HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Jul 30, 2010, 4:30 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
The Nova Scotia deficit for 2009 - 2010 will come in at $241.9 which is far less than the earlier projection of $592.1 million projected last September (2009). Penny pinching and a better than expected Canadian economy are to be credited for the much smaller deficit. This is according to a bulletin released today by allnovascotia.com.

The deficit of $241.9 million dollars is peanuts compared to the multi-billion dollar deficits of Ontario and BC.
Just to add to this - if the province hadn't prepaid $341 million of this year's university payments (2010 - 1011) on last year's budget (2009-2010), the province would have had a surplus instead of a deficit for 2009 - 2010 (source - allnovascotia.com). Interesting note - the province won't record a university payment this year 2010 - 2011 (apparently it will start recording the payment in the year that it is made, starting in 2011 - 2012 year's budget). So get ready for a good budget surplus in 2010 - 2011 because of the university payment not being included on the provincial account books (but it will just be accounting - this sounds like politics).

Old Posted Jul 30, 2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Just to add to this - if the province hadn't prepaid $341 million of this year's university payments (2010 - 1011) on last year's budget (2009-2010), the province would have had a surplus instead of a deficit for 2009 - 2010 (source - allnovascotia.com). Interesting note - the province won't record a university payment this year 2010 - 2011 (apparently it will start recording the payment in the year that it is made, starting in 2011 - 2012 year's budget). So get ready for a good budget surplus in 2010 - 2011 because of the university payment not being included on the provincial account books (but it will just be accounting - this sounds like politics).

That's exactly what it is.

Steele was crowing yesterday about how putting an end to "March Madness" was responsible for this. That is bogus. The usual binge of spending went on as always. Ads were on TV constantly during the month of March as the Dept of Health Promotion went on a massive nannying campaign to use up their inflated budget. And of course there were all sorts of announcements in March about various govt largesse to any number of groups. What really happened regarding the deficit was simply this: Steele put forward an absolute worst-case scenario originally to make the books look as bad as possible. The actual results were never going to be as bad as that, so it should be no surprise when the reality was better than what he said. This way, he can take credit for something that he actually had very little to do with.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2010, 10:42 AM
Honored Member

I think that the NDP will make it appear as though they brought the province back from the brink of economic ruin. If they play the game of politics well (and they appear to be masters) they could be in power for a long time.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2010, 11:11 AM
Honored Member

This report was in the Chronicle Herald today. It has some good points, however just as a warning, it was initiated by the NDP (I don't favour the NDP, but if they can really strengthen the NS economy then I might change my mind).

I highlighted one section regarding human resources. I keep thinking that the Halifax area has a huge resource in its educated and skilled workforce - the province just has to keep these people in Nova Scotia and have them contribute to the Nova Scotia economy (and this goes for all of the Maritime Provinces).

Quote:
Economy hinges on Halifax, study says
Prof has 24 ideas to spark N.S. prosperity
By JEFFREY SIMPSON Provincial Reporter and The Canadian Press
Fri, Jul 30 - 4:53 AM

DONALD SAVOIE

The economic success of Nova Scotia, and the other Maritime provinces, hinges largely on the health and prosperity of Halifax, a new study says.

Donald Savoie, who submitted his report on Nova Scotia’s economic development efforts to Premier Darrell Dexter on Thursday, is recommending the province capitalize to a greater extent on Halifax’s potential to spur wider growth and investment in the region.

"It’s a gem of a city, it’s a world-class city," said Savoie, a professor of public administration at the University of Moncton.

Savoie cited several attributes of the capital that could be further promoted to attract more business, including its natural geographic location next to the ocean, top-tier schools and research facilities such as Dalhousie University, and thriving firms like Ocean Nutrition.

"Success breeds success, and Halifax has spawned a fair number of success stories," Savoie said.

But it will be difficult for rural areas to prosper without Halifax leading the way, he said.

"There are people who point to Halifax to explain their economic woes," he said.

"Rural Nova Scotia needs a strong Halifax."

Savoie’s 45-page report, titled Invest More, Innovate More, Trade More, Learn More: The Way Ahead for Nova Scotia, lists 24 recommendations that include setting up a $50-million venture capital fund and cutting some corporate taxes.

Developing human resources through greater education and training — whether through adult learning, upgrading skills or stay-in-school programs — is at the top of the list, Savoie said.

"You can’t get it wrong if you go there," he said.

"Economic development is people."

But the province also needs to streamline its efforts to promote economic development, tasking Nova Scotia Business Inc. with making first contact with new firms from other areas and designating Innovacorp as the body dealing with all venture capital matters.

"There’s an awful lot of people running around doing economic development in Nova Scotia," Savoie said.

"We certainly don’t need more. They’re tripping over each other."

Savoie, who has written about regional development for 20 years, said Nova Scotia businesses need to invest more in research, and one way to do that would be to set up a venture capital fund with federal, provincial and private funds.

He said there’s a lack of venture capital in the Atlantic region, and small companies have a harder time finding startup cash than firms in Ontario, Quebec or the West do.

Savoie said Ottawa could provide $10 million to $20 million to help create a venture capital fund in the region, and the province should match that and then invite private partners to run the fund. He expects private venture capital investors would then match the public money.

"I’m saying they should go after the federal dollars . . . and it should be located in Halifax and it should have the freedom to invest wherever there are opportunities in Atlantic Canada," Savoie said.

Venture capitalists generally invest in small startup firms with the aim of helping them grow large enough to become profitable, publicly traded companies.

Savoie’s report also calls for the elimination of the province’s capital tax, which the Dexter government is already phasing out.

In addition, Savoie said, the province should increase tax credits for businesses that invest in themselves.

Dexter asked Savoie to come up with ideas on how the government could help the province’s private sector after an economic advisory report last November noted Nova Scotia’s dire financial situation.

Savoie acknowledged his proposals would cost the province more in tax revenues at a time when it is facing budget deficits. But he argued that the province must consider how much revenue a growing private sector could generate if it could invest more in its productivity.

Savoie also gave the government credit for trying to get the province’s financial house in order. He said Nova Scotia compares favourably to neighbouring provinces such as New Brunswick, which is facing a $750-million deficit and still unwisely planning to cut taxes.

"The Dexter government has made some courageous steps forward," Savoie said.

"Some tough decisions have been made."

Dexter commissioned the independent report at a cost of $85,000 and will now send it to his Council on the Economy for further study.

"There’s a lot to chew on in the Savoie report," the premier said.

"These are all things that we’ll be considering over the next couple months."

Liberal economic development critic Zach Churchill urged the province to immediately adopt some of Savoie’s recommendations, especially making its tax regime more competitive.

"We’ve been encouraging this government to reduce small business taxes," Churchill said.

"We need to make sure we have a system that supports small business owners and entrepreneurs."

Churchill also said a high HST and personal income taxes are holding the province back.

( jsimpson@herald.ca)

‘Rural Nova Scotia needs a strong Halifax.’

Last edited by fenwick16; Jul 30, 2010 at 1:21 PM.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2010, 2:55 PM

Well the better off they play up the province's books now, the harder it will make it for them to back off from their (well Rodney's at least) commitment to the new Trade Centre. Because I have been thinking that surely the most political thing for them to do would be to walk away from the Rank development citing, "We support it in principle, but there just isn't the money at this time..." (Political = coward)

Old Posted Jul 30, 2010, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrynorthend View Post
Well the better off they play up the province's books now, the harder it will make it for them to back off from their (well Rodney's at least) commitment to the new Trade Centre. Because I have been thinking that surely the most political thing for them to do would be to walk away from the Rank development citing, "We support it in principle, but there just isn't the money at this time..." (Political = coward)
The NDP own the Halifax area in votes. It has for many years. Its the rural nova scotia that put this government into a majority state. If they don't cater to the rural then they will certainly be at a political disadvantage come election time. The recent problems in southwest nova, and cape breton needs to be address if they wish to hold their position. They need to maintain a majority position come next election or they will repeat just like the great Bob Rae in Ontario as going down as a one term government.

Therefore to support the Trade Centre will do nothing but hurt them in respect to political security.

I believe what will happen is the NDP will support it in principle, but say that funding from the Federal Government is unavailable and in that way spin it that the PC's hurt Halifax, not the NDP.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2010, 3:54 PM
Honored Member

But if they do that they will jeopardize their HRM base. I think they will give this quite a bit of consideration. They have too much to lose by brushing it aside. Most businesses in the Halifax area seem to support it.

To be honest, I don't think that rural Nova Scotia will be against Halifax getting a new convention centre. Most people in rural Nova Scotia visit Halifax on a regular basis.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2010, 4:28 PM

Quote:
But if they do that they will jeopardize their HRM base. I think they will give this quite a bit of consideration. They have too much to lose by brushing it aside. Most businesses in the Halifax area seem to support it.

To be honest, I don't think that rural Nova Scotia will be against Halifax getting a new convention centre. Most people in rural Nova Scotia visit Halifax on a regular basis.
They won't lose their position in HRM. There has been a long standing correclation between NDP supporters and anti development people. Look at Howard Epstien, who argued against the twisted sisters, yet he was voted back in since then. The head of the Heritage Trust once ran for the Federal NDP seat for the area.

There would need to be a huge turn around, and the last election results show they gained more seats here.

Besides, if my theory of the fed's not supporting the funding comes true, if anything their HRM position (seats) will be stronger. It would be the PC party that would lose even more (if they had any).

Finally you would be misleading yourself to think that the rural Nova Scotia would freely support something like this without something for themselves. The loss of the ferry in Yartmouth and the lost jobs and revenue that has created has had a profound effect on the governments position in that area alone. Based on this if there was an election today i think the NDP would be very close to losing their majority position because of rural Nova Scotians, as evident during the past by elections.

Last edited by sdm; Jul 30, 2010 at 4:42 PM.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2010, 4:41 PM
Honored Member

The federal government has supported convention centres right across Canada. There is no way they will not support one in the Halifax area.

Why do anti-development people get elected in the Halifax area? It seems like people are p***ing in their own soup. Do people enjoy moving away to Toronto?

Old Posted Jul 30, 2010, 5:38 PM

Quote:
The federal government has supported convention centres right across Canada. There is no way they will not support one in the Halifax area.

Why do anti-development people get elected in the Halifax area? It seems like people are p***ing in their own soup. Do people enjoy moving away to Toronto?
I hear your feelings, i to wonder why people continue to do this.

In the end i think there is enough projects and better projects that can proceed. I mean its not like there isn't anything proposed for downtown.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2010, 5:50 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdm View Post
I hear your feelings, i to wonder why people continue to do this.

In the end i think there is enough projects and better projects that can proceed. I mean its not like there isn't anything proposed for downtown.
The office component could be eliminated, but it seems to me that Halifax really does need a larger convention centre. What better project is there that will create jobs for Nova Scotians? This isn't just a matter of building more office space.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2010, 6:29 PM

Quote:
The office component could be eliminated, but it seems to me that Halifax really does need a larger convention centre. What better project is there that will create jobs for Nova Scotians? This isn't just a matter of building more office space.
I doubt the office can be elimated without having a economic effect on the project.

I to agree, downtown Halifax is not all about building office buildings. However i am not sure how many jobs a new convention centre will create.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2010, 6:36 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
I doubt the office can be elimated without having a economic effect on the project.

I to agree, downtown Halifax is not all about building office buildings. However i am not sure how many jobs a new convention centre will create.
This is turning into a never ending debate. So I give up, I am going to put my faith in the numerous reports that indicate that it will create jobs and my own gut feeling that it will be a popular destination.

Personally, I would get much more excited about a $120 million dollar stadium versus a $120 million convention centre but I know there is more chance of a convention centre succeeding.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2010, 7:23 PM

Quote:
This is turning into a never ending debate. So I give up, I am going to put my faith in the numerous reports that indicate that it will create jobs and my own gut feeling that it will be a popular destination.

Personally, I would get much more excited about a $120 million dollar stadium versus a $120 million convention centre but I know there is more chance of a convention centre succeeding.
Nah Fenwick its a fun debate.

I too would rather see money spent on a stadium then a new trade centre. The existing one can be made into the metro centre and still hit the targets.

The reports i find are very biased, in that the data has been supplied by the propoent wishing for a new complex.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2010, 8:51 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

That's a pretty solid article. I agree that economic development should be simplified in the province. It should focus on providing access to capital, particularly for growing companies based on the province - this is a much better solution than spending millions to attract branch offices and call centres that will leave as soon as they see something better.

Obviously lower taxes are also very important and in the long run I think they are fairer since they benefit everybody more equally than handouts to particular companies.

They don't need to focus particularly on Halifax, they just need to focus on businesses that are likely to provide returns, although I do think that in the absence of government involvement more economic activity in the Maritimes would be centralized in Halifax, and somewhat more would end up in Moncton. In the past, too much effort was focused on distributing economic development around the province. This is unrealistic - not every town is going to be able to continue as it was in 1950. It is also a little unnecessary since much of the province is relatively close to the city. In the worst case, I don't really feel so bad for people who have to move from Yarmouth to Halifax if they want to make more money. I am from Halifax and love it there but I moved to Vancouver because of opportunities available here and because I wanted to try something different. It was a very good decision.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2010, 9:46 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Nah Fenwick its a fun debate.

I too would rather see money spent on a stadium then a new trade centre. The existing one can be made into the metro centre and still hit the targets.

The reports i find are very biased, in that the data has been supplied by the propoent wishing for a new complex.
I must a glutton for punishment.

When you state the existing one can be made into the Metro Centre - that proposal involved demolishing the Metro Centre, rebuilding it as a large convention centre and building a new Metro Centre at the Cogswell Interchange. The estimated cost was $300 million. I keep thinking that you are somewhat anti-development but maybe I am wrong, maybe you would like to see a much more extravagant proposal than I am in favour of.

When you state the reports are biased in favour of the proponent, you must be referring to the Trade Centre Limited since Rank Corp simply provided a proposal in response to a Request For Proposals. I have to ask you sdm, how many conventions and trade shows have you been to? Large cities have conventions centres that are several hundred thousand square feet and in some cases, a couple million square feet (i.e. McCormick Place in Chicago is 2,670,000 million square feet). Why do you have so little faith in the city that you live in, that you think that Halifax cannot even support a modestly sized convention centre? Do you feel that Halifax and Nova Scotia have nothing to offer to visitors?

Although I am impressed by the renderings of the Nova Centre, my biggest disappointment with the Rank Corp proposal is that I don't think it is big enough (for the convention centre portion). I think the Halifax convention centre should be similar in size to Quebec City, Winnipeg, Niagara Falls and Ottawa since I have no doubt that the new convention centre will be able to attract convention business.

PS: When you say stadium are you referring to an outdoor football/soccer/concert stadium or a hockey/basketball arena - there seems to be some variation in the use of the terms - personally I mean an outdoor football/soccer/concert stadium as opposed to a new Metro Centre II.

Last edited by fenwick16; Jul 30, 2010 at 11:50 PM.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2010, 1:46 PM

Not much gas left in the tank
As Sable offshore revenue plummets, province faces hard decisions
By DAVID JACKSON Provincial Reporter
Mon, Aug 9 - 6:55 AM

‘. . . the fundamental challenge facing our government is we have all these expensive programs that were fuelled by high royalties, but the problem is that now the royalties are not high and we still have the programs to pay for.’ — Graham Steele, Finance Minister(STAFF / File)

The drop of millions in offshore revenue is a stark example of the financial problems facing the province, says Finance Minister Graham Steele.

When the NDP won power in June last year, the province had just reaped a $452-million windfall in royalties from the Sable Offshore Energy Project.

That was the high-water mark in provincial royalties since production started in 1999, but declines in production and natural gas prices decimated the provincial take last year by 72 per cent, to $126 million.

"The huge hit was between the previous government’s last year and our first year," Steele says. "We were unlucky enough to accept the handoff. . . . It’s no wonder that our government is running a deficit right now."

Looking ahead, the province estimates royalties will bounce back up to $174 million this year, but the revenue is going to dwindle.

A new project, Deep Panuke, is scheduled to start production next year, but the royalties aren’t expected to come close to those recently generated by Sable.

It’s unknown just how long Sable will keep going. Lead partner ExxonMobil has said it will be for "some years," which means it’s likely to span at least the current mandate of the NDP. The next election is expected in 2013, also the NDP’s target for balancing the budget.

ExxonMobil delivered bad news to the province last month, saying it won’t expand Sable.

So, what’s the upshot for taxpayers as the revenue dries up? Tax increases? Program cuts?

Steele says those are the tough choices facing the government, borne out of not just lower royalties but other revenue sources, too.

"The royalties are just a particularly stark example of that, but it’s the challenge we’re facing across the board," he says.

"People see those decisions being made in things like an increase in the HST. . . . And as we reform things, for example, in health-care finance, which is the big spending item, part of the reason we have to do that is precisely because the revenue is drying up and we cannot for very long continue to spend more than we’re taking in."

The royalty revenue ranged from $2 million in 1999-2000 to $28 million in 2004-05. Then the steep rise came — $124 million in 2005-06, $269 million the following year, $400 million the next and then the peak, $452 million.

That last year, royalties were the province’s fifth-highest source of revenue, more than items like corporate income tax, and the tobacco and gas tax combined. The $452 million would have been enough to fund the departments of agriculture, economic and rural development, health promotion and protection, energy, environment and natural resources, with almost enough left over to cover tourism.

Steele says he "gently criticizes" the previous Tory minority government that enjoyed those big royalty paydays for creating ongoing programs with cash that was going to run out.

"We all knew that this revenue was going to hit a peak and decline," he says.

"The money should have been used a lot more carefully than it was, so the fundamental challenge facing our government is we have all these expensive programs that were fuelled by high royalties, but the problem is that now the royalties are not high and we still have the programs to pay for."

Steele didn’t give any examples of programs created with royalty cash, but said anything created during the days of high royalties is part of the problem.

Tory energy critic Cecil Clarke demands that Steele identify the programs.

"I haven’t heard which programs he finds that were ill-funded and, more importantly, which ones would he axe?" says Clarke.

Clarke says he hasn’t seen an NDP offshore energy strategy for the province, and would like to know what action the government has actually taken since ExxonMobil’s announcement.

The $1.5 billion in royalties in the last decade — exceeding a 2004 estimate of up to $1.1 billion in 12 to 15 years of Sable production — are just part of the impact offshore activity has had on the province’s bottom line.

The Energy Department released an analysis in April that showed the offshore industry employed an average of 3,200 Nova Scotians a year between 1996 and 2007. Household income averaged $117 million a year, while the industry spent $2.5 billion on development and production.

Personal income and corporate taxes could also take a hit with the offshore’s decline.

Charles Cirtwill, president of the Atlantic Institute for Market Studies, said it’s about time the government realized it has to be careful with offshore revenues.

"These are the kind of artificial crises that we create for ourselves when government goes around picking winners and losers and saying things like, ‘The offshore is going to be the saviour of Nova Scotia,’ " says Cirtwill.

"Or, what we’re saying today, ‘Renewables are going to be the saviour of Nova Scotia.’ When you pick an industry and you put all your bets on that industry, this is the kind of angst that you create for yourself. It’s unrealistic, it’s unnecessary, and it’s not how a real economy functions."

Cirtwill says a diverse economy is the only way forward for Nova Scotia, and the offshore was never going to be a cornerstone of the economy here.

Donald Savoie, who authored a recent report on economic development in Nova Scotia, also didn’t identify the offshore as a key driver of the provincial economy.

Savoie, who also chaired an advisory panel for Premier Darrell Dexter last year, said he didn’t include it in the report because so much is out of the province’s control, like natural gas prices and development of new projects.

"I would look at oil and gas as a bonus, not as a driving force," he says.

Cirtwill says it’s time for the Dexter government to get down to making the tough choices it’s talked about.

"Decide what the priorities are, and make sure that those are delivered to the highest level at the lowest cost possible," he says.

The province is embarking on an extensive expenditure review, and plans to trim the civil service by 10 per cent over four years.

Christine Saulnier, director of the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives’ Nova Scotia office, says ExxonMobil’s decision against Sable expansion is a blow to the province.

But, she pointed out natural gas prices are bound to rise, which could again spur activity offshore. She said the province can use this downturn to refine its policy framework, and even look at getting involved again in offshore projects.

"I think there is some optimism there and I think we need to be better negotiators when that does happen," she says. "And we need to be talking about that before the gas prices go up. And if we have at least a stake in the resources provincially, then companies can’t so easily pick up and make these kinds of decisions."

Old Posted Aug 10, 2010, 12:03 AM

I dunno; I don't think the 'sky is falling here'. The wells aren't dry - this is just an issue of bad timing. Look at Alberta - back before the economic blip the government had no plans to renegotiate the royalties; but then there was a huge public outcry. So they did and increased it - and then the economic blip happened. So now they've gone back and done it again and kept the increase; but phased it in.

I read a report that said that companies could make money for offshore oil at $70 a barrell; but that was years ago. So if that's true; the higher the value of a barrell of oil the better.

I suspect it's simply a matter of timing and it will come back. The oil isn't going anywhere and we aren't going to be turning to some alternative anytime soon. So let NF get some press for a while and when their reserves are running low; they will be back to NS no problem. Focus on the green energy jobs related to wind and tidal power - that's the new market to focus on.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2010, 12:46 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

The offshore is also a relatively small percentage of the NS economy. It was never hugely successful and is certainly not like Alberta or Newfoundland.

Really the story is more about properly managing government finances than it is about oil and gas. The government shouldn't treat windfalls as regular occurrences.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2010, 3:54 AM

I'm guessing there was a hope that it would eventually grow to be something big. I think that it could; it will all depend on how high up oil and NG goes. If it passes 100 a barrell for oil; I'm sure there would be more rigs out there.

But they are best to focus on things which are more realistic for the economy; green jobs. Attract more of the suppliers for Daewoo and others; you could turn Nova Scotia into a green manufacturing power house.

Just because Volvo left; doesn't mean that other green car manufacturers couldn't come. Toyota and I'm sure others could and what better way to help CN improve the rail service!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Business, Politics & the Economy