing large building projects get to make design decisions. Much like our esteemed Council.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2021, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
This is the kind of thing you get when people with little experience in developing large building projects get to make design decisions. Much like our esteemed Council.
These developers DO have the experience, that's the sad part.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2021, 1:05 PM

Quote:
These developers DO have the experience, that's the sad part.
A lot of people who have experience are still bad at their jobs. I mean though can you really blame them? This piece of architecture is going to win international awards! HALIFAX TOWER HOTEL!

Old Posted Aug 13, 2021, 1:18 PM

absolutely disgusting. Is this another one of those bait and switch towers, where the render looks at least somewhat promising then you get a significantly watered down cola version of it in the end?

The only saving grace is that it's not in the cluster of towers downtown. Downtown Halifax at least has some nice newness.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs