HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 2:18 AM

Historical Maps of London and area

As per MolsonExport's suggestion, here's a thread dedicated to old maps of London and area.

http://www.ontarioroadmaps.ca/Maps/O...ears/57/57.htm

Same map from the other thread, but note Highway 7 went right through St. Marys instead of bypassing it to the south, and Highway 24 north of Simcoe taking a much different route through Waterford. Also notice no Highbury south of the river to the 401!

Post any old maps or aerial photos here.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 3:25 AM
Wannabe Urbanite

Here's a close up of a large Ontario map from 1867. It's sort of crowded, and hard to read though.

And here's one of just the city from 1875

http://alabamamaps.ua.edu/historical...a/ontario.html

You can zoom in more on the website, and there are lots of other maps!

Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 3:22 PM
Wannabe Urbanite

Here's a link to one I found from 1878. It has north to the right, and nothing drawn on the south side of the Thames, so it originally threw me off a bit. I thought it was Sarnia or something!

http://www.historicmapworks.com/Map/...+1878/Ontario/

Old Posted Aug 25, 2011, 5:02 PM
bro

I've spent countless hours looking through old London city maps/aerial photos. Ages ago I made a thread about the UWO online archives, which to this day I still find incredibly interesting. They have a slew of old maps and photos that span decades. They're also fairly intuitive maps browse-wise, unlike that damn city map Simps posted, lol.

Speaking of that map, even on this tiny image you posted you can see some major changes:

- Carling Creek that runs through Ward 6 and empties into man-made Lake Horn where Piccadilly Park currently sits. This creek is now completely underground in culverts except for two portions that i know of (one at the creek's mouth by Blackfriars bridge, the other at Colborne and Pall Mall next to the CP tracks). That lake was drained sometime between 1875 and 1888. I can't say for certain, but I'm pretty sure there's a section of the original mill race in an alley off of St. George Street, but that's a boring post for another time.

- Harris Park is an island park, hella cool.

- Massive Thames River meander where Gibbons Park currently sits (top left). There's still a large marshy area at the bottom of the hill on the east side of the park. Gibbons is basically an oxbow lake like The Coves, except it's dry.

Definitely a cool map, there's a lot of interesting stuff to see.

Last edited by bolognium; Aug 25, 2011 at 5:16 PM.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 10:43 AM

Different London.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Transportation & Infrastructure