HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 3:05 AM

According to CTV news the mayor offered up the commons for there next camping trip .

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 3:11 PM

Haha.

I read in the metro today that there are only about 12 real protestors there the rest are homeless who decided to join in.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 3:34 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalNinja View Post
Haha.

I read in the metro today that there are only about 12 real protestors there the rest are homeless who decided to join in.
Oh, hahahahaahahah, how hilarious. Now when those 12 real protestors are poor enough--we'll only have a big group of homeless people! Homeless people aren't real protestors. Homeless people are just considered things that are in the way of 'real' people. DigitalNinja, you are so brilliantly funny to point this out!

These homeless people have joined the protest only because they have nothing better to do--not because they're homeless........

OR: another possibility is that homelessness is a problem in Canada and that everyone RELATED to it (which apparently included homeless people) are trying to bring attention).

My god, what's wrong with my country? I never thought I would see the day when Canadians were so dismissive of other Canadians in need, nor the unintellectual stance toward OUR LIBERTIES--WHICH INCLUDES PROTESTING.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 5:09 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

There is some pretty mean things being said on the online news forums. I'm surprised at the hate that is being directed at these folks. Homeless, jobless or not these people stayed there during a massive rain storm and now cooler temperatures. That's not an easy thing to do. Right or wrong for what they are doing I think they have earned a little more respect than has been given.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 5:24 PM
opinionated so and so

My friend Chris had this to say:

Quote:
One of the major tactical miscalculations by ONS was the decision to occupy Parade square. It has not been at all disruptive of any government or financial operations (with the exception of moving one HPX show). This is a gut check moment for the protestors. Either they resist being moved or they prove that they are unwilling to confront power, disrupt state business and are only willing to protest within the prescribed rules of the ruling class. Regardless of the reasoning, if they move to the commons they are basically receding themselves irrelevant. They need to move to a more disruptive downtown space - perhaps the lawn of province house or space in front of a major office tower or bank hq.

It isn't resistance if you only go where the state says you're allowed to go.
So basically, if they move, that's the end of that for NS. Will they move? I dunno. The point of civil disobedience is to disobey. Will they? We shall see.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 5:52 PM

I think I wasn't making my point as clear as it should be.

I used to follow these guys, before the protests started. I'm against corporate greed and the CEO's getting paid so much etc etc... But what a lot of these guys and girls are, doesn't agree with any of this.
Much of their facebook wall posts were telling people to urge others to knit their own clothes, make their own soap, buy local farm goods (This one I agree with and I do myself. I love Olsons farm up by Windsor there for meats. If you've never been you should go, they have some of the best meat in NS. Only thing is that their beef isn't hung for long enough.)
This is just stupid and not productive.
They don't have a clearly defined goal, and many of them are just lazy. And I can state this as a fact. I have never had an interview for a job that I did not get that job offered to me. It is not that hard to find a job.
And the comment about being insensitive to homeless people... Yeah I am, to the lazy ones that don't help their selves and just want everyone else to do everything for them. Almost as bad as the girls who have babies just to collect welfare and child tax rebates etc...
I have a couple homeless friends, they have stayed at my place and I have fed them etc... But do I think they are just lazy? Hell yes.

These "protests" should be handled a lot better. They are not making a statement for others to follow, they are just there... Occupying space. A protest should have a clearly defined goal with an action plan to be put in place. Not just sleep on a public space with no real impact.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2011, 11:35 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

It looks like there isn't going to a public meeting or statement release from any of the local government. The mayor of course gave his general statement where basically blames someone else.
Why is this being kept behind closed doors? What are they scared to admit? I'm willing to accept that their are laws against camping in public places so why are they so shy about the reason(s) they enforced them? They should apologize to our veterans (my Grandfather) because it looks like their fighting might have been for nothing when it comes to our right to protest and stand up for rights.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2011, 4:25 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Occupy NS takes on Walmart next.

Video Link

Old Posted Dec 7, 2011, 4:27 PM

I'm sorry, but these people need too get jobs. They aren't accomplishing anything besides annoying people.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2011, 4:33 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Unfortunately all this is doing is adding to the fact that there is no clear vision or target. Yesterday it's banks and then tomorrow it's Walmart. Then it's governments and corporations. Makes it hard to understand and side with their cause.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2011, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
Unfortunately all this is doing is adding to the fact that there is no clear vision or target. Yesterday it's banks and then tomorrow it's Walmart. Then it's governments and corporations. Makes it hard to understand and side with their cause.
Thing is they have no cause, they just protest anything they can because there useless hippies.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2011, 10:40 PM

They are taking their orders from the lefty "Adbusters" bunch of goofs, who are against the free enterprise system. That ought to tell you all you need to know.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2011, 11:32 PM
opinionated so and so

Can we please start a thread for Occupy, as this thread is about the very successful Halifax Pop Explosion show at Olympic Hall?

Old Posted Dec 7, 2011, 11:50 PM
Urban Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waye Mason View Post
Can we please start a thread for Occupy, as this thread is about the very successful Halifax Pop Explosion show at Olympic Hall?
Little bit of self-appreciation? Haha

I agree though, start a new thread.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2011, 12:29 AM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waye Mason View Post
I know I should have. Thing was this thread already had so much occupy posts in it I just added to it. There have been a lot of new threads lately and I didn't want to add to the clutter. Occupy is dead so there really isn't a need a new thread.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment