HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 9:58 PM

The Master Builder

I stumbled on this, a 1977 interview with a retired Robert Moses, the man who built New York City. He was apparently 88 years old at the time and pretty cranky at times. Fascinating.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/blueprintame...lder-1977/925/

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I stumbled on this, a 1977 interview with a retired Robert Moses, the man who built New York City. He was apparently 88 years old at the time and pretty cranky at times. Fascinating.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/blueprintame...lder-1977/925/
"By the 1930s, Moses had earned a reputation as a creator of beautiful parks in both the city and state, and later long-sought projects like the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge, but at the price of his earlier integrity. Caro ultimately paints a portrait of Moses as an unelected bureaucrat who, through his reputation for getting large construction projects done, amassed so much power over the years that the many elected officials whom he was supposedly responsive to instead became dependent on him. He consistently favored automobile traffic over mass transit and human and community needs, and while making a big deal of the fact that he served in his many public jobs (save as New York City Parks Commissioner) without compensation, lived like a king and similarly enriched those individuals in public and private life who aided him."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Po..._re-assessment

Master builder, also regarded as master destroyer. Luckily many parts of New York were saved despite his plans to tear down and build.

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 12:39 PM

Absolute power corrupts absolutely

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 10:37 PM

Delightfully well-informed comments from that video:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gray
IF U STOOGE want to know why the highways r deathtraps then just thank the post menupasual slut who hated cars jane jacobs and the GERIATRIC WEASEL robert caro just when stooge when was the last time the stupid state of n.y. even built a major monumental bridge ? need a hint? try going back to the appearance of the BEATLES AT SHEA STADIUM that is the blasphemous criminal negligence of the stupid state of n.y. in regards to its roads and UNBUILT BRIDGES and when the pussillaminous pipsqueaks of the nassau county planning commission rebuffed robert moses great bridge in 1971 the rye oyster bay bridge and instead declined towards the siren songs of the post menupasualslut who hated cars jane jacobs and the GERIATRIC WEASEL CARO WHO THOT BRIDGE BUILDING A WASTE OF TAX PAYER MONEY JUST LOOK AT THE INFRASTRUCTURAL TOILET BOWL which is what the stupid state of n.y. has degenerated into no wonder your stupid state is broke sure n.y. will be quick to build anything as long as it has a PENAL PURPOSE! elect a cuomo and build a jail.now nassau county is an econ. and socioecon. toilet bowl with the HIGHEST TAXES in the country and with no bridge to conn. is a demonic DEATHTRAP remember that storm with the innocous name SANDY!N.Y. WAS THE EMPIRE STATE but thanks to the geriatric weasel WHO WORKS PART TIME FOR THE NOXIOUS N.Y. TIMES a paper i reserve for the parakeet cage and the post menupasual slut who HATED CARS jane jacobs n.y. is now the garbage barge state remember 1987 and that notorious barge docked in gravesend bay brooklyn that blasphemous stink,in barge and that picture should be superimposed on every lisence plate in your stupid state this is the direct result of the dereliction of the stupid state of n.y. this is why your stupid state has the highest per capita taxes in america which is of course why i bolted the stupid state of n.y. the garbage barge state for the west coast of fla. in 1993 where by the way i have not paid a DIME NOT A DIME of state tax in the 20 yrs. i have lived here and being a VET i have a homestead exemption HALLELUJAH!YOUR stupid state should act as a WARNING to the world that if u want economic ruin if u want businesses to bolt your state if u want a socioecon. toilet bowl like NASSAU COUNTY or westhester rockland county the back door to HELL then just let 50 yrs. go by without building a major monumental bridge so just keep reading the noxiousn.y. times but ahhh salsberger goes broke before he GOES TO HELL!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gray
u sound like the biggest stooge in the last 5000 yrs. of recorded hist. if u want to use the word myopic why not apply it to the oast menupasual slut who hated cars jane jacobs or the GERIATRIC WEASEL ROBERT CARO . thanks to these rodents NASSAU COUNTY is an econ. and socio econ. toilet bowl AND tourism has died in the stupid state of n.y. which has degenerated into the garbage barge state no sorry your empire state died permanently in 1971 when the rye oyster bay bridge was killed by a specious fake fraudlent eco. wetlands bill ramroded thru congress by the judas iscariot gov of conn. abe ribbicolf and a SODOMITE congressman from FAIRFIELD COUNTY stu mckinney. yes the canadian waterfowl have never had it so good while 10000000 million motorists a month are consigned to a LIVING HELL!

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 1:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
Master builder, also regarded as master destroyer. Luckily many parts of New York were saved despite his plans to tear down and build.
Spoken like a fine Nova Scotian and Haligonian. Save the empty lots and run-down slums!

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 12:41 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco401 View Post
While Chris's message was vast I thoroughly enjoyed reading that.

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Spoken like a fine Nova Scotian and Haligonian. Save the empty lots and run-down slums!
That's an interesting way to describe New York's West Village.

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 5:23 PM

Quote:
If I could like a forum post, I would.

Moses' Lower Manhattan Expressway would have destroyed the entirety of Broome Street (among others), eliminating once-and-forever slum properties such as this.

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Since the works of Robert Moses inspired projects such as the Cogswell interchange, are you suggesting we save the empty streets and run-down infrastructure?

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
If I could like a forum post, I would.

Moses' Lower Manhattan Expressway would have destroyed the entirety of Broome Street (among others), eliminating once-and-forever slum properties such as this.
"If I could like a forum post, I would." I think you just did

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco401 View Post
Ahhh, looks like Mr. Trump decided to post under a pseudonym...

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 7:06 PM

Quote:
"If I could like a forum post, I would." I think you just did
Make it two...

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Y'see, I thought it was more like a way to describe locals who are against any change.

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 10:51 PM

As opposed to those who want 'change'...

...as long as 'change' has nothing to do with bicycles, skating ovals, libraries, pedestrian-focused streets, etc...

So actually: 'change' is good if it means tearing down old buildings... but 'change' is bad if it means changing anything else.

Keith, are you one of those locals who are against change???

Last edited by OldDartmouthMark; May 25, 2018 at 11:42 PM.

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
As opposed to those who want 'change'...

...as long as 'change' has nothing to do with bicycles, skating ovals, libraries, pedestrian-focused streets, etc...

So actually: 'change' is good if it means tearing down old buildings... but 'change' is bad if it means changing anything else.

Keith, are you one of those locals who are against change???

I am against waste of precious taxpayer dollars on unnecessary or frivolous things, all of which those are to varying degrees.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure