HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs

Old Posted Sep 2, 2016, 5:04 PM

I'm curious as to what IKEA's motivation was to open their first North American store in Dartmouth, of all places.

Maybe the fact that Dartmouth also had a Volvo assembly plant was a factor?

Old Posted Sep 7, 2016, 12:58 AM

Apparently IKEA opened a 2nd Collection Point. This one is in Saskatoon. No announcements yet, but there is some speculation that this is a prelude to a full-size store.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2016, 1:48 PM

IKEA Canada Announces Full Size Store in Quebec City

Quote:
Scheduled to open in summer 2018, IKEA Quebec City to be located at intersection of Highway 40 and Highway 540.

BURLINGTON, ON – IKEA Canada is thrilled to make the next stop on its coast-to-coast expansion journey, with the announcement of a full-size store for Quebec City.

Scheduled to open in summer 2018, the IKEA Quebec City store will be the 14th IKEA store in Canada. It will be located at the intersection of rue Mendel and avenue Blaise-Pascal in the Sainte-Foy borough, just south of the intersection of Highway 40 and Highway 540. The store will take roughly 14-16 months to build once the ground has been broken in spring 2017 and will be approximately 340,000 square feet (31,500 metres squared) in size. The store will include a restaurant, Market Hall, Showroom, and SMALAND playroom and offer customers a complete range of convenient services including home delivery, assembly, planning, and exchanges.

“It was clear from the first day we opened the Pick-up and order point that Quebec City residents are passionate supporters of the IKEA brand,” said IKEA Canada Acting President David McCabe. “We look forward to welcoming many more customers to the new IKEA store when it opens in summer 2018.”

“Thousands of families were dreaming and waiting for this moment. Today, we are all proud to welcome the company in our city with a full size store. This announcement confirms again the strength of Quebec City’s retail market and our vigorous economy with an unemployment rate near 4%, still the lowest in the country, said Régis Labeaume, Mayor of Quebec City. “Quebec is in competition with the world and again today, a major international company chooses to do business here, in Québec, l'accent D'Amérique.”

The IKEA Quebec City store will be LEED certified when it opens. With a particular focus on energy and waste avoidance, there will be waste management equipment that will be installed to maximize material recycling and diversion from landfill. Additionally, IKEA is pleased to share that every single light source throughout the store will be LED lighting. While the store will operate in a sustainable manner, it will also provide inspiration and solutions that will enable customers to live a more sustainable life at home. For example, they will find solutions that will help them reduce and sort waste, save water and energy, and encourage healthier living.

IKEA aims to be the leader in life at home and offer its customers inspiring home furnishing solutions. Each new store is designed in a way that will present local home solutions that customers can relate to, are inspirational and are possible to implement in an affordable way. In order to best represent Quebec City customers in the new store, home visits will be conducted during the planning and design process. Home visits allow IKEA to interview people in their homes to get a deep understanding of their needs, dreams and frustrations in and around the home. It is our intention with this research not to mirror what people have in their homes today, but to help people live a better everyday life at home and give them new ideas to solve their needs. In November 2015, IKEA Canada announced a coast-to-coast expansion plan to double the store count from 12 to 24 stores in the next 10 years. The Quebec City store is the second stop on this journey. The retailer announced a new store for Halifax earlier this year.

ABOUT IKEA CANADA
IKEA is a leading home furnishing retailer with 375 stores in more than 50 countries worldwide, which are visited by 884 million people every year. IKEA Canada has 12 stores, an eCommerce virtual store, 6 Pick-up and order points in Quebec City and southern Ontario and two Collection Points in Halifax and Saskatoon. The company also recently announced plans to open stores in Halifax and Quebec City. Last year, IKEA Canada welcomed 25 million visitors to its stores and 75 million visitors to the IKEA.ca website. Founded in 1943, IKEA’s business philosophy is to offer a wide range of products of good design and function at prices so low, the majority of people can afford them. For more information on IKEA, please visit: www.IKEA.ca.
http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/about_ikea...e_announcement

Old Posted Sep 8, 2016, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
I'm curious as to what IKEA's motivation was to open their first North American store in Dartmouth, of all places.

Maybe the fact that Dartmouth also had a Volvo assembly plant was a factor?
Actually the assembly plant was in Halifax

Old Posted Sep 8, 2016, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haliguy View Post
Actually the assembly plant was in Halifax
It was briefly in Dartmouth (Woodside, IIRC) in a converted building (sugar plant?) before they built their custom plant in Halifax.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2016, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
It was briefly in Dartmouth (Woodside, IIRC) in a converted building (sugar plant?) before they built their custom plant in Halifax.
That is correct.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2016, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
That is correct.
Not totally. They did begin in the old sugar refinery building in Dartmouth but then moved to a north-end Halifax pier building (Pier 9?) for the majority of their time here before building their own assembly plant in Bayers Lake a few years before they shut down the entire operation.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2016, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Not totally. They did begin in the old sugar refinery building in Dartmouth but then moved to a north-end Halifax pier building (Pier 9?) for the majority of their time here before building their own assembly plant in Bayers Lake a few years before they shut down the entire operation.
Correct. Wasn't planning to go into detail in that post.

I posted a photo of the building you mention in another thread some time ago, the link is here:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...143037&page=17

Quote:
Volvo factory at the narrows, 1971.

Source: http://www.canadiancar.technomuses.c...an/images#main

From what I've read, this was the second location of the Volvo plant, the first one being in the old sugar refinery building in Dartmouth, and the third and last being in Bayers Lake. The factory was set up to get around import tariffs by shipping partially assembled cars to Halifax and having the remaining assembly done here. There are lots of sources of information online for those who want to know more, so I won't provide more details here.

This is what the property looks like 'today' on Bing Maps:

Source: http://binged.it/1waCwVY

Old Posted Sep 10, 2016, 12:42 PM

Wink Little known fact

Did you know that there is 4/5 Volvos that sit at the bottom of the Bedford Basin?
They were tossed overboard in a storm and never recovered.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2016, 12:54 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNovaScotian View Post
Did you know that there is 4/5 Volvos that sit at the bottom of the Bedford Basin?
They were tossed overboard in a storm and never recovered.
This is off topic, but I found this to be interesting so I Googled it and found the following information and image:

story and image source - http://www.krakensonar.com/en/our-so...ssing-software

As a segue back to the topic of the IKEA store, does anyone have any recent construction pictures?

Old Posted Sep 10, 2016, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
This is off topic, but I found this to be interesting so I Googled it and found the following information and image:

story and image source - http://www.krakensonar.com/en/our-so...ssing-software

As a segue back to the topic of the IKEA store, does anyone have any recent construction pictures?
I was over there last weekend, to go for a wander around Shubie Park. The site is well prepared with amazing large, flat terraces on the hillside, but I didn't see any evidence of construction yet. No foundations, obvious excavation, etc. It is possible that excavation has started though, as I didn't climb up to the grade of the store itself.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2016, 3:33 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrynorthend View Post
I was over there last weekend, to go for a wander around Shubie Park. The site is well prepared with amazing large, flat terraces on the hillside, but I didn't see any evidence of construction yet. No foundations, obvious excavation, etc. It is possible that excavation has started though, as I didn't climb up to the grade of the store itself.
Thanks for the update.

The large flat terraces on the hillside sounds very interesting. Is it this sort of terraced parking lot? (without the stadium):

(source: https://blog.parkme.com/2013/04/05/d...adium-parking/ )

Old Posted Sep 10, 2016, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the update.

The large flat terraces on the hillside sounds very interesting.
No, not really. I wish I had taken a picture. There has been extensive site preparation of the entire new phase that will contain Ikea and Cabela's among others. The whole phase sits quite high relative to the 118 and the existing properties in Dartmouth Crossing. There appears to be varying site-specific elevations in the new phase. For example, It looks like Ikea's property may sit above Cabela's, which in turn is quite a bit above the highway. (If I am guessing correctly as to the prepared sites.)

Old Posted Sep 10, 2016, 11:50 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrynorthend View Post
No, not really. I wish I had taken a picture. There has been extensive site preparation of the entire new phase that will contain Ikea and Cabela's among others. The whole phase sits quite high relative to the 118 and the existing properties in Dartmouth Crossing. There appears to be varying site-specific elevations in the new phase. For example, It looks like Ikea's property may sit above Cabela's, which in turn is quite a bit above the highway. (If I am guessing correctly as to the prepared sites.)

From your description and this site plan that q12 posted on page 1, I think I can visualize the layout - http://thechronicleherald.ca/sites/d...chC4800-01.jpg

It will be an interesting configuration once all the buildings are completed.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2016, 2:04 AM

Here is an updated map:

High Resolution PDF: http://www.centrecorp.net/properties...mouth/site.pdf

Old Posted Sep 11, 2016, 2:11 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Horrific location.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2016, 2:17 AM
Halifax Promoter!

The new hotel is a Marriott? Shows so on the map.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2016, 12:57 PM

Quote:
From your description and this site plan that q12 posted on page 1, I think I can visualize the layout - http://thechronicleherald.ca/sites/d...chC4800-01.jpg
Yes, exactly. In that map you can see that they have drawn in contours (black dashed-lines) around the properties. Use those to help visualize the tiered effect of the site. As you can imagine, standing below grade even at the highway 118 overpass, I couldn't see ground level activity on the IKEA site. Presumably some excavation has begun since they had the ground breaking ceremony. It will be nice to see steel start to rise!

Old Posted Sep 12, 2016, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
Horrific location.
... and why is that?

Old Posted Sep 12, 2016, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddifax View Post
The new hotel is a Marriott? Shows so on the map.
interesting indeed Marriott just bought the Burnside Ramada too and are converting it to a Delta

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs