HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs

Old Posted Apr 28, 2010, 5:31 PM

As much as this style of development turns my stomach, this is a city dealing with a $30 million short-fall. Gotta hustle some fast cash before they have to start trimming services instead of council .

...now if the city decriminalized Marijuana, then the new tourist dollars would negate the need!

Looking at some of the comments on big box in the city, the Roy building would be ideal for two of these styles of commercial, just with out the parking. Shoot the NFB building! Even the At-Can self storage.

I hate that building, not so much the tower, but it irks me when I look at it. It is one of the less attractive buildings in our DT, I would even rank it just below the waffle iron, and above the Scotia Square towers.

go dogs go!

Old Posted Sep 22, 2010, 12:25 AM

New hotel coming to Bayers Lake

The Canadiana Restaurant and Lounge in the Bayers Lake Business Park is expanding to include a new Comfort Hotel and Suites.

Work on the four-storey complex is underway, and should be complete by early February, says restaurant owner, and new hotel franchisee, Peter Giannoulis.

Giannoulis said the 80-room hotel will include a swimming pool, meeting rooms and a lounge. The Canadiana Restaurant, which itself has undergone an exterior facelift, will serve as the restaurant for hotel patrons.

Market research, Giannoulis said, has concluded there’s plenty of opportunities still for new hotel development in the Halifax-metro area.

While Giannoulis expects to attract mainly business clientele to his Lakelands Boulevard hotel, its location near 100-series highways and Peggy’s Cove would be ideal for tourists, too.

“So, we’ll see,” he said.

The Canadiana Restaurant, which offers all-day breakfast, serves family-cooked meals, he said.

“We do most of the cooking in the restaurant, and we don’t buy institutional-type items,” he said.

The restaurant currently employs between 18 and 25 full and part-time employees.

Giannoulis expects to hire about 15 new employees for the hotel initially.

“It will depend on business,” he said.

Last week, the province’s tourism department said Nova Scotia welcomed 1,142,400 visitors in the first seven months of the year, up three per cent compared with the same time last year.

Tourism is an important contributor to Nova Scotia's economy. In 2008, the industry employed more than 31,000 people and generated revenues of $1.82 billion.

kmoar@hfxnews.ca

Old Posted Sep 22, 2010, 1:28 AM

ive past by this many times and figured it was a hotel but didnt know the whole story, and im pretty sure they are working on the fourth floor now
you can also see this from long lake in spryfield surprisingly

Old Posted Oct 11, 2010, 5:44 PM

Thanksgiving 2010 - Project 20

An extension onto the Bowring strip mall building;

Old Posted Nov 2, 2010, 5:59 PM

Comfort Hotel & Suites - October 30th, 2010

SSP Dmajackson 01's Photo Page

Quote:
Comfort Hotel & Suites - October 30th, 2010

Old Posted Nov 10, 2010, 11:22 PM

Last edited by q12; Apr 7, 2011 at 12:08 PM.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2010, 4:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
An extension onto the Bowring strip mall building;

According to a blog I was reading earlier this extension is to become home of a new "The Gap" outlet store.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2010, 9:22 PM

Comfort Inn & Suites today;

Old Posted Nov 21, 2010, 10:19 PM

That is the back; they appear to be using some sort of masonry cladding on the front.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2010, 5:37 AM
we built this city

Is that copper roofing?

Old Posted Dec 19, 2010, 11:53 PM

Comfort Inn & Suites on Lakeland Blvd - December 19th, 2010 (photos by me);

Old Posted Dec 20, 2010, 5:13 PM

There is an area of the Armco/Johnson Insurance office building at the corner of Chain Lake Drive and Lakelands Boulevard. The sign for the original building now has a large sticker saying "Now Leasing Tower II".

Old Posted Dec 20, 2010, 6:07 PM
we built this city

lol, "Tower" 2.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2010, 6:11 PM

That office building that is up right now is one of the nicer ones in Halifax...

Old Posted Dec 20, 2010, 6:29 PM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
lol, "Tower" 2.
depressing what passes for a tower in Halifax isn't it.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2010, 8:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyeas View Post
depressing what passes for a tower in Halifax isn't it.
Personally, I wouldn't want suburban office parks to get too big, because the transportation network and transit system isn't very good.

Here in Calgary, the benefit of the LRT is that many suburban employment centres have sprouted up around existing or proposed LRT stations and are being built awaiting construction (one in particular in the SE is awaiting the SE line; which is 20 years away).

When I look at trying to re-focus investment back into the core to strengthen it; I would want to cap most of the suburban office buildings to 5, 7 stories max. If you start letting them get much bigger, you end up hurting the core because cheaper class B and A office space becomes available in the suburbs, where you can have a sea of free parking. Why would you want to be in the core, when you could be in the burbs and park for free?

This is why I've been looking at (as a personal interest) places that are looking at limiting suburban employment centre growth and restricting parking as a step to push people back into the core. So far I'm not finding a lot of positive information.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2010, 10:57 AM
Fizzix geek

Oh I am not arguing for buildings in BLIP to be taller... merely commenting on the use of the term "tower". I suppose that relative to HT's not wanting buildings to be more that a couple of stories tall, a 7 story building is a massive tower though! :-)

Old Posted Dec 21, 2010, 9:28 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyeas View Post
Oh I am not arguing for buildings in BLIP to be taller... merely commenting on the use of the term "tower". I suppose that relative to HT's not wanting buildings to be more that a couple of stories tall, a 7 story building is a massive tower though! :-)
Exactly... IMO towers start at 12 stories.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2010, 12:42 AM

There is construction underway near the parking lot for the Johnson Insurance "tower" and Halifax Chrysler Dodge... but it doesn't look big enough to be "Tower II". It is near the street -- I am guessing it is a fast food place of some sort.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2011, 9:00 PM

I drove by this construction today.... it's certainly not tower 2 It has a side window that looks like a take-out window. There's also a wooden structure that looks like an order sign. Sounds like a fast food joint.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs